Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Have you tried holding the power button for ~30 seconds? This has worked for a few phones I've had that seemed bricked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'd get a OPO if it were like ~$200 but any more is a hard sell with how goofy their image has been since they emerged.

Ended up flipping my Nexus 5 and got myself the new Moto G. I returned my last one because I was sick of the constant redraws but that was due to Chrome being a piece of poo poo browser (redrew on my N5 too). Dolphin and Firefox worked pretty darn well though.

Vinlaen posted:

Oh well, thanks. I'll just flip it on Swappa for what I paid for it I guess.

In my experience if you're looking to make a few bucks, Amazon usually has people willing to spend a bit more than swappa. Swappa's N5s are going for like $250-300 but I was able to get rid of mine for close to $350. But yeah the Note 4 is a much better piece of phone.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 23, 2014

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Change your plan to a Share Everything plan. That ruling came almost 3 years ago, but they applied it instead to anything but their Share Everything plans, mostly to tackle the people who were using Unlimited plans as home internet plans.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Managed to flash a 5.0.1 rom on my 2nd gen Moto G and it is worlds better already. No loving redraws and battery life is pretty stellar.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

What memory leak? That's a Nexus 5 issue, isn't it? My Nexus 6 has over a week of uptime right now and zero issues.

It's definitely a Nexus 5 and Moto G issue with Lollipop. It's probably entirely on the software.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
BLU just announced a 5-inch phone with a 5,000mah battery. Holy poo poo.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/01/06/blu-announces-handful-new-devices-including-trio-budget-handsets-slated-get-lollipop/

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

butt dickus posted:

The Moto G gets updates, has the nice speakers, unofficial waterproofing and exceptional battery life.

I'll argue that Lollipop hasn't gone OTA for the 2nd gen but I flashed it anyways and it runs like poo poo. Not that Blu phones are any better (except the ones that do run a Snapdragon), they still have some great devices if you choose other than a Moto G.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, I'm at the point where I'd rather have a nice stable phone than BLEEDING EDGE SOFTWARE!!! It really sucked when my Moto G got an OTA to Lollilpop and I suddenly couldn't use maps and music together anymore without them kicking each other out of memory. I eventually gave up on the Moto G and bought my friends Galaxy s4 and I've been way happier even though it "only" has 4.4.

That's pretty much what I did, bought a Droid Maxx from another goon, I definitely miss using Motorola's always on voice and active notifications.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

isndl posted:

Pulled the trigger on a Moto Maxx, so now I need a wireless charging station. Recommendations? I know Tylt had a half-off sale on the Vu a while back, but I neglected to jump on it at the time.

You mean the Droid Maxx? The Tylt is the most popular among goons. I had a Nokia wireless base with my old Lumia that worked with anything else that could do it (including a Nexus 5).

Edit: Doh, forgot the Moto Maxx is the international variant of the Droid Turbo.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Samsung announced the Note 2 (which is almost 2.5 years old albeit a flagship) is getting Lollipop. Say what you will about "timely updates" but the game is a lot different now than even just a year ago. Everybody is starting to get their head in the game on being close with updates. Lollipop has only been available for 2 months (not including developer preview) so we are just in the infancy of Android's largest update with some pretty major bugs on Google's own device.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I have five devices on the latest version of Android, all working perfectly.

Congrats that your devices are luckily working well, it's just tons of other people are having the same issues across several devices. My Nexus 5 and 2nd gen Moto G are terrible phones now and I wish I would have left them on 4.4

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

5436 posted:

Wait till you get to quick charging, its next level poo poo. My Note 4 charges so fast I don't even really need to wireless charge.

If it's any consolations, the Blackberry blade chargers are awesome for just about any phone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

TraderStav posted:

"my dick" pics

or

my "dick pics"

This is important.

:golfclap: This is my favorite post

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

Also, as far as batteries go, "shut down phone, swap battery, power back up, full charge in less than 30 seconds" will never be less convenient than "plug phone into external battery, wait three hours"

Or just get a Blackberry blade charger and call it good within an hour or so. I'd really like to swap my battery but my Droid Maxx can make it pretty drat long.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Phone posted:

Anybody have a fix for an unreliable Nexus 5 power button that sticks? I would throw it into the nearest ravine, but it keeps on shutting down before I can load up Maps.

Smack it with your palm. I had the same issue happen but hitting it swiftly on it's side worked really well. It's a pretty common problem.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Holy poo poo shut up about Touchwiz. Some people don't mind using it, others do. Case closed.

Has anyone used any of the Meizu or Huawei phones? I've seen their names and a few others pop up most frequently in my glances over various blog sites, the MX4 looks pretty darn good but I'm curious how their support is.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

kensei posted:

...are you shopping for a new phone already?

No way, the Maxx you sold me is basically what I've been wanting without knowing. But I do like to keep my eye on new gadgets much like Thermopyle and hotsauce and occasionally I'll try out ridiculous ones, like the Doogee.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Android Thread - ...are you shopping for a new phone already?

Ahahahahahaha

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
:bravo:

You're all a bunch of loving spergs who don't understand subjectivity.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Additionally, Tapet is a nice Material theme app that spits out randomly generated wallpapers.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Supposedly there is a 2nd gen Moto G coming with LTE but nothing official yet. It's a fantastic phone for the price, not really much comes close to it unless you want unreliable Chinese phones. Or you can grab an S4 or M7 for right around $200 USD now too.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

teagone posted:

Finally getting the OTA 5.0 update on my Moto G 2014. Lol, Android/carriers suck at rolling these updates out.

Don't accept it, it runs like poo poo. Still kinda cool though all the changes it made.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Shannow posted:

Holding off on updating till Xposed works on ART, I have too many rooted bells and whistles I'd miss, the notification popping up constantly is pissing me off though.

It may be a long time if ever. Whoever develops Xposed said it operates completely differently from Dalvik

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

teagone posted:

Welp. I don't really want to have to install a launcher just to get my home screen to rotate. I'll deal. At least my Moto G finally has 5.0.2 :neckbeard:

What's wrong with just using Nova? It's simple to do and looks pretty close to stock.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The S4 Mini is basically a Galaxy S3 in a smaller package so you're looking at a phone that was great in 2012 but terrible now. Get a Moto G or a Droid Mini or something.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Vagrancy posted:

I'm the ROM who stocks.

Please tell me they're just going to make a basic flip phone and stay out of the Android community

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Isn't OPO literally the guys who were developing Cyanogenmod in the first place?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
If that means making a Lumia with Android on it, count me in.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Even if it did, it would mean a forked version of android cutoff from google services.

Right, but I don't believe it would be nearly as closed off like the Kindles are. I mean I know Amazon is a huge entity, but their ecosystem is pretty darn terrible outside of the bookstore.

bull3964 posted:

LG went on record that they have no issues with overheating using the 810. It may have just been a dig at Samsung, but who knows.

They just admitted today they did have issues but have been fixed.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The downside to being on Cricket v:shobon:v

Numbers get recycled no matter who you use as a provider. Sprint gave me a number that had a parole officer calling me weekly. Net10 gave me one who had a bunch of debt collectors.

I dropped my first phone and the top of the screen has a hairline crack. I feel like my phone is tainted now. Really should just order a tpu case and tempered glass whenever I get a new phone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

Yes, you should.

To be fair it was the first phone I've dropped out of like 25 I've owned and I was rushing to go see my new nephew. I did have a case and glass on my iPhone 5 but really only to change how it felt.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Haha that's a pretty big mic drop considering the Moto phones don't have Lollipop yet. Verizon is picking up their game it seems on the update side.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

TheQat posted:

Already DLed and installed here. Working fine so far. Takes up an extra 1.2GB though--any non-root way to clean up after stuff like this?

Wouldn't hurt to just factory reset the phone and start fresh.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone else use a Nokia wireless base and it causes your phone to get really hot? It's super convenient to use with my Droid Maxx but it doesn't charge that quickly and the phone gets very warm to the touch.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

cyberia posted:

I've got a Nexus 4 that is just about at the end of its useful lifespan. Since updating to Lollipop it's super slow and laggy and barely has enough memory space for the apps I use so I figure I should update. I'd like to get something roughly the same size (4.7" screen) so I can keep it in my pocket and preferably as close to a pure Android OS as possible. A good camera and decent storage size (or the option to stick an SD card in to increase storage) wouldn't go astray either.

So with those criteria what are the current best phones on the market? Is the Nexus 5 any good or is there something better out there?

Xperia Z3 or Z3 Compact. Pretty much the best I'm class under 5 inches

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
drat autocorrect.

The Nexus 5 while being a good jump from the N4 has terrible battery life. The new Moto X is also an excellent device but again not that great in terms of battery life. Not to dissuade you from going those routes because honestly they're great phones outside of the poor battery. The Xperia devices are run by magic and the compact is one of the longest lasting devices atm.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Does anyone else have an Air Dock? I got one from a fellow goon and was really looking forward to it but honestly I'm quite disappointed with it. I don't have room on my dash and it's illegal in MN to have anything on the windshield and it seems so far aways anyways so I got myself the CD slot mount. Well that broke after 5 minutes because of the weight of the charger and phone. Not too happy with it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

dissss posted:

As a total aside this is definitely the worst screen burn I've seen:

Display Galaxy S5. You'd think Samsung would have noticed by now and designed a demo reel that avoids this from happening.

Hey I used to set those up at Best Buy stores! There totally was a demo video installed on our devices to avoid burn in, and it worked so well that it pretty much interfered with customers using them because it enabled after 5 seconds if you didn't use it!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So if anybody is looking for a phone with good battery life but doesn't want to break the bank, the ridiculous Blu Studio Energy is $150 on amazon. 5000mah battery in a 5" phone, but runs an older Mediatek cpu. Still, not a bad phone if you're in need of something cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The lollipop memory bugs absolutely affected the 2014 Moto G. It took Motorola two additional more lollipop updates to fix that.

Seconding this, my 2014 was a pile of poo poo with Lollipop just like the Nexus 5 was so I upgraded to a working phone with 4.4 on it haha