Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is the N6 still the go-to phone when looking to buy off-contract?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Yes if you can afford it.

Affordability isn't so much the question as whether or not that $700 or so is best spent, phone-wise, on the N6 at this point in time. Curent phone is an N5 and while it's probably lollipop issues, it's starting to show its age.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nimper posted:

Didn't know that!

:eyepop: I remember seeing this in all those "first look" videos and being like "huh, what a great idea" and yep, it is pretty awesome. Shame you missed out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They don't know pain. The shitstorm that was the US Galaxy S variants saw them not being updated with Froyo until drat near the release date of Gingerbread.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Eej posted:

I wasn't aware it was kosher to start downloading apps and signing into your Google account to do actual phone stuff on demo units.

I wasn't aware touchwhiz required any of that in order to identified as garbage.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Reverse Centaur posted:

Plus complaining about lollipop even though it's by far the best version of Android yet.

It's the Vista between XP and 7.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Ugh I meant Honeycomb was Vista. I'm not good at posting.

Honeycomb is some wack-rear end hardware-specific version. Like the Windows CE that the Dreamcast used.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

100% correct.

More like 400% correct. Uninstall Facebook Messenger and suddenly things are OK. The memory leak is still present but I only get launcher redraw when I do poo poo like go to a webpage that's full of flash poo poo and background music and embedded video.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

In fairness the facebook app is fine, the facebook messenger app is poo poo garbage.

How many times does this need to be some mindblowing epiphany for people before it goes in the thread title

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

Until there aren't people like me, I guess. I got frustrated with the Facebook app changing my feed preference (recent, dammit!), so I uninstalled it and started using the mobile site. Basically the same problems, but it's one less app to possibly run amok. On the other hand, I haven't had any problems with Messenger, but to be fair I use it maybe once a week.

It's not you so much as it not being in the OP since Messenger is a dumpster fire.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Internet Explorer posted:

God drat I feel bad for anyone still using a Galaxy Nexus.

I have three people in my family who are still using Gnexes on Ting. I've tried over and over to point out that phones like the Moto G are cheap as hell but they like Ting and don't want to switch.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Manky posted:

So is there a reason that neither my N7 or Moto G changed their clocks? I had to turn off automatic time zone and network time and flip both back manually. Barbaric.

You in Arizona?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

kitten smoothie posted:

Ting does GSM now, so that should convince them. Just buy an $8 SIM from them and you're good to go.

They do T-Mobile GSM which is, "eh" at best in my area.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

So it works here now?

It "works" in the sense that you can get a number from another market area because you can't port a 402 area code number in. I tried it with Net10 a while back and it had passable service in the civilized parts of town but once you got west of about 90th you started getting spotty, especially if you were anywhere north or south of Dodge.

That village of inbred hicks out Southwest towards like 170th is a complete dead zone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wonder if we'll soon be seeing phones that have an internal battery with something like 700 mAh, and a removable/replaceable battery with a more standard 2500 mAh that can be hotswapped. I'm not assuming they'd come from mainstream manufacturers since most people don't have that kind of use pattern, but the concept would probably have a niche with those who are on the road a lot. You'd have some kind of charger boot for the spare battery, if not a straight-up microUSB port to charge.

Basically it'd be an insertable version of a power brick, except the juice is instantly available rather than needing to trickle charge. Again, it'd make for a relatively bulky phone unless they figure out a way to compact all the extra connectors for both batteries down to a much smaller size than present. Build it in to some shenzhen special with a 1080p screen and bargain specs otherwise, sell it for $500 a pop, and you've probably got a phone purpose-made for watching animes while riding the bus to the call center or whatever.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tunga posted:

This sounds like the opposite of what you have proposed. You'd need to leave a giant battery pack connected to the phone permanently instead of the current system of just connecting an external one for an hour.

Yeah, it would be the homunculus evolutionary dead end of android phone design, brought to you by Oppo or whoever. That's what I'm getting at. Most people use their phone moderately during the day and charge it overnight, but you've got edge cases who just can't accept that sealed batteries make for higher capacity and lower costs and insist that they are sold an obese brick of a phone with a big ol' honkin' battery they can hotswap without interrupting their anime. The replaceable battery pack would be inside the phone, like a replaceable battery from the phones of yore. The difference would be that there would be another, smaller battery sealed inside to keep the phone running while the removable one got swapped out. You'd charge both in tandem, and there would be ways to charge spare swappable batteries outside of the phone. Some laptops have a similar setup, Thinkpads come to mind.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Skeezy posted:

Android 5.1 official http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/03/android-51-unwrapping-new-lollipop.html

T-Mobile already has rollout notes for the Nexus 4, 5, and the 7 (2013). They are saying rollout starts today.

Hopefully images come up tonight.

Image for N5 is already up: https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/hammerhead-lmy47d-factory-6c1ad81e.tgz

I'm toying with the idea of flashing but I prefer to keep my bootloader locked and the sheer volume of poo poo I'd have to log in to all over again is a big turnoff for an incremental.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WugLyfe posted:

OTA update .zip posted yet for N5?

no but having flashed the image like a complete nerd I can assure you it's A Good Update.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Specifically, how does it compare to a Nexus S with Jellybean?

I had a Nexus S for a little while, I was so infuriated with jellybean on it that I got a Galaxy Nexus.

On Sprint.

E: never mind, that was ICS. I was pissed about ICS being a little sluggish that I went to that gnex pile of horseshit on that boatload of cocks Sprint. Jellybean must have been worse than that Samsung Moment debacle where a routine update loving bricked the internal flash memory or some poo poo.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 10, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The flash-all.bat didn't work for me either (said boot.IMG wasn't there) so I manually flashed each part - boot loader, then radio, then boot, then system. Works just peachy.

