Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Currently running a HTC One M7 on Sprint, in SD so just basically don't even get 3g service. Getting off that plan ASAP and planning on using an AT&T mvno. Had my eyes on a Moro G until I figure out if I NEED a flagship phone- am I crazy?

(Comedy option: Fire Phone since I have Prime and could use another free year, and since you can sideload Google services super easy now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Mooktastical posted:

A Moto G suits that purpose, but wouldn't it be better to just make the one purchase? Why the rush? What kinds of things are you looking for in your next phone?

Edit: The Fire Phone is on fire sale, but is still a lovely phone.

No rush to get a specific phone, but I AM in a rush to get away from Sprint! Basically can't use mobile internet here at all ( as far as I can tell, I'm around 2g speeds IF it loads). Essentially if I'm not on WiFi, this HTC One is a dumb phone! I guess I'm more asking for an AT&T MVNO compatible android. What suggestions do you have? I'd LIKE to keep it under 200$ or 300$ at the highest end.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Moto X 2013 looks interesting! Any suggested retailer to look at? Amazon has a ton of different listings!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Thanks! If I'm reading that right, is that version compatible on Verizon AND AT&T (gsm)? Sorry for all the questions! I can trouble shoot a PC all day but I am flying blind with phones...

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Thanks for the help everyone! Probably going to pick up a new Moto X 2013 off eBay tomorrow. Now for the service. I've seen a couple people recommend Cricket and some stuff online mention Straight Talk... Any opinions there?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

LastInLine posted:

Cricket is the better choice, whatever the price difference.

That's what I've been reading online as well. Glad I asked for the S.A. opinion! Will probably stop by Wal-Mart after work and see if they have a cricket SIM kit. Thanks again everyone for your help. :)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
What's the story with the Oneplus One? It's interesting, but I don't know a drat thing about it other then reviews online...

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

sleepwalkers posted:

I just don't think it's a particularly great phone; seeing OnePlus' other PR and manufacturing screw-ups is just funny, regardless of how good the phone is. Unless you have a really great reason for buying off-contract, I wouldn't consider it. Even then, I'd still prefer a 1st gen Moto X or a used M8 first.

Oh I already bought the 1st gen moto x :) I was just curious.

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 25, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'd like to thank everyone who suggested a 2013 Moto X and Cricket. God drat it feels great to have legit fast cell service again and the phone is fantastic. I really love the active display as well, didn't think I'd get much use out of it, but its very handy.

If I want to upgrade in the future, what's a step up, but also keeps the smaller size? Z3 compact?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Girlfriend just picked up a Droid Turbo. God drat is that a nice phone...

Unrelated to Droid Turbo, how is the S5 Active? Seen a couple for fairly cheap since people are jazzed for the S6

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I think this got missed on a previous page, but what is the consensus on the Galaxy S5 Active? I'm finding some pretty cheap (cheaper then the vanilla s5) and was hoping for some goon opinions. I don't mind touch wiz but I am also not in that much of a hurry to pick up another phone.
Currently using the recommend 2013 Moto X and it really is fantastic.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

nimper posted:

Is there any particular reason you want to switch?

Not necessarily switching :) More I'd not seen/heard of it before and was intrigued.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Kinda a "service" question as well as an android question- looking at the Zenfone 2s on ebay that have 4g LTE on 2100/11900/1800/1700mhz AWS/850/900/700. Would that work on AT&T/Cricket? Can someone easily explain how these bands work? I can't find an easy explanation.. (Or I dont know where to look? :()

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

SB35 posted:

http://www.willmyphonework.net/

Make sure you know exactly which model Zenphone2 it is. There seems to be several different sub models.

Thanks!! I'm not even sure what models I've looked at, but this definitely gets me headed in the right direction.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I just need to see a few more reviews covering the Intel processor before I'm all in.

Same. I've watched some YouTube reviews (yeah yeah I know) that have been highly positive, and the benchmarks I've seen have also been positive. Still, I'd like to see Anandtech or someone review it before I drop the $.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Well looking at "will my phone work" shows that the global model of the new zenfone 2 WOULD work on Cricket/at&t but its a fairly small result of LTE bands. Guess I will hold off and hope a US release date is announced.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

nimper posted:

AT&T/Cricket primarily uses Band 4 (1700 mhz) and 17 (700mhz) for LTE.
Zenfone 2 supports both 4 and 17, plus band 2 and 5 which AT&T also uses in some areas.

edit: Actually some of the variants don't have Band 17 support, so you need to be careful which one you choose.

Thanks! Yeah the ones I've found support 1700 for sure, but 700 doesn't look as consistent, or at least they indicate 700 MHz but then "band 28". I take it that wouldn't work? Or if it supports 1700/700, it has to specify bands 4 and 17?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Crossposted with the plan thread, but how easy is it to change phones on Cricket? Like for example if they use different size Sim cards. Would I be able to just buy an adaptor and swap Sim cards, then have cricket activate the new phone? Can I switch phones back and forth? I've been with Sprint for so long I don't know how this works :S

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Lblitzer posted:

You can change plans on a whim from the app or online. Or even calling into CS I'm sure but why would you abuse yourself like that? I use a sim adapter. Got a nano originally and bought myself an adapter as my others phones have all been micro-sim.

Yeah I was pulling my hair out trying to understand WHY I would want more then one Sim if I could just reuse the same one. Do you know how it works if I buy a phone direct from Cricket? They made it sound like I would NEED a new Sim card if I bought direct since it seems they want to activate it immediately before shipping.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

SB35 posted:

If you already have an account on cricket, then you won't qualify for the rebate so then the phone won't be free.

If you're starting a new line of service the phone will actually come with a SIM card, then you can just use a SIM card adapter in order to move that SIM into any other phone. The SIM card won't be activated until you receive it, and there is no need to activate it when switching phones.

Nah I already have Cricket, I think the chat rep thought I was a new customer too.. :)

I asked a different rep what I would need to do if I bought a phone direct from them on an existing line, and he said just swap the Sim card over and update the IMEI/MEID seems easy enough.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

SB35 posted:

No need for this. Just swap Sim cards.

You do know you don't qualify for the rebate unless you buy a new line with it, right?

Oh yeah I know, sorry I didn't clarify! :) I was honestly more curious how the procedure went. Thanks again!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Personally not having any experience with LG phones, my coworkers G2 still seems pretty great. His battery life is also incredible for having had it and run it rough since the phone came out. Still love my 2013 moto x though.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I keep trying to find a US release date for the drat Zenfone 2 and all my Googling has turned up is a very vague "sometime in April". Does anyone have any more info then that?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I spent way too long looking at dodgy websites translated by google only to finally realize I should go to the source:
http://www.asus.com/Phones/ZenFone_2_ZE551ML/specifications/

The one I see missing 12 which is T-Mobile's new lower frequency LTE channel.

Beat me to it! It looks like an honest to goodness US model, not just an Unlocked GSM with some T-Mobile/AT&T LTE

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Can I buy a Consumer Cellular "branded" phone at Sears for like 100$ less then Amazon and just pay 3$ on eBay for an unlock code and just use my Cricket SIM? Same model and everything, I think it SHOULD work but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Captain Yossarian posted:

Can I buy a Consumer Cellular "branded" phone at Sears for like 100$ less then Amazon and just pay 3$ on eBay for an unlock code and just use my Cricket SIM? Same model and everything, I think it SHOULD work but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts

Quoting myself since I think it got lost further up :)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Gobbeldygook posted:

Lollipop came to my LG G2 a few days ago and I hate it. It has dramatically reduced the performance of my phone (apps take much longer to open/close, it's seriously sluggish at all times, etc), apps freeze up for a while occasionally, etc. I never rooted it. Is there any way to get rid of this bullshit and go back to the nice phone I used to have?

Quoting this because I didn't want it to get lost. I had a similar issue on my HTC One m7. If I remember correctly, I solved all my issues by rebooting into recovery and doing SOMETHING. It had to do with dvalik vs ART and switching from Kit Kat to L. . This reboot/refresh solved all my issues and I'm hoping someone else here knows what im talking about because I can't find the link...

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Kerbtree posted:

Cleared your cache partition from the recovery menu? Then clear all app caches from the storage setting.
My 5.0.2 Moto G has been well-behaved since doing this.

That was it thank! Gobbeldygook I'm not sure how to do that on your G2 but someone here might know and I'm sure Google will!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

comper posted:

I don't see why not, many reviewers get their phones early from overseas sources and they work fine on GSM networks here. Just remember the green color is only for the Edge variant. I ended up returning the N6 (big with no special features taking advantage of the extra size, middling battery life and so-so camera) and preordering an Edge instead, I'll post impressions at some point.

International GSM versions rarely if ever work on domestic 4G/LTE GSM networks here in the US. More specifically, they rarely support the LTE bands AT&T and T-Mobile use here. Bigger manufactures like Samsung have TONS of different models supporting a different set of GSM bands per. I've read that the green version is international only so that would definitely NOT work on domestic LTE. Someone in either this thread or the recommend a plan thread shared this web site: http://www.willmyphonework.net/, there are 10-13 different models of S6 and around 10-11 of the Edge so if you buy international, check your coverage first.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

comper posted:

Fair enough. I've just seen a lot of reviews of the S5/Note 4 where they get the international Exynos versions before/after release and they just pop in their T-Mobile/ATT SIM cards and they work just fine. Same with that Xiaomi Note and the G3 that was released earlier in Korea than the US. Maybe it is different with the S6/Edge but we will see.

