Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The first couple/few days you use the phone will likely result in shorter than expected battery life, since you're playing a lot with it and installing a lot of poo poo. Give it a week or two; if you're not easily getting through a day by that point, take it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So I ordered a daughter board to hopefully fix my Nexus 4's flaky microphone. Finished the swap about a half an hour ago and so far, so good. Unfortunately, it didn't cause the LED to start working again, which is strange, since that does seem to be a part of that board.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I had this same problem with an image I downloaded from the Internet on my Nexus 4.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm at my in-laws', and tried to set their place as a trusted location on my N4, but the pin is always ~500 feet off. I opened Maps up, and same thing (submitted feedback there). I tried setting the location where the pin thinks I am, but that didn't work. Any ideas?

Edit: Yeah, I don't get Gravity. I got that Shaun Sheep offer, and somehow got Transformers 3 in my library. Ugh.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

What I'd tell you to do is use a GPS app like this to ensure you have an accurate GPS lock at your position and make sure you're connected to your in-laws' wifi network. You do have wifi scanning enabled and fine location data turned on, correct?

I've been able to get a pretty good lock just fine previously, and I do have those settings enabled. That GPS app says I'm at [some degrees 1], 54.084 minutes N, [some degrees 2], 54.351 minutes W, which convert to [some degrees 1].901533 and [some degrees 2].905633. When I go to Google Maps and drop a pin at the correct location, it gives [some degrees 1].901197 and [some degrees 2].906427 as the coordinates. It looks like it's about 500 feet off, as I suspected. That's annoying.

But even so, why wouldn't setting the wrong location as the trusted location work, if that's where the phone thinks it is?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

That's odd that Google Maps would report differently from the GPS app as both should be accessing the same location data. Does the GPS app report that it has a positive lock on a lot of satellites? It would never have occurred to me to compare the actual coordinates but that's weird as hell.

Like I said, I had to actually put in an address that matched where I was physically to set up a trusted location. I imagine if the location Google thinks you are doesn't match the location you say you are and doesn't match the location they think the wifi network is it just won't let you set it as trusted because it's obviously incorrect.

Sorry, I wasn't quite clear. I looked at Google Maps on my computer. The GPS app showed something like 5 or 7 satellites locked on. Google probably doesn't know where this wifi network is since my in-laws moved here very recently. Is there a way to tell Google about it?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has anyone removed the battery on a Nexus 4? Last week while I was replacing the daughterboard (still would like to know why that didn't make the LED start working again), I was going to take out the battery for safety before I realized that unhooking it was enough. The top and right edges (as you're looking at the battery) sort of folded a little - is this normal?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

For all you N4 users with the battery issues, it's been two years, it's time to upgrade. You can open it up and change the battery if you want (might as well replace the USB daughterboard while you're at it) but really, why would you? It's old, lacks LTE, and is on the far end of support.

Maybe it's time to move on.

I'd love to, but my wife balks. "It's not even two years old" (got it for Christmas 2012, but didn't come in until mid-February), "It's so expensive!" (she's used to subsidized pricing, even after explaining it to her). Bah.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't think the rollout is complete yet is all.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What was that new Moto Skip-like thing they came out with a couple months back? I can't remember the name of it, and can't find it on their site.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

The only thing I can say is that my battery drain both idle and in use seems much faster under Lollipop. I don't gently caress around my phone that much and I don't usually skip from app to app to app so maybe my routine of Something, Hangouts, and Chrome just doesn't trigger it.

I just don't know, man.

I agree that on my Nexus 4, idle battery drain seems a lot faster. Not sure about in-use drain. The battery info screen blames it on Google Play Services, and I see a lot of awake time when the screen's off. GSam blames either Google Play Services or Android System.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

What is this wizardry?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

pandaK posted:

The light up displays for the buttons appear behind the line pattern. Is it supposed to do that because all the online pictures I've seen of the Note 4 have the light up buttons show up on top of the line pattern.

What line pattern? Is this something specific to the Note 4?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Radio Talmudist posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I've been thinking about rooting my LG G3 for Xposed for a while now. My only concern is what would happen with OTA updates: would I gently caress up my phone by upgrading to lollipop from a rooted lg g3 with an xposed install? I guess I could always do a factory reset, go back to a fresh, non-xposed lg g3 install and do an OTA for lollipop that way?

Here's the thread you're looking for.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm going to replace the battery on my Nexus 4 today. For anyone who's done this, would it be better to point the hairdryer at the back of the phone or the screen to loosen the glue?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Replaced the battery on my Nexus 4 just now. That's not something I ever want to do again:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, it is set to high accuracy. I clicked the add location thing and added the location my GPS says I'm at. No luck.

Mine usually works, but I find I have to put in the PIN a handful of times each day while I'm home. I'm waiting for the Moto Keylink to be back in stock so I don't have to deal with this stupid poo poo anymore.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, my Nexus 4 appears to have committed suicide. I got up at 7 and was browsing the forums, and at about 7:25 the screen shut off. I thought maybe it had gone into the sleep of death, since that happened twice over the weekend while using Hangouts + Google Voice to make a call. However, I noticed that the back of the phone was rather hot, about the same as if I were playing a more intensive game. Now I can't get the thing to turn on, even after letting it charge for 15-20 minutes. Any ideas to revive it?

