Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile the other day and got an LG G3. Its much nicer than expected, Samsung had me thinking all android phones were garbage. The only issue I've run into though is battery life. I understand it has a 2k display, so that will lessen the battery life, but when it says I've got 3.5 hours left after only 45 minutes of use I get a bit concerned.

Any tips on how to improve the life of this thing? I'd prefer to not have to carry my charger everywhere, and I'm not buying an extra battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I think his point was that it isn't necessarily harmless from either a coding perspective or a branding perspective.

I'd add that from a UI/UX perspective it sounds like it would be a nightmare to have a system-level mechanism for managing the colors of every app on the device. What you'd have would either be a way to select a predefined theme that you then have to enforce every app be somehow compatible with or you'd have a list of installed apps that you could select the changeable attributes for each one. Neither is the kind of thing any normal user should be confronted with out of the box as the former option won't be flexible enough to make the people interested in customization happy and the latter would just be a terrible experience.

Given the amount of effort and money that goes into branding nobody is going to give users the ability to just strip that out.

But I need any option I can conceive because otherwise I'm being restricted!!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

r0ck0 posted:

I can't believe you people are worried about branding and pissing of marketing people. Did you get your phone for free in a sponsorship deal? You love your corporate overloads that much you are afraid of offending them?
No. However, we realize that the people who do branding and marketing aren't going to want people loving with that.

quote:

Do you think windows had such a problem implementing a theme system? You can change the window frame color and adjust transparency with very little difficulty in windows. Now that apps are trying to conform to the material design specs you think they are not going to add OS wide themes in a future android release? Its only a matter of time until this option is available and what are you going to say then?
Yes, Windows and Android are exactly the same, so it only makes sense these system-wide themes will happen. You're right though, it's only a matter of time until the option is available either in stock android or some fork of it, and I fully expect it to be profoundly broken in many ways.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Manky posted:

Windows isn't made by an advertising company that licensed its last major operating system revision in the name of a loving candy bar.

:pusheen:

Also, it's a phone not a computer so deal with it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I've noticed on my G3 that if I have my hand anywhere near the proximity sensor when I turn on the display, it shuts the screen back off. Is this typical?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

grack posted:

Yes, because this is exactly what proximity sensors are designed to do.
iPhone never did it, so I found it odd.

Desk Lamp posted:

Cuts down on the pocket dialing.
Ahh, yeah that makes sense. Thanks.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'm looking for a decent leather case for my G3. I've found a number of them, but they're all folio or wallet style ones with screen covers, which is not what I'm wanting. I'd prefer something similar to the leather cases Apple makes for the iPhones, though probably a higher quality leather. Does any one have any suggestions on a brand or where to look? Amazon is proving fruitless.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Just got a white 64 gb Nexus 6 from Motorola if anyone else is looking for one.

Motorola is selling them direct now?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Reverse Centaur posted:

pro-tip, add an L to the url just before .jpg on imgur to make it a good medium size.

edit: I just watched this. wtf. Pocketnow is usually one of the best tech sites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SAAZdjd1f8

Holy poo poo, did that guy actually just use his wife's dead dad as a way to review a nexus phone?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Why? Why so many notification icons?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yes, get it replaced, it's clearly a hardware fault.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Yeah it's the only way I could do anything. I can't write to the thing at all, and booting into Android makes it almost instantly reset when it tries to do something or other. Can't even wipe it, it's preserved for future generations. It belongs in a museum!

Your Cell Phone is a Piece of poo poo

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Should I trade in my Sony Xperia Z for an LG G3? T-Mobile is running a deal on their refurb LG G3. Is it worth an extra $7 a month to upgrade to it? Mainly I've been disappointed withe the camera of the Xperia Z. I have a baby and pictures are important, and I haven't been too impressed with the Z.

The camera on my G3 is really quite good, the laser autofocus thing maybe isn't as gimmicky as I thought. Upgrade if you're ready for a new phone overall, if you're just wanting a better camera but otherwise still happy with the Z then just carry your point and shoot with you or go along with the camera in the Z. 4k videos of your kid sounds really awesome until you realize your phone is the only thing you can view them on properly.

E: check this out, it'll let you compare the cameras between devices and really let you know if it's worth it.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 10, 2015

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Thanks! Since it sounds like you own it, how's the front facing camera? The Z is abysmal.

Frankly I could take it or leave it. I don't use front facing cameras often, so it's not a big deal to me.

Back camera in low light

Front camera in low light

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Thanks again. What's your job?

I work in emergency management.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Stoat posted:

So I moved from iphone 4 to nexus 6 and was merrily having fun until i learned about launchers and custom keyboards. I googled around but I can't find a definitive answer. What's the best setup of launcher to feel like I'm hacking through space in futuristic cyberwars?

The stock one.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Why do the Kevlar and ballistic nylon ones need different cases/designed differently?

E: loving predictive text

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 11, 2015

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

pandaK posted:

What are the best cases for the Note 4? The thread talks a lot about otterbox, but that thing looks like it's meant for tanks it's so bulky. I'd really like something as non-intrusive as possible.

Diztronic gets a lot of good press around here. I've got their full matte case on my G3 and I really like it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'm gonna hedge my bets on pushy salesman.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking. The back and menu/app switcher buttons are supposed to light up, is something else also?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

pandaK posted:

The light up displays for the buttons appear behind the line pattern. Is it supposed to do that because all the online pictures I've seen of the Note 4 have the light up buttons show up on top of the line pattern.

Oh I think I get it now, the Note has accent lines on the bezels on the front of the device. I guess Samsung didn't bother to not have those lines run over the capacitive buttons. This is going to be normal.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

pandaK posted:

Hmm, I think I found my first complaint about my note 4. The right half of the screen is a bit unresponsive when using the stylus. Additionally, the little circle indicator is offset by like a millimeter when I hover the right side. Fingers work perfectly fine along with the left side with the stylus. Though the issue is very minor (I have to actually press down on the right side with the stylus whereas the left activates with a cursory glide), is there a way to calibrate my screen properly to eliminate this issue?

As an addendum, the offset circle is when the stylus is straight upright

It begins. You can't calibrate the screen. My friend, you gave been Samsung'd.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I really don't get the removable battery thing. It's like "hey, we know the battery life is poo poo, so have another!" Seems to me that making a built in one that lasts a decent amount of time is better than giving you the option to swap out inferior ones.

And the cloud stuff actually works pretty well.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

My Nexus 6 is 32GB, and that's more than enough space to hold everything I want when I'm in areas with lovely data and no wifi. Even in a lot of areas I only have 3G, things like Play Music can still stream just fine. I don't need to carry every song ever made with me, just pin a couple playlists then update or change those when I'm back in a "data area". You're being extremely hyperbolic and unrealistic!

Sorry, but my phone needs to be able to hold AT MINIMUM 4 anime series at 10-bit 1080 quality. Anything less and I'd rather just be without a phone all together!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I don't know what I'm doing with a phone then, because this is everything I need right here. As you can see, I've got plenty of space for whatever else I might decide I need.

And I don't need to swap out my battery because I actually charge my phone.

E: also lol at the idea of a phone being a "crippled piece of poo poo" because it doesn't have a replaceable battery or an SD card slot.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 13, 2015

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

RE: battery life

Just put my G3 on the charger, at 18% after being on battery for 15 hours and 20 minutes. 4.25 hours of screen on time. Really hurting for that spare battery.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Deep Winter posted:

I'm holding my Galaxy S5 (in a Trident case) in my right hand, and notice that I literally can't reach the multi window (left side) and how very easy it is to press the right button. After testing that, I smile to myself, knowing that, no, I'm not crazy, and this thread's hate for Samsung is crazy and uncalled for. Carry on your frothing rage, though.

Lol if you think that size is the only thing Samsung has going against it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

You think the spergs in this thread have even seen Touchwiz since 2010? They just like to pretend they're masters of UI design on the Internet.

I used an S4 and a Note 3 in 2013-early 2014. The UI is, in fact, bad. If they're scaling things back that's good, but they need to scale it almost entirely away. Add new features that actually work right, leave the other stuff on the cutting room floor.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Two days in a row now my WiFi and cellular data on my T-Mobile LG G3have just shat out on me requiring a device reset. Any ideas what could cause that?
Also, lol Android, knew the honeymoon wouldn't last forever.

Fake edit: its also unrooted or any of that poo poo.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

The truth is "Samsung" is Korean for "lovely phone, dumb customer". It rhymes in Korean though.

Actually, Samsung means to come.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

How long does flashing a factory image take? Maybe five minutes counting the download time?

Longer than it does to type in a credit card number.

LastInLine posted:

My wife works days like a normal person. I'm a Customs broker and freight moves (and clears) overnight. I've been doing this for about 20 years now. It's easy to avoid day shift work if you're naturally so useless between the hours of 0700-1200 that no one will keep you around.

My point was that us oddballs have to adjust to the world, not the other way around. I mean it sucks when the shop calls to tell me my car is ready to be picked up at 1400 in the afternoon or whatever but I can't go around expecting them to contact me at 0300 in the morning because that's convenient for me.

And this is the loving truth. I've been doing night shift since as long as I can remember, by choice, and literally anything involving the "regular working world" is a hassle and a half.

Content: My G3 is still working great. This is the kind of android device I was looking for in 2013 when I bought a Note 3.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Google Now has for some reason decided I work at a location I stopped at a red light beside yesterday. I can't seem to figure out how to make it stop giving me travel info to this intersection since its not even part of my daily route.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Google is telling you to work the corner. Watch out for Omar and the 5-0.

I think Omar might be coming :ohdear:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I got my LG G3 late December, since then its been pretty good. It works when I need it to, but there have been a few annoyances. First being cracks forming in the top and bottom bezels around the mic and IR blaster. It'll also occasionally stop loading data. It will show a network connection and that its sending data but will not download anything until restarted. Similar problem with the quiet mode not turning off as soon as I switch it off, sometimes it'll take a couple minutes to actually disable quiet mode even though the setting toggle shows it off.

Only other thing is that it runs hot. Really hot. Like I have to let it sit for a few minutes sometimes because its too hot.

I've been wondering if the One M8 might have been a better choice.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

From what I've read the M9 is a lot closer to the M7 in terms of grippiness.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'm buying a loving iPhone.

Seriously, as an Android fan and owner since the T-Mobile G1 I'm sick of waiting for Google to get their poo poo together.

It took you six years to get fed up?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Or not recognizing the lightning cable that came with the device as an official cable, thus cutting off all notifications from playing.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Anyone have opinions on the HTC One M9 yet? I miss the metal body of the iPhone, but I'm still too miffed at Apple to go back.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Not really. I was kinda worried that since its Sony they would have it set to not play nice with my Xbox One. I do like the design of it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I dunno. I thought they might do something to prevent SmartGlass from working or something. I've been predominantly an Apple user for a good while, so I guess I just kind of expect fuckery to make things not be interoperable with other platforms.