Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

peepsalot posted:

Dropped my Nexus 5 in my driveway over the weekend and busted the glass.

Should I try to repair this myself, any particular kit that is good to get?
I read a few reviews on amazon for glass replacement kits and it sounds like people are completely destroying the LCDs in the process of trying to perform the replacement.

If you bought it on the play store call Google, they'll replace it free of charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ilkhan posted:

My N5 on lollipop has issues, but not nearly as bad as what some people are reporting. I made it at least a couple weeks before having to restart from not being able to do maps+music at the same time.

I'm just hoping 5.1 helps, I'm currently rebooting my N5 2-3 times a week.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Massasoit posted:

I have a Nexus 5 as my very first smartphone and it's running lollipop 5.0.1. Seems to work great to me (with no other reference points besides fiddling with the occasional iOS device). I'm seen a lot of complaints about having to restart a phone and I guess I just don't get what the issue is. Can't stop watching that anime for two minutes to restart the phone?

edit: still poo poo at typing with swipe writing after 3 weeks.

It's really annoying that your music/podcasts/audio book cuts out randomly when you drive 2-4 hours a day and you can't restart your phone unless you pull over on the freeway once every few days.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

kitten smoothie posted:

They're finally putting month view back in the calendar.

https://plus.google.com/+Gmail/posts/gmF1LdnVbwU

About goddamn time.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
As a Verizon and t-mobile customer I'm pretty excited about Fi. It's far cheaper than either of my current plans and my t-mobile phone has the same coverage as my Verizon one does 99% of the time so tacking Sprint onto it would only improve it. The biggest downside is the nexus 6 but maybe we'll see more supported phones later this year.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Improve might be too strong but I'd feel the same way about wanting to try it even if it was only t-mobile towers.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

myron cope posted:

What does regular power save do, just turn off syncing and whatnot?

As lovely as most Samsung things are, at least they try things?

I imagine it's just the lollipop power saver, reduces the amount of syncing and make everything slow.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TraderStav posted:

Seemingly out of nowhere, my Z3c started randomly pausing podcasts and spotify with no notification coming in that would potentially do so. Is there a known bug (and hopefully resolution) with this issue? It's very annoying. I rebooted to see if that'll fix things but will need some runtime to see if it helped.

Did you get upgraded to lollipop?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

nerve posted:

Dude it's hard!!

I had this same problem. Press them at the same time and hold them, works nearly every time.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wildtortilla posted:

My Nexus 10 suddenly has awful wifi connectivity. On Sunday (April 26) I installed my own modem, up until now I've been renting one from Comcast. The new modem is an SB6141. Shortly after I installed it I noticed all my devices connected to wifi were struggling to access the internet. The news feed on Facebook was gray squares, the Awful app on my iPhone wouldn't refresh my bookmarked threads, and my work laptop had a very slow internet connection. Web browsers on all the devices struggled to load webpages and often times told me they were unable to load the page. After a few power cycles on both the modem and router everything is back to normal except the Nexus 10. I'm at a loss.

My nexus is running android version 5.1, kernal version 3.4.67-ga19s236, and the build number is LMY47D. I've checked the settings on my router and they are the same as they have been for the past 3 years. The wifi icon at the top of the screen on the Nexus is indicating a perfect connection and Ookla speed test indicates it's getting 70 down/12 up, which is in the same ball park as the other wireless devices in my house. Initially I thought it was the router at fault, but everything else has gotten its poo poo together except this Nexus 10.

I'm at a loss, does anyone have any ideas?

Try switching your DNS away from Comcast's awful garbage DNS server.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DemonMage posted:

There's no compelling reason to restart under ideal conditions. You can easily have multi-month uptime if there's no updates or memory leaks. You can get Restart back by rooting and changing to a rom with that as an option.

So basically no, there's no way to get it back. If it bothers you greatly for some reason, send in feedback and hope I guess.

Ideal conditions on a device where there was a multi-month bug that required weekly, sometimes 2-3 times a week, restarts.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

dissss posted:

Ugh - trying to deal with a Huawei G630 my mate has just bought and it only has 1GB of space in which to install apps.

This is completely unworkable and just crazy on a device (even a low end one) that was released in 2014.

