Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kstx
Feb 22, 2015
Im recommending simple and cheap logic analyzer for protocol decoding(reverse engineering and troubleshooting). Best bet would be checking Cypress FX2 based logic analyzers which usually gives you 24MHz/8channels that is enough for most projects in embedded electronics. These FX2 based devices are usually clones of Saleae and USBee devices and can be reflashed to work with their software and have support for https://sigrok.org software. I personally have Saleae Logic(old 8channel version) analyzer in my toolbox and its working great(with original software and sigrok). Also i have tested couple generic china clones with Saleae, USBee and Sigrok and they work fine with them.

If you are working with more in audio signal and other slow rate stuff i would recommend as cheap alternative to real oscilloscope something like 2ch/20MHz USB-connected one. These have enough bandwidth for most applications since microprocessors running usually 8/16MHz and audio applications working under 100kHz. There are some solutions that combine logic analyzer and oscilloscope(more like just analog input), with these devices you cant expect great fidelity with analog signals but are usually nice for ocassional debugging. I havent used too much these since having access to real scopes.

I didnt notice any variable power supply in your list. I would recommend one for more versitility when needing different voltages and more power for projects. Cheap ones are plentiful online, but some models can have terrible ripple voltages and switch spikes on turning power on/off.

If you are going for more extensive Atmel µC developement (in arduinos or custom) i would recommend Atmels own AVRDragon debugger/programmer and Atmel Studio (based on Visual Studio and has plugin for arduino libraries and bootloaders + syntax checking and code completion). Basic Arduino IDE is just horrible in my honest opinnion.

General recommendations for different modules:
Ethernet (basic 10/100M) module, for interfacing with computers and internet
Wireless module(s) (wifi/bluetooth/cellural(2G/3G)/custom(400/800)), for interfacing with computers/internet and between devices
Display modules (with/without touch), for more information display
Sensor modules (temp/pres/lux/etc..)

+1 for eevblog.com forums

As for disclaimer i would recommend checking eevblog forums and elsewhere for reviews and like before you buy anything online. Also window shopping in shops like adafruit and then checking cheaper clones from places like dx.com aliexpress.com and ebay.com can save you buck or two (caution being they are clones).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread