Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, between Samsung's Notebombs, Google's Last Year's Phones for This Year's iPhone Prices (and their brick your old Nexus software updates, you naughty cheapass you), and Apple's LOL WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH HEADPHONE JACKS AMIRITE, I've picked literally The Worst Year to decide I need to start buying smartphones for GPS and 2FA That Doesn't Suck, haven't I?

goddamn it, what's wrong with my little go phone i don't expect much from my pocket phone ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't want Samsung to die since they're the one who make the best SSDs right now.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
My credit score is in the shitter now and forever so no credit company in their right mind would issue me a card, so debit is kinda all I have.

unless we have suddenly collectively reversed our opinions on paypal, lol

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've been following this thread since the exploding Samsung stuff in September, and I still don't get why people in this thread rave about fingerprint sensors? I've had my 6P for about three and a half months now and I've never even touched the thing.

Just seems like an unnecessary security risk for a very slight bit of convenience. Punching in my pin takes less than five seconds as is.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LastInLine posted:

How are you logging into your password locker? You aren't still typing in a 20+ character, mixed case+symbols password every time you log into your banking app, are you?

I... type in my 25 character passphrase? Maybe leave it on QuickUnlock (enter last three characters) if I absolutely need to leave the database semi-open?

Also, I don't use a banking app, I just check manually on my desktop.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PerrineClostermann posted:

You should see what happened the last time someone said this

Link please.

No really, I'm truly mystified why my non-changeable fingers are considered a better security code than a very changeable pin number or pattern or whatever.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PerrineClostermann posted:

I think I got probated? Dunno, like three or four guys started railing on me, it's not a popular opinion to hold.

That said I do like it for unlocking the phone itself, just not for KeePass and similar

Well, that answers my question for why it never seemed to come up while I was lurking. Right, consider the subject dropped.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nitrousoxide posted:

Finally got assistant on my one plus 3t. I'm less than fully whelmed.

Same on my 6P. Looks like they finally pushed the assistant upgrade to the eligible devices. Also, the monthly security patch.

Now if only I had any smart home devices at all. Or a reason to use the Google Payment structure beyond app purchases.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LastInLine posted:

The Pixel/Pixel XL is the best and the Moto G5+ with 4GB of RAM is the best cheap phone.

I got the Nexus 6P last Black Friday since I absolutely could not justify Pixel XL money, but given it'll probably started getting EOL'd on the software side this year that's probably not a great option now. Also, it's like the largest android phone there is without getting into literal tablet phones. Which is fine for me and my big ol' hands, but some people don't care for em.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bull3964 posted:

There's absolutely something wrong with using a 4 1/2 year old Android phone since you are massively out of date with security patches.

I'd hold that against Google/the manufacturer/the carrier before I'd ever hold it against the consumer.

I have 10+ year old desktops and laptops running Linux when their respective Windows install became EOL'd, and my current laptop is 5+ years and running Windows 10 Creators with needing no maintenance other than a hard drive replacement, so it'll be good to go for a long time to come. Cell phones can't do this, but the high market seems to think they can get away with charging lap/desktop prices anyway.

My parents are still using their Galaxy S2s to this day without complaint. I bought my 6P last November, and I expect to use it for at least five years at that price. Any less time than that is absolutely A Bad Value in my mind.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, I've been using a digital point-and-shoot for the past decade or so, and my smartphone's camera is actually slightly better quality than it now. I literally have no reason to use my old camera anymore except if my phone battery and pack run dry.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

baka kaba posted:

http://thedroidguy.com/2015/08/how-to-boot-samsung-galaxy-note-5-in-safe-mode-wipe-cache-partition-perform-master-reset-etc-1048204/amp

There's some stuff you can try there, like safe mode to see if it's still happening and clearing caches. 2.5GB for just the running system stuff sounds extreme, maybe something is messed up there. That definitely isn't including system apps?

On stock android you get bars for System, Apps and Free, and then below there's a rundown of everything in the Apps group (which includes stock apps and services) and how much memory it's using. That way you can see which are the biggest memory hogs, and maybe try stopping them or clearing their data/caches. That's where I'd expect to see any Samsung bloat too, but you'd have to compare with another Note user I guess!

I've been using 2.3 GB average on my 6P version 7.1.2, and seven of the top ten memory users are stock android systems, with Android OS at the top with 890 mb. The only non-stock memory hog is firefox at 413 mb, and even that's just because I never close it. I just assumed that's how the system is meant to run.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

False Toaster posted:

Someone should just rename thread thread to "The Android Thread - Google Pixel Discussion". Because any other phone that you can easily get is irrelevant..

Except the current title remains relevant advice, and most people doing a casual examination of the topic for phone buying advice are probably not going to be willing to drop a grand on a not-an-iPhone.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Please be a joke.

I think CLAM DOWN's life goal is to have his own Money Bin, except instead of money he'll be swimming through a pool of old smartphones.

Then dry off next to his Note 7 fireplace.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LastInLine posted:

As for the button, doesn't Assistant do everything Now on Tap ever did?

