Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Pixel XL is impressive for sure, but man would it be hard to leave my Nexus 6P 128Giger. It's just been a downright fantastic phone that you can get for a reasonable price as well if you want a little better than the 5X, but less than a Pixel(XL) and are on Verizon, Fi, or Sprint and don't want to leave. (though those Mi phones look downright wicked, however GSM only phones just make me sad I am on Sprint, until I see the price I would have to pay to be on any other carrier with my data usage (and no throttling so far)).

Onto a different note, does anyone else sync their phones contacts and calendar with Hotmail/Outlook through Exchange and having issues with it not Syncing at all in the past week or longer? I wiped my phone recently going from 6.0.1 Pure Nexus to the newest 7.0 PN build, did a nice clean install, and notice that my Contacts nor Calendar sync onto the device even though it is correctly setup to use Exchange (not the IMAP default if you let it just setup based on e-mail) and it says that everything is Synced, there is nothing on the phone.

With my other test device using Exchange Activesync for HTC Sense, everything Syncs perfect, as does using other apps like Microsofts own Outlook app (Though that POS is great for e-mail, it only has 1 way sync for Contacts for whatever the hell reason. Calendar however works fine, but doesn't sync to the phones native one) or I found a e-mail client called BlueMail that works, but is imperfect and sucks using a full email client, just to sync my drat contacts like a phone in 2016 should be able to natively do now. (why can a device that ran Windows Mobile or Palm in 2004 still have better sync than an Android device built today? Ugh.)

I don't know if it was due to the O365 change Microsoft is doing on their end or something google jacked up with gmail/Google Exchange Services, but either way, talk about frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

I loved my 6p when I got it but right now the 2ish hours of SoT, the slow HDR processing time, and the throttling (especially leaving the camera on) have me really mad at it. The random days of ridiculous unexplained battery drain I'll just chalk up to Android

True this, hence my recent adventures with ElementalX and forcing it into 4 A53's at 1.4Ghz 2 A57's to 1.2Ghz (With Hexacore mode enabled) and the GPU locked to 450mhz Max. Gotten around 5hrs SOT and the standby time is pretty good with PN 7.0.

Outside of my random Contact/Calendar BS going on, the rest of the device is pretty snappy and power efficient for once without any major slowdown from those changes. Its like a 1440P 5X with Stereo.

The only issue I cannot explain, is the Speakerphone. Video/Calls work great, but turn on the speaker phone, and it is the same as if I hit Mic Mute. You can't hear a thing on the other end but I can hear them fine.

No idea what's going on there, but if it was a bad mic, you would think it would present itself in another form (Again, normal calls, Video recording, etc.)

I dread having to send the thing to Google (I have Nexus Protect as well, but it hasn't been a year even) and getting a refurb of questionable quality back...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Oh god it's 2016 and people have gone back to flashing third party ROMs to get around phone issues :(

Really though, thanks for the suggestion. I might have to do that if I'm going to be waiting until mid December for my Pixel

Lol, when you have the ability, it isn't too difficult to improve on OEM phone OS'es since unlike say iOS or Windows Phone, each one for Android is custom BS that seems immensely lacking once you have use a good custom Rom (Pure Nexus really is slim on actual changes, but some of the few settings he does add is great little QoL stuff. You don't really need a custom kernel to enjoy the device, but I do personally like to tinker within it a tad. Nexus/Pixel is pretty dang close to optimal Google empty and polished vs something from Samsung/LG (HTC has gotten pretty slim on their theming in recent years however. A HTC10 is a great phone as well with a fantastic camera and headphone AMP)

Though like mentioned above, you should still get a good 4hrs SoT unless you are playing games all the time and just ripping through battery. Check into the battery setting and possibly, maybe download the BetterBatteryStats that might give you a better look at what might be eating your battery so much. Even stock with Facebook and (in my case) 300ish apps, you should only loose about 3-4% an hr standby and still get 4hrs SoT. I have gotten it up to 5~ but the screen is a bit of a battery pig I can't get past without a really dark theme.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Sounds good but are your speakerphone and contact/calendar oddities occurring only on the third party ROM or did it happen on stock too?

