Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Fajita Fiesta posted:

Just received a galaxy note 4 and I already hate Samsung bloatware, I thought Sony was bad but goddamn. Apparently I can't get rid of the GIGANTIC 's finder' and 'quick connect' buttons that are permanently lodged in my notification tray without rooting the loving phone.

I've got an Xperia Z3C and the additions are fairly mild. What have you found so bad, bloatware-wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Kaluza-Klein posted:

- How different is the Sony android from stock?

I'm trying to determine how annoyed I will be that I may have to stick with the stock rom!

Also, has anyone regretted getting the Compact instead of the regular or vice versa? If so, why?

Sony's UI isn't much different than the regular stock Android UI. There are some minor colour changes and UX differences here and there and a few apps that are fairly superfluous, but nothing slows the phone down. I had used a Moto G for several months before this. The Sony default launcher is a bit laggy, but I've been using Nova and it's lighting fast.

I initially got the Z3 and kept it for 2 weeks before swapping it for a Z3 Compact. The Z3 was a beautifully-made phone and performed like a dream, but for one-handed use, it was just too unwieldy for me . I almost dropped it a few times and I rarely drop my phones.

The Z3 Compact is basically the perfect balance, to me, of size and performance. I've noticed no difference in 2GB RAM vs the 3GB in the regular Z3. The screen isn't just as sharp on the Compact obviously, but the comfort in my hand is enough compensation.

I love this little guy. Best phone I've owned.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Any Z3C owners having issues with their flap covering the SD Card / USB? Out of nowhere mine is now springing open and the memory card ejecting when I pull it out of my pocket or gently drop it on a surface. I'm not being rough with it, regular movement/use and such. I had a feeling that this flap would be an issue at some point, just doesn't seem like something that would stay solid.

No problems with me here, though I have a magnetic charging cable and I think I've opened the memory card slot once.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

When Sony ships Lollipop for the Z3 and Z3 Compact, are they likely to fix some of the problems in 5.0? I doubt they'd push out 5.0.2 in the first instance.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 1, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Was Lollipop not supposed to bring good improvements in battery life?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is there any way to flash the stock Lollipop ROM onto my Xperia Z3 Compact when it's released by Sony? Or am I doomed to spend 2 years with Vodafone's iteration?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

I've had my phone since last September and it is spotless. I will reiterate that it is the most slippery phone ever manufactured.

Is the M9 less slippy?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The Sony Xperia Z3 hasn't even got 5.0.x yet. I love my Z3 Compact but Sony needs to get a loving move on with the update.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I upgraded my friend's 2013 Moto G to 5.0.2 last night. On the lock screen, the gesture to swipe left has the phone icon, the icon to the right is for the camera. The issue is that it works in reverse. If you swipe to the camera icon, the dialler starts up and vice versa.

WTF? :shrug:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Guillermus posted:

Is not swiping to the left to get the phone, swiping to the left "pulls" the camera. Is basically the opposite to what you're used to do. Add it to the whole Lollipop trolling.

That's really intuitive :wtc:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Optimus Subprime posted:

To the Sony Z3/Z3C owners, it looks like we are finally going to start seeing lollipop rolling out to our devices this week depending on region. Hopefully the build is decent.
http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2015/03/16/starting-our-android-5-0-lollipop-rollout-xperia-z3-xperia-z3-compact/

Only took them 4 months. This has been my only disappointment with the Z3 Compact, it's a great device. Anyone got any idea how long Vodafone UK take to push Android updates in general?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I managed to flash Lollipop onto my Xperia Z3 Compact this morning using an image from the Baltics. Apart from pooing myself because I've never done that outside of a Nexus 7, it's running fine. Would anyone with a Z3C like to know anything about 5.0.2 running on it?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

TraderStav posted:

I want to hear how it performs over the next few days. How is Sony's lollipop implementation?

e: Also, how is the lockscreen?

Been using it fairly heavily during the day and battery life seems about the same as on Kit Kat.

Sony's Lollipop implementation is akin to their Kit Kat implementation, in that they've changed some colours of the UI here and there, but it's very similar to stock. LED light works as normal (others have had issues with that with Lollipop on other devices) and the lockscreen seems to work as it does in stock.

System performance feels pretty much unchanged next to 4.4.4 so far as I can tell after about 8 hours use. I did have a heart attack when flashing the phone because it took about 15 minutes to boot and I was sure I'd bricked it. Reboots seem a bit faster than with 4.4.4.

Poor trip report I know. Is there anything more specific you'd like me to keep an eye on over the next few days?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

MarsellusWallace posted:

Can you install apps to the SD card? Or, better yet, do in-app 'store media on SD card' functions now work? It'd be pretty amazing to store podcasts with PocketCasts and pre-cache Spotify without constantly running out of memory.

Other than that, does changing the volume work? On the nexus 7(2013) lollipop the volume buttons seem to exclusively change the wrong type of volume (notification, alarms, media).