And yes the update seems to have eradicated the memory leak.

E: yeah, just opened a bunch of news articles in chrome and hit the home button, went straight to the home screen, no redraw or goofy "hurrrr did you mean google now" fuckery.

E2: same when going through Facebook and opening a couple Verge articles about the new apple hardware. Both Chrome and the Facebook internal browser seem to be way less laggy, too.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 10, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

datajosh posted:

The entire lifespan of the Moment was a debacle (oops, were you using your mobile data? sorry about that, you have to reboot to get it back now). The only time I've paid full retail for a phone was to upgrade away from that to the HTC EVO.

I had an Epic 4G (the Sprint-branded sliding keyboard special-snowflake abomination of the Galaxy S) and got so fed up with that pile of poo poo I called Sprint and expressed my disappointment in such florid rhetoric that I was given an early upgrade. I didn't harangue the nice lady in their CS department so much as highlight how dealing with that piece of poo poo phone was "a trail of tears" and "a monumental infringement on Sprint's ability to provide the level of service to which I'd become accustomed." I used the upgrade to get an Evo 3D, because once you slam your dick in a door the first time, the next couple slams happen almost by reflex and before I knew it I was the proud owner of a Sprint Galaxy Nexus on release day.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

Haha, except for the other CDMA GNex, those are the exact same phones I had for my first three Android phones. Man, the Nexus 4 was nice when I got it!

I had an HTC Hero before the Epic, and it wasn't awful with the exception of never being updated. Oh back in the day, when updates were more about adding basic functions (apps to SD card for example) onto the fledgling Android codebase...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

67 hours of uptime on 5.1 and not a single launcher redraw or hiccup. I am seeing Pocketcasts keeping the phone awake while I am listening to it, though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WugLyfe posted:

God dammit. N5 returned to the power button issue, now goes through "optimizing apps" every time it boots up.

I'm calling it, this N5 is dead. Really didn't want to have to get another phone so early; was hoping to get the next gen :doh:

Sounds like a cache issue. Have you tried a factory reset from recovery mode?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WugLyfe posted:

Yes. This thing is toast.

Oh well. Sorry for your loss :(

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nerve posted:

i love how many wacky niche cases pop up in the android thread

be together, not the same

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Scrolling down is a thing dude.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hughmoris posted:

Good thing I'm still rocking 4.4.4 on my Nexus 4. :smug:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

There are very few use cases that are going to be long sequential reads form NAND with your phone.

If you're on the road a lot I could see the need for long, sequential reads if that's what happens when watching animes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Skarsnik posted:

How about a ~media thing~

Oh that too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Endless Mike posted:

Have you considered a flip phone might fit your needs, OP?

I think a payphone might suit him better because they don't run out of juice.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Disconnect the serpentine belt from your engine for more power to the wheels.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

butt dickus posted:

I guess I can put this here. There are two people in the US (and probably the world) with my name. The other one is an even bigger dumbass than I am. He uses my email address (firstnamelastname@gmail.com) to sign up for official stuff so on occasion I get his school poo poo or whatever idiot thing he's doing at the time. In the past I received some semi-important looking stuff that happened to have his phone number in it so I called him and got his real email address to forward it to.

He was an ungrateful moron and it's still happening every so often so I just delete the email when it happens. The other day he sent me an event invitation from his work/internship/professional dipshit account and it shows up on my calendar and I don't know how to get rid of it. I want to get rid of it. How do I get rid of it.

e: Of course immediately after making this post I figure out how to do it, but on the web interface. Perhaps I'm the dumber of the two. Is there a way to do it on my phone?

I have a similar story except it's my initials - I signed up for the outlook.com email when they re-launched it and surprisingly got my initials, three letters, @outlook.com. Some dumpy old CNA from like Nevada or something signed up for match.com using that email, someone from Thailand linked their drat Facebook to it, I get poo poo from monster.com (is this 1998? I thought they went under) for someone else, so on and so forth. Initials aren't as specific as full names but do these people not realize when they aren't getting the emails from the poo poo they signed up for? I managed to get the CNA's dating site account closed, but I don't even know where to start with some of the others. Thankfully I don't even use outlook since it didn't live up to the hype but god drat it's depressing to know people out there are that drat oblivious.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What is FAB an abbreviation for? Fast Action Button? Fat rear end Button?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Floating Action Button.

Eh close enough.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Popelmon posted:

The headphone jack on my Nexus 4 is dying :(. I will probably replace it with a Z3 compact. Or are there any other phones with a similar size I should be aware of?

Moto X

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BlackMK4 posted:

I need to use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tuneecu&hl=en
"Requires Android
4.0 and up"
What is the cheapest device I can buy used for this purpose?

Moto E

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RZA Encryption posted:

Wow, songs playing completely randomly? That's never happened to me, but if it did I'd think android was complete dogshit and switch to iOS. Why would you continue to use something that fucks up something as basic as "don't do things arbitrarily"?

I'd rather it play a song I asked for earlier out of the blue than have it suddenly switch my entire calendar to GMT rather than my local time zone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mogomra posted:

It worked surprisingly well for what it was.

Is this like "the Atari 2600 is a surprisingly capable webserver, for what it is" kind of thing? Or was it usable beyond kid-glove gimmick scenarios?

I am having trouble imagining how terrifically bad KitKat must have been on that hardware. It's like seeing XP running on some old shitbox that was built for use with 3.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gotta get all the poop off those big cheeks, wipe three times.