Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Just got mellowmaesh on my 6, I am very impressed so far by how much smoother junk feels. So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
It's how my n5 died and then I came to love the n6. I just got the November security patch on the n6 and marshmallow has hit for my n7 2013 WiFi which is pretty rad.

gently caress the po

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

Pierson posted:

Died forever or just died until you could get it to a repair shop? I got this second-hand and I knew the risks, but it's annoying it couldn't even make it 'till Christmas.

If it's dead forever I may just say gently caress it and get a 5X. Be current on technology and have an actual warrenty for once instead of two generations behind.

It kept getting worse, battery life was an hour also which made me realise its time has come. For me to sell it to some shmuck and use the cash towards getting a 6. No regrets.

Next year I'll get a 6p or whatever the new one is but I'm in no hurry.

I do want a new case for my 6 as the wood one I currently have makes it like half an inch thick because reasons.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I liked the part where I get to see other phone manufacturers skins ontop of Marshmallow and ruin the gently caress out of the usability and then have rabid users justify the horrid departure away from the material design language (which is an actual step forward in UI design)

Feels good.

So anyone got any comparisons between the 6p and the 6? I have a Nexus 6 Currently and I am aware that all things come to die. Should I wait it out for this years/next years offering of a 6 inch phone? Is there a noticeable difference in how it handles the OS?

Also complaints over "its too big", I'm 6 foot 5 and have spades for hands so it don't apply as I am in the 95th percentile for palm width.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I took the plunge on N on my nexus 6. I am quite pleased with how it performs so far, nothing broken and it seems my applications all work, even in windowed which is nice.

It may horribly go wrong later on though...

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I can confirm my new phone's operating system does not force feed adverts down my throat so i think it will be quite a nice update.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
More android n shenanigans,

-fuzzy phots when using the camera through apps like telegram, trello and more. Have to take a photo using Google own app and the attach. Annoying.

-while doing camera nonsense, it seems like the CPU is stuttering thus lagging music being played from Spotify over Bluetooth

-approaching the point battery saver kicks in the CPU starts throttling and windows become choppy and requires a restart leaving the keyboard with lots of characters floating around the screen

-day to day stability is fine ish. I haven't noticed an increase in battery as I use my phone all day at work for organising and stuff

-Skype on android n is plain broken, I don't get messages until 3 hours later and I cant video call people which makes working away from my desk painful. I had the same issue on marshmallow but I could at least videocall

The issues like that only occur when the battery is below 50%, the camera app I am using is camera fv-5 which is leaps and bounds better than the standard camera. I have no idea why Google gimps the camera in the standard app as its light metering is dogshit. On the camera itself Nexus 6 it is remarkably good.

Any other comedy issues whilst on the android n rodeo?

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

Whizbang posted:

It's almost like it's an unfinished beta of an OS that will be out in 6 months and flashing it if you're not a developer is a dumb thing to do?

Incorrect, these whilst annoying can be worked around by restarting the phone, going around to the normal camera app and being patient. Getting oses out into the wild so it's not in a lab means more bug reports get filed and the OS improved.

If these are the only issues I experience then I'm pretty pleased with what they are developing. Seems like a lot of under the hood updates which will increase performance/stability but that's subjective.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I've had weather in my cards from day one. The more you use it the better it becomes.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
When I had my Nexus 5 I had a bright red official Google case for it. I really miss that case and want something similar for my Nexus 6. Any help?

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
oh slap my dick clean off my body turning my groin into the smooth smooth lines of a porche.

Android wear refuses to update, so I uninstall, clear cache thinking its the usual bug of olden times gone.

TYOOL Two thousand and sixteen, it doesn't want to loving reinstall, severing the link between moto360 and nexus 6.

More Android N fuckery to come.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

RZA Encryption posted:

Are you trying to use the N preview on your personal phone, or is this on your development device?

It's a dev phone. Still doesn't account for its untested nature, it's like testing a new car chassis on journalists without putting wheels on it first.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Well. I sit corrected. I did just sideload wear back on to get the thing working again, and submitted a bug report. It was an interesting unintended consequence though.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Updated the N6 to N Dp2 and it seems to have fixed the stuttering I was experiencing. If it's giving you problems try a factory reset as sometimes things break when updating depending on what you have installed.

I have also accepted that skype will be permanently broken on this phone and it's making my life lots more peaceful so swings and roundabouts.

What's new in the release is quite interesting as there is noticeable increase in responsiveness whilst doing everyday tasks and has fixed the portrait camera bug so it makes life bearable. Also the stuttering and keyboard lag at low battery has gone as well.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I use IF to set wallpapers from NASA's photo of the day. Really stunning.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
So been travelling with the Nexus 6 running android N DP2. Some interesting notes on new locations have popped up in Google now, translate is a little broken as I'm trying to get it to work out fish speak (Danish) with the camera which is a little interesting.

Picks up and holds different WiFi really well and also uses no data for offline maps which is incredible so you can download offline stuff and use it with no cellular data.

Can't wait for the niggles to be fixed its going to be very good and intuitive when released. I just hope that network roaming charges will become extinct soon so we can all benefit from these things more.

More notes to come as I am country hopping for the next few days.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
It's still there for me.

Also I can confirm that font resize works in all apps so if you have a large screen you don't have the kb taking up half of it :toot:

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
There must have been an update for N overnight as I'm not running pokemans or maps that often and it's causing my poo poo to break. Also had a strange one this morning when my battery drained in about an hour. A restart and a charge hasn't repeated it. Thanks for reading my ramble, namaste.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
They are probably testing it for 6 and 6p before the new phone release and hopefully issue the it's in one hit. Or just ignore the 6 :(

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Never underestimate the contract fuckery people will do.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I'm going to get a pixel xl and there is nothing you can do to stop me.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Got the n update for the chubby chops Nexus 6, still want a pixel. Or an iPhone 7 s plus ultra Quattro + RQ

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I thought it was a daily occurance to restart your nougat phone?

my nexus 6 runs all fucky if I don't (i.e. Crashing apps, slow camera etc...). Just give it a reboot.

Also after a major update I tend to do a factory reset so I can get a factory fresh image otherwise you notice a massive drop in performance after a few months.

Funnily enough with Windows 10 I have to reboot my workstation, Laptop and home computer daily. No more 8 week uptimes :(

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Oh bugger me. My Nexus 6 still hasn't received an update beyond 7.0. Any way of forcing an update short of a factory reset?

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
So I did the thing and now awaiting a Pixel XL in black. Here's the journey so far:-

- Went into carphone warehouse (an actual shop) to see if they would match the £120 upront £40.99 a month dealieo they had on the internet
- Lady wouldn't move, wanted me to pay £45 a month for half what I could get online (data wise)
- Turned 180 degrees and walked out, she wouldn't barter.
- Click buy online and fill out a bunch of forms
- Shows Pixel XL in stock
- Get email saying due April 19th, evidently not in stock :(

So I've been thinking about getting :- This Case

did I do good getting a pixel this late?

spiky butthole fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 2, 2017

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
So after a month of waiting my pixel XL has been delivered. Do i use the transfer thing to mirror what's installed etc.. on my n6 to make life easier? Does it copy over login tokens to save me having to relogin to a million apps?

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Posting from my new pixel XL. Holy poo poo was it worth the wait. Things which I've noticed so far:

- the keyboard auto defaults to halfway up the screen forcing you to hold the device deeper in your hands.

- single handed typing was impossible on my Nexus 6 but on the pixel as it's less wide is more easily used one handed

-Vibration whilst typing gives good haptic feedback.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Why would you opt to not have a warranty with an expensive device, it seems a bit short sighted to forgo any protection because you want to save some trump pesos.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
The caseology parallax is pretty nice and about £10 on amazon. I'm using the blue one and the mouldings make is really nice to hold.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I've always opted in for the beta release, is it stable day to day yet enough to run?

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

Taffer posted:

The pixel 1 is 8.5mm thick so they'd have to almost have to half the width before the headphone jack would be a major conflict.

The iPhone 6 is 6.9mm and still has a jack, and there's no reason at all to go thinner than that. Keep it thick and beef up the battery.

Whilst socket itself may fit, if you can't get the pads onto a board or have the room then you are all kinds of hosed.

Whilst it may be poo poo I will be using a dongle or investing in a good pair of bt headphones for my commute.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Goddamnit Google, push me the update already. I knew I should have taken the plunge with the open beta :(

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Just had Oreo drop on my UK pixel XL, quite pleased with it so far, noticed that when it finished it freed about 7 gig up 9n the phone which was nice.

I'll give it a whiz today to see if battery management is better, but I have noticed quite a few of the bits of automation gear I use, their apps do not like 8.0 at all (cleanspace I'm looking at you).

This has to be the least loving around update I've had as pretty much everything works without a factory restore.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

spincube posted:

I would have assumed that, given how they were practically screaming GOOGLE SOFTWARE GOOGLE HARDWARE WE GOT IT RIGHT THIS TIME to promote their phones, Pixels would have gotten the OS update at 00:00, day one; out of curiosity was the update pushed automatically to your phone, or did you go digging into Settings -> System updates?

I can't believe it's been almost a fortnight since the 'official' release date and Oreo is still rolling out to Pixels.

Ever since the official release date I've been pounding the look for updates button twice a day. I sorta gave up after the first week and then came home from work, plugged it in to charge the update icon was in the lockscreen.

Yeah I would assume the phased rollout means they can fix any issues which arises.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Had to factory reset the pixel, everything became weird without a clean install. It just sorta froze. Did the factory restore and now it's warm. Like really hot to the touch.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Reporting in after the first full day of Oreo, so far I like it. I've hosed about with it and the only downside is that despite turning on the option for the notification led, it will not come on.

The good news is that I can change what codec I stream audio to Bluetooth devices so that's pretty loving rad, however I did have to turn on developer options.

Also remember folks that not every Bluetooth device is created equally, so if your $40 set of cans will not play nice then unlucky. Spend some more cash to get a recently supported set so you get things like bug fixes, new firmware etc.. so they can work.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
+1 for the caseology parallax case for a pixel xl, every other case looks plain.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

Calaveron posted:

They had a ton of sales/promos back in August. I missed getting $100 or so off my XL by like 4 days but I did get a free Google Home.

Speaking of cases, do they make like good reliable cases ala spigen/caseology that are a color that isn't black, stupid blue name or silver? I want some color in my phone

I have a blue and gold caseology parallax, they do different colours of you spend more than 2 minutes on their site!

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Mechanical touchscreen buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Weird. I'm using p on a pixel XL with no issues apart from my banking app not working at all.

What I adore is the scheduled do not disturb at work, it means I don't see anything I don't want to and can focus, it's an absolute dream!

*Edit*

I do reset my phone daily when poo poo starts being slow.