Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

CLAM DOWN posted:

Also in other news, more Pixel 4 leaks!

and
https://9to5google.com/2019/10/02/exclusive-google-pixel-4-dual-exposure-camera-video/ (scroll down to look at the video)

I wish the Pixel series would at least attempt to match cpu/ram/battery specs of phones released 7 months ago. Why not 8gb of ram, a 4000mah battery and the 855+?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Can we start digging a hole for the promised RCS features that were supposed to appear months ago on their texting app?

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I those those did exist but was dependent on carriers implementing RCS itself

Right, they said that they figured out a way to bypass the carriers/device limitations if you download the beta version months ago.
Still hasn’t happened.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Horn posted:

Is the 3a a worthwhile upgrade from an og pixel? My xl is starting to be annoying in a lot of little ways and while I could try a factory reset I haven't done that since I had the safety net of titanium backup so it makes me nervous to trust Google's back ups. Buying a 3a even if it's a small upgrade means I can at least verify I didn't lose anything during the switch.

Am I being dumb?

I'd skip it. the 3a is kind of underpowered and I think the Pixel 3 is 400 on Rakuten with code SAVE15.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Today's mixed up teens will follow any trend. I say, blast me with 6 inches of 700 nits right before bed any day!

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
I like to think cases have saved my phones from shattering on the asphalt when I leave my car for the millionth time.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why are you throwing your phone on the ground when you get out of your car

Sometimes I forget I have my phone on my lap, until I hear that telltale sound of premium Chinese TPU hitting the ground.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

bull3964 posted:

That just raises more questions. Why in the hell is your phone sitting in your lap in the car. I hope this is when you are a passenger.
Because sometimes I change songs at red lights and I don't have a cradle in my car.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
I think the One plus line is about as low as you should go on a brand new phone provided your carrier works with them. Spending around half a $1000 on a brand new phone with slow rear end specs seems like a weird choice.

Edit: As far as readily available phones in stores. There are a ton of chinese offerings with great specs for less provided they have Gapps support and your LTE bands of choice.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

gwrtheyrn posted:

My OP7 still has its os crash about once a week. I'm sorely tempted to sell it and buy a nokia 7.2. That or hope the android 10 update fixes it (it probably won't)
That sounds like a pretty big performance drop... is oneplus not honoring your warranty or something?

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
True wireless earbuds are cool and good.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Well, if you're disappointed over the pixel 4, the s11 is right around the corner.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

cr0y posted:

Note 10 plus. Good?

S10+ better if you don't mind the lack of S-Pen.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Just chiming in to say that Facebook messenger is pretty easy to chat and send high res photos and... well who doesn’t have one?

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

vyst posted:

But what if, gently caress Mark Zuckerberg tho

bbcisdabomb posted:

Also gently caress the official Facebook apps.

Well, I guess your main options realistically will be:
1: Sending those 1998 mov quality files via MMS.
2: Trying desperately to convince your family and friends that facebook messenger is evil as they humor you for about 5 minutes before returning to their group chat LOLing at how goony you are.

Skarsnik posted:

Messenger compresses photos horribly in my experience

I have to send pictures in all the time in work and use WhatsApp for pictures, even if i might usually chat to that person in messenger
Even if you enable high res? I find some of my friends use high compression which still makes for better than MMS photos, though.

CoolRanch fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 18, 2019

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Yeah, most of the speculated cons or downsides are validated. I'm surprised the camera isn't blowing the competition away. (not that it looks bad).

So yeah, S10+ or OP7T seem like the best choice considering they'll both have Android 10 soon/now.

CoolRanch fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 21, 2019

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

CLAM DOWN posted:

Other than the non-XL having a ridiculous battery and the gesture feature seeming incomplete, what other "speculated cons being validated" are you referring to? And I dunno what you expected with the camera other than incremental/minor improvements. All cell phone cameras are going to be severely limited by physical sensor size, and a lot of results are going to be subjective as to how each OEM processes things.

I don't agree with your recommendation of the S10 either, for a multitude of reasons.

Sorry, I meant to recommend the S10+. Every other week there are great deals for it and it ticks all the boxes including a wide angle lens, gcam, and a headphone jack along with a 4100mah battery and killer screen (not 90hz but still) And the beta program for Android 10 is already out.

As for Pixel 4 concerns before launch that became true:
1: lovely battery life.
2: Gimmicky motion stuff.
3: Uninspiring performance (not bad, we've seen it with every android flagship and $600 dollar phone for months)
4: High cost
5: According to android authority, P4XL keeping the time honored tradition of some hardware faults.
6: Not much to get excited about for the price.

edit: Samsung has actually improved it's software updates to near monthly from my experience owning an s10+.

