Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Whatev posted:

Shoot, I have been waiting for the Pixel 3XL to replace my 45 minutes from full charge to dead 2015 Moto X Pure, but Google didn't knock it out of the park like I was hoping. The price is right around the area I don't wanna gently caress with without a real big reason to since I like to fall down and get robbed.

What's the selling point of the Pixel 3XL over the S9+? $900 instead of $750 isn't too palatable to me if the only notable difference is an arguably better camera. I would stretch whichever motherfucka I end up with as long as possible, if that makes a difference. I imagine both have batteries that can be professionally replaced without too much hassle (at the cost of waterproofing, of course.) I'm not as clear on what support would look over two to four years, though.

I am currently undecided between the S9 (560€ here) and the Pixel 3 (950€) and that price difference makes it very difficult for me since feature wise they are not _that_ different. Though the S9 here doesn't come with the snapdragon chip but the inferior exynos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's literally $500 more than Canada for the Pixel 3. It's roughly 664€ here. That's absurd. Do you have any other places you could order it from? Like, wtf.
I was comparing the 128GB version, the 64GB is 100€ cheaper. And that already includes 19% VAT, not sure if you also do that in Canada.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I'm currently deciding between both to replace my dying phone as well since they are the only not-stupidly-big flagships, or alternatively, the-only-decent-sized-phones-with-nfc-and-waterproofing, and the price difference for me is roughly 200€.

If it were a 400€ difference it wouldn't even be a consideration. ~*Stock Android*~ and best smartphone camera aren't worth that to me, especially since I'll probably drop the thing and scratch the lens or something equally stupid.

Was kinda hoping Sony would do an XZ3 Compact based off their new design language, but with a 5" screen like the XZ2 Compact. Too bad the XZ2C is a real fatty of a phone and so, so ugly.
Well the better SoC and battery live is also a big plus for the Pixel 3 over the Galaxy 9 here.
But yeah I feel the same about the XZ3 and if there was a sub 6" version of the Pocophone I probably wouldn't even need a second to decide.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Khablam posted:

The Samsung screens in the P3 go a fair way to explaining the extra $150.

The P3 has an LG screen.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

hooah posted:

How can I get the Assistant to pronounce my (wife's) last name right? I added a phonetic pronunciation to all the contacts with the same last name, but it didn't change how it pronounces it when e.g. I get a text while driving with Android Auto.

Tell your wife how to pronounce her name from now on

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
New pixel 3 catte test pictures

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

how is the awful app for android? it’s pretty solid on ios, and i’m thinking of going for the pixel 3 soon and this is a consideration.
I just made the same move. It does some things better, some things worse than the iOS app. It will require you to relearn some things but if you're switching from iOS to Android it's to be expected

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Uthor posted:

Plugging in every day sucks.
Yeah, that's why I don't miss the headphone jack.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Well let's check Samsung's official bug tracker for what's wrong with their phones... oh wait, they don't even have one.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I can't wait for phones to be just one big screen that wraps around the whole device.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Man gestures are so much better than just double tapping a button real fast switch between my current app and my last app. gently caress

Why are you trying to get that button back then? Just use the gestures.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

LastInLine posted:

It occurred to me out of the blue today that it says a lot about the kind of person who is willing to post on the internet about phones that we were complaining about there never being a good place to put your phone in your car so the wires work and all that and no one brought up that women have been carrying purses for about as long as they've been driving and have never had a good place to put them. Given that we're unwilling to solve a problem that's existed with car interiors for almost a century I'm betting they aren't going to solve the wire routing and phone placement problem any time soon.

Well the phone problem also affects men so I wouldn't bet on it. In fact I'm sure there's already a crowdfunding for phoneHoldR somewhere

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
You don't have a personal bard for these kind of things?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I really like the app suggestion feature, after a while it gets really smart and 95% of the time suggests the app that I want to open.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

docbeard posted:

Isn't the entire complaint that getting photos that were inadvertently removed from the phone back onto it is a really painful process, because Google (and numerous people in this thread, apparently) can't envision places where the WiFi isn't free and ubiquitous and the data plans aren't unlimited and the mobile reception isn't perfect?

I guess they assume that you have other things to worry about if you live in the Antarctic

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ohhhhh gotcha, the case can wirelessly charge. That's neat, I have so many wireless charger pads lying around. Thanks for the trip reports!

I have to shamefully admit I got the airpod 2 case solely for charging my old airpod 1s wirelessly.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Can't you just say "hey Google play the next song"

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

crepeface posted:

i have been sent details for my flights

how do i easily put them into my calendar short of doing it manually

i tried to ask assistant to do it by getting it to scan my screen but it keeps saying "touch and hold the Home button and tap "What's on my screen?" which doesn't help because i haven't had a home button since i got this phone please help.

edit: i even tried enabling three button nav, holding down the home button gives a black screen

If you enable events from Gmail in your calendar app's settings it should show up there automatically

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Google Discovery just started serving me ads. Is it because I'm in another country now or is that a new thing?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Is it possible to run the Pixel Stand on anything else apart from the provided power plug? I tried using a USB 3 cable off a usb charging port but nothing. 😟

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Google's face unlock turns impractical really fast once you're supposed to wear a mask at all times 😟

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Out of curiosity, how many jobs require you to wear a mask while not also wearing gloves?

Any job that has managers freaking about nCov. And there's quite a few of those already in SEA

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Though for Samsung S20 you will have to accept a lower resolution, right? How does that look like if things are rendered below the native resolution of the screen? I would expect sharp edges to become a bit blurry, no?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
The Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro seems to be on par with the Samsung S20, especially considering it goes for less than half the price.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Got my s20 Ultra OtterBox symmetry (thin one) case today. Other than being about a cm taller and a bit thicker it is the same dimensions as the same case for the p4xl. That's reassuring.
So you're saying that apart from two out of the three dimensions being different, it has the same dimensions?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I just store movies and music at home and download it whenever I need it. With 5G it's not really that slow. Same as Google photos retrieves it from cloud, really

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
People wanting cheap to non existent delivery fees and then complaining about cheap to non existent delivery service will never not be funny to me

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
What's the wireless charging situation like nowadays?
If I want to charge my S20 with the full 15W do I need a Samsung charger or can I get that with e.g. an Anker too?
Already got hurt switching over from a Pixel (now my pixel stand is more or less useless) and would like to try and avoid haven a dozen wireless and wired chargers and cables lying around here. But the Samsung wireless charger stand is quite expensive.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

GopherFlats posted:

So I've been on the pixel bandwagon since the first phone. I have an og pixel (which I'm using now) and a pixel 2 xl which recently took a swim and is shot. So I'm looking for a new phone, pixel 4 I have no interest in, pixel 3a seems good but should I wait for the 4a? Or are Motorola's g phones worth a poo poo?

At this point I'm past worrying about flagship phones and just want something close to stock android with good battery life. I'm really liking the look of the 4a but kind of worried my original pixel may not last another month.

I think it's three weeks away. Three weeks of waiting for an additional year of update support

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

yeah, the fingerprint scanner is totally fine. It’s not great, not awful. You get used to the location of it pretty quick, too.

The galaxy fingerprint scanner works fine if you put the fingerprint app into the "never put to sleep" category in battery optimization.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I don't think that moves it to the back of the phone.

Yeah I moved from a Pixel3 to a S20 and the scanner in Front is way more convenient.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
You can tell it's real code by the long forgotten TODO in there.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Lint accumulating in the ports and sabotaging it has been quite common for me. Just clean them with a tooth pick. I can't wait for when phones finally come without any physical ports.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Yeah the pixel launcher worked fine for me.
Then I moved to a Samsung S20 and now I have to choose between losing Google discover on swiping left, or losing gestures working correctly with a 3rd party launcher 🙁

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I ruined the oleophobic coating on my phone. is there any way to fix this? :(

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I can't wait for a phone without holes in it

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Does autofill work better/differently in 11 than it does in 10? I use 1password and it still seems like autofill on android 10 is generally jankier than whatever it's equivalent is on iOS these days (in terms of app support, what text fields can be autofilled, etc).

I use chrome's password manager and it's as perfect as I could want it to be

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

MrNemo posted:

As a general note because I'm really loving glad I did it - I changed from Google authenticator to Authy as my 2FA app last week in anticipation of switching from my 2XL to a P5 and I figured I'd deal with a one off pain in the rear end to be ready for future phone changes. Last week I went on a diving trip and managed to lose my phone somewhere on the last day. Used find my phone and apparently someone had handed it in to a local pub and I've managed to get it back but somewhere between dropping out of my pocket and being handed in the screen got absolutely smashed (looks like someone threw a rock at it) and no longer functions.

I can only imagine the pain in the rear end of having a dozen accounts with 2FA that is no longer accessible and trying to get all that updated. I've got back up codes stored locally for some but I've realised how dumb having all that crap on a local device is for just in case scenarios.

Also I am still waiting for Google to ship my P5 because I now have an unusable phone I cannot log into my account on (It's clearly still working as I get haptic feedback from fingerprint unlocking). I'm hoping I get it end of next week as Google have helpfully already delivered the fabric case I ordered.
Congrats on your 1FA security I guess.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
can't wait to have a smartphone that is all screen, no holes. https://blog.mi.com/en/2021/02/05/xiaomi-debuts-its-first-quad-curved-waterfall-display-concept-smartphone/

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Why don't you just get a new phone and restore the backup that you took before disassembling your current phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

codo27 posted:

What possible reason can you have to think no bundled charger is a good thing? Its criminal and stupid

I already have dozens of those things lying around, why should I pay for yet another one.