Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

We have a somewhat odd samsung issue.

We're in Norway, which is in the NEE region; the phone is an exynos S10e (SM-G970F/DS). Sometime between now and November, it ended up on the 11 beta1 release. However, the Members app does not let us go to the status/beta management tab, since the phone or account is not enrolled in the beta program ... but if we press the button to enroll, we apparently can't because we're already running a beta.
Note: We have never previously successfully signed up to the beta program. As far as I know, Norway never got 11 beta for the S10e.

The current firmware version on the phone is a build number that has no hits on the internet, is not listed anywhere I can find, and is a few versions behind. The people who have been in the beta program seem to have been through beta2 and beta3 before getting the final version. It seems like 11 is out in Norway now, but there are no updates available in Settings, presumably because no delta updates from this mystery build have been created.

So, uh. Wait a few weeks to see if we get a late 11-release OTA?
Convince the boyfriend that Odin is actually fairly safe despite every single download being hosted on what looks like a malware site straight out of 2006, find a complete 11 NEE-region firmware somewhere, and try to just bang it on there?

Edit: Through some probably inadvisable juggling of one laptop with adb and one wlth Odin, with one pushing some beta 1 imagemand one pushing the stable 11, he managed to cobble together a combo of bootloader and image that let him push the final 11 NEE build. I don't know if it could or should be reproduced.

If I go the Odin route, does that wipe the app data?

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Right - because those are basically partition images, so you just skip the one that overwrites the home partition? Simple enough, then; thanks.

Separately, we still wonder how he managed to get stuck on a samsung beta localized for a region that officially never got that beta, while the beta opt-in claims we are not in the beta program (but can't sign up because we are already running a beta). Oh well, Just Samsung Things?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Khablam posted:

It's "just running beta software things". It's functionally nearly impossible to be accidentally running the beta, or any build that wasn't an OTA update from your carrier. I assume one of us doesn't have the complete picture here.

That's the thing, though - we were running the beta by accident, and it was a beta that doesn't even officially exist. Thus the confusion.

As for google now, it's actually fairly decent, apart from being strangely UK-focused. I guess that's just a side effect of trying to find English-language European content? Super hipster (heavy on the coffee, cameras and laptops), but that's probably my fault.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Yeah then I guess I would just be OK with a thicker phone. The thickness of a phone never bothered me as long as all parts of the screen were reachable (huge screen phones need to be thinner because it would be even harder to reach all of the screen).

I was kinda assuming there would be cell phone equivalent CPUs to like when there were Intel P4 processors but also Centrino or whatever where they were still "modern" but just much better on power consumption. Come to think of it that's the last time I can remember a CPU brand that was specifically marketed as being less power hungry than the others so I guess it's not really a thing any more. I'm pretty sure my Lenovo laptop just has a desktop CPU in it these days.

Laptop CPU are definitely still a thing, they are just more subtle about the branding - they will just add a letter to the model number instead of having a full separate brand. They have gotten very good at making them tunable, too, so while a laptop CPU will always clock lower, they have the option for large spikes in power and performance (which does wonders for perceived performance) ... or of staying another 10W below the official rating.

I have no idea what things are like on the phone side, though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Zarfol posted:

So, got the s21 ultra and set it up. Thing is absolutely massive.

Coming from the iPhone, the 120 hz screen and the fingerprint sensor are super nice. Also, android has really come a long way since when I last used it in like 2014.

No iMessage really sucks though, as SMS/MMS just doesn't feel up to par in this day and age. I get that Apple doesn't play nice (nor does Google- RIP windows phone), but hangouts would have been a perfect replacement.

The closest thing in the android ecosystem is WhatsApp/Signal/Telegram/FB Messenger- but it's obviously not preinstalled, and different regions and groups prefer different ones.

I personally like Signal - you can set as your default SMS client, and then it smoothly upgrades if you talk to another Signal user. The one complaint I've heard is that it's not great if you routinely send SMSes to groups, but I can't remember doing that the last decade.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I always assumed it was killed off because reading articles from RSS feeds allowed you to bypass the ads on the source site itself.

If they had kept it alive, I imagine google would have pushed for some sort of integration with Amp, with an excuse about rich content. (The real reason obviously being adsense).

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Probably not, yeah. I've had every S line big phone since the s10+ and despite the constant nerd rage online about Exynos they all run fine.

I'm also kind of glad there's a viable alternative to Qualcomm.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

codo27 posted:

Between here and the TV thread, drat. At least you guys aren't clamoring as to why the deeply flawed OLED is the best thing since sliced bread

I have enjoyed every OLED panel I have owned, all the way back to my Galaxy S2. The issues are real, but "deeply flawed" seems hyperbolic?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The oil painting effect is basically noise reduction trying to make something out of the noisy mess you get when the sensor only has a few photons per output pixel - the unsmoothed version would probably look very much like what you get when setting a DSLR to a stupid-high ISO.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

In other news, the EU is apparently working on a law requiring five years of software updates for phones sold in the union, presumably as part of the ongoing work to reduce e-waste. This will presumably have some spillover effects to the US as well?

I didn't find any good English language references, just a Norwegian news post referencing a Swedish one - but presumably there is a corresponding page somewhere in EUR-Lex or whereever the EU keeps ongoing proposals.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

codo27 posted:

You're right, this is the third time now I've somehow picked up my phone in my sleep, navigated to the notifications folder and deleted its contents and then blamed it on samsung having forgotten the whole thing.

I believe that they have for some reason disappeared off your phone (more than once), but at the same time I doubt that specific issue is a widespread Samsung issue. Which does admittedly make it even more of a mystery.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Samfucius posted:

Hey guys, I have a Samsung Gear watch and a Galaxy S10+. I like to track my runs, and I'm running into a dilemma. I wear headphones to listen to Spotify while I run, and I like to use the Samsung Health run coach feature to get reminders about my pace over the music. That works fine when I manage everything through the phone, but here's where I hit an issue. I also like to track my heart rate while I run, it's a good concrete way to see if I'm pushing things too hard. This is the purpose of the watch. If I select the run through my phone the watch doesn't bother to record heart rate, even though they are paired. If I select the run through my watch, the run coach uses the little tiny watch speaker, which I can't hear because I'm wearing headphones.

Is there a way to get the watch to record heart rate and sync the data while my phone handles the run? Alternately, the headphones are bluetooth, can they be paired to the watch instead while the watch streams Spotify from my phone and runs the coach app?

This is such basic funtionality, I feel. Am I crazy?

Since this ended up hidden at the end of last page: No, you're not crazy; that sounds like it should be possible. No suggestions, though; I don't have the right gear to have that problem.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sounds like a problem I've seen on a few laptops, where the sound hardware is sleeping to save power, and it takes a moment to wake up. Not sure if that's even a thing on android, though?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Endless Mike posted:

Finally, my Zebra Zebra TC24 WWAN Touch Computer was feeling chuggy!

Zebra makes barcode systems - printers with supplies, and all sort of scanners. Some of the scanners are little tablets that can run inventory apps directly - at a guess, this is one of those. :)

(I kind of run a barcoded inventory system for sample tubes at work. No android devices, but some Zebra gear. It's decent, and their documentation is above average.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Our rooms with freezers are not an especially rough environment, so we just use laptops with cheap usb scanners - but I imagine that's kind of an exception.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Buff Hardback posted:

At this point it's a "how much do you value those photos" situation (leaning strongly towards "unless you're willing to spend the equivalent of a used 3-4 year old midsize car, you're not getting those photos back"). I suspect the motherboard is toast at this point, so we check the Compatibility Definition Document which is what enforces Android policies by manufacturers to see your level of boned.

The 7.1 shipped with Android 8.1, which means the CDD for 8.1 applies to it.

As the Snapdragon 636 supported AES-NI, I'm confident that it meets those crypto benchmarks. What this ends up meaning is that the storage is encrypted specifically for the device, and transplanting it (assuming you could transplant it without damaging the NAND modules) will result in a bunch of encrypted data.

I'm firmly of the belief that the data lost to drive encryption is overall a larger problem than the data theft it prevents, and that it should be an opt-in for people and companies with specific needs.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

There is a step - not a huge step, mind - between "it is possible to use the data they collect to fingerprint you" and "they are actively doing this right now".

E: As for anonymizing data, the only safe thing seems to be to pool it into summary statistics as early as possible. "This user is x and does y" is bad. "27% of our users never open settings" is fine.