The contact/calendar oddities are a mix I believe between Microsoft O365 changes, Google sucking at basic Microsoft support, and devices just throwing random basic function issues at me because they know it pisses me off. Its happening on both my 6P and a HTC Test device(s) I have right now so its not a device/rom issue.

The Speakerphone I don't remember when it stopped working, And I have never had this phone stock more than 5 minutes while I was getting it out of the box. It had been Bootloader Unlocked, Flashed Pure Nexus, and ran that ever since last December. Been tempted to try Stock just to test out the 7.1 Beta, but the time it takes me to Restore stuff keeps me from wanting to take the plunge that I know I will return from...

And The Speakerphone did work fine as far as I can remember up until like a month or two ago. Nobody else is complaining about it from this Rom or technically, in the same issue as me (Some had call quality issues, but not the same complete mute issue as me) which seems to span Stock and other Roms, and I never had any issue like that of the sort. So I haven't a clue and don't need it that much that I will flash stock just yet to see if that fixes it or not.

I may once 7.1 Drops just to get the phone a full going over, but that probably won't be until later this month or the next.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Not horrified, just find it funny that when faced with the basic step one of android trouble shooting, the factory reset, the idea of flashing a custom rom is in anyway preferable

Also loving lol at the dude who despite having never run stock, is having battery and speaker phone issues, and not for one second has thought maybe his lovely custom rom, 'optimisations' to kernel stuff he has no real idea about, and 300 apps might have something to do with it

XDA up in this bitch

I never said I was having battery issues. I was actually the direct opposite with an Hr more than stock provides and 2H over the guy with issues. (With Facebook and FBMessenger even) I do have a speakerphone issue, but being as I am the only one with the issue on the entire XDA threads for PN, I plan to chalk it up to something goofy and plan to flash stock, eventually to test the only left possibility before I blame hardware).

Also said Custom Rom has been running since that first day Flash up until a week ago when I went from 6.0.1 to the 7.0 based rom. Never dirty flash between major version jumps, and on Stock, always do a backup and Hard Reset because there are usually always issues going between the two with existing installed apps and whatever settings break between versions.

So yea.

WhyteRyce posted:

Maybe because that's a low success first step of trouble shooting in this scenario going by the other 6P users who've had the same issues and me and already done this yet you continue to say do it. Constantly factory reseting your phone every time Android decides to take a poo poo when it easily could just be some random crap that got pushed out in an app update is only marginally less stupid than flashing custom ROMs. And in this case a custom ROM is preferable only because it would give some control over the 810 speeds.

And again, I think both are bad solutions. I'd rather just try the beta 7.1.1 or downgrade back to MM

Consoles do one very specific thing and I don't really mind when they decide to have the random hiccup or when some random feature doesn't work. I don't care if online play stops working or if a specific release breaks some USB device. A phone is something I carry with me all the time and use for a variety purposes and I drat well care if something like the calendar stops working

You don't need a custom rom to get CPU control, just Root for something like SetCPU, but if you want you can even do a Kernel like ElementalX on stock, however since you have to Unlock the Bootloader to be able to flash any custom stuff, and it requires a wipe to do it, all the more reason to give something else a shot If you would like a change. Like I said, Pure Nexus is as close to stock as it gets with just a few minor QoL tweaks like status bar stuff, notification light options, and a few other things. Overall made by a longtime Chef (that isn't 13) and you can even build it yourself if you fancy the time and space to do that.

^^^ the only time I have had "overheat" issues with the 6P is if it is running something like chffr (Comma.ai's app) while charging in the car (and I don't have the A/C pointed at the thing) or on a hot summer day filming in 4K in the sun. Most of the time the 6P keeps itself cool enough to run fine with that 810.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 4, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

People who want their phone to work reliably, don't use CyanogenMod anymore. Not even phones that came out with it. (OnePlus lol)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I need to roll back a page.

Are people actually overclocking their phones?

If by Overclock you mean Underclock. Yes.

Not really much need on the 820 or other CPU's, but the 810 doesn't need to run at 1.5/2.0Ghz on its LITTLE.big cores or use all of them so why not take some control and pull out another hr of SoT battery life with no noticeable performance loss?

Also on the Verizon Pixel (XL) talk, a guy at work just got one to replace his Timebomb Note 7, and unlike what he believes others have said, he put in the Sim from his Note 7 into the Pixel and it just worked without installing any of the Verizon bloat or making any changes. He said when another friend got his from Verizon and put in the Sim for it specifically, it installs the Verizon bloat (and perhaps then also locks the Bootloader as well?)

One thing I want on my 6P is that new live wallpaper stuff on the Pixel. That looks slick as hell. I already love the Pixel launcher after using Sense Home for the last 10 years. (Anyone remember HTC Home on the HTC Titan/Mogul? or TouchFlo on TP1 and 2)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Bootloader lock has nothing to do with the SIM. It's IMEI based.

The three apps that get installed likely only install IF you have the SIM inserted during setup. If you setup the phone first and then put the SIM in, nothing happens. That's stock Android functionally.

They are just automated play store installs and can be uninstalled.

Ah makes sense.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

For those looking for a good car charger, I can highly recommend This beast that supports both QC 3.0 though the USB-A port, and 3A Rapid Charging through the USB-C Port. Have used both through various devices and it hits roughly the same numbers as the charger that came with my Nexus 6P, and a HTC 10 (USB-C/QC3.0 speeds).

And if you need some good quality USB-C to USB-C cables, iOrange hasn't let me down with either their USB-C to C cable, or their USB-A to USB-C cables as they support all charging speeds as well as haven't seen any reports of them miswiring the things yet. They are braided so they are a little stiffer than rubber, but aren't a sticky outside coating so they don't catch on random stuff just sliding around an whatnot.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The one thing about OnePlus is their Dash charging. How is that in use? Moving the charging heat from the phone to the charger itself just seems like the best option to prolong battery life overall in all these non replaceable battery phones we are forced to put up with these days.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

Dash works fine, it's very quick and the phone stays nice and cool. I didn't buy any additional Dash chargers so I just use my QC2.0 chargers (with Aukey A-C cables) when I'm not at the Dash one.

Good to hear. After I read about Dash it immediately sounded like the best Quick Charge solution that doesn't just torch your battery to all hell. My only guess is the reason it wasn't what caught on first instead of the quick charge 1-3.0 stuff and Rapid Charging USB-C stuff, is because OEM's don't want your battery to last for more than 2 years if they can help it. Non replaceable batteries for most people mean get a new phone when it eventually dies (Especially in these glued together works of art. :argh:

The one thing the V20 really has going for it, I dislike LG's OEM skin style and such, but man that is a good looking phone with a replaceable battery and everything without the janky G5 design.

I still am a big fan of my old G3. That phone felt great in the hands with the rear buttons and small bezel. If only they could have remade it in metal, with Pixel hardware and call it a Pixel/Nexus. :(

On the Camera/signal front for Pixel/Nexus, since the 5X/6P Camera tech for Google devices got a lot better, and signal on my 6P is way above any other device I have had my hands on so far. Even the HTC 10 wasn't quite as good as my 6P at keeping LTE and WiFi signals strong and fast.
The Pixel looks like a good improvement on all that, but I like others wish HTC has a little more design influence and at least gave it a sort of Stereo Speaker Boomsound setup like their own phones. Though it looks like their production system is still running top notch and learned a bit from the HTC Vive scenario to not set a ship date too early. Set it later, and allow people to be pleasantly surprised when you beat it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Luchadork posted:

