Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

Hey, guys! I need some advice!

You should get the Xperia Z3, or read the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Yes. In this case it's true: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/23753/20141230/google-finally-fixes-android-5-0-1-lollipop-memory-leak-issue.htm

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

Wireless charging question. Any way to have it not turn on the screen on charger? I hate putting my phone on it in bed and illuminating my entire room.

This is usually in developer options if I recall.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Daily Forecast posted:

If you seriously can't think of more than 32GB (actually even less because of the OS) of stuff to keep on your phone then what are you even doing with a phone

Streaming stuff from my 2 TB network drive and laughing at this debate.

Seriously, the cloud is there and it's pretty useful. Especially if you aren't a tech wizard.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LastInLine posted:

You're crazy and your frothing rage was uncalled for. I mean it's not like the entire UI looks to have been designed by a colorblind mentally disabled child or anything. Now excuse me while I go back to my blue and yellow messaging app.

Samsung really could have stolen some design tips while they were wholesale copying Apple...

This Moto X is real nice, I see why you guys are so big on it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Flat Daddy posted:

HTC ONE m7

Everything sucks and I regret buying this lovely phone. i put cynagoen mod on because with stock OS I pocket-dialed 911 multiple times. I used the cm official installer and my boot screen says something like "do not redistribute this HTC proprietary software, internal use only" and all the apps i use crash all the time

Congratulations, you've gotten yourself into more hours of fixing your device because you didn't read. Perhaps consult a guide or forum thread before modifying device firmware.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
This 2013 Moto X is my favorite phone I've ever owned and smarter than the newest iPhone. It's still a little tiny compared to my S3, but I'm quite fond of it

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Common sense would suggest you decline any update that came out before Google fixed the memory leak, mostly if you're on a carrier/not using a Nexus.

That's 5.0 and 5.0.1. They've been silent since updating the bug reporting page, which leads me to believe they're working with carriers for widespread deployment. That could be optimism speaking though.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Stoat posted:

Is there a thread to jerk off about cool homepage setups?

Of course! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3349818

It's a great thread for a weekend read actually, some people are very talented. The ones that aren't are treated... poorly.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

b0nes posted:

Get over it. Not all of us view the forums the same way.

... I thought everyone viewed them chronologically. Are you a Time Lord?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

The Snapdragon 810 paired with a 1080 display is an intriguing proposition.

This is why I'm strongly considering the G Flex 2.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Active Display is a godsend on my Moto X '13, I can't believe anyone turns it off.

Still haven't used touchless control, but I'm going to struggle with a device that doesn't use Active Display.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

DemonMage posted:

Actually do bring it to lollipop since it's random whether you'll get better/worse/same and lollipop is overall better if you're lucky like me and get the same battery experience. Since it's a Nexus device, it's completely trivial to downgrade back to 4.4 if you're unlucky and get poo poo battery life.

Just don't bring your 2012 to Lollipop. :negative: Such a mistake...

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

Maybe I was thinking of HTC. Which one uses Sense?

HTC. holy gently caress beaten

butt dickus posted:

I have not intentionally broken my primary communications device.

What an unnecessarily inflammatory way to answer a simple question.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

4th reboot inexplicably fixed it. :v:

I'm buying a loving iPhone.

Seriously, as an Android fan and owner since the T-Mobile G1 I'm sick of waiting for Google to get their poo poo together.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Variable_H posted:

It took you six years to get fed up?

Yeah. Android is a lot of fun, and I'm a computer nerd. But eventually you just want your loving phone to work.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
5.1 really is everything it's cracked up to be. My 2012 N7 is usable again!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Looking at the 2013 moto X, will I regret getting the 16 gig rather than 32? I've only used about 2 gigs right now, but I want to start putting music on my phone. I'm thinking that will only take up maybe 8-10 gigs, though, so I feel like I should be good with 16.

I'd go 32 personally. I found a great deal on a 16 GB model and I'm rotating music often. You can't add an SD card later, but everything else about this phone is pretty great. I'd opt for the extra storage.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Wow, watching all the new devices has been underwhelming. The M9 and G Flex 2 get stupidly hot, Samsung actually came off alright, and would I be mistaken in being tempted by the 4 GB RAM model Zenfone 2? The Intel processor could make or break it, but otherwise...

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

butt dickus posted:

The other day he sent me an event invitation from his work/internship/professional dipshit account and it shows up on my calendar and I don't know how to get rid of it. I want to get rid of it. How do I get rid of it.

e: Of course immediately after making this post I figure out how to do it, but on the web interface. Perhaps I'm the dumber of the two. Is there a way to do it on my phone?

Sharing and linking Calendar stuff is something I've never been able to accomplish on my phone. I tell people how awesome Google Calendar is and how easy and simple... then end up on their computer for five minutes.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm pretty sure the Zenfone2 is going to be my next phone. Everything looks positive so far. The UI skin is a little heavy handed, but a lot of it looks useful (things like "drawing" a "C" on the screen when it's off to automatically turn the screen on and start the camera app, for instance). For basically $50 more than a Moto G you're getting a phone that's far more powerful and appears to actually have a decent camera.

I just need to see a few more reviews covering the Intel processor before I'm all in.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Skeezy posted:

Also I realize I might be the only dude stoked about the M9 on here.

Most of us are smart enough to avoid 130° F devices and don't like burned skin?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hungry Computer posted:

The wireless charger it comes with is Power Mat, IIRC, but the S6 supports Qi as well.

I just cracked the screen on my N5, and I'm dangerously close to getting the S6 Edge to replace it. All that's holding me back is the memories of owning an S1 Captivate...

Really? I'd hold back for usage reports and full reviews, myself. But people will buy Samsung phones for dumber reasons than that.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
If you absolutely needed a device with a 2k screen, which would you get? The G3 is currently the cheapest, but I do love my upgrades and would pay for a Nexus 6...

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LastInLine posted:

You are correct if you meant to say that it cannot be locked to landscape.

Look up the app Set Orientation.

Had to use that when I was playing with Cardboard and an S3, the electromagnet is on the opposite end of the phone than newer devices.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

isndl posted:

That'd involve some actual QA testing. Nobody wants to do QA testing.

Nobody wants to pay for proper QA testing, more like. As someone literally looking for work in the field, I can tell you plenty of people want to be doing it. :v: Seattle area likely doesn't help though.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

Same goes with Nexus 10. Really glad it's made by Samsung, since they know their hardware.

Would it be stupid to go Nexus 6 + 10 in 2015? The N6 sounds like a great phone and has the 2k screen I really want, but I'm considering a Windows tablet since no dual OS options seem to have hit the States.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ruby idiot railed posted:

Lmao. Not only does the phone not sit flat, it will always wobble.

Also another snapdragon 810? Did I read that right?

The spec sheet I saw only mentioned a Qualcomm processor up to 2.5 GHz.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="444093286"]
Wasn't there some thing HTC was doing where if you buy one of their giant phones, they would give you a smaller phone you would tether to the larger phone to use when talking on the phone? Whatever happened to that?

Everyone realized we already have Bluetooth headsets and you can play on your phone while talking. HTC was just REALLY slow on the uptake.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LastInLine posted:

A carrier or OEM doing the right thing and forcing users to be on the latest software? No precedence I can think of but it's a welcome step.

http://9to5google.com/2015/04/10/nexus-5-nexus-7-bricked-android-lollipop/

Forced updates are idiotic.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

edit: wiping cache partition and reinstalling messenger seemed to fix it.

edit 2: now it works really well and smoothly. So I'm going back to not understanding the hate.

KitKat worked. Out of the box, no need to computer janitor your phone with wiping partitions and monitoring memory usage...

The features of Lollipop are great, but the OS is still half-baked.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

track day bro! posted:

I found an ebay store selling the older Motox for like 130 quid, they have to be knockoffs right?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Motorola-Moto-X-XT1058-Unlocked-Mobile-Phone-16GB-10-0MP-Camera-Black-/251605382747

No, not at all! Got mine for $140 months ago, great little device. They did an amazing job if it's a bootleg or something.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
After watching a video of the Zenfone 2 get slightly, but steadily outperformed by the Nexus 6, I'm probably upgrading to it. Anything making that a stupid plan in the next two weeks?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Captain Yossarian posted:

If you are in the US, 1) where are you getting it and 2) is it the US model or an international model.

Edit: unless you mean you are getting the Nexus 6 and in that case never mind.

The N6, sorry. That could have been more clear.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

iajanus posted:

My version's attempt at shuffle is "pick random song starting with the letter O and then just play them in order, occasionally intercutting them with a random song".

e: plays them in alphabetical order, I should say. Consistent bug, too.

I've found my phone will shuffle an album. Once. That's the new "shuffle order" I get every time then on.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

hooah posted:

In addition to the screen size, there's also the Motorola additions to consider. Read up on their Assist, Actions, Voice, and Display features; I've had my X for almost a week and I'm really liking them. However, I am also missing AdAway (ad blocker), so unless you're planning on getting the Pure edition or there's a carrier version that's easily rootable, you might want to take that into consideration.

The Nexus 6 is a Motorola device and has Active Display, as far as I know. It's modified a bit.

I'd pick based on your hand size honestly. Hold a Nexus 6. If it's uncomfortable, get the X. Moto is good with updates, but if you want the bleeding edge, lean Nexus.

Advice does not apply to the X 2015 if it has the Snapdragon 810 as rumored. Avoid that chip like the plague.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

jyrka posted:

What's a phone with good battery life? My current Moto G is simply unacceptable.

The Xperia Z3 series, or almost any bigphone. The Galaxy Note line always comes with a large battery, for reference.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
An x86 phone will eventually be able to dual boot into Windows. :getin:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Guillermus posted:

Elephone has one coming with both Android and Windows phone, the P7000 I think. I love the idea and is perfect for sperging.

That's their current flagship, and it looks pretty nice honestly. They did just announce a Lollipop/Windows 10 device, yet unnamed.

(Yeah I had to look that up, thanks for the tip! China's getting a ton of cool smartphones.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Eejit posted:

Bought a Nexus 6 instead of an S6.

About to go to the store and get mine! Keep the thread updated with your thoughts?

I am glad I've followed this thread so long, otherwise I'd probably be buying a device to flash out of the box. Back in the S3 days it was kind of cool to have that device sans Touchwiz, but today I completely agree with the general sentiment here: get a phone with an OS you like.