How soon is just? Buyer's remorse it and get a usable phone.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

:aaaaa:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

nerve posted:

Does anyone know why I am having trouble receiving split text messages? I get the first half with the (1/2) but never get the second (2/2).

Nexus 6, 5.1, T-Mobile

I've been getting the 2/2 with the word null at the start and never receive the first half.

Nexus 5, 5.1 T-Mobile

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Magog posted:

IDK if Google Apps accounts are different for some reason but I've had forgotten gmail accounts that I rediscovered after years.

The difference is they cost money. I have no idea what google would do to purchases you've made when you stop paying for Apps (it's still a dumb name.) Maybe they'll downgrade you to a regular non-gmail google account?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

It's not lollipop.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

RVProfootballer posted:

Why is the Saygus thing stupid? Almost any complaint about it likely applies to the OPO too (unproven manufacturer, questionable to bad hardware quality [like the yellow screen issue], questionable to awful customer support), except the Saygus runs stock Android instead of Cyanogenmod, which is a positive.

They started an indiegogo campaign to raise $150,000 and instead of putting the goal at $150,000 they put the goal at $1,000,000 and put in $850,000 of their own money.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait. Really?

Why would they?

Because their other option is to get you to buy the phone, walk around with it for 2 weeks and then get a full refund for it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

revmoo posted:

My contacts don't appear there (some of them but definitely not the ones on this S3 I'm trying to xfer over)

Then they're not google contacts but are contacts local to your phone, you would need to export them to google somehow. If you originally synced them over from outlook or dejaoffice just export them to a csv and suck that up into gmail.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

BoyBlunder posted:

Why would people bring their expensive cell phones into pools? Especially a Samsung device.

Because you might need to rely on it being waterproof to the advertised spec in the future and it's better to test it now than when you actually need it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ilkhan posted:

My 5/M, ok google on charger, got the command sound. Took off charger, turned off screen (which on mine doesn't lock it), tried again and it still worked. Gonna let it sit for a minute to lock it and try again.

Maybe it's an M thing for the 5? Mine doesn't respond when the screen is off with L.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

bull3964 posted:

That almost works, but I don't always wear the watch at home so I would either have to turn it off when I take it off or toggle that setting back and forth. I would much rather them have a toggle that lets your watch ignore the priority mode of the phone. That would give me desired behavior.

It would be nice if the heart-rate monitor would check this. If no heartbeat is detected for x minutes then turn notifications back on on the phone. Make it a toggle for people with small wrists where the heart-rate thing isn't consistent.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Anyone got a suggestion for what part of Play services/Android is taking so much power? I'm pretty consistently out of battery around 1-2 PM if I don't charge during the day on a Nexus 5, 5.1.1.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

kliksf posted:

Hangouts did this really annoying thing in the 5.1.1 update. It used to be chats I had with friends through gchat and SMS showed up in the same screen and it was pretty seamless and easy to follow, everything in one place. All of a sudden in a day it changed so now you have to switch between SMS and gchat. They added a menu dropdown, which wasn't obvious at all, that has you select whether you're in SMS or gchat which is just an extra step you now have to do. There was no indication that it had changed and I had to dick around looking for my chats with my friends overseas and until I figured it out the only way I knew how to switch back and forth was to wait for an SMS or gchat to come in and get there via the notifications. It was like it went backwards from easy and convenient to making you do an extra step to see messages that came in through a different service and I can't figure out what problem they were solving by doing it that way,

Mine did this for about a week and all my hangouts/sms threads re-merged with one another this morning. I have no idea.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

RVProfootballer posted:

Typing in passwords when the keyboard doesn't show proper case :emo:

We somehow managed it for 20 years before Android came around, I'm sure we'll continue to struggle along.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

cisco privilege posted:

Surely the literal dozens of sales will cover the R&D costs of niche keyboard devices. Just look at Blackberry and their incredibly successful Q10 and Bold Classic phones.

There's cell phone companies that specifically target seniors.

e: The Jitterbug touch would be great with a keyboard, several of my clients have opted for the dumbphone because they find it difficult to navigate/type with a touchscreen.

uPen fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 9, 2015

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Call them, Google does a one time replacement of nexus 5's from the play store, no warranty needed.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fruit Chewy posted:

Is it even remotely possible that they would do anything for my 2 year old busted n5? The screen will just come on blank like 90% of the time until I do a hard reset and then it'll work for like an hour maybe. It's got significant physical wear and tear on it though, the plastic ring around the outside is cracked in several places and even missing a bit of plastic around the sim slot - so it's not like this is just a hardware defect when this phone has definitely been through some serious poo poo including getting bent at a 5 degree iphone-bendgate angle in my back pocket on a 400ft drop coaster.