You can indeed install certain apps to the SD card - I take it Android removed that feature a while ago? I had to do this all the time in 2010 when my HTC Desire ran out of internal memory (512MB).

Also, some apps let you store their media on the SD card:

This is obviously enabled on a per-app basis, but it works for Nokia Here Maps at any rate. I'm afraid I don't have PocketCasts to try it out for you.

Volume change works as expected: the buttons change the volume of whatever is playing at that specific moment, and you can adjust them independently in Settings anyway:

I don't think my Nexus 7 gives me any problems with volume adjustments on 5.0.2.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I upgraded my friend's 1st gen Moto G to Lollipop a few weeks ago and he's done nothing but moan ever since. I don't think he likes the keyboard or something.

It was a pay as you go handset without carrier branding. Is there a way I ca flash 4.4.4 back onto it?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Tunga posted:

You can set the keyboard back to the old Holo theme in the Keyboard settings (long press comma).

My sister also went apeshit over this change because who knows.

Oh I told him how to do that, he's very non-specific about what he doesn't like other than some of the UI is "different". Can 4.4.4 be obtained from somewhere and flashed onto the device? He's doing my loving head in :smithicide:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

nimper posted:

Do not go down this road with your friend.

Tunga posted:

Your friend doesn't dislike Lollipop, he dislikes any kind of change. I know because my sister is the same. Just tell him to deal with it.

You're preaching to the converted here, people. He's a nightmare but I want to be able to flash 4.4.4 back onto his device so he can sleep at night. Is it possible? You don't know what it's like!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

NonzeroCircle posted:

Just upgraded to an Xperia Z3 Compact a couple of days ago, at the moment it's on 4.4- is upgrading to Lollipop gonna irrevocably gently caress it up like the upgrade to 4.2 did on my previous Xperia T?
If it makes a difference I'm using Nova launcher instead of the Sony one.

I manually updated mine a few weeks back, wiping all partitions instead of doing an over-the-top upgrade, so now I've got an unlocked handset instead of Vodafone UK locked.

Lollipop is quite close to Kit Kat performance-wise. I'm using Nova Launcher here too and have no problems. Battery seems same or marginally shorter during use, but it idle it's unchanged and I'm still getting 5 hours screen time taking me to just under 40%.

Anything in particular you want to know about Lollipop on it?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Got an update to my unlocked Sony Xperia Z3 Compact today - it's just a firmware upgrade, but it adds a remove all button on the app switcher which is quite nice. Haven't noticed any other changes though. Now on build number 23.1.A.1.28 (Android 5.0.2).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

vyst posted:

Just got the galaxy s6 edge. Holy poo poo this is way better than the galaxy s5.

What do you find to be so much better?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

vyst posted:

Things I already like better:

The ability to double press the home key to access the camera
The fingerprint scanner is like the iphone one now and you just have to put your finger over it
The camera lets you adjust the flash without having to drop down the settings menu
Touchwiz is far more cleaner (less samsung app bullshit)

Things that are neat but i won't use much:
The People Edge thing on the side of the phone - because it doesn't support 3rd party SMS/email apps.

Does Touchwiz feel faster this time around compared with the S5? UI lag is something my lizard brain really notices, and Touchwiz has been awful for this historically. Useless apps don't bother me so much since I usually just throw them in a folder or hide them.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Anyone in the UK who likes the look of a Moto X 2014 can get a 16GB model from Moto Maker for £229 including VAT and shipping until 30th June.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

datajosh posted:

The Nexus 6 has better battery life than the S6 but if you're sick of the Note 3's size, it's a bigger phone than that. If you can deal with the size, it's a great phone. If not, the best option would probably be to wait. The Note 5, new Moto X, and new Nexus aren't that far off. I can't really recommend the S6 to anyone right now - the performance and battery life leave much to be desired (thanks Samsung!). If there was a GPE edition, I have a feeling it would do much better in both areas.

What performance problems have you encountered?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Unbranded Sony Xperia Z3/Compact is starting to receive 5.1.1. I'd flashed my Vodafone UK Compact for Lollipop and got 5.1.1 today through the Sony PC Companion app, not via an OTT update.

I won't factory reset it just yet, I want to see how it performs - 5.0.2 had a fair few redraws and apps getting kicked out of memory (but not the task viewer). I have, however, cleared the cache partition (I think - held down power and volume up).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Reporting back with an update on 5.1.1 on the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact - so far so good. Some stuff that was problematic on 5.0.2 has been resolved, mainly some sluggishness with stuff like bringing up the dialler. It's not kicking things out of memory so quickly either - normally if I used Awful a few apps ago, if I brought it up in task switcher, it would reload the thread I was in. Same for pretty much any app, including Chrome.

The new volume controls are a nice convenience but it's the performance improvement that I'm most impressed by, rather than any new feature.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

TraderStav posted:

My real test will be two commutes with navigation and music going simultaneously. If the random pauses continue I fear I am going to have you break ties with this amazing phone. It's so frustrating that everything rocks except this fatal flaw.

edit: Finally got to a desktop and Sony bridge is saying that my software is up to date. Is there a way to manually install 5.1 or do I have to continue to be impatient?

There are online guides to flash the ROM yourself if you're comfortable doing that sort of thing, with the caveat that you could brick your phone. I flashed the 5.0.2 ROM a few months ago because I didn't want to wait ages for Vodafone UK to push the update. Scared the shite out of me but I didn't really have an idea of what I was doing, but it eventually went well in the end.

I take it your phone is carrier-branded in terms of the software?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

TraderStav posted:

No, its a UK unlocked version that hotsauce picked up on day one. Would that wipe all my data? If so, I may just wait for OTA

I can't remember if there's a way to install the ROM without wiping the phone completely, but that's how I did it - check out some of the guides. Most settings are backed up to the cloud, and you can back up your files.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hope I'm not making GBS threads up the thread here, but Amazon is selling the Samsung Galaxy S6 32GB black for £364.99, which isn't bad at all really.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

beedeebee posted:

I did a factory reset of my Moto G and I was pleasantly surprised how smooth everything went. It auto-downloaded like all of my stuff and I only had to re-organise my apps etc. Didn't really expect that.

Is there any word on 5.1.1 for the first gen Moto G? The memory issues are really apparent on it, even after a factory restore.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Nope, doesn't matter the media player, even YouTube does it but I have made sure to check the setting. I listen to Bluetooth 98% of the time so it's not a bad cable. I did test runs with an aux cable and it still repeated it. I have not tried with the speaker but I anticipate similar results. :/

Have you tried clearing the cache partition and a factory reset?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Has anyone got a trip report of the Galaxy S6 4 months in? My dad is considering getting one when he's due an upgrade at the end of September. He is currently on the 5S, and is ready for a change. Main thing he'll be looking for is nice smooth performance and better battery life.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

nimper posted:

New iPhones will be out in September, mind.

Does he really want to switch to Android? Do you really want to support his switch to Android?

He really wants a change - he's been using iPhone since it came out, and had an HTC desire in 2010 which he liked. And by "support his switch", what do you mean?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Moey posted:

Little late, but been using one since launch. No issues or slowdowns yet. The physical build quality is great.

I do itch for a nexus device sometimes, but that has nothing to do with the Samsung experience, just my own inner nerd.

How's the battery life? My dad would be coming from an iPhone 5S and the power falls like a rock. Did you ever use previous Samsung phones? A work colleague has an S3 and I couldn't believe how sluggish it was. As in a 5+ second delay when switching between apps.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

tater_salad posted:

so I finally stepped from a phone that was 2 generations old (note 2) to a newer phone that will soon be 1 generation old (Note edge).
With it came Android 5.1.1

I have 1 major issue (More of a peeve) that i'm trying to find an answer / solution to. The calendar widget is lacking my favorite option.
I really enjoyed the sizable / small calendar widget that was in 4.4.1 (Calendar 2x3), now my choices are a huge rear end monthly calendar, or a today.. I can't see what's going on for the next week.

Try Event Flow Calendar Widget, it's quite nice.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Sooo, any word on 5.1 for 1st gen Moto G?

I asked this about a week ago. 5.0.2 is redrawing like hell.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Unbranded Moto G 1st gen in UK checked out OK.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

When did Android phones really start getting good? I had an HTC Desire in 2010 that I loved but it's generally still considered a dark time for smartphones.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Would a Samsung Galaxy S6 wither either O2 UK or Vodafone UK firmware be flashable with an unbranded S6 ROM?

I was able to flash unbranded Sony firmware onto my Xperia Z3 Compact and I'm wondering if something similar is possible with any tools. I'm not looking a custom ROM or root or anything, just the default Samsung S6 ROM without any carrier crap.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

If Sony weren't so slow in releasing software updates for their handsets, I'd recommend them. I love my Xperia Z3 Compact - it's got relatively few additions on top of stock Android and it runs really well. For unbranded Z3 devices though, they just started receiving Android 5.1.1 last month.

I don' t know if Sony spent the interim addressing any performance problems or whatever with 5.1.1. Certainly. 5.0.2, which Sony released around April time as its first public Lollipop build, eventually suffered from bad redraws on the home screen and would kick apps out of RAM quicker than you can say boohoo.

On 5.1.1, though, the Z3 Compact is absolute buttery joy to use. There's no stutter anywhere in the interface that I've come across, I haven't had any redraws, and more apps are kept in memory for longer. There's another goon in the thread that's had Bluetooth audio issues with the Z3 Compact. I suppose that's the thing with Android phones, there's usually something that prevents it from being nigh-on perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Pilsner posted:

Facebook Messenger just totally kills a phone or something? Now that I think of it, I started using FB Messenger about 2 months ago, and it coincides fairly well with how I feel it has been sluggish lately. :/

You're best just using the Facebook website if you need it. The apps are the source of a fair few performance and battery issues people encounter.