Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

sharkytm posted:

My wife is going on a trip involving a beach and no security, so I bought her the $60 BLU R1 HD as a burner/beach phone instead of her S7.

It's actually a decent phone. Unencrypted, it's really quick, smooth, and has a very bright screen. Battery life seems acceptable, the skin is very light and unobtrusive, and the ads on the lock screen are too. Amazing what you can get cheap these days.

The single rear speaker is kind of a shame, but that's the first issue I found.

The BLU R1 HD doesn't look like it's available in the UK, so has anybody got any recommendations for cheap smart phone that is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Reception being poo poo is a big killer of battery for me, both on my old phone and my new 5x. I've got into the habit of putting my phone in aeroplane mode whenever i get into work, and the manually enable the wifi so somebody can reach me via email / hangouts.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

Melraidin posted:

I'm glad that they have the parent profile but what I was meaning was a way to lock it into a single application. It's not that I don't want the kids using other applications, just they're young enough and not coordinated enough to avoid hitting buttons. They'll accidentally go to the home screen or something and can't yet sort out how to get back. It's getting better but would be nice to be able to lock it to just one application unless some magic key press is made.

Look up screen pinning. Think its only available on lollipop and above though.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
So, my 2 year old nexus 5x has finally bit the bullet and has the dreaded boot loop issue.

I'm in the UK with a budget of around £250 for a SIM unlocked phone.

I've read through the last few pages of thread, and people have mentioned that Moto are dropping the ball a bit with updates, so maybe the Moto g5s plus isn't a good choice now?

Reviews of the Nokia 6 don't seem that great, so I've been looking at the Honor 7x.

Anybody had any experience with the 7x?

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
I pulled the trigger on the new p smart when my 5x died. Took a little getting used to to find where things were, but on the whole the Huawei OS seems fine.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

explosivo posted:

So I'm pretty sure the GPS on my S7E is completely hosed, it's failed on me a couple times when I needed it and it will show me in some random city ~30 minutes from where I actually was, then I'll get a signal lost error in maps, and cycle in and out, but lately it seems like it just doesn't work at all. I did all the normal stuff like checked the location settings, it's in high accuracy mode, and tried clearing cache for the hell of it but nothing doing. Are my only options at this point trying a factory reset and seeing if that gets it working? I was hoping to squeeze out a bit more with this phone before having to pony up for an upgrade but I literally got lost the other night because I missed an exit and wasn't able to use the GPS to get back on track.

Didn't see anyone else with any suggestions so have you tried https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2

You can reset the GPS cache from there and other stuff

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
I too have been getting these ;/ I've now set calendar not to sync with gmail (Events from gmail I think its called) and I think that may have solved it.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Although I've never tried it to a Samsung phone, can you get an adb connection? I'm sure you can uninstall stuff via adb. A quick google has some threads on xda that might help?

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Has anyone here used a phone with the Snapdragon 730 in it?

I'm looking to get a mi9t here in the UK, and all the reviews are positive about it, but wondered if there were any Goon opinions?

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
If you want to try removing the crap without resorting to a custom ROM, you could try:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/k20-pro/help/how-to-rid-mi-bloatware-pre-installed-t3975121

Take a look at the adb commands.

Disclaimer - I've not done that myself or own said phone.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
I loved my 5x until it stopped working 😭

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Vanced is great too.