You know what, this is a good point. I have a SNEAKING suspicion that they only test the international phones on 3g or HSPA+ (differs if people call hspa+ 4g or not). Most phones (including international versions) seem to support 3g/4g but rarely LTE in the US due to market segmentation. For example: the Huawei Ascend Mate 2 sold in the US Market supports wildly different LTE bands then the Chinese/SE Asian models. Someone more knowledgeable then I may want to weigh in on it, but I don't recommend buying an international model of ANY phone if LTE in the US is a concern.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

comper posted:

Also, just got my shipping notification from Verizon for my Edge. Should have it tomorrow, a day earlier than I expected, so that's neat. haha

Nice.
I'm still torn on what to upgrade to from my 2013 moto x so more goon reviews are always appreciated. Buying straight cash means I plan on waiting a bit longer for consensus. M9 is out, not sure if 2014 moto x would be a big enough upgrade and the Nexus 6 doesn't do much for me. Waiting to see some reviews for the Zenfone 2 but man, this S6/Edge hype is getting to me..

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Thanatosian posted:

So, I need to get a couple of smartphones for my parents. Neither of them are tremendously tech-savvy, and they're in an area where the only real carrier options are Verizon and U.S. Cellular, both GSM-only networks. To further complicate things, my dad is highly likely to lose or destroy his phone with some frequency, so I don't want anything too high-end for him.

I'm leaning towards just getting them both Moto Es (since the newer Moto G is CDMA). My dad is likely to stick with U.S. Cellular, so I'm probably just going to get them both on prepaid plans in order to keep costs down.

Are there other phones I should be looking at? Definitely not anything over $400 for my mom, and $250 would probably be pushing it for my dad. Am I right to be looking at prepaid, or is Verizon going to have a better package for 1-2 users on contract?

The 2014 Moto G is most definitely GSM

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

RZA Encryption posted:

Why would you get anything buy the Nexus 6? Official support from google.

If you are serious there are a LOT of people that don't like the Nexus 6.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

nerve posted:

Only reason I've heard is that it's too big (it's not, anyone would get used to it in a couple days)

From second hand experience (I don't own one, but a couple coworkers do) the battery life is pretty poor. Looking at the Anandtech review, it's got worse battery life then the Nexus 5 and the battery life on that phone was laughable. A powerful phone and it looks good, but the battery life killed it for me.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uhh, I upgraded from a Nexus 5 and the battery life is significantly better. I have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm going off reports from coworkers and the Anandtech review. They could be wrong? Like I said, I don't have the phone, just giving reasons why people may not want it.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

RZA Encryption posted:

=)

I guess I'm just not a power user like the rest of y'all. I've never had to worry about battery with my N6. Coming from the '13 X I was really worried about the size, but it was surprising how quickly I adjusted to it.

That was one of thing I REALLY liked about the N6 since the 2013 moto x may be just a little small for my giant hands...

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Couple reviews out there for the Zenfone 2 as of today. Reviews are positive for the most part, some knocks on battery life but looking pretty solid for the price. Phone posting so I don't have links, but GSM Arena and I believe Android Authority have full reviews up now.

Edit: Still no US release date

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Well that's all well and good, but I don't know if I can take your post seriously until you post your glove and shoe size right here ITT

Glove and shoe size are both "Clown" as I am Ronald McDonald IRL.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

RVProfootballer posted:

Did it have a task killer you couldn't uninstall that would kick music out of memory when it was simply playing music with the screen off? Seems like even the E would be a much better option than that Huawei (1 GB ram, 1.6 GB internal storage available to user out of the box, 4.5" 854x480 display, not stock software, etc).

I'm actually a fan Huawei and I agree 100% here. We don't get many of their good brands and if you aren't getting an Ascend Mate 2, I'd stick with Moto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

the nicker posted:

Any in here used a Huawei phone before? I'm wondering how bad their software customizations are. Been slowly searching for a replacement for my beat up N5 and the P8 they just announced looks really interesting. Love the size and the camera.

I've used a friend's Ascend Mate 2 for a couple days and that phone was fantastic for what it was. The UI was meh, but not really different from any other Chinese manufacturer. The concern with Huawei is since they don't have a very sizable US presence they are spotty with OS updates and also their tiff with the US government. Only the just announced snap-to and Mate 2 support US LTE if that matters. If you live outside the US you'll have quite a bit more luck.

Edit: just saw that the P8 is supposed to come to the US in May.

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 15, 2015