Edit: I opened it up and looked at the (newly-replaced) battery, it looked fine. Put it back together, still nothing. Maybe a half an hour ago, I re-connected it to my computer and got the "device connected" sound, and now it's working fine again. :iiam:

hooah fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 20, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
You can't get rid of them (and couldn't benefit if you could), but you can disable them by finding them in settings -> apps and choosing "disable" or something like that. May have to uninstall updates first.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
God dammit, why does the downtime turn itself off?? Happened twice in 10 minutes last night, and it just happened tonight while I was showering.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RVProfootballer posted:

Didn't you replace the battery recently? Seems pretty plausible you messed something up or got a bad replacement battery or something.

I did, but this has been happening since I upgraded to Lollipop.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Cross-posting into the correct thread (it's been a long day):
So, my Nexus 4 might be completely inoperable. Is there any way to wipe the memory without turning the phone on? If not, what should I look for in the phone so I can physically destroy the memory while leaving the rest of the phone more-or-less intact to sell for parts?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
After disconnecting the battery for a while, I was able to boot the phone (which I believe worked last time, as well). So, I'm currently running a Helium backup just in case. I'll probably have to wait until we get our tax refund to buy a new phone, though. In the meantime, I'll try to do some diagnostics to figure out what causes the crash, which seems to be a thermal issue.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The Galaxy S5 has a removable battery and microSD card storage but this is not a make-or-break thing please don't start a fistfight over it.

This gave me a good laugh. Someone's been reading the thread!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Am I missing something with the Moto Maker website? They start you off with the 16 GB X at $400. I checked the 64 GB box which says it adds $100, and suddenly the price is $600. Is the extra $100 due to the "pure" edition?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone know if the 2014 Moto X is at all magnetic? I got a magnetic CD-tray car mount last year for Christmas, and after all the surgery I've been doing on my Nexus 4 I ended up leaving the plate out, and it still sticks enough that I'm not worried on city streets in Michigan, and it'd be nice to know if something with a curved back could stick as well.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Thanks for the info about pull + tap; I didn't know that, and it's certainly easier than either trying to get two fingers up there (impossible one-handed) or swiping twice (my poor thumb joint!).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

small hendren posted:

i am buy 68 janer nake skin

Are... Are you having a stroke right now? Maybe you should go to a hospital instead of posting on an Internet forum?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

MaxDuo posted:

Sucks to hear the bluetooth keyboards are still poo poo, but I guess I mostly expected it since buttons are so hated now.

It's not that physical keyboards/buttons are hated, rather that they're unnecessary anymore.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The Moto Keylink may be going away? The page I have bookmarked (the same that their site search gives you) redirects to the accessories page: http://www.motorola.com/us/accessory-family-page-1/Motorola-Keylink/keylink.html.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

They just removed it due to it being OOS and it will be a few weeks before it's back.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/01/31/motorola-still-loves-the-keylink-will-bring-it-back-in-several-weeks/

Ok, that's good to know. It'd been out of stock as long as I had been checking, but they didn't change the page until recently, which seems odd.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tunga posted:

Oh Samsung, never change.

(Context)

My phone didn't ask me how to open the Google+ link, and Firefox just loaded a blank page. What's the context?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone else have a problem with the Play Store's "Update All" button not actually, y'know, updating all? It will work properly maybe half the time, but often I'll have to hit it two or three times because one or two apps will get updated, then it'll just stop.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Grumpwagon posted:

Are you in any beta app programs? This happens to me every time when the beta app I'm using updates.

I am in a couple beta programs; I'll try to pay attention to when any of those are updating in the future.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

JimmyBiskit posted:

I just had my S4 land on the corner of the screen and break it. Unfortunately, I didn't enable USB debugging beforehand like I should have, and there are a few things I'd like to recover which are gonna require that I have that enabled. I've read that I can push a kernel to my phone that has it enabled by default and use that, but I'm kind of at an utter loss as to what the hell I need and phones are not my forte. Not even sure if this is the right place to be asking, but anybody got advice for me? :shobon:

A better place to ask would be the rooted thread.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why does Android keep the phone awake while charging? That seems inefficient.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't know if it's a wake lock; I'm just looking at the built-in battery reporting screen, and the "awake" line is always solid while the phone's charging.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RVProfootballer posted:

Do you have daydream enabled?

Nope.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I had the annoying "I'm not really going to update all the apps" thing today, and now the "update all" button is unresponsive. I tried backing out of the Play Store app and then swiping it away from the app switcher, no luck. I then did those and also went into the Settings -> Apps and force stopped the Play Store. Still no response from that drat button! I guess I'll update these two apps by hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

robodex posted:

If you have FB Messenger, uninstall it. While I still run into memory and battery issues every day or two, they're far less frequent than when I had messenger installed.

When you have problems, does Messenger show up on the battery list (or e.g. GSam if you have it installed)? I've never seen it show up either place, although I use it maybe once a week.