CoolRanch fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 21, 2019

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

CLAM DOWN posted:

What? I can't see any evidence of this

from their review:

quote:

"One odd thing to address: David suffered from a weird launch delay when firing up the Settings menu on the XL. It’s not a RAM issue as the app wasn’t in memory, so it appears to be a flash storage issue. We’ll update our Google Pixel 4 XL review if and when we get to the bottom of the problem."
Could be a one off, but still.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
I'm just going to bring it up again: Most Snapdragon phones (s10 and Oneplus 7 iterations specifically) have access to versions of GCam that will bring MOST of the functionality and processing that the pixel series have.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

butt dickus posted:

I shaved and retrained it to my mutant face and it's still slow.
This is going to sound really dumb but a couple of things:

1: I know the Xbox Kinect had issues with the IR blasters and direct/indirect sunlight. Are you training it in those conditions?
2: Maybe watch someone on Youtube input their face data? MY GIRLFRIEND didn't realize you had to slowly move your face around on the Iphone to set up faceID
3: Picture aside, maybe blot your face for any excess oil?

edit:
Blotting during set up.

CoolRanch fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 26, 2019

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Re: RCS and Photo Chat for family and friends.

I've gotten a ton of my family and friends to just use google photos. They already have a gmail so they don't have to sign up for poo poo, it's free and it backs up their photos automatically.
And as for sharing, you can literally just select some photos, hit share and tap their name, and they get a notification that takes them straight to the google photo app, no weird links or sign in required.
AND it's higher quality than MMS or Facebook WOW!

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Dahbadu posted:

So I'm diggin' the idea of getting a new S10. I'm currently with Verizon and I'm eligible to upgrade.

Anyone aware of cool offers for an S10? I'm willing to switch carriers if necessary.

https://bit.ly/2CaMAuv

A lot of deals are popping up around black friday but there are a few of them.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

bull3964 posted:

Note 10+ arrived and I'm almost ready to chuck it already over the fingerprint scanner. Hopefully an update and retraining will help because this thing is borderline unusable.
Try retraining your fingerprints again, but this time after the inital "print" press the screen lightly so it's barely registering your fingerprints the rest of the process. It really made the lovely in screen reader a lot less frustrating when I did that.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Alternatively try increasing the screen sensitivity.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

People with OP7s, Pixel 4s, or other high refresh phones, what is everyone using as their browser? After getting annoyed with Chrome's lack of adblock and feeling like it's only running at 60hz due to ads, I decided to experiment. I was unsatisfied with Firefox Preview and Samsung Beta, tried out using Edge since I have it installed for Microsoft reward farming. Only 60hz. But then I realized I had the Bing app for it's daily offers and lo and behold it is a 90hz browser with adblock. So I guess that's my new default?

I really liked using Kiwi since you can actually install desktop chrome extensions, and the dark mode for websites actually works.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
I wonder how all those s10's and note10's were being hacked with nothing but a screen protector or case, and your poo poo won't even detect a finger.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, this is me. I'd resolved to deal with my flaky usb port, but with EOL, I'm really trying to decide between the 7t and P4.

For me the P4 is better in all the important ways except price.

Right now I'm leaning towards the P4 because the last couple of generations I've kept my phone so long the price difference between the P4 and 7t seems a little more palatable spread over three years...

I'd definitely get the OP7T. Better price, specs (Faster Cpu/Gpu, 2gb more ram), and for what it's worth, charging -- but no wireless charging. Oneplus has done a good job updating their phones, too.

Edit: Oh duh, a wide angle camera, which is pretty dope.

CoolRanch fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 8, 2019

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Looks good. Hopefully it's lighter than the pro max.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

RodShaft posted:

I'm looking for a Sprint phone in the $200 range(lower is always better) I had an LG G6 but it started boot cycling(as all my LGs do at end of life for some reason) I'd like to not take a step back if possible but it seems a flagship phone from 2 years ago is better than anything in my price range. The phones I'm considering are...

Galaxy Note 8
Used.
As old as my LG but better stats.
Unlikely to be supported going forward.

Moto G7
New
Comparable-ish stats to my LG
Is Motorola going to be around to update?

Moto G7 Power
New
A step backwards stats wise
Dat battery life tho.
Will the 720p screen bother me?

Any input please. Any phones I missed? I just started looking yesterday and this wasn't a planned expense.

If the battery isn't on it's last legs and the screen doesn't have any burn in, then I'd go with the Note based on specs and speed alone. My girlfriend went from an OG Pixel to a Moto X4 (similar specs to the G7) and it was a noticeably slower.

I don't know if you've accounted for this already, but google fi has a deal where an unlocked G7 can be had brand new for $100, and the Pixel 3a for $250. All you have to do is activate the phone and then promptly cancel, and at worst you'd be out $20 on top.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

bull3964 posted:

I question having the hump off center when it's that large.

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/11/26/galaxy-s11-plus-cad-renders/

I wonder why they're going for this instead of the much nicer looking s10 and note10 backside design.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

RodShaft posted:

Is the Galaxy S10 good for all day use. I was on an LG G6 and was basically charging whenever I wasn't moving around.

The s10+ is.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Branch Nvidian posted:

Five and a half hours-ish between YouTube videos, browsing Twitter, and various messaging apps (Discord/Telegram/etc.). I unplugged my phone about 4 hours ago, and it's down to 76% already.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I can/should do to better improve battery life that isn't just "disable all the good features" then please let me know.

An hour of screen time per 10% especially on video isn’t terrible at all.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

TheLawinator posted:

Is there a performance difference between my pixel XL and a pixel XL 3a or would it just be a refresh? My phone still works just fine and the battery lasts as long as I need.

It might just be something I swap to until the 4a next year since the 4 seems hit or miss.

looking at benchmarks they are mostly tied. I wouldn't waste the money.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're at 76% and over 2h SOT already?? That's loving fantastic battery life! What the heck is wrong with you people?

This is objectively untrue. Don't mislead people.

It's completely fine and good to recommend the 3a over the 3, given price differences, I've recommended the 3a to people multiple times in the last week, etc, but don't lie about it.

I was basing my assessment off of phonearena's benchmarks, where for the most part they are tied or close enough where you wouldn't notice a difference.
go to benchmarks and add the Google Pixel, they're pretty drat close. (Aside from GPU metrics where the original Pixel is way better, making for a smoother experience)
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/Google-Pixel-3a_id11060/benchmarks

The original Pixel had a pretty nice chip in it, I bought a cheap moto g7 to screw around with and it's hard to recommend a new budget phone over a 3 y/o flagship.

CoolRanch fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 30, 2019

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

cage-free egghead posted:

The issue with recommending the Pixel is that they're 3 years old. They're on their last gasp of updates (Moto doesn't have a great track record tho) and many of the used ones at least are experiencing some type of burn in. Not to mention degraded battery life. If you can get one new for ~$200 I'd say it's worth it but that price range is becoming more competitive each year. Take a look at the Xiaomi phones that have come out lately in that range.

Also benchmarks aren't and never have been indicative of daily usage habits.

Right, but that poster was wondering if there was much in the way of difference performance wise between his Pixel that he has now, and replacing it with a 3a for $250.
Personally, I think the best deal right now is that unlocked G8 Thinq on Amazon for $399 for anyone looking for a new, nearly flagship phone.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

peepsalot posted:

I have a Moto X4 on Project Fi, and was thinking about maybe switching to a Pixel 3a @ $249.

I'm just not sure if its much of an upgrade though. As far as I understand the camera is way better(which I honestly don't care *that* much about), and it has 4GB vs 3GB RAM at higher ram clocks, but the cpu itself is actually clocked a bit slower? But its also 10nm instead of 14nm, so idk if there's more to it than straight up clock comparison, like IPC etc.

The moto x4 is ... OK, it just feels a bit sluggish at times, so I thought I might hop on to a "deal" like this. Would a 3a likely be any more responsive though?
Should I just hold out longer for some possible future device options? $250 is already the upper limit of what I'm willing to spend on a phone right now.

Or are there any other Fi compatible devices that I should consider?
Maybe a used/refurb Pixel 2? (I've already had bad luck with OG Pixel refurb that I tried before getting the x4, where it had no in-call audio in either direction, so a bit wary of that option).

Also kinda lame that Fi only offers up to $10 trade in credit for a completely functional Moto X4, which was IIRC $199 like 1.5 yr ago.

The 3a will be more responsive because the GPU is about twice as fast than the slow rear end X4. It won't be a night and day difference but it will definitely be noticeable in just about everything. You might wanna spend a couple of minutes with one at a store before making your decision, but I think if the x4 is driving you nuts the 3a would be a decent choice for the price.

edit: The Pixel 2 will be the fastest out of the 3, I'd suggest doing some research to make sure it isn't/won't be impacted by any hardware gremlins if you decide to go with that.

CoolRanch fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 2, 2019

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Tortilla Maker posted:

After a smartphone lifetime with iOS I think I may make the jump to Android (via Pixel 3a) tonight. In need of a new phone and can’t justify the pricing of semi-recent iPhones.

Wish me luck.

outside of swiping left to go back being a universal thing on iOS, I think Android is pretty solid nowadays, and still "fun" to gently caress around with customization wise.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
I wonder how the recently leaked 5000mah capacity battery in the S11+ is going to fare with that note sized screen, 120hz display, and 5g out of the box.

Also: Semi confirmed curved screen:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Galaxy-S11-screen-protector-leaks-point-to-curved-edges-all-around.445069.0.html

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

mfny posted:

On returning id be getting store credit back which I can spend ether in store again or online.

So can anyone recommend me a phone from here: https://uk.webuy.com/search?categoryIds=979&categoryName=phones-android that is "Available to buy online", or "A specific store's stock" in the Douglas branch for £185 or less. Would be looking for something similar in form factor and specs to the 5t overall I guess..

EDIT: And just to clarify who are indeed the good guys right now phone wise ?

From that list i'd say try another 5t or the Pixel 2 xl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

butt dickus posted:

December update made face unlock work with my sunglasses!

Nice man. I know you've had the most issues.