Sorry that this isn't Pixel talk, but I got my refurb 5x from Google to replace the bootlooped one, and...it's fine I guess, but I'm a bit disappointed. Mine is pristine, this one has a gouge on the back and obvious scratches around the edges and charging port where they must have pried it open to inspect/fix it. None of it is bad enough to send it back over and the normal non-Goon user probably wouldn't care one bit, it just offends my OCD-ness. I'll probably start using a case again on it just to cover it all up. Crossing my fingers that they're actually doing something to fix the bootloop cause, though.

Get back in touch with Google right away and get them to send you another. This happened on my 6P order where they sent me one that was already nicked up a lot on the edges and I had them send me another. The 2nd was pristine so new/refurb doesn't matter, It happens and you should get it replaced.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

I used to be easy. Devices used to support drag and drop file operations. They used to support USB Mass Storage. Now everything's hidden behind the broken Media Transfer Protocol and Someone Else's ComputerThe Cloud.

I will agree that the removal of USB Mass Storage is a royal pain in the rear end to move stuff around. I usually boot into my bootloader to transfer stuff around since it seems to be much less finicky about showing me everything that is actually on the device, however you can also use something like ES File Explorer and transfer stuff over your network to a network share, then back onto the new device however you choose.

Just make sure the phone is plugged in to power and WiFi doesn't turn off when it sleeps. (and any power optimizations are turned off so Doze doesn't affect ES).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

hotsauce posted:

810. Nevar furget :rip:

True this, I wonder if downclocking the CPU helps. I plan to get a Daydream possibly today from BB so I can test and find out as well.

I have also tempted to toy around with the thermal paste replacement a few XDA adventurers did do to their 6P as the stock green bubblegum stuff is terrible. Guys have posted drops of 10+C when switching to a nice thermal pad/paste which isn't surprising.

Hell I dropped like 7C on my G3 by putting a Thermal Pad in between the CPU and the Magnesium frame of the LG G3 as there was just an open space there before with no heat transfer. Helped a lot when shooting video and such, but also a curse as heat would go the other way when it was in the sun on a hot summer day.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I dunno. It seems like long transfers manage to get the program removed from memory no matter what I do.

adb push/pull has done the trick for now, however.

That is messed up... What kinda memory management would be killing your app while it is actively active (outside of a memory leak/bad app). :psyduck:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So report of using a Nexus 6P with Daydream, it is correct that it throttles way too soon to be truly enjoyable, but a few experiences can be had rather ok like the Harry Potter one as well as PolyRunner VR.

It has the ability, but the heat and battery drain just nosedive rather quick.

If you have a Pixel or PixelXL though, I would highly recommend it as the view and remote is really good for a mobile device and hopefully a lot of GearVR apps make the jump as there isn't a good reason for them not too if the Devs like Money. The headset is comfortable, feels like yoga pants, and the lenses are really good.

Also yea on the HTC Bolt...... Not sure exactly what their goal with this thing is. Maybe a budget phone for the common folk? If it comes out at anything above $299 (since you can get an M9 for $300 right now) it will be DoA and just flop as this isn't the end of 2015, but the end of 2016 with 820/821's making their showing and showing how old the 810 really is. It was an OK processor, but drat if nobody really could get the drat thing cool long enough to be useful. I still wonder what an Active Cooled 810 would have performed like vs the one in all these hot phones.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

nimper posted:

No, but you can change the volume of the thing that's playing from your phone.

This, and I am still pleasantly surprised how even with my chromecast (and Shield TV) plugged into a 3 way HDMI splitter, connected to a 2013 Panasonic TV, when I hit cast on something to one of those two, it will Turn on the TV, Change the input to the correct input, and start playing.

That is fancy. I would like more of that sort of control over my place.

If I ever get my career to stop kicking me in the nuts, I would love to build a home from the ground up to be a slick smarthome. Would be cool too if someone making a house near me would let me design the smart system for them. Everyone I talk to seems to love the idea, but getting people to bite on actually making it happen, even when it cost a fraction of some of those older universal remote style systems that are clunky as hell and never work right a few years down the line when you replace a single component.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

peepsalot posted:

My piece of poo poo 5x is constantly putting itself into do not disturb mode for no fucki g reaskn. How do I make it stop

Stop hitting the volume down button? Weird issue if that isn't the case.

bull3964 posted:

It's $600, so, yeah.

I an questioning the sanity in the chat for my HTC Tester group. I haven't got a clue as to how anyone at HTC could justify both the Price and the sheer existence of this phone. The HTC 10 was great, the new Desires look fantastic, the Bolt, is a neutered M9 thats waterproof and lacks a headphone port with a 1440P screen and a better camera, in 2016. I can see the reviews butchering the thing similar to the price of the A9 when it dropped, but this phone has even less really going for it today.

What they should have done is bring back the EVO line, with a Kickstand, Boomsound, Metal, and HTC 10 level of internal bits. (or Pixel if they could have gotten the 821 shoved into the thing). That would have been worth $600.

For now, get the HTC10 for $500 and pass over this.... Whatever this phone is.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I did pick up the only one that made it to the Best Buy near my work and a few other BB's only got 1 or 2 or said they were, but didn't yet. So yea, might be a supply thing similar to the Rift/Vive when they launched. :/

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Turned in my Note 7 to my local Verizon store. Picked up a Pesidio case for my Pixel and a Zagg glass protector.

I do not recommend the glass protector at all. It doesn't even fully cover the screen surface. What's even the point of this thing? There's so much exposed front. Sigh.

Oh, got to use a Daydream View at the store, too. Didn't have much time to adjust it for myself, but it seemed incredibly convincing. Other than the light bleed; around the nose area, you get ambient light leaking through. I feel like a cloth or foam or something there would help a lot. Either way, I'm still excited.

Going with anything with Zagg in the name was your first mistake. I have had ok experience with companies like iCarez and a few others on Amazon for like $9 for 1 or 2. Stay away from accessories sold inside a Phone Carrier Store unless you hate money and actual quality products vs pure markup profit.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I'm not in the beta and this happens to my 6P too so that's not it. Happened before and after nougat

This does seem like a oddly widespread 6P issue that cropped up around the end of MM and the start of Nougat's rollout. Mine started doing it at the 15% mark or so, then moves up and down randomly where it will just straight power off at anything from 5% to 27% or so. It seems removing the batterystats file seems to help a smidge, but only for like 3-4 charges or so.

I still get ok battery life, but I have to adjust my 0% mark up to the 30% mark just to be safe.

What I don't get is how everyone's 6P seems to be having this issue, new and old, so it's not quite as easy as just aging battery as one would assume. It is an irritating issue nevertheless and I hope Google figures out a fix stat, or if they can't, give us like $3-400 for trade in toward a Pixel for it or something. (lol yea right)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Verizon sending out Daydream headsets finally. Can't wait so I can be in the future...oh
http://imgur.com/a/B9evP

I thought the Pixel didn't have any performance issues with daydream and heat?

Now my 6P, that might be a solution I could get behind....it.

Outside of VR stuff, the Cameras on Nexus/Pixel devices is still pretty good for a phone.

Got a shot of the Supermoon through my new Scope by holding the phone to the eyepiece long enough to get a darn shot. (Already have a phone mount ordered).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

You could also check out B&H Photo if you aren't in New York, you can get it sales tax free which helps, especially if you want bigger than 32G.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Tried the Daydream + Icepack cooling on the 6P last night. :v:

Turns out, the 6P just isn't going to run VR outside of cardboard that well. CPU was at a max of like 40C but the 6P has a weird habit of if it gets too cold, it turns off the 4 big cores which confuses the hell out of me.