Getting crosstabs ("90% of users who watch knitting on youtube never open settings") is hard to do without the first kind of data, though - and I guess being able to get that kind of insight is part of the motivation for keeping detailed user data.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 30, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

On the contrary, they are so great at it that a new one springs up whenever a middle manager changes department. What they suck at is maintaining them.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 31, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I have a Samsung A71, and in an effort to make sure google knows everything about me, I have timeline enabled in google maps. The accuracy is atrocious, though - just a single misplaced point every 15 minutes, by the looks of it. This was better on earlier phones - is it a power saving thing in android 10+?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Khablam posted:

Timeline/location history is based on the information the phone currently has on your location, it doesn't poll the service to update it so it doesn't add battery drain when enabled. I think in practice it does poll it slightly more often, but this is essentially how it's meant to work.
If you're moving and using any app that uses real-time location/GPS (maps, any nav software, etc) the timeline will be pretty accurate. If it detects activity (walking , cycling etc) it will also update more often because it knows it's in motion, same with switching cell towers / being in range of new wifi networks etc. This all assumes location accuracy is turned on. If it's turned off you get something much more like what you described.

I guess this is a long way of saying, have you turned on location accuracy?

It's set to wifi, but not bluetooth, if we're thinking of the same setting - and the separate "Google Location Accuracy" is on.
I've also started walking home, which it does detect as a workout, but the accuracy underway doesn't seem much better.

Looking at it, Google and Maps can access location "all the time", which seems reasonable.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Somehow I don't regularly talk to any iPhone users. It's not a country thing either, there seems to be a fair number of Norwegian iPhone buyers.

As is, I have set signal as my default sms app, so that does at least merge those two streams. Most of the rest are WhatsApp.

Of course, there are outliers, like the one guy I have on hangouts text (who I assume will have to sms me now), the one group at work that uses Slack, the gaming discord we only use a weekend every year, and steam chat.

Maybe I should just try to move everyone to Steam chat. I wonder if the android app lets you voice chat?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Facebook messenger is not equally popular everywhere. I'm one of the weird tech nerds who has never had a Facebook account, and there are a few others who don't use Facebook among the people I talk to.

WhatsApp is owned by FB now, but it is still entirely independent of their account system, so you can just install the app, and it will automatically match your contacts list against their servers, and then you can immediately talk to anyone you know who uses it. It's quite popular in some random selections of countries, sort of like how iMessage is disproportionally popular in the US. I'm not entirely comfortable with the Facebook link, but they claim to share much less data between the two sides in Europe than in the US. I don't entirely believe them, but it'd be really expensive for them to get caught lying about it. Also, I don't really want to try moving my family off of it if I don't have to.

I use Signal as a nice alternative to the stock sms app - much like iMessage, it automatically upgrades if the person you talk to also uses it, while the sms/mms fallback is no better or worse than any other messenger. There is also a desktop client that I haven't tried, but it sounds like it could be nice. (I wonder if they're planning to support RCS?)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 8, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I've kept my previous phone (a Nokia 7 plus) charged and updated, just in case; it works fine and still gets security updates. I think it's time to retire it to a recycler, though; the screen has suddenly developed a suspicious bulge.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

FAUXTON posted:

yeah if you notice a bulge

I don't usually mind, but there is a time and place for everything.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I think there are ways to use a phone as a webcam for your PC - even an old phone is miles ahead of any laptop webcam.

(My theory is that someone made a warehouse full of webcam modules in 2004, and we're still working through that supply).

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It may be possible with a USB keyboard, though realistically you need to test on another very similar phone to see what the keypresses would be.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Smythe posted:

it should be the left and you shouldnt be able to change it unless its thru accessibility options

It should be right because that side is much easier to hit and I use it more than the app switcher.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I hit buttons with the thumb on the hand I hold the phone with. I can absolutely hit the left side of the screen, but the part I can get to without having to bend my hand to move the phone closer ends at a curve along cft6 on the keyboard. It's quite possible I'm just weird.

Also, yes, left handed people are another argument for making it adjustable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Smythe posted:

previous page on a book is to the left in this country, the greatest country in the world, america. duh. very easy. bing bong. what is this, some kinda torah or? jesus christ.... (litrally???) sorry if this is wrong i never went to hebrew school. thank you :tipshat:

We're all pagans over here.