Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

craig588 posted:

Hakko iron and a generic multimeter? I would have gone the other way with a 10 dollar radioshack iron and a 100 dollar name brand multimeter. I'm more of the mindset of buying stuff as you need it, not just buying things because they sound good. It'd suck to spend 300$ on a cheap scope and it turns out he really needed one that was 350$ and you're stuck frusturated wishing you only spent 50$ more. Arduino shields and kits are very gimmicky, but maybe they have a use from an educational standpoint. I've never had a job that an Arduino would be the best option for. I've mostly used them for throwing together something quickly for a proof of concept before going forward with a more specialized and much cheaper design.

Get a solder sucker, they're cheap and I like them more than wick for a lot of tasks.

The Hakko rules. You get the option of easily replacing the tips, digital readout of the exact temperature with a lot more control, it comes with the sponge and magical cleaning brillo pad thingy. I'm glad I bought mine. They are built like a tank.

I need to get a helping hands for my own kit, and a couple good pairs of tweezers for working on smaller parts.

I like the cheapo sets of parts you get on places like dx.com that come with an organizer, or you just get some of the organizers. It makes it so much easier to find things. At one point I just ordered a bunch of cheap stuff like LEDs, patch wires, mini breadboards etc.
Oh yeah a breadboard is always handy, or a breadboard shield for the arduino or whatever you go with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread