Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

You can't just swipe the magstripe and put it back in your pocket any more.

I have yet to see an EMV terminal that doesn't have a magstripe reader as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Speaking of Motorola and OS upgrade footdragging, should I be concerned that my (unlocked) Nexus 6 hasn't gotten the Marshmallow update yet, or is it just taking this long? (I have gotten previous OTA updates, including a security patch of some description like two weeks ago.)

I suppose I could find the image and do it myself, but :effort:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

LastInLine posted:

We had this conversation a while back. Carriers can hold up OTAs for updates and it does so based on what SIM is in the device. If I remember correctly, AT&T hasn't approved the Marshmallow OTA which is why there's a November security update for Lollipop.

Ah okay, so even if my phone isn't branded T Mobile, if I have their SIM, that'd hold it up? Makes sense.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Launchers don't affect the notification tray?

They may not, but you can set a gesture in Nova that expands notifications if you swipe down on the desktop (or whatever you call it)

(e) Though I just tried it and it appears to be the same as just swiping down from the tray, so no good for you.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 17, 2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I just got a notification for Marshmallow, should I download or will it cause my phone to become possessed and kill my girlfriend?

I finally got the update on my Nexus 6 a few days ago. I don't think my phone's possessed now, and it hasn't been much more murderous than usual, but it's possible that eldritch forces are responsible for the slightly better battery life.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I went to a Nexus 6 from using a 2013 N7 tablet as my primary Android device (and a really tiny dumbphone as my phone) so it wasn't really a jarring transition for me.

I also recommend having giant monster hands like I've got. Honestly I don't think I could go back to a much smaller phone at this point.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've taken the precaution of encasing my N6 in an indestructible block of plastic and rubber.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

Counterpoint: unlimited music streaming owns

Disclaimer: I don't use T-Mobile

I do, and it does.

Though yeah, if I ever left the city I lived in, I imagine coverage would be a massive pain in the rear end.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nova's options even say that the transparent notification bar will only work if the phone lets it, so it's definitely a thing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Given that Google itself is a thinly-disguised advertising platform, I can certainly see Samsung gambling that this wouldn't send their Android customers out into the night with torches and pitchforks.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Have they announced which devices are / are not getting N at all? I noticed no preview for the 2013 Nexus 7 (which doesn't really shock me, and I'm not exactly going to melt down if it's done getting updated, I'm just curious).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Get a cat, start feeding it first thing in the morning.

You will never sleep through your alarm again.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mr Executive posted:

Is there any real way to block popups/ads in android chrome like you can on the desktop? Preferably without rooting.

As I understand it, Firefox mobile lets you use uBlock. That's probably your only non root option.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

hotsauce posted:

Seeing as how music freedom and binge on is included on the $30 nerd plan, that's an excellent option if you want a steaming media device. Hell I'm half tempted to drop my ATT rollover data way down and use the nerd plan on a separate device for 24x7 music and video streaming. Inconvienent sure but unlimited gigs of round the clock streaming for $30 is tempting. Especially since I'd save more than $30 by reducing my ATT data.

Is Binge On actually included in the nerd plan? My understanding is that you got the video downgrade (and can opt out of it) but not the 'free' video streaming unless you spring for one of their pricier plans (which might still be worth it, depending just how much you'd save at AT&T). Music freedom is definitely part of the nerd plan though and is the main reason I have it.

Though yeah, as ever with T Mobile, be damned sure you've got decent coverage where you are before you commit to anything.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Google Now is a neat idea and I'm glad other folks find it useful but mostly it appears to be good for giving me hilariously inaccurate estimates for how long it will take me to drive home from work (I exclusively use public transit but Google refuses to believe this). So I pretty much ignore it and it pretty much stays out of my way and everyone's happy.

Weather Timeline's persistent notification is pretty nice.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, the entire point of making it available now is for (free) testing, isn't it?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'll admit it was a bit of a transition going from a crappy $20 flip phone that I had to charge like once every two weeks to a Nexus 6 which needs to be charged daily, but it's not really a big deal. Honestly, as long as people haven't formed their ideas about battery technology in the Victorian era, I don't really care when and how they charge their phones.

(Actually, it doesn't affect me in any way even then, but when has that ever mattered?)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

hooah posted:

Ages ago I put a website bookmark in a folder of SwipePad (you can add whatever you can to your home screen). However, I can't seem to figure out how I used to do that. I feel like it used to be in with the shortcuts. Does anyone have any idea how to do this nowadays?

Chrome, at least, has a "Send to Home Screen" option available in the menu when you have a web page open that creates a shortcut widget. I don't know how it would interact with SwipePad though (since I don't really know what SwipePad is.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

At the very least, it's hopefully a good harbinger for when HTC starts making the next Nexus phones.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My N7 2013 stopped auto-rotating after a reboot this morning. The problem persists through reboots no matter what the rotation setting is.

I'm guessing the accelerometer just died, but is there a possible fixable software cause for this?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Smythe posted:

absolutely not lol

At least not until later this year when HTC starts writing NEXUS across the back in purple crayon.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've never actually bothered setting up voice recognition on my phone. I'll use the voice search occasionally (and it usually knows what I'm talking about) but it's not really something I'd miss.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Two, buying devices when they first come out is for suckers!

Yeah. Never Early Adopt is kind of an article of faith for me in the same way that Only Buy Nexus is an article of faith for some in this thread. The few times I've gone against it, I've regretted it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

vyst posted:

what the hell else dessert can you do with n? Napoleon?

I just wonder what they're gonna do when they get to Android Q.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I would strongly consider it if mobile Firefox didn't support uBlock. I don't mind the odd in-app ad, just the way things are (and paying to ditch the ads isn't a big deal) , but running a browser without some kind of adblock is just horrible.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Krenzo posted:

Yeah, you're right. I searched for the business on Google Maps, and I guess a previous tenant had a business here in my apartment by that name. Hence, Google Maps thought I was taking photos at that business location.

Now that sounds more like the Google that reminds me of bills two weeks after I've paid them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I get that WiFi and GPS are different, but is there a particular reason to have Bluetooth enabled if you don't have any devices?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My Nexus 7 2013 tablet still gets them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Luchadork posted:

Honestly the only feature I really want in the Google Launcher anyhow is the ability to make folders within the app drawer. Just give us that, Google.

This is pretty much the biggest thing I love about Nova Launcher.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Didn't bother to check and see if this is posted elsewhere in the thread but tldr something about the July update for the N6 causes it to lose data connectivity any time GPS activates. It's been plaguing me for days.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/4vzncc/nexus_6_loses_all_data_connectivity_on_tmobile/
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/WOMBzoCaSMM

It's not actually a TMobile problem, it's a Nexus 6 problem and happening across a bunch of carriers that support the Nexus 6 (according to a Google Products forum post)

Edit: Reddit users on N previews are not reporting the issue. So basically I have to unlock my phone and run beta software to have a functioning device.

Goddamn so THAT'S why...

I was actually about to ask if anyone had any ideas about this. I guess we'll see if the August update fixes it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

DangerZoneDelux posted:

What carrier are you on?

I'm on Verizon and need to see if it happens but I do now have this camera issue after the update yesterday.
https://youtu.be/z-wLLP6Uu1g

Restarts didn't fix the issue. Video actually skips while recording as well not just when I replay the video

T-Mobile. It doesn't seem to be exclusive to them (but doesn't appear to be affecting every carrier either, from the 30 seconds of research I've done). Also seems to be exclusive to the Nexus 6 (not the 6p). A reboot seems to clear it up for me, but I don't have anything using GPS all that often (I think just my weather app) so it's not killing my data every 30 seconds or anything, just once or twice a day.

I saw some references in the Google Product forums thread that disabling Google Connectivity Services seems to clear things up. No idea if there's any real connection there, though. Might be worth a try, unless it hilariously breaks something else.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well, I've just installed the N preview on my Nexus 6, and so far everything seems to be working. Splitscreen is cool though I'm not really seeing that I'll ever have a need for...wait, no, I've just thought of a reason I'd use it, hahaha. (Calculator and bank app up at the same time...and the bank app doesn't support split screen. Of course it doesn't.)

Seemed to lag a bit when I first booted up but it's running pretty smooth at the moment. I'm sure it will melt my phone and start playing an unstoppable "YOU INSTALLED BETA SOFTWARE? YOU FOOL!" message at me within the day but so far so good.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah, I did the same thing last night. Not super thrilled about it but its nice having data working while GPS is zeroed in. :/

Well, for all that there's an inherent risk in using beta software for everyday stuff, I've heard generally good things from people who've installed it (and honestly with N a month or so from actual release, it'd be pretty bad if the current developer preview weren't reasonably stable).

So I am at least cautiously optimistic. And as you say, it's better than losing my data connection because my weather app decided to update or I wanted to look at a map.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm not sure specifically what was causing it in my case, though I'd have to guess it was Weather Timeline because I don't think I had anything else active that was looking at my location.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

chippy posted:

So do we actually have any idea when N's coming out? Seemed like everyone was just expecting it with the August security patch, but it's not. I'm getting ever closer to just installing the developer preview out of impatience.

I've been running the developer preview for about a week now, and it's fine. No hiccups or problems of any sort.

Though that brings up a related question. I know if I back out of the beta program and roll back to the last official Android release, it factory resets my phone. Does anyone know what's going to happen with beta participants when N is properly released, though?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just assume the battery screen is a filthy lie.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Are HTC as horrible about consistent updates as pretty much everyone who isn't literally Google?

My next phone will probably be a Nexus 6P unless this year's Nexus models really blow me away, but I always like to have options.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Getting a previous generation phone is never a great idea, even if it's the 6P.

My wallet disagrees.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

codo27 posted:

Seriously though, some more reasons why Samsung sucks? Whats on the horizon that can topple the S7 besides the S8? Same story as always for me, 5.2" is the absolute max size I'd consider, if no SD card slot I want 64gb onboard at least, and most important of all, gotta have a great camera. How much difference does OIS make really?

I think the big thing is that Touchwiz has a bad reputation (though it's reportedly much nicer than it used to be). I've never used a Samsung phone, but I think that's the common argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I genuinely don't care what anyone uses (I use Steam's IM system so am in no position to throw stones) , but I did find "quit using antiquated technology like MMS, use email, which is several decades older, instead" to be pretty funny.