Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Variable_H posted:

I've noticed on my G3 that if I have my hand anywhere near the proximity sensor when I turn on the display, it shuts the screen back off. Is this typical?

Yes, because this is exactly what proximity sensors are designed to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Got to play with a Samsung Note Edge today

As dumb as it looks, unfortunately

grack
Jan 10, 2012

False Toaster posted:

I've noticed that in direct sunlight (never in fluorescent) that my S6 screen has dark lined spotchy stains on the screen? I don't know if this is related to me trying to apply a skinomi screen protector, probably is. Not sure if the spray solution, which I applied very little screwed with the screen somehow. But it's relatively annoying and I don't know how to get rid of it.

This is normal, you're actually seeing parts of the LCD.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It happens :shrug:

grack fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 18, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

So is it pretty much been confirmed that LG is making the new Nexus 5?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Red Warrior posted:

Yes there have been AOSP commits for a new LG device.

Sweet. Just like everyone else (apparently) the battery life on my N5 is slowly going in to the toilet and my contract is up in November.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Err, the OnePlus Two is using a Snapdragon 810? Did they get the overheating issues fixed?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Well it's good of OnePlus to let everyone know that the hardware is poo poo upfront instead of waiting until after it shipped.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ah yes, catte pictures. The true measure of a camera.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

zolthorg posted:

But what has actually been omitted from the phone? NFC and NFCwallet apps do nothing for me. I have my own vehicle, rent, rarely use air/public travel options and carry my actual payment cards in my actual wallet.

A functional chipset.

The Snapdragon 810 has serious overheating issues that require excessive throttling to keep under control and Qualcomm has not yet figured out how to fix it.

Also the company is run by a bunch of loving morons.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

r0ck0 posted:

Is that Qi wireless charging and how big of a grain of salt should I take with that leak?

The MT1388 actually supports both Qi and PMA (ex. Duracell Powermat) charging. So that's actually pretty cool.

I'm a little wary of an O-LED screen instead of IPS but otherwise yeah, those specs rock. Big-arse battery with a moderately powered chipset and reasonable sized display should be awesome for battery life and the camera sensor is supposedly very good.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Hahaha, no headphone jack? Somehow I overlooked that. I guess they just expect you to use bluetooth all the time?

The phone comes with an adapter to use the USB port as the headphone out. Fiddly as gently caress.

The 7A at the same price from that seller is probably a better deal but software support is probably going to be crap.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I thought people liked the S6 :confused:

Samsung just instituted a major price drop on the S6. That doesn't happen with products that people want to buy, at least this early in to the sales cycle.

grack fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 5, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

In our continuing series on how to kill all possible interest in your product, USA Today posted an interview with Carl Pei (co-founder of Oneplus).

Best parts:

He admits that NFC was cut because not a lot of people use it these days, but it will be important in 12-18 months. His reasoning? "By that time people will have moved on to the next device."

He also mentioned that Oneplus is coming out with a second model this year, one that may or may not have higher specs than the Oneplus Two. His first response when he saw the new prototype was "holy s--- that's going to be my daily driver"

So, just to recap - he thinks NFC is going to really important very soon but he thinks everyone will have bought a new phone in a year and a half, and that a second phone is launching this year with better specs.

Join us next week for another installment of "How to Kill a Product Launch in the Shortest Amount of Time Possible" or "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Howler Monkeys that Live in My Brain and Scream at Me All the TIme"
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/08/02/oneplus-carl-pei-interview/30947799/

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Tsyni posted:

I've read the last few pages but it hasn't really come up much. What's the word on the OnePlus 2?

"Piece of poo poo from a company that doesn't know their collective asses from a hole in the ground". The phone is going to use a SoC that has serious overheating issues that don't look like they're going to be solved any time soon and the company is run by a bunch of loving idiots. Look at one of the new Motorola devices instead.

gently caress hardware keyboard chat, "Don't buy a OnePlus device" should be in the thread title.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Krime posted:

Just for shits and giggles I tried every option... they all did the gigantic wall of red text thing.

RIP Note 2

October 2012 - August 2015

You can try using Odin to reflash the stock ROM.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Krime posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, but this failed as well.

Then I just don't think there's a spinny chair strong enough for your Note. Only thing left to do is sell it for parts on eBay.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

LionYeti posted:

So I need a phone rather soon before the iphone 6s gets announced and causes my trade value to plummet. My priorities are price under 300 unlocked, Battery Life, Camera, day to day performance in that order. I've been looking at the Idol 3, the new moto g seems nice but that camera seems abysmal and that's a possible dealbreaker. Also whats goon experience with swappa?

