Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Any recommendations/thread favorites for launchers to replace the godawful hideous shitheap that comes with Samsungs these days?
Been on Android for 10 years (mostly Nexus/Pixels), and decided to try an iPhone in February. Realized my mistake and got an S20+ yesterday but man, this UI makes iOS look innovative and fresh.

edit: here's where I posted asking for help in the iPhone thread right after I started to have regrets, if you want a laugh.

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I gave up on alternate launchers until gestures are supported.

I never used gestures on my last Android (Pixel 2 XL) - which gestures do you use?

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Spent a good chunk of this morning playing with the camera in my S20+, test results posted on Catface Catplace if you're into that sort of thing.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Odd question:

I have a Samsung S20+ and I loving hate it (mostly due to the goddamned Samsung-y software). Back in the day when I had a phone with a horseshit UI I'd just put another ROM on there - but as I've had a few Pixels it's been a long time since I've gone looking - it seems like that scene doesn't seem to be as big any longer.

Or am I just looking in the wrong spots (XDA-Developers etc)?

edit: clarity - I have found some ROMs on XDA-DEV, just kinda surprising to see Cyanogenmod (now Lineage?) not supporting newer Samsungs and the like, and all sorts of features failing to work properly

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 28, 2021

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Uthor posted:

What are you looking to un-Samsung-ify? I've "fixed" some cheap tablets by running Nova and getting the UI like 80% of the way there.

It's hard to really quantify - it's like a feel to the device. There's just so much "stuff" crammed in everywhere, and constantly trying to help or "value-add". It's an awful, cluttered, busy interface just about everywhere from the notification drawer to the launcher (obviously not using the default launcher any longer though) to the built-in apps (weather, Samsung Pay) which are ad supported. And I bought this phone outright and unlocked and not from a carrier, so the ad supported apps especially disgusted me.

I think the most annoying example of this is this popup (which can't be disabled):

See - I intentionally turned the HDR off because with it on, my pictures look like I ate a pound of gummibears and shotgunned a gallon of Sprite with an Ipecac chaser. But I do love being told I'm wrong every time I try to take a photo!

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 29, 2021

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

LastInLine posted:

While the tip is useful, sarcastx is correct about the software design philosophy that Samsung employs. Cramming in useless features of dubious quality leads to a cluttered interface and endless options that fatigue the user. You know what's a lot better than pages of options and toggles to tweak the behavior and appearance of every little thing? A well-designed interface with sensible defaults that works well in most situations for most people.

The perfect example of that is exactly this exchange, where sarcastx says a default annoyance can't be disabled and you point out that it can be disabled. The reason for not knowing it could be disabled is that the interface is too cluttered with ambiguous options of dubious utility and the reason it's annoying is that the default setting is such that it bothers the user without a clear indication of how to make it stop. That design philosophy pervades every part of Samsung's software.

From ages ago, but It's this. There are so many infuriating annoyances that I'd go insane trying to pin them all down even if they could be disabled.

Here's a great "feature" - the Share interface. Say there's an image from the Simpsons Memes thread I want to text to my buddy (we text dumb poo poo back & forth several times a week).

Let's go through the options row-by-row.
First row: Nearby Share. No idea what this is; guessing a lovely AirDrop clone? Literally useless, moving on.
Second row: Seemingly randomly selected Outlook and Signal contacts. I work for a company with almost 100,000 people - and while one of these contacts is a person I have emailed - not in the past 6 months. The other is a shared mailbox that I manage. I haven't used Signal for a month - one of the two Signal contacts selected I've literally never messaged.
Third row: Quick Share: What the gently caress is this? Gmail: Gmail. And two Messenger options.

Not a single text option on screen; of the options presented, only two (Gmail and one of the Messenger options) are useful.