However VR Karts actually plays fully playable and looks good, if only the physics were anywhere close to good. The kart's hitbox seems to reach out like 6 inches on any side so cutting close to another kart or a wall stops you flat even though you aren't "visibly" touching.

Oh well, will eventually get a new Daydream capable device with the Snap 830 arrives so not too worried.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

If things go how Nexus did last year, if you wait until around Christmas time, Google may drop the Pixel Prices $50 like they did with the Nexus ones last year if you are on the fence about getting a Pixel.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

No it had 6G but still had some stupid aggressive app management that killed off apps more than what you would have seen with a 2G phone, that and it was still using almost all 6G but for who knows what.

They since fixed that in an update, but it was silly at the time. So far it sounds like the Pixel is the only phone able to get close with its level of multitasking.

However the one disadvantage of the OP3(T) is you can't use it on Verizon or Sprint if you are on those carriers. That and its screen is only 1080P if that matters to you.

There are also other good players in the GSM market with 6G ram, 1440P, and up to 256G UFS so while the One Plus looks great with the new 821 and such, there are other options around the same price range too.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

OPO has had good hardware since their first device, however their company had some pretty shady crap going on when they had the Invite Only purchase stuff going on and that earned them a pretty good chunk of negative publicity that probably will take some time to burn off.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

cage-free egghead posted:

Okay my phone cooled off after a while last night and has been behaving pretty well tonight. I just came over from iOS after a year. Had the Nexus 6 and Xperia Z3C up until a iPhone SE and 6S+. Some initial Pixel impressions:

- Android still feels all over the place in terms of UI. The back and menu buttons range from burger or settings buttons in the top right to slide out menus on the left side.

- The keyboard feels miles away from how responsive the iOS keyboard is. I am adjusting to a smaller screen but I feel like it's not registering a lot of my touches or I'm mistyping. Being able to swipe to type is great though, I've definitely missed that.

- The phone gets warm at some weird times. This morning I was just watching a youtube video and felt it get warm. I've got small hands so it's not like I'm hugging the thing.

- Left my phone unplugged overnight and it lost 0% which is incredible. Hoping standby time stays as impressive as that. I will mention that usage time I was able to watch the battery % dwindle on its own, but I'll reserve the verdict of that for later once my usage goes to more normal day to day stuff.

- The camera is beautiful and video is great as well. I don't think I'll do too much 4K stuff but even the 1080p video I shot looked great, EIS works super well too but at times looks kind of weird with how it compensates.

I'm excited to use this phone more. It's super good looking and having Quick Charge is great, picked up an extra charger and bunch of Anker cables to keep as backups.

For keyboard, I have been a fan of Flesky for ages now as even though it doesn't do conventional swipe, it does use swipe motions to do backspace, space, and punctuation/word corrections. Once you get the hang of it it is really fast and hard to go back to a normal keyboard once using it.

Also all the Android Heating up talk post Android N when not gaming can partially be the way the device no longer does the whole compiling of all the installed apps at first boot or app install anymore, now it does it when it is sleeping while plugged in or when the app is first run which might make the phone heat up upon first use (compiling all the main apps that make up android) and when sleeping for some people. YouTube shouldn't be getting warm so thats an oddity.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Is Fleksy the one that has the invisible keyboard?

It has the option, yes.

Also Abandoned? It hasn't been updated since April so I wonder what the heck happened. It still works fine on 7.0 on my Nexus, but haven't tested it on 7.1 yet. It still works fine for me currently.

Their site is practically dead so I wonder what happened. :( Going back to normal keyboards is like learning how to type all over again.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

I was both breaking the law and being a complete shitheel. Why am I being punished. :cry:

It's like the complaint from every hacker getting banned on Overwatch. :argh:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

I've had my Axon 7 for a few days now. So far I'm incredibly happy with it!