The Idol 3 is probably a decent choice if picture quality is important, and the UI doesn't have too much crap bolted on to it. It also has a decent SOC as well. You could also look at the Lenovo K3 Note. It also has good SOC and a decent camera as well as a good screen, though the battery life isn't great (though it should still last you more than a day on moderate-heavy use).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If you get the Idol 3, just make sure to get the 5.5" screen version as apparently the 4.7 is somewhat underpowered.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

pun pundit posted:

I doubt the phone has been made that does optical zoom. Digital zoom is always terrible.

How so very wrong you are: http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/smartphones/galaxy-s/SM-C1010ZWABTU and http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n93i-1823.php

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Wow, talk about a major price drop.

Looks like new unlocked LG G Flex2 (AT&T) is going for $249 on eBay.

If you want to see the future of phones with the Snapdragon 810 SOC (Hi HTC! Hi OnePlus!) there it is.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

I think power, screen and features are nice, but the battery life was just hot garbage from what I remember of the reviews. I too would be interested in an "updated" review

From what I've read LG had to seriously throttle the SOC in patches to keep it from overheating and it helped battery life. For the price you're getting flagship specs with a midrange processor at this point.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

See that makes it MORE appealing to me. The most processor intensive thing I do is the awful app or that fallout shelter game. I guess pictures?

I don't disagree. By all accounts the Flex 2 is otherwise a decent phone - good screen, good camera and even with the throttled SOC it performs pretty well. The camera is also the same one from the G3, so it's pretty good as well (and has the funky laser focus). Plus with the price plummeting it may be a good buy, as long as you're fine with LG's UI or willing to install your own launcher.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

TheBuilder posted:

Google is really digging at the bottom of the barrel by partnering with Huawei on a Nexus.

A rather stupid comment. Huawei makes some excellent hardware.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ilkhan posted:

Grr.
Latest supposed specs on the 2015 N5 say 2700mah battery. Was hoping for a bigger number. :/
Won't stop me from buying one based on just that spec, though. Still 10% bigger than the original.

It should have a dramatically more efficient chipset, though, and screen tech is better as well (at least in terms of power draw, the Nexus 5's screen is still one of the best I've used).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I'd suggest not dropping your phone.

Grip tape would help with this issue.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Fruit Chewy posted:

I've had it in a spigen slim armor case both times which is obviously doing a lot of good. Both have been <2ft falls.

Stop dropping your phone. Problem solved.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Y'all need bigger cargo jorts if keeping a phone in your pocket is causing issues.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Real world Moto X pure photos are starting to filter out.

https://plus.google.com/photos/+KellySchutt/albums/6193755609496359825

Bullshit photos, no cattes anywhere.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

IuniusBrutus posted:

Bought a new Nexus 6 for $350. Is this a terrible idea seeing as it is a year old, or should it still have some life left in it?

Nope. By purchasing a year old phone you've cursed your family nigh on to sevens generations. Mark your place in the world now for your descendants will do naught but spit on your grave.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

TraderStav posted:

Are these Qi coils you add to any phone worth anything?

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Wireless-Charging-Receiver-micro-USB/dp/B00H7FJX7M

I want to believe this is awesome, but I have a feeling it's poo poo.

They work but tend to be either slow (smaller coils) or get really hot (larger coils)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

LG manufactured the Nexus 5, but it doesn't have dual window or double tap to wake or other LG stuff...

The Nexus 5 can do double tap to wake but it's not supported in stock ROMs.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

"Horsepower" isn't the issue. Failing NAND is probably the issue.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Perk? Swagbucks? Get a whole bunch of GNex's and throw at people in the street like the crazy cat lady from the Simpsons?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

bull3964 posted:

No, HTC is who called OnePlus on their bullshit and said that theirs was 2.1 as well.

Here's what oneplus said

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oneplus-2-cpu-qualcomm-snapdragon-810-v2-1.316786/

So, the implication here is they have a special snowflake v2.1 that they worked with Qualcomm with when pretty much every shipping 810 device was v2.1 from the start.

Actually what OnePlus did was underclock the poo poo out of the chip and add more heat dispersion stuff to the phone. So technically they're not lying and for them that's pretty good.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

LionYeti posted:

Holy gently caress OnePlus has the worst store page in the universe. I happened to get an invite to buy one and I wanted to add it in the store page to see how long I'd hypothetically be out a phone but it doesn't seem to want to let me buy it. I wanted to give you my money one plus but you just wouldn't let me.

This is the best thing the company has ever done.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If I may, I would like to sum up your post:

"I dropped my phone a ton of times and now it's not working and I don't know why."

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Another phone related tragedy that could've been avoided with the judicious use of grip tape. WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN

grack
Jan 10, 2012

the nicker posted:

Keep reading. The lack of OIS is due the sensors being better at low-light natively, so it's not really needed.

Even with a good low light sensor OIS is still plenty useful.

OIS isn't a deal breaker for me but no Qi charging is. Goddamn, dump the fingerprint sensor and give me wireless charging! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao how on earth did they think this was a good idea

Oppo is Chinese, they may not know how bad that is.