Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
This might not be the right place to ask, sorry in advance if not:

Today I changed carriers and took the opportunity to jump from Apple to Samsung with a Galaxy S7. I didn't think to turn off iMessages beforehand. Before I left the salesman did have me go through Apple's deregister process to unlink my number from iMessage.

That was three hours ago, and so far, no texts from iPhones are getting through. I used the form on Apple's site, but no dice yet.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

There's a website Apple put up (mostly because of the lawsuit) that lets you turn off iMessage without having to use an iphone. In any case, I think they say it takes a bit (like 72 hours max) for it to complete.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

Yeah, I did that. The site says a few hours, haven't seen that it could take that long. I'll let it go a few days, and then if nothing, I'll start calling Apple, I guess.

My own fault; I never even considered it since I've only ever had iPhones since the flip phone days. Wish the salesperson had said something BEFORE I wiped the phone and traded it in.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

FunOne posted:

I've never had an iPhone with iMessage and I still have this issue.

I think if you log into your Apple ID and change your password that will invalidate your keys and speed up the iMessage shut down process.

I did this and started receiving messages again, thanks. I didn't try this because Apple's own site said something about it not doing anything.

But hey, phone's doing what I want it to now, so I'm happy.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Here's another Galaxy S7 newbie question:

Last night my phone took an update for the first time since buying it Saturday, and it got hot. Like, hotter than it does when fast charging. Almost alarmingly so.

The update going in said it would take 23 minutes, so maybe it was just due to working hard for half an hour, but is this normal? Like, it didn't burn my hand, but I've never had an iPhone get that hot before.

Also, holy crap is Twitter a data hog. Somehow it's chugged through .15 gigs just browsing during my downtime at work today. Guess I'm waiting until I'm on WiFi to use that very much. But it is nice getting a data breakdown in the Settings menu.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Turn off iMessage before you switch.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

So no one really answered that I saw earlier when I asked, and I'm not seeing much when Googling, but is it normal for the S7 to get warm easily?

I mean, it'll get fairly warm when fast charging using the wireless dock thing. When I did the system update last weekend it got downright hot.

But in normal use, I can even tell a temperature change coming off the phone when I use it for any given amount of time. I felt heat coming off the back and screen when watching a 3 minute YouTube video on wifi, checked CPU-Z and every thermal sensor was at 45c minimum. I seem to never see the sensors below 35c.

This is my first Galaxy phone, and I'm not sure if this is normal or if the phone isn't cooling properly and I should make a trip back to the store this weekend. It was just rare that I ever noticed my previous iPhones ever get warm at all, and it was always when I was playing games or switching apps and watching videos that of course it'd be warm.

:shrug:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'll get lynched for this but the Galaxy S7 is a solid phone. I get between 5-6 hours screen on time and so far it's got security updates in good time, once before my Nexus 7 2013.

The standby time is excellent too; with light use I can get from 0730 to 2200 with nearly 90% battery left. I've never had a Samsung before so I'm no fanboy. The TouchWiz overlay isn't too intrusive and it's a fairly nippy device to use.

If you covet larger screens, the S7 Edge would be the better, but more expensive, option.

Your standby time is wild to me. My week old S7 drops 10% or more just overnight sitting on my bedside table. Did you disable something to get it to last like that?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Negative, I don't have Facebook installed but I do use Facebook Messenger. For Facebook I use Swipe Pro.

I don't even have the Facebook app. Weird.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

MikusR posted:

At least ice cream sandwich and kit kat are actual things you can get in a store. Nougat is some fictional thing like Spoo. Although there exists a translation in my language, first time i heard it was in a relation to Android.

Yo man nougat's a real, actual thing

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but here goes:

Today through an unfortunate series of events involving an improperly attached phone case and a panicked Home button press, I inadvertently hard reset my Galaxy S7 at work. It took me to the verify screen where it wanted me to insert my Google account info and password. I couldn't remember my password (after a security scare I changed it to a random set of letters and numbers and only looked it up when I needed it). So then on the phone I changed my password (I know this is where I went wrong now, won't gently caress it up again), and it still didn't let me get in, so the phone showed a URL where I could recover my account.

I jump on a pc at work to go through the account recovery, I get it sorted out, I go back to my phone to log in and no dice. It just keeps looping back to the verification screen. I do an internet search on the work pc and find out that apparently this is no bug, but a feature and I won't be able to access my phone for the 72 hours because of Google's security(?).

So my questions are: do I have any recourse or is my phone a hockey puck until Thursday afternoon? When the password finally "clicks over" or whatever, is it trivial to get back into my phone? Will everything (contacts, pictures, texts) still be there or no? Are there any options (factory reset, contacting my carrier, anything at all that makes my phone work sooner) or do I need to go to Walmart tomorrow morning and buy a burner to get me through the next two days in case I end up in a ditch driving home or something.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Today my Galaxy S7's been losing battery like it's a sieve. I check tye battery stats and a Cloud app has sucked down 47% of what's been used. Pressing Force Stop grays that option out, then it shows up again, like it's not working right.

Should I disable it? Any way to make it stop working in the background?

e: It's apparently Verizon's app, and when I hit disable, it gives me a warning about losing data.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

You can go ahead and disable it, unless you're using it for some reason, in which case you should consider switching to an alternative.

I'm not purposefully using it, I just didn't know if disabling it would bork my phone somehow. My old iPhone didn't have carrier apps like that when I was on AT&T.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

I would go ahead and disable it, there's nothing that app backs up that you can't back up yourself using better methods.

Cool, thanks

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

Step 1 when buying a Verizon branded Android device is disabling the Verizon bloat. NFL Mobile, go90, VZ Support & Protection, VZ Navigator, DT Ignite, VZ Caller Name ID, VZ Cloud, Message+, Slacker Radio...

Step 0 when buying a Verizon branded Android device is to buy a Pixel or an iPhone.

I was tired of iPhones so I just changed to Android for a change of pace when I jumper carriers last year. Proooobably going back to an iPhone when I'm up for upgrade in May.

This has been fine, but eh. I stayed in their ecosystem for everything else, might as well go back to 'em for phones.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

With the exception of the Galaxy S7, the only smartphones/tablets I've owned have been Apple products until I got an S10+ a week ago, and I have a devastatingly stupid question.

There's no harm to the S10+ battery using any USB-C cable and any USB charger, right? There's no reason I can't just use my Nintendo Switch controller cable with a 12w iPad wall charger, beyond whatever supporting Fast Charging or not? I'm using the same wireless charger I was using before, anyway.

I got into the specs on Samsung's site, and it doesn't say not to, I just wanted to make sure before I start using these things as backups at friends' and family's houses so I don't have to drag my official one around with me.

This phone is wonderful though, and I don't regret switching off of iPhone, again.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 26, 2019

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Yeah, I was just using my Switch Pro controller cable into an iPad brick to charge my phone, not the console's AC power brick.

Also I'm not all that worried about borking cables, moreso worried about the phone itself.

I did get an Amazon Basics USB C to A cable, but the connector piece is a bit... resistant(?) to being plugged in compared to the smooth plug action on the Switch Pro controller cable or the Samsung cable. May be just finicky.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Is there a reason to buy and load and customize Nova now that One UI exists? What's the sales pitch for it now that Samsung's isn't garbage?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

So my girlfriend and I have two wireless chargers. An Anker brand and a wireless Qi-certified charging hub type deal by a company called Azpen.

My S10+ works fine on either, in an Otterbox even.

Her Note 9 used to charge just fine on the Anker, but since getting the Azpen job last week, she can't seem to get her Note 9 charging wirelessly on either. Case, no case, behavior is the same. I know the Anker charger is fine because it took my S10 from 30 to 100% just last night.

The Azpen just doesn't get it charging at all. The Anker will start charging, and then after five seconds, the light flashes and a message reading "wireless charging has paused" or something to that effect displays.

So far I have turned her phone's fast wireless charging option off, restarted it from the power menu, done a soft reboot and have wiped the cache partition in recovery mode. Still the same behavior on both pads.

Anyone got any ideas short of a factory reset, which seems extreme just for this feature, but is the only thing left to try according to Googling the troubleshooting on this issue? The phone is just fine otherwise.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

cr0y posted:

Im on textra, and the infuriating issue is that its so random i cant reproduce it. If i send the identical copy/pasted text twice in a row the next one will be fine.

Maybe they're just loving with you?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Are there any strong opinions on the S10e? Does the hole punch bother people in practice? Can battery life reliable get you through a whole day?

I have an S10+, so I can't speak to the e's battery, but I much prefer a hole punch to my old iPhone's notch. I really don't notice it in use, having it off to the side versus being front and center makes all the difference imo.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

grack posted:

Hmmm.

So practical and inexpensive but slightly less fashionable (which nobody but you is going to care about)

or

Continue dropping your $1000 phone on the ground

TOUGH CHOICE

I would pay $1000 to NOT wear a belt clip

As for case chat, my S10+ has taken a couple hard falls onto concrete, and though while it was in a case both times, I think the ceramic back has had more to do with it surviving.

More phones should have ceramic backs imo.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

The base Pixel 4 only having a 2800mh battery and a 90hz display seems like a bad time, unless it's just super efficient, right

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Would it be weird to drop $200 on a Pixel 3a on Black Friday just to gently caress around with/have it as a back up to my S10+? I think my Asurion deductible for my current phone is more than that. I could just cancel my insurance and have that laying around.

Is there any downside to be logged into Google accounts on two phones at once? Would it gently caress with cloud stuff, like overwriting photos in the cloud or something?

Also, can you hotswap SIMs on Verizon nowadays? For some reason I think I remember that not being a thing a while back. I realize this isn't the thread for that, but while I'm asking questions!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I don't use a case but you ought to for when I force my powerful rear end against yours :grin:

(jk jk I use a case)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Glass phones don't bend... right?

The only major phone I remember that being a thing was the iPhone 6+ anyway.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

That S11 glass is absolutely curved

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

That does seem slower. Maybe it's not actually fast charging when it says it is?

...have you tried turning it off and on again?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I haven't tried a Samsung anything ever except at the cellphone store about three months ago when I fiddled with whatever the flavor of the month was while they set up a line for my sister on my account. It still struck me as tasteless and as long as they cling to the belief that anyone cares about their off-brand "ecosystem" there's no way I'd have anything to do with them.

So just load Google's apps and use them instead?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Spiteski posted:

So, just recently (last week) got an S10+. I've noticed everytime I press on the center part of the screen (such as swiping to unlock, or after doing thumb scan) there's like a "tacking" noise. Like something is adhering inside for a moment.
This is super disconcerting, as my wife's phone doesn't do the same.

Anyone know if this is a production issue?

I've never heard of this and never experienced it on mine, fwiw :shrug:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Downloading Android 10 on my Verizon S10+, so go check if you've been waiting on it like me.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I mean it says "tiny" right in your name, bro

To your problem, my S10 photos look normal? But I'm also beautiful and only spend time with other beautiful people, so, kinda hard to discern.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 19, 2019

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I got Galaxy Buds for Christmas and love them, but yeah, loooooads of people still use standard headphones, it's a nice plus for the midtier phones meant to appeal to as many people as possible.

I never picked up a Pixel 3a to dick around with, and my current phone will be over a year old the time the 4a drops, maybe I'll finally try owning a Pixel*. I miss having a smaller phone.

*If the battery on the non-XL is good.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

On an S10+ is there a way to show media controls for songs in the pull down menu? I feel like there must be but as my phone is set up now first I have to tap on Media to get to the controls.

I have the option on the lock screen, but if I wake my phone to change songs and look at the screen, it unlocks my phone and I'm at my home screen.

Using Spotify if that matters. I looked in those settings and didn't see an obvious option.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Jose posted:

I've had my pixel XL entirely too long but that's partly been caused by a long unemployment. However I now have a job and the battery is hosed so it's time for a new phone. The what android would people recommend bearing in mind I'd like a decent camera but I assume most have one these days and don't do much else with my phone aside from watch Netflix and browse the internet and SA

Pixel 3a/3aXL

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I cannot bring myself to give a poo poo about 5G.

Extremely same. I actively do not want my next phone to even have the antennae draining battery or whatever.

If the 5.81" Pixel 4a hits 8+ hours SoT for $400 I will be jumping on that fast af.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Was thinking of switching back to my Galaxy S10+ for a while and noticed a black dot on my screen that I didn't see before:

Anybody know what that is? It's perfectly circular so I don't think it's a dead pixel (unless that's what they look like on OLEDs?), could it be damage of some kind? I've seen pictures of great big black circles on phone screens online while Googling what this is, is this gonna get bigger until a big portion of the screen is just unusable?

It's never been underwater or anything like that, and it has taken a few drops over the year I used it, but I never noticed this there when using the phone.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

CoolRanch posted:

Mine did the same thing when I dropped it. The glass wasn't damaged, but the screen was.

Ah nuts. I was afraid of that. I must have never noticed it after the last drop that happened last year since I use dark mode everything. Has yours "spread" or impacted usage at all?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

If your mask is form fitting enough, I guess that kinda makes sense that it might go CLOSE ENOUGH LESGO, but no phone I’ve used has worked with a mask.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I don't know if it's just this thread's bias towards using Pixel's, but each page does seem like a new person posts, "so my Pixel is broken, and--"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I imagine the decreasing sales of the S line has a lot more to do with midranges across multiple brands getting good than their jump to glass backs and no more removable batteries.

What phone even has a removable battery anymore?

What are the numbers on Samsung’s A series anyway?