Call them? I dropped mine onto bricks from around 7-8' and had a huge crack running through the whole screen. Called them said 'hey I'm an idiot and broke it what can you do' and they swapped it out for what I assume is a refurbished one for free.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

IuniusBrutus posted:

I'm about to lose my mind with my Moto X (2013). Is the Nexus 6 a decent buy at $450? Or at this point should I tough it out until October and hopefully get something with a fingerprint reader/new features?

The S6 has both of those things.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Skarsnik posted:

Yeah my n5 is just hosed now, randomly turning off, sudden battery drops etc

Considering a cheap stopgap its getting that bad

Mine just turned itself off and then on boot went through the optimizing apps process from an update. This on top of the ~4-6 hour battery life is making it difficult to use, replacement will be here this week (I hope.)

e: :aslol:

uPen fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 20, 2015

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

codo27 posted:

gently caress wireless charging, what else is out there besides the S5 that has a removable battery? Something no greater than 5". Idgaf about anything else as long as it either has 32gb of storage or a card slot. Only phones seem to be out there in a size I'd like are loving low end garbonzo

What possible use is there for a removal battery nowadays.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay, I'll get a new one from a different seller. This one was advertised as new, but it was at least open box, if not used with all of the packaging put back on to seem new. The box itself was all hosed up from being opened previously. I was too desperate for a non hosed up phone to care at the time, but I think I'll give them a lovely review after I return it. That's not okay.

E: How do I wipe all of my data off of the phone? Is that a factory reset?

I would encrypt it and then factory reset.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450006019"]
Alternatively, screen protectors are stupid and unnecessary. I haven't used one since I had an HTC Mogul with a plastic screen. There's seriously no point.

My N5 got some nasty scratches on the screen from being in jeans pockets that have that metal stud. Why would you not use a screen protector? It doesn't affect your use of the phone in any way and costs like $10.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

hooah posted:

I just got updated to Android Pay + Wallet. Is it expected behavior that only my loyalty cards carried over and none of my credit/debit cards?

You need to confirm that you have the cards by reentering the security codes.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Godinster posted:

Just get rid of the terrible Facebook application. Especially now that Chrome can send notifications for it

Mine just started doing this and it's driving me crazy, how do you tell chrome to not send website notifications without permission?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450631825"]
The G4 is a top 2 camera, according to dx0: http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/LG-G4-Mobile-review-A-new-contender-in-the-top-3/LG-G4-vs-competition-Podium-position-for-image-quality

Strangely, the Moto X Style is tied with it and the Note 4 (and the S6 edge+/Note 5 aren't on the list).

The G4's camera app is awful garbage though, so it's a shame there's nice hardware behind it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

nocal posted:

Based on this leaked presenation, the "camera bump" on the Nexus 6P is 1) for better low light photography, and 2) not nearly as bad-looking as it has previously appeared.

It looks way better than I thought from the older leaks. I'm seriously considering swapping to this from my GS6 because of the horrendous screen-on-time.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

zer0spunk posted:

Samsung Pay is out today if anyone of you are on the s6/edge/n5/edge+

Just like Android Pay, Chase isn't supported. It's not like it's one of the three largest banking institutions in the united states or anything.

Oddly enough chase has it's own Apple Pay website though.

Citi works in Samsung, not in Android
BofA works in both
Simple works in Android but not Samsung
All of the above work in apple.

Besides card compatibility (which is loving weird) I like samsung pay a lot more than apple, the magnetic stripe simulator thing has worked perfectly for me so far.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Honestly I had no idea the charger/cable was even covered by any warranty. Refunding you the cost of the charger is a decent solution and totally reasonable for a product that isn't sold separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Rusty Kettle posted:

Anyone nervous about the 810 in the 6P? Have the issues with that chip been addressed or were they overblown? No one seems to be concerned.

The 2.1 chip is supposed to be an improvement but my gs6 already gets so hot I really couldn't care less. Besides it'll be winter by the time I get one, save on some heating bills.