Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

redeyes posted:

I am building an electronics lab for my 15 year old. He is really interested in this stuff and I figure now is a good time to get him a bunch of stuff to get a jump start on college.
That is really awesome that you are so willing to get your kid all this stuff! Just be aware though, traditional electrical engineering courses are extremely math heavy, and have almost nothing to do with scopes, soldering, or building anything. I'm exaggerating, but only a bit. He'll have lab courses where he does need to build circuits, but they will tell you to buy the lab kit for $49 or whatever. If his interests are actually building stuff, then go nuts, and possibly look at electrical engineering technology as a major (if you can find a university that offers it).

I would probably recommend getting either a ready built robot (something like this) or a big kit of Arduino stuff. Soldering and actually building anything that does anything is really, really hard unless you have a mentor to guide you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread