Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I'm thinking of getting my hands on the new Huawei P9. Any impressions/things I should be worried about, besides what I can find from general reviews?

My take on the P9:
- It seems to be Nexus 6P, but smaller and according to comparisons a bit faster
- Camera seems nice, and I like the manual options on offer
- EMUI interface looks like a bleh skin, but I can fix it with a launcher or something. Not sure about notifications but I don't touch them that often so not too much of a problem
- It's substantially cheaper than the 6P here in Malaysia, and it just came out officially this weekend, which I think is a month later than most other places

I haven't had the device in my hands yet as display units only came in today and I haven't had time to really check it out in my hands, but I thought asking here might help if anyone has any impressions before I get out to get it. Or even just the EMUI impressions / update schedules in general.

EDIT: To put into perspective, I'm thinking of upgrading from my HTC One M8 because it's been wonky recently. Here were the other options I was considering:

Nexus 6P - I like stock android but it's waaaay too big for me tiny hands and much more expensive.
Sony Xperia Z5C - I like the size, but not the Sony skin which always feels like it's laggy to me, and the fingerprint sensor on the side is weird.
LG G5 - My heart was set on this, price be damned, but then everyone in Malaysia who got it complained about it so that went out the window.
HTC M10 looks...very ok. Like a jack of all trades, and doesn't really keep what I liked about the M8.
I don't really like the Samsungs because of their interface, insistence on switching around the back/recent buttons, and fingerprint sensor on bottom. Although I guess I could consider the Note 5 - massive, but I like the pen.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I own a OnePlus 6 and I am very happy, and the 7 Pro/Pro T have been well reviewed too.

Not sure how to test security, but as far as I can tell, they are one of the fastest to get software updates at least. Fastest as in "just after" Google Pixel phones do, although when that is is relative; like Pixels got Android 10, and the 7 got Android 10 a couple months back, and my OnePlus 6 just got the update officially in the last month...and no one else in my friends circles, whether it's Samsung, Huawei, or Xiaomi have it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I've got a OnePlus 6 that I'm very happy with, but it's two years old and the battery is starting to show its age. What's the general wisdom, is it "order a battery online, replace it yourself" and if yes, is it a difficult/risky process?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

seravid posted:

Risky as in catching fire? Shouldn't be a problem, as the battery on your phone is easier to remove than most (it even has a tab!). You're more likely to crack the back glass while opening up the phone.

If you're going to do this (you should, it's fine), order from a reputable store like ifixit. And you can use their teardown as a guide.

Thanks! Not sure what the reliable option in Malaysia looks like but I'll poke around. Having said that, I watched a video and immediately was like "I need a heat gun...?"

Maybe I can just pay for the service. Or see what the budget Pixel looks like whenever it comes out.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

FistEnergy posted:

Correct. Just buy mid-range value devices unless you have a mental illness and/or way too much disposable income. *cough*

what is the mid range value device that is out or coming out soon? i have my eyes peeled for sales on oneplus 8 and pixel 3a soon to be 4a but not sure of what other picks to look out for

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Speaking for myself, last time I had a phone that was constantly restarting (Nexus 4) , it was because it was overheating in a short time very fast. It quickly got to the point that it was basically unusable.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

What are the good phones to look out for now? My Oneplus 6 decided to suddenly have a super lovely battery that dies from like 30%, which I found out mid-recording an interview yesterday :(

On my list to consider so far are the Galaxy S21 and the Mi 11 Ultra. Maybe the Pixel 4A or 5; those aren't officially in Malaysia but I found sellers who bring in imported models. Any others?

General use, a good camera would be nice (gimme that bokeh, the main reason I'm considering the Mi). Doesn't actually have to be top of the top end, but I haven't kept up with phones for a bit since I wasn't expecting my phone to crap out, so not sure if there are any value buys at the moment.

EDIT: Just found out about the Vivo X60 Pro which is available here and looks like a camera beast. Not certified water resistant though which makes me worry if it storms here...

Artelier fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 6, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Still haven't settled on a phone but the OnePlus 9 just launched in my country today. But it doesn't seem like great value for the price, am I right?

For reference, it's the same price as the S21 here. Software is probably better but those Hasselblad cameras don't seem impressive? Or is this a "my taste is bad" thing

Artelier fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 18, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

It turns out, the Galaxy S21 is sold out in my country, and phone shops aren't sure when new stock is coming in (thank you lockdown).

So my new question is...S21+, worthy upgrade? Or if I am spending more, then I should jump straight to the very expensive Ultra instead? Well. I mean, they're all expensive.

S21 - 3700
S21+ -4300
Ultra - 5000

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there any way to replicate Oneplus gestures in my new Samsung S21? Or reduce the size of the gesture? I like OP's swipe up from bottom left or bottom right to go back since I use my phone with either hand.

The S21's got a similar thing, but swiping in from either edge of the screen instead of upwards from the corner. Fine, I can deal and build the muscle memory...but the swiping in gesture goes so far up the screen that if I have any other app that has a swiping inwards gesture (which I normally do from the middle of the screen), the Back button overrides the app. If there is a way to reduce the gesture detection size then that works too

Artelier fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 22, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Yes thank you! This works perfectly for my needs :D

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

...so I just got around to setting up my work email on my new S21 today and what is this work profile thing? It doesn't let me use my keyboard, I have to install two of the same calendar app and switch back and forth instead of having them on the same one...

I'd love to blame Samsung for this but afaik this is a Google Thing. Frustrating!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Uthor posted:

Someone will know better, but I think it's required by your work and it gives IT access to any apps installed on the work profile while keeping them from seeing your personal apps. So, everything will be siloed.

I understand the purpose, but I have been fiddling with my calendars for almost an hour now trying to get my personal and my work email to display on the same calendar. :(

If possible, I don't want to keep checking separate calendars. Right now if something is displayed from my work calendar on my personal calendar, it just says "Busy" whereas I normally put details of the event: "Meeting at ____, meet ____"

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I can add my personal email to my work email account and it works, but I need to pay for my Calendar app again this is a loving nightmare

If I do try to share work email to personal...

EDIT: Turns out that paying for the calendar again is useless since I can't even use my work profile to make a calendar widget on my homescreen? What??

EDIT 2: Also adding my personal calendars to my work calendar works...on pc...

Artelier fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 24, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

AlexDeGruven posted:

Welcome to using your personal phone for work.

It worked on my (dying) OnePlus 6 but this upgrade to a later Android device is very much a downgrade right now!

Many thanks to everyone who helped me out, from picking a phone to getting gestures working and telling me that This Is Unavoidable with Current Android.

Anyway unless something changes with HR I guess I'm stuck with this double apps double calendar double keyboard. Think I'm going to adopt this policy:

codo27 posted:

I cant even get rid of the cursed jesus samsung keyboard, so needless to say I dont respond to emails on my phone.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Does anyone know how to change the accent colour for the Galaxy S21? Like, I just don't want it to be the default blue, I'd like something else. I don't really want a theme overhaul or anything like that; the Theme button takes me to this Samsung store thing to buy a whole theme (or wallpaper or icon or always on display bg) which are not what I want? I tried fiddling in the Theme store app settings too but can't find anything there either

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

bull3964 posted:

*Takes deep breath*

I promise I'm not a crazy person and the words I'm about to spew forth are real and earnest because this is how you do something that's a simple menu selection on most other phones but is inexplicably THIS from a manufacturer that at one point allowed you to change things like CPU throttling limits in the settings menu.

First, you download GoodLock from the Samsung store. Like its name clearly indicates, this is for customizing your phone.

Then, once you have that, open it up. Then, from the two bottom tab choices of "Unit" and "Family" select "Family" (because, you know, theming is a family affair and not a...unit?)

From there, you can install Theme Park from the Samsung store.

This will allow you to create your own theme instead of needing to download them and you can focus on just the accent color. Though, there is a limitation that the theming is a color scheme derived from a wallpaper. But hey, you can change it in this clearly simple built in process.

Thank you, I really really appreciate all this! I never would have figured that out

Work just finished and it turns out that Good Lock isn't available in my region. No big, I'll sideload it from somewhere else. I downloaded it, installed it, and then the app itself just tells me it's not available in my region

I guess I'll just be with default Samsung blue forever...

Still appreciate the info tho!

I have decided to ask the official Samsung helpline to see if I get a response to this...

EDIT: So I tried to circumvent this by going to the Samsung Theme store, downloading a free theme, then changing the wallpaper/lock screen. I'm a genius! The themes downloaded change everything but the accent :shepface:

Artelier fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 4, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there a thread to ask about the Chromecast?

I basically just want to ask if the Chromecast apps are pre-installed or do I get them from the general Android play store or maybe there's a special Chromecast play store? I just want to see what apps are available for the Chromecast in Malaysia. Disney+ just came out here but it's a some special Hotstar version which apparently is separate from the normal worldwide Disney+ app and I want to check if it's supported before I drop money on the latest Chromecast.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Alright, thanks for the info everyone! I'll look up Disney+ Hotstar on the Play Store on my phone and see if I can make sense of it then.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I personally like to use Fleksy which has a pretty good "smart" dictionary that's very easy to add/remove words from, and you can customise the design and a bit of the layout

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Are the MOFT stick to back of phone/case stands worthwhile? mostly worried it doesn't actually stick well - am open to other brand suggestions if there's a superior alternative

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I updated my S21 and now there's some weird behaviour going on. When I switch apps (normally swipe up to home then quickly select the app I want from the home screen), I tend to get the previous app instead - I need to wait maybe a full second or two before I can choose the app. I assume this means there is some weird gesture motion error/issue going on, or maybe I accidentally changed some sort of recents delay setting? Any help for this?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I've been using an S21 (Exynos I believe since I'm in Malaysia, first time ever with Samsung) for almost a couple of years now and is it just me or is the battery extra bad long-term. Like I expect battery degradation, yes, but I feel like I'm charging it all the time, I feel like my previous phones didn't go this bad.

It's gotten to the point where I'm already sort of eyeing getting another phone even though I normally try to go 3-4 years without upgrading because I'm not really a power user. I could technically get a battery replacement, I guess, but I just had a friend with an S21 replace their battery mid last year, and now is thinking of replacing the battery again. Not sure if we're just unlucky or this is a widespread thing.

Also, as a first ever Samsung, I really disliked the whole Samsung Galaxy Store infrastructure and how convoluted it is to customise my phone, so this whole time I've been feeling like my S21 is "Good specs, but only an alright experience."

Based on this, I'm thinking I should probably switch soon, or soon-ish. But not sure what's actually good in the market right now, or coming up soon. Pixel 7 looks incredible but it doesn't officially come to Malaysia (I can still import it at a good price if I don't mind rolling with shop warranty and no official manufucaturer warranty). I mostly want a good/great camera, and a smooth, easily customisable experience since I'm the type that likes to change their layouts depending on mood.

I found the Nothing phone on display and tried it but as far as I can tell the camera seems okay for that price point and...I don't understand what the lights at the back are for (they're cool I guess?).

Artelier fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 29, 2023

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Resdfru posted:

I've got a US s21 ultra so maybe it's different but my battery is OK

Not sure what you mean about the customization cause I don't really change icons or anything like that on my phone except the wallpaper and lock screen video sometimes and I just find those on the internet.

The good lock app offers some cool things you can change, like the way your recent apps look and stuff. But it's weird cause the app has a bunch of sub apps you gotta get to do different things.

https://apps.samsung.com/appquery/appDetail.as?appId=com.samsung.android.goodlock

Can confirm the Samsung store is garbage though, I have to use it for my watch and it sucks

Thanks for the shout out of Good Lock; it wasn't available here for the longest time, but I just looked it up and they just released it for Malaysia! Just last month!! So I'm playing around with this for now to see if it helps with my customisation woes (basically I like to control the themes, animations, icons, etc).

That said, if the battery is still a pain, I might still pull the trigger on a new phone. But we'll see! I just used it to read a bit over lunch and it dropped about 14% which I feel is a bit high, it feels like...

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

i mean i would like a pixel but they're not officially brought into my country

.... i am still considering getting the pixel 7 if only because i haven't been that fond of my s21, mostly because of its less than stellar battery life

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Mental Hospitality posted:

I'm going to sound crazy to a whole lot of you, but... I think I like the OnePlus 11 more than my Pixel 7P. :ohdear:

what's grabbing you about it? i am considering alternatives because pixel doesn't come here officially but one plus does

any comments about the camera specifically would be great

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks for the breakdown! Really insightful and pushes me away from the OnePlus a bit tbh (mostly the camera issues), but I appreciate it nonetheless!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

rip, literally was considering the zenfone this past week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Are there any sleeper hit phones right now? Like how say the OnePlus 1 was when it first came out. I kinda like the form factor of the Zenphone, but not sure if there's say, a camera powerhouse, or an OS masterpiece, etc.