Aside from being able to scan QR codes or identify songs for some reason.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LastInLine posted:

Clear cache for Google app and if that doesn't work, clear data. All your poo poo is in the cloud so setting it back up isn't painful.

Unless you use non-cloud based 2FA authenticators.

Which you should, since U2F isn't nearly as widespread as it should be yet (then again, neither is 2FA, lol every loving bank ever).

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

Hello,

Which phone is great right now to buy? This is a very important decision and I want to know which phone works the best for having a good time, and also maybe the phone that I can have the most fun with. Thanks

If you do buy a Pixel, make sure to buy it through the Google Store. Don't be like me and not know this and buy a device that will boot loop in a year and the manufacturer and this thread laugh at you when you complain.

(this has not happened to me yet, but I bought my nexus 6p last black friday so i can only assume it will happen within the next six months)

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Thermopyle posted:

You should always wait anyway.

I am simultaneously not a moron for buying a 6P last Black Friday because I needed the phone and You Should Wait, and also a moron because if I'm not willing to take out a second mortgage just to buy a brand new phone that's only good for two years why am I even bothering to shop for smartphones at all? Go back to your dumb gophone, silly poor. :smug:

(I honestly wish I could, but I need GPS navigation and 2FA, and yubikey isn't ubiquitous enough yet)

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
After careful consideration, I think this will be my game plan for the fall:

1) Sell my 6P before it before it starts bootlooping.
2) Buy a second-hand Pixel XL from someone trying to gin up enough for a Pixel 2.
3) Resell Pixel at a premium when the new Pixel 2 users get LG'd.
4) Wait no, gently caress step 3, I have a Pixel XL 1 for a phone now on the cheap, screw you.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

Speaking of which, XDA's just figured out how to get bootlooped 6Ps working again, and some users are now reporting the same fix method works for the 5X. It involves turning off the high-performance cores of the chip: looks like the Snapdragon 808/810 family strikes again.

Wild speculation at this point, but it may just end up being that the physical structure of the bootloopy phones were more prone to leading to the thermal conditions which caused the A57 cores to become broken in that specific bootloop-inducing way.

According to everything I'm reading, I'm going to have to root my 6P just to make sure I can salvage it when it goes tits up in a few months. Can't say I'm entirely happy with that state of affairs.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Google seems to suggest it's Data Saver. Poke around in Settings - Data Usage.

Yup, handy for when you have a 6-Gig-a-month plan but unlimited high-speed cable.

I spray bandwidth like a firehose in-home and turn into a data miser when I move more than five feet from my house.

EDIT: Also, my 6P is gold colored, but I slipped it into a black Spigen case immediately so I didn't actually care what color I got it in. Eh.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, they broke it.

And they still haven't brought back QR scanner functionality to Assistant either, forcing everyone to keep using Goggles, a program which has not seen an update in years.

Google'd.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Adding to "list of poo poo I need to buy to use modern smartphones correctly" is a new tape deck for my car, which circa 2005 the most cutting edge features it has are a built-in CD player and displaying broadcast text in a LED digit display.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Endless Mike posted:

...Why do you need a tape deck?

They used to be called "tape decks", now they're called "heads" which frankly is confusing as gently caress without the full context of what you're talking about. But yeah, the entire radio-thingie.

It also has no audio jack in. You literally need...

RZA Encryption posted:

, but bluetooth

Yeah, one of these things to get audio from my phone or anything else at all.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

nimper posted:

Wait, so it has a tape head AND a CD player?

Huh.

So, Android Auto is just plug-and-play with this, right?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That Pixel deal is awful tempting. My dad's years old Samsung Galaxy S2 or whatever it was got its screen cracked, so I'm considering selling him my less-than-a-year-old Nexus 6P to put towards a 128GB Pixel XL for myself. Especially since he'll buy another Samsung otherwise.

Only thing is I don't know if I can sell my own father a phone that might start bootlooping in a few months in good conscience.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't really wanna sell my 6P, but I'm thinking I'm gonna have to now rather than wait and have it bootloop anyway and me be out of a phone at a bad time. Problem is I can afford to, say, buy a discount Pixel with my current funds, but I can't really afford to also buy a temp phone for the duration selling my 6P and waiting for a Pixel would require.

Should I just buy a Pixel straight up now and hope I can sell the 6P later on Swappa, or am I just hosed due to the inflexibility of my situation? It's less than a year old and never been out of its case and glass screen protector, so its in mint condition at least.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

If you enable OEM unlock now the fix is much easier if you're tech oriented. It's an incredible pain in the rear end if you wait for the bootloop hell.

:sigh:

Well, I suppose there aren't really any stores around here I go to that have the Android Pay capable POS machines anyway...

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Isn't it a very very low number of 6Ps that have been bootlooping? It's not nearly as big of a problem as it is with the 5Xs right?

I can't seem to find any hard numbers on the percentage of units that have kicked off yet, and I'm not sure I can really afford the possible downtime during, say, the middle of a winter snowstorm or some other time-sensitive situation. I'm paranoid like that, you see.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, the Pixel discount on the Google store is over, I tried it the other day and was rudely surprised my order was the full $870. Now they're just offering the free Daydream which :lol:. So, if you want a Pixel, I'd say wait, watch like a hawk, and jump on the deal the moment it pops up, cause drat that was quick.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Huh, I've just been using Open Camera as my default camera app on my 6P, since I like the granularity of options and being able to save the RAWs. Reminds me of my old point-and-shoot. But I guess I'm a chump and should just be using the stock Google Camera App, then?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
On the other hand, don't do the beta two-step and enjoy watching all the early adopters brick their phones with the new update for about a month.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RZA Encryption posted:

It's final software. Public release. If there's anything /that/ bad in it you should never buy a non-iphone again.

I'm the guy who waited right up to the deadline for the free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 because I wanted as many issues as possible to be ironed out, and frankly if I thought I could've waited longer I would have.

Also, I'm only not using an iPhone because of my intense burning hatred of everything Apple stands for, and Windows Phones have proven to be :lol:.

I hate the smartphone ecosystem and everything about it, is what I'm trying to say here.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Taffer posted:

I don't have persistent notifications for anything ama

what's it like living such a boring phone life

I've got ACR and Tasker, so this'll be fun when my upgrade comes along.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kerning Chameleon posted:

On the other hand, don't do the beta two-step and enjoy watching all the early adopters brick their phones with the new update for about a month.

RZA Encryption posted:

It's final software. Public release. If there's anything /that/ bad in it you should never buy a non-iphone again.

LastInLine posted:

In other Oreo news, I was just doing the same thing I do every day on my Pixel XL and listening to a little Google Play Music while I worked. When I was done I woke the phone to stop playback but the pause button was unresponsive on the app and I paused the music on the notification and swiped the notification away.

The entire phone then became unresponsive. The back and home keys did nothing but the overview button brought up split screen mode and activated Chrome beneath GPM. I dragged that down and away and pushing the overview button again allowed me to swipe away GPM. Unfortunately from that point on, every app had the half of the Chrome windown covering the bottom half of the screen. Even after I used the option to restart Nova in the settings the bottom half of the screen showed my last Chrome window with the icons and app pullup over top of it. It was present inside any app I opened.

I would've taken a screenshot but the whole image was covered in personal information, both on the desktop behind Chrome and in the Chrome window itself.

I had to restart the phone to get it to work. Kind of a far cry from where my Pixel was a week ago.

lol

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dissss posted:

The problems are widespread enough that I couldn’t sell mine at all even though it had a fresh battery - all I got was comments about batteries and boot loops.

My mum is using it now and I expect it to last her a while because it’ll never run anything intensive enough to heat it up again. Seems like a waste really but she really does appreciate the camera and her second gen Moto G was awful so it’s a pretty big upgrade for her.

I'm really kicking myself for not jumping on the Pixel discount deal in the Google Store when I had the chance the like week it was available. I'm watching this thread and the Google Store like a hawk now for the next deal (if it comes), but that still means if/when I get it, I'll only be able to get like $200 max for my 6P on Swappa, if I can sell it at all like you said. And unlike you, nobody I know wants to use a big phone, even setting aside that each passing day feels like another spin on the roulette wheel and you're betting your phone on the ball hitting anything except 00.

(before you say it, no I will not buy a Verizon Pixel, lol to buying phones from carriers)

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blue Train posted:

Buy a pixel

Don't suppose there's an alert I can set up for whenever it next goes on sale in the Google Store, is there?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Operationally, Oreo is cool and good so far. Visually, I hate it. Gee, thanks for taking the nice dark green UI and turning it to eye-searing black on white with no option to adjust it without rooting. Also, the new icon style blows and finally broke me down to get Nova Launcher and the Moonshine icon pack. Now if only I could edit the icons on the system level without rooting as well.

Still, nitpicks aside, an acceptable incremental update.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Really loving how reality itself keeps raking me over the coals for my first-time beginner mistake of not buying from the Google Store.

probably not even gonna be able to find a sucker left to take this 6p off my hands when the pixel goes back on sale, gently caress

Well, at least we'll all get to suffer when Google next year announces the Pixel 3 will be removing the fingerprint sensor in favor of a not-Face ID scheme because apparently all of Apple's bad ideas have to be propagated throughout the entire smartphone sector as well as the good ones.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
$155 to dump my 6P without having my conscious whine at me for saddling some random shmuck with a soon-to-bootloop phone? Sounds good to me, think I'll wait a bit longer to see if the Pixel 1 XL gets a price drop in the coming weeks though.

(watch this trade-in deal only last a week like the first price drop)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Everyone thinking about trading in their XL's should instead consider selling it directly to me at the same price. You will have the piece of mind knowing it went to a good, gently-using (and screen protector and case using) home and get to be smug to your friends about not directly contributing to ewaste in a landfill.