Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My iPhone 5s has finally given up the ghost so it's time to start using android in earnest for the first time since the Nexus S. Currently regretting buying the single sim version of this cheap moto g6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

:argh:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ola posted:

Or there's simply some error or async blunder that happened under the hood while the assistant was getting the list of timers.

Yeah my vote is race condition.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What made you switch?

I did the same recently when my iphone (5s) broke and I was too sick of apple's bullshit to buy another one, so I switched to the £120 motorola work phone I had and it's been totally fine since.

More annoying to get photos onto my laptop from it and omnifocus isn't available, but otherwise fine.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I have a motorola g6 (play) which is on Android 9. There's no official upgrade path available and security patches seemingly stopped a year ago.

The phone still works perfectly fine and there's not really anything else I need it to do, but I can't in good conscience keep using a phone that's a security risk, no matter how much I hate this planned obsolescence poo poo.

Some questions:
1. Is there an official or mainstream open-source option I'm missing?
2. How serious are missing security updates likely to be at this point? (in my heart I know the answer but I'll ask anyway)
3. I should probably avoid flashing some homebrew poo poo, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

LastInLine posted:

How much are you using your phone for things? Personally I wouldn't worry that much but I also rarely browse the internet on my phone. You know what you're risking which is that there would be some kind of drive-by exploit that you come across which backdoors the device. Maybe my imagination is poor but really I think every one of us knows someone with a budget phone that's never had a security update that's five Android versions out of date and they're mostly fine.

I think you probably know what risks you're taking and whether it's worth it to you to buy a new phone to alleviate them. I have to imagine since you bought a cheap phone to begin with that it's not worth getting rid of something that otherwise works fine to you but since you're aware of how it might not be the best idea you'll probably want to stick with a vendor guaranteeing such updates in the future.

I originally bought as a company phone, because I was on an iphone for personal use and needed something literally for phone calls and emails. I then broke my iphone and switched to the android sort-of temporarily, but found it was just fine for what I needed.

While I don't do much web browsing on it, I have personal and company banking on there now, so, yeah, I should probably get a new one. I had no idea that long term updates was a feature I should be looking for.

LastInLine posted:

As for your options, Here's where to begin your search. I honestly don't know what it's like out there these days and in fact you might be in a situation where there's nothing you can do.

Yeah I've had a look through there, that's where the homebrew-lookin' stuff is. I'll get something new and relegate this to a backup. Thanks for the advice, I'll go post in the phone rec thread.