Oh; and also: Disabling Scene Optimizer & Shot Suggestions does nothing to disable the HDR nag.

edit: Decided to see what Quick Share was; I assumed it would be some other different share interface that maybe was a bit more intelligent. Nope! It's a different lovely AirDrop clone! why are two of the options lovely AirDrop clones and none of them are text message?

also before anyone mentions that I can swipe up for more options in the share interface; yeah, I know this; my point is that the default options presented take up almost the whole screen and are basically redundant useless trash (aka Samsung)

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 16, 2021

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Fwiw the absolutely useless share suggestions is a general android thing. There is also 2 different share interfaces on my pixel depending on the app you use :yeah:

I just whipped out my old Pixel 2 XL and tried the Share interface to see how vanilla Android handles this.
• The first suggestion was my buddy who I text all the time; the guy I wanted to share the Simpsons meme with
• The second suggestion was Messages
• Gmail returned as a plausible option
• The rest of the options were pretty useless

So while I kinda agree that the vanilla Share option had a lot of useless options when I tried it, it was much better than Samsung because:
• it presented the correct option (text a specific contact) as the first option, and the second and third options were still reasonable
• Neither Messenger nor Signal is installed on this phone - if they were I'm sure they'd have been offered
• the Share interface only took up the bottom 1/4 of the screen instead of almost all of it; and none of the options were redundant to other options (unlike Nearby Share and Quick Share).

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

My car's been in the shop for a few days; I've got a newer loaner in the meantime. Bigger screen, different software - but the physical controls are in the same location. You get the idea.

So I'm driving downtown with Mrs. Sarcastx in the vehicle and her phone rings. As she's answering she's struggling to turn the radio off. Instinctively I reach over and press the power button to turn the radio off - but the radio is still going. I press the power button like four times - still no change. Finally I take my eyes off the road and look at the screen - it's asking "Power: Screen Off | Audio Off", and I have to use the trackpad to select which type of "off" I want and press it to confirm.

This is how Samsung would design a car stereo.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

(S20+) Anyone got any recommendations to fix Smart Lock? It used to work great at home (using the "Trusted Place" setup) but it's absolutely and completely ceased to function at all - if my screen goes off, my device is immediately locked requiring fingerprint - which is just lovely because the ultrasonic fingerprint recognition has always sucked on this phone.

I've verified my home location is correct, I've added another location by dropping the pin - all of it seems to have no effect.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I haven't seen any decent leather cases yet for the 6 Pro; I'm specifically looking for something like the case I had for my brief dalliance with iPhones (a snap-on shell style, not one of those wallet things). Anyone seen anything like that, other than the one that was on the Google store that had already "sold out" the moment the phones went live?

e: something like this

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

genuinely awful UI in this update imo, no idea what they were thinking

it's been all downhill since material design

I'm a tiny bit nervous about this too as I pre-ordered the P6Pro so I can finally turn my back on Samsung's hideous TouchWiz/OneUI trash design forever - but to me the most egregious UI features in Android 12 are things that can be easily disabled/hidden (like the revolting clock widget that's so ugly and embarrassing I can't believe they're parading it as a feature).

At the very least I'm certain I won't get Geico ads loading the Weather app or be told I'm taking photos wrong. gently caress Samsung.

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 21, 2021

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Duo 2 reviews are out and the general feel seems to be that they made a ton of really good individual competent updates but the overall product is worse.

microsoft dot txt

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I always wonder why hardly anyone talks about call quality on the earpiece anymore :(

because the only people who make calls these days have been trying to reach you about your vehicle's warranty

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Got my 6 Pro at lunchtime. The fingerprint sensor is 100x better than it is on my despised Galaxy 20+ (but not as good as the one on the back of the Pixel 2 I used to own)

I like the camera.

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 26, 2021

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

sarcastx posted:

I like the camera.

lol you can make some pretty messed up poo poo with the magic eraser

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I gotta tell y'all I must be traumatized from the fingerprint sensor in my S20+ because the sensor in my 6 Pro is substantially faster and more accurate as far as I can tell. I do agree the brightness is annoying though.

IIRC the S20+ was a first-gen in-screen ultrasonic fingerprint sensor so I can forgive it for being a bit poo poo, but I do miss the rear-of-phone sensor on my Pixel 2 XL - the scrolling feature/swipe down for notifications gesture was a great highlight.

Speaking of Pixel 2 features I suppose the "squeeze" thing was more gimmick than utility, no?

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Odd question here.

I use Smart Lock but from time to time I do want to actually lock the phone (just fingerprint, not PIN aka Lockdown). Doesn't seem like that's possible now?
On my P2XL I would wake the screen and tap the "unlocked" padlock symbol which then would lock the phone - if I do that now it brings me to the Home screen.

The most common reason I want to do this is if I'm in line at a checkout, about to use Google Pay. After X minutes (don't know) if I tap to pay, GPay will initially deny the transaction to make me press fingerprint and try it again. Of course, this upsets the card reader, which sends a message back to the cashier, who has to tap something to make it charge again, it becomes a whole *thing* that discourages me from using tap-to-pay because I'm that rear end in a top hat holding up the line while I try to be fancy with my pretty phone toy.

Time was I could prevent that by locking the phone while my groceries are being scanned, then unlock via fingerprint, then tap and it'd work perfectly.

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 31, 2021

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

sarcastx posted:

I haven't seen any decent leather cases yet for the 6 Pro; I'm specifically looking for something like the case I had for my brief dalliance with iPhones (a snap-on shell style, not one of those wallet things). Anyone seen anything like that, other than the one that was on the Google store that had already "sold out" the moment the phones went live?

e: something like this

I found (and ordered) this Bellroy case.

Hasn't shipped yet but I'll post when it arrives.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Just hit the power button to lock it then use the fingerprint scanner to unlock

The problem is that Smart Lock disables this functionality; pressing the power button just turns the screen off:

This is the desired functionality 99.9% of the time, but I still want to be able to lock the phone manually without going to Lockdown

edit: screenshot

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 31, 2021

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

starting to think I might be the only person using Smart Lock and Google Pay lol

ok re-asking the question for simplicity since it seems to be confusing a few folks:

Configuration:
Pixel 6 Pro. Smart Lock enabled. Fingerprint security. Press+Hold power button brings up power menu.

Situation:
Pressing the power button in this configuration turns the screen off, does not lock the phone.
Prior method of manually locking phone to require fingerprint (touch padlock icon) no longer applies any type of lock.

Desire:
Ability to lock phone on-demand. A regular lock, the type you can unlock via fingerprint. Not lockdown (this is why I mentioned "not lockdown" in both the posts on this topic).

Unfortunately, not a solution:
"Just pressing the power button": Smart lock is on; as a result the power button just turns the screen off.
"Disable press and hold for Assistant, then press Lockdown": I do not want to use lockdown.

It is likely that what I want is impossible thanks to Google's design changes! If that's the case I'll have to deal with it.

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 31, 2021

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

grack posted:

Thank god we have a catte pic, now we can truly evaluate how good the cameras are.

I forgot to explain this photo:
Miss Malory is my new cellphone camera test subject.

iPhone 11 Pro, full auto, 1x zoom

Good focus, good lighting balance (I think), but maybe just a tinge overexposed.

Samsung Galaxy S20+, full auto, Auto HDR, scene optimizer ON,1x zoom

Absolutely ridiculous HDR color saturation & exposure.

Samsung Galaxy S20+, full auto, Auto HDR OFF, scene optimizer ON, 1x zoom

Still oversaturated, but better

Samsung Galaxy S20+, full auto, Auto HDR OFF, scene optimizer OFF, 1x zoom

This is the first photo I took with the Samsung that actually looks right; note that there's some "caramel" tones to her fur in the earlier photos that are pretty much gone here. This is a gray cat.

Samsung Galaxy S20+, full auto in PRO mode + RAW, 1x zoom

This is ultimately how I got the best results out of the Samsung; of course, after you left the camera it'd default back to chump mode after a day or two and nag you to enable Auto HDR.

Below are some new photos:
Pixel 6 Pro, full auto, 1x zoom:

Pixel 6 Pro, Portrait Mode, 2x zoom:

Interesting how much darker she is here.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

i enjoy cellular telephone

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

for content purposes I will add this:

I got into a situation this week where I was in a car running Google Maps navigation (not the driver) and wanted to take a photo without exiting navigation. Didn't think this would be an issue - but opening Camera caused it to immediately crash, and as I kept trying it would sometimes crash both the Camera and Google Maps. Phone is a Pixel 6 Pro (which sounds as hollow as an empty VHS case if you tap on the awful awful fingerprint sensor like you're trying to break glass in case of emergency)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Any way to stop the screen on my Pixel 6 Pro from seemingly waking for loving nothing?

I'll have the phone sitting on my desk, black screen, and then it flips on for (????????). I'm guessing maybe there was an update to the Weather widget or something idiotic like that but it's profoundly distracting.

For clarity this is still the white-on-black (i.e. shows time & notification icon but not the normal display with wallpaper and full notifications stuff).