Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
So I have a Pixel 4XL on Google Fi and I keep getting messages that I need to "reenroll in face unlock", but that seems to be impossible. Anyone else have this issue? Google is telling me I need to do a factory reset. Any other options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
Soli would constantly change tracks when I moved my hands while driving. Annoying at it's worst, useless gimmick at best. For the record I really, really dislike face unlock and I hope the 5 goes back to fingerprints. It was technology for the sake of technology and in practicality a huge step back from the simplicity of finger unlock. Especially since we're stuck wearing masks constantly.

Also, if anyone is on the fence on galaxy buds vs pixel buds (I think they're called that), get the galaxy buds 100%. I started with them and they've been great, almost never having connection issues at all. I had some extra Google store credit I needed to spend so I picked up the pixel buds. The pixel buds constantly drop connection in one ear, in both ears, or lose sync and create a sort of echo effect. It is insanely annoying and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone for that reason alone. Just awful, and I'm on a Pixel 4XL so I figured they'd do pretty well.

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

butt dickus posted:

I complained about my pixel buds earlier in the thread, getting the 1:50 cutouts that I've seen many complaints about on other sites. All of a sudden they just started working. I thought maybe it was a fluke but I've been forcing myself to listen to music and they've been working perfectly. I never had any of the issues you brought up, though, just the cutouts.

I was hoping that the latest firmware update would've made mine magically work! But it didn't :(

I shall still hold out for the hope of more magic, but the Galaxy buds have been absolutely superb, connectivity wise.

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

HelixFox posted:

Ordered my 5. £599 in the UK and looks like there's a promotion in the UK, Ireland, Germany, and France for a free pair of Bose QC 35 IIs if you pre-order:
https://support.google.com/product-documentation/answer/10070211?p=bose_promotion&visit_id=637370871204563558-507472060&rd=1

Wtf, that's a crazy deal isn't it?

Pre-ordered my 5 for Google fi in black in the US, also getting the oct 31 delivery date. Usually they've been quicker than the estimate for me though.

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
My P5 just shipped this week but still no trade-in kit. It usually arrives way sooner but it hasn't even shown as shipped yet. Anyone else having this issue?

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

ThermoPhysical posted:

My green fabric case just shipped, I was told that the kit (had I not cancelled ordering the phone from Google), would've shipped a few weeks before the phone did. But not to worry about using it until about a week or so had passed?

I'd call Google Store CS.

Yeah, they usually ship the trade in kits early which is why I found it odd this time. Thanks.

e: My trade in kit did indeed slip under the radar and they shipped it out. So if y'all didn't get yours yet I'd bring it up to CS

molestrios fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 29, 2020

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
Looking forward to the 6 Pro more than any phone in recent memory.....I've had every Pixel and the 6P but this one seems to be a big upgrade. I just hope I can figure out who will ship the phone anything except FedEx ground which has been truly awful lately. One to two week delays constantly, I think they're hurting for people or something I dunno

I will say the Pixel 5 was an underwhelming reveal but has been excellent. If you buy phones a generation behind I'd definitely recommend it.

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
I get an error when I click "check out"

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
I ordered a 128 Pro from the Fi store and it went through

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
For those on Fi, give the Fi store a shot. It's how I finally got through.

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

Rebus posted:

Anyone actually got a confirmation email?

Yeah. Standard shipping estimated delivery Oct 28-29. 128 black pro bought on Fi store

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
Friend says to try bestbuy.com .....worth a shot, I didn't try it

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

Sir Dingleby Dapper posted:

Did this and it seemed to have worked. Thanks fellow Astros fan.

Pick up on 10/28.

Must stick together in these trying times :(

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

Nitrousoxide posted:

I really don't understand scrambling to spend a thousand dollars on something with no reviews and an embargo until next week.

Must consuuumeeeeee.

I have owned every Pixel and it's just one of those nerdy things I like to do every year. :shobon:

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
What Spigen case would be recommended if I think tough armor is slight overkill? Rugged armor?

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

WhiteHowler posted:

All of the non-Tough Armor Spigen models I've tried (I think all of them now?) felt like there wasn't enough of a lip around the screen side to protect it from a face-down drop.

I love the Tough Armor, and the one I bought in 2018 is still protecting my Pixel 3. The only thing I didn't like about it is the kickstand, which came loose within a few months, and I eventually just removed it.

Thanks. I definitely need protection against face drops lol so I might just stick with Tough Armor

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
So weird that store displays are out but reviews aren't allowed yet lol.

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

ilkhan posted:

My complaining about not getting before Halloween must have been heard, shipped and ETA of Saturday. FedEx is pretty good so I should actually have it in hand by Saturday as well. If not before.

FedEx ground has been good for you? Odd, I thought they were having nationwide ground issues for the past few months. In my experience at least.

e: I'm surprised MKBHD hasn't dropped his review yet, he's usually my favorite reviewer

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
Folks that got your P6/Pro from the Google store with ground shipping in the US, has a signature been required? I swear they've required one before so I missed delivery.

MKBHD review is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hvjBi4PKWA

color shift at relatively shallow angles is back? sigh. Who made the screens, LG?

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

TVGM posted:

Yes, you can set Quick Tap to trigger the Google Assistant.

No signature required here.

Thank you, I appreciate it!

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

bull3964 posted:

I haven't had it long enough to see, but he's also the kind of person that only gets 4hr SoT on the S21 Ultra too. So, huge gains of salt.

Mike Fischer has his review of the base 6 up, I always enjoy his reviews the most.

https://youtu.be/Z98qbJQAzs8

Yeah MKBHD said 3.5-4.5 hours SOT for the P6 Pro so that sounds about right haha

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
Does magic eraser only pop up if it thinks there is something in the way? Trying to play with it but it won't show up under Edit for some reason

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

Solvency posted:

It's also not showing up where it should be for me either. Supposedly in Google Photos you should see it under Edit -> Tools.

Some photos have a "Tools" option but the only option under it is "Sky"....weird

Just checked for updates and I'm up to date. Will try restarting

e: nope still no magic eraser anywhere

E2: ohhh, had to manually update the Photos app.

molestrios fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 29, 2021

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

Logan 5 posted:

Yep same - just got the code in my inbox, gives me a coupon code does not exist. Guess its good that it's valid until 11/10

:google:

Hahaha same.

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

bull3964 posted:

So, one thing that is mentioned in the MKBHD review is good the photos are 'hot' which is a valid (if subjective) criticism. However, there ARE sliders to adjust highlights and shadows (and now color temp) in the preview so it seems like something that's easily mitigated if you want a more dramatic photo with darker shadows.

Yeah, I get the whole "pull out of your pocket and snap the perfect shot" thing, but there's also something to be said for actually composing a shot.

Yeah I agree. When I saw the HDR slider and all of the easy fixes to photos I thought it was kind of a silly gripe.

Loving the phone so far, my P5 feels tiny now lol

Literally the slipperiest phone of all time though, already dropped once, Spigen case isn't here for another few days pls pray for me

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

Mustache Ride posted:

I had to remove some invisible Unicode characters from the end of my code to get it to work. Hit backspace a few times and see if the last character disappears.

I did get it ordered though:

Thank you, that worked!

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

CLAM DOWN posted:

I really like the fingerprint scanner on the 6 :(

After I added my thumb a few times in having pretty good luck with it. I had a terrible experience with the one on the P5 for whatever reason.

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

sleepwalkers posted:

I can't use my existing wireless charging pad because the 6 is so slippery it vibrates its way off the pad after a few notifications...

Hahaha. It's so loving slippery. Hurry up spigennnnnnn

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
drat people really go crazy about incremental updates. I mean a couple things annoy me but geez.

I was super pissed when gesture navigation started because it made me feel dumb lol but now I would never go back

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

Slimy Hog posted:

I replaced my wife with more of her sweater

Giant book or tiny wife? I am perplexed

Looks like she just got off the plane at Gitmo tho lol

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
Ran a regular use kinda of battery test on the P6 pro, am at about 4% left

About 6 hours 45 SOT

26 hours total between charges

So very usable with one charge a day. Not super impressed or disappointed with it. Average.

molestrios fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 31, 2021

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
I just tested that Anker "30w" charger and in getting 15 or 16 at best. And this is from 1% battery. Does the usb c cord matter too?

I will also be testing the official Google one when it comes in

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

sirbeefalot posted:

You pay full price, mail them your old phone (they'll send a small box with a return label), and if it matches the description you get the trade in amount back on your payment method. You have like a month to send in the old phone.

I trade in with Google every year and will also note a few years ago they said my screen was cracked when it was not at all when shipped in their provided box. So take pictures of it before you ship it. It was a nightmare to try to get them to believe me.

Other years have been smooth with no issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
I have had every google phone since the 6P and the 7 Pro is unique because it literally just feels 100% like the 6 Pro. Usually there are some distinct differences in display, size, speed, etc but it feels the exact same. So if you want a 6 Pro with marginal face unlock (granted I'm a hater) and a few camera upgrades go hog wild imo. No other reasons to buy it over a 6 pro tho. Also the hazel color is cool