+ screen is gorgeous
+ blazing fast, no stuttering
+ looks and feels high-end
+ has some nice features, like a lock screen that changes the image and shows your step count
+ fingerprint sensor works brilliantly
+ audio is incredible
+ tons of options for customising, shits all over TouchWiz (naturally)

Here is a camera example. Fantastic phone for $350

http://imgur.com/a/cI3Wn

I love the way that phone looks, would be a definite tempting buy if it was CDMA capable.

Hopefully they release a upgrade next year with a similar design and CDMA (or the CDMA carriers finally turn on VOLTE and drop CDMA altogether already. Ugh)

Also trying to help my sis get a new phone on Verizon, they have to pretty much go used to get something good under $250 as everything else new is crap, payment plan, or what I still don't get, is why anyone would do the 2 year lock in, to only get charged another $20 per month (which is better than $28 a month for the full payment plan).

Was this all changed around 2012 when all the 2 year renewals went away? Even before I went SERO and my parents had to change their Verizon plan to the new one, I don't remember the 2 years going UP or Down in price depending on your phone upgrade eligibility. In the old days, you got the phone and the 2 year contract at the start, and when the 2 year was up and you were phone eligible, you would just either continue with your current setup, nothing changing, or you had the option to save $200 or so and get a new phone. This is still the case with my Sprint SERO account as I can get a new subsidized phone and extend my contract as a lock in for 2 years and not pay a dime over $50/m (Did this for a LG G3 in 2014).

I understand that carriers got sick of paying for peoples phones, but drat does it suck for the people who don't upgrade often, but when they do, have to settle for used, lower end, or float the cost of a $500-800 phone over 24 months. And being on Verizon/Sprint you have even less options to go to (hence the Axon 7 being fantastic value, but GSM only :argh: ) Oh also the $40 activation fee because you got a new phone an buttons need to be pressed or something. Ugh.

TL:DR ISP's/Cell Carriers all suck rear end these days.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

On the glass screen protector talk, I had dropped my LG G3 face down on tile before and it broke the screen protector but left the screen perfectly intact.

They work for normal drops and are always the first thing put on my phones the same day I get them.

As for cases, I am a fan of the Spigen Ultra Hybrid Clear cases as they keep the look of the phone somewhat, and aren't too bulky but provide plenty of protection all around the device.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

XIII posted:

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizons-black-friday-sale-offers-pixel-240

Godfuckingdammit, they might have just sold me on getting a Pixel sooner than I'd planned. $240 for a Pixel or an XL is pretty hard to pass up.

VZW still lets you get a new device on their payment plan without killing your grandfathered unlimited data plan, right?

Ok that is a stupid good deal even though you have to pay the Tax + $40 activation. Need to let the family on Verizon know about this.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

I just got back from a week long trip to Disney Land where I wanted to chuck my 6p at a wall. Got my Pixel XL setup last night and so far I'm in that new Google device honeymoon period

Did It stay Wall Free enough to be resellable? I am still enjoying my 6P and hoping it tides me over till next years Pixel.

I have mine all pixelized with everything but the home button animation thing. Have the wallpapers, home, phone, camera and assistant working on my 6P.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Peep Jerky posted:

Does anyone have an HTC 10? I'm wondering what complaints people have for that phone. Here's the decision in trying to make: I can either get the Pixel and Google-fi which would probably save me money over my Sprint plan, or get the cheaper HTC 10, which I like based on looks and the reviews saying it has great audio quality, but keep the more expensive plan. I know the answer is probably get a Pixel, but I don't use my phone for that much other than listening to music, so the headphone amp on the HTC appeals to me, and the price of the Pixel doesn't.

I had my hands on one for about 6 months. Rock solid phone, HTC seems to be supporting it rather well, and while it is similar to a Pixel in how it seems sort of boring, The camera, performance, and especially the Audio out of the headphone port is absolutely fantastic.

If you are looking for something with a headphone port and the best audio in a phone currently (outside of a G5 and the addon DAC thing) it is hands down the best.

Everything else is great about it, and if you get one, I can ship you a Spigen Hybrid Clear case like the one I linked to for my 6P a few post back, for the cost of shipping alone. Keeps the look, and greatly improves the grip.

Also the 6P had some battery issues that I have a hunch is part of those that Rooted their phone with SuperSU, and a few changes happening with the SR1 version mixed with the 7.0 update broke the phone around when it hit 15%. So far since I got the latest it has been fine, and if you don't plan to root or anything, just get on the Beta Preview of 7.1 and enjoy a still great phone.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Sister picked up a VzW Pixel on Friday, and her husband ordered the XL. Holy crap that camera launches and takes pictures fast, I knew my 6P had a lag but hot drat that thing takes instant HDR pics even. Wish Sprint would get some sort of credit for putting a Pixel on their network but I don't think they are going to do that.

I got my mom a 5X to replace her aging and glitching Nokia Icons which were great phones originally, but Microsoft literally dropped all high end CDMA Windows Phone's and we have gotten sick of waiting for any possible replacements. B&H had 32G Mint 5X's for $239 which was a good deal before this Pixel deal showed up. Ugh.

Though, after enrolling it into the 7.1.1 preview and throwing the pixel camera onto it, it seems to be just fine for speed and function. I can see it slowing down if there were a lot of apps and lower storage room, but for now it seems to be fast enough that it isn't really choking on any task, even the camera seems to work ok. Guess we will see.

Also that Best Buy deal is evil, yet no online shipping and every store in California seems to be out of stock so I don't know what the point of that sale was other then a Black Friday FU.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Rooted, there is Titanium Backup which continues to be a fantastic backup tool. But unrooted there are limited backup methods that work and it continues to be a WTF problem with Android, especially when they offer plenty of cloud backup solutions for games and whatnot, and yet there are plenty of games that still don't utilize the drat thing.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

Am I reading this right that you put your mom's phone on beta software

Any of the earlier releases I would have held off, but the current Beta is pretty much RC and the Visual Voicemail that 7.1.1 adds was worth the jump. I'll be pulling it out of the beta program once the official update drops on what, the 5th?

Android is an eternal beta. Same with Windows(Phone)10 too.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I apply this author's mindset to all technology recommendation requests anymore.
http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...ing-advice.html

I might point them toward Wirecutter/Sweethome first but even that advice they usually ignore.

Isn't that scenario the definition of an "askhole"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Wireless charging did save my Tegra Note 7 tablet as like all of them, the MicroUSB port WILL break, and you have two options, solder a usb cable to permanently dangle from the tablet, or a Qi pad between the copper cooling pad and the back cover which keeps the tablet from looking janky as hell, and saves it from life as broken useless tech.

Nvidia never made a batch of replacement daughter boards that house the stupid one-off MicroUSB port and for how easy it is to replace the drat thing, it is annoying as hell that once it breaks, hopefully you never need to use the USB connection again. :argh:

And for the Nexus 6P Case discussion, or pretty much any phone case reccomendation, the Spigen Hybrid Clear Case is fantastic in both feel, and being clear to let the phone actually be seen while completely protected all around (still get a glass screen protector of course).

Only caveat for that, watch out on new devices for Spigen's first runs as some of their early cases for phones like the HTC 10 had a cutout separate for the camera and flash, and doing that left a plastic bridge between the flash and camera lens causing the flashs light to spill into the camera when taking shots destroying the image. The 2nd run fixed this by having a proper full single cutout from the camera to flash but that doesn't mean Spigen has learned their lesson with the next new phone.

BTW, Google Home is pretty dang impressive as I discover its limits, I practically mumbled for it to play some music this morning, and it heard me correctly from 2 rooms away...

That and similar to Spotify, but my ad blocking on my router blocks the ads for the free Google Play service which is nice.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 29, 2016