Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

should i buy

1. Avernum : Escape from the Pit for an old school RPG experience
2. Darkest Hour, because its supposed to be one of the best grand strat games and i really liked victoria II and it covers part of the same period
3. Stronghold HD because castles are cool and it is a top tier castle game
4. Judge Dredd : Dredd Versus Death which looks like some kinda weird shooter from 2005 but has good reviews

thanks in advance for ur inputs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
buy a lot of bad rats and gift them to people b/c its wacky and zany!

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
who the gently caress are you losers

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Devour or Fire posted:

who the gently caress are you losers

it's me, THE PENETRATOR

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I left steam achievement manager running for three days and got $15 from selling steam cards.

Pretty cool imo

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I left steam achievement manager running for three days and got $15 from selling steam cards.

Pretty cool imo

yeah i dont really understand the card system, but it gets me a free bargain bin game twice a year, so i'm okay with it

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Fandyien posted:

yeah i dont really understand the card system, but it gets me a free bargain bin game twice a year, so i'm okay with it

There's a guy on my friend list who is crazy about them and was real mad at me for selling like 250 of them this week. I guess it makes a number on your steam page go up and you get emotes for the chat and a background for your profile but who gives a gently caress about that

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
I sell all my steam cards to buy port royale 3 cards so I can get the pot emote bc that sells for 20$ on the market. Digital pot farming yo.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I dunno mebbe get more cards

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

There's a guy on my friend list who is crazy about them and was real mad at me for selling like 250 of them this week. I guess it makes a number on your steam page go up and you get emotes for the chat and a background for your profile but who gives a gently caress about that

Ummm, I have an Elite Quake Live Foil Badge and every emoticon for it. So gently caress off.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man I wish for the golden days when steam cards were in beta. People were dumb enough to buy most common cards form $.50 and foils for $10-$20. I ended up making around $50 until it got released and the prices crashed.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I sold my cards and used the proceeds to invest in CK2 cosmetic DLCs and the Tusk announcer for dota 2.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I bought Castle Crashers, E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy and Crusader Kings II DLC for my digital trading card proceedings. This gem crap was a good thing indeed.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

It helps that even if you have just a few cents in your wallet, you can use those to lessen the price of a game you really want. :)

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Avernum is actually pretty good if you like grognard RPGs.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

exmorte posted:

I sell all my steam cards to buy port royale 3 cards so I can get the pot emote bc that sells for 20$ on the market. Digital pot farming yo.

i just did this like 4 times and now I'm steam rich thanks bro

only sells for $6 right now but you can get all the cards for like, $3 so

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Frank Horrigan posted:

Avernum is actually pretty good if you like grognard RPGs.

is it like really stupid difficult like some of those games can be? i'm not into unnecessary challenge

im contemplating getting one of the dishonored DLC packs they look pretty good and they'd only be a buck with my steam card dollahs

Dec 26, 2012

if you play on normal its not too bad. the main things you have to watch out for are that it theoretically lets you go anywhere from the getgo but there are encounters in the overworld in areas that expect you to be stronger that will gently caress you up if you aren't strong enough and pockets of poo poo in otherwise safe areas that you shouldnt gently caress with

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

01011001 posted:

if you play on normal its not too bad. the main things you have to watch out for are that it theoretically lets you go anywhere from the getgo but there are encounters in the overworld in areas that expect you to be stronger that will gently caress you up if you aren't strong enough and pockets of poo poo in otherwise safe areas that you shouldnt gently caress with

hm, interesting, i might grab it then. i remember playing it when i was like six or seven and kinda always wanted to revisit it

i could also get bulletstorm for like a buck if i use my steam bucks how fun is bulletstorm?

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

01011001 posted:

This is p.much how I feel all open-world RPGs should be, so I'm adding this to my wishlist for sure

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Fandyien posted:

hm, interesting, i might grab it then. i remember playing it when i was like six or seven and kinda always wanted to revisit it

i could also get bulletstorm for like a buck if i use my steam bucks how fun is bulletstorm?

its a pretty fun fps. It has some actually cool and fun weapons and a scoring system that encourages you to do cool poo poo with them. Def. worth a buck

Dec 26, 2012

Fandyien posted:

keep in mind this is the second remake of the game so its not quite the game you played when you were a kid

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

according to all the steam reviews bulletstorm doesn't work anymore cus of GFWL or something, which is a shame

Dec 26, 2012

the compilation of all 5 geneforges is $4 right now, if youve never played them jump on that poo poo

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/12171/

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The OP has one of the worst avatars of all time.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
Another good one is the guy with the cheshire cat from american mcgees alice

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

01011001 posted:

the compilation of all 5 geneforges is $4 right now, if youve never played them jump on that poo poo

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/12171/

would you say those are better than Avernum? they sound a little weird but i've defintely gotten myself keyed up for some grognardy RPG stuff, i just finished college and itll be nice to have something to do inbetween job applications

also any map gamers in here have any insight on Darkest Hour?

Wormskull posted:

actually i thikn you'll find its one of the best

Dec 26, 2012

Fandyien posted:

would you say those are better than Avernum? they sound a little weird but i've defintely gotten myself keyed up for some grognardy RPG stuff, i just finished college and itll be nice to have something to do inbetween job applications

spiderweb game roll call

avernum - the first three games in this series have been remade a few times now (originally they were called exile if that rings a bell). they're probably the most traditional/oldschool spiderweb series, they're relatively standard fantasy except instead of elves and dwarves and poo poo you have cat-people and lizard-people and it's in a giant cave. you make 4 personality-less characters in a class-free system (you get learning points that you can assign to poo poo as you level up typically) and they go and do things. the most recent remake (avernum: escape from the pit) is probably the best place to start because the first remake is pretty rough and the original game is incredibly dated, though still pretty fun. in my opinion 2/3 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 4, as 4-6 are way more linear and guided and not as good as the original few (though the mechanics did get much better and those got carried over to the remake of 1).

geneforge - the series is concluded but iirc the spiderweb guy has said that he'd remake them at some point. to be honest though they barely need remaking so much as a face lift, the gameplay hasnt changed too drastically barring a few missteps here and there. the setting of these is much more sci-fi-ish, the main conceit is that nearly all technology is the result of magical bio-engineering (shaping), it's fairly atypical. unlike the avernums you only make one character, you do pick a class at the beginning of the game but that mostly assigns starting stats and determines how much it costs to upgrade skills in your three major categories (weapons, magic, shaping), and you can only rarely recruit help. shaping here is kinda like summoning in that you can make other party members (who are a few set monsters, you have to find knowledge of how to make that particular one in the world before you can make it) but it reserves mana from your pool so long as the thing you made is alive. in the early games there were a bunch of factions you could decide between and do missions for and fully back/betray but 3 and 4 narrowed that a lot (5 brought it back). there's some focus on noncombat stuff, a lot of the time there's ways to do quests or resolve conflicts without fighting, but you can't reasonably play a pacifist. in my opinion 5/2 > 1 > 4 > 3. probably my favorite series and i will be snapping up remakes if and when they arrive

avadon - the most recent series. the spiderweb guy had said that bioware games were a pretty big influence on the setup and it shows. it's pretty fantasyish but more so in the vein of game of thrones or something where it's more about politics than traditional high fantasy stuff. the game has 4 (5 in avadon 2) classes, you make your character out of one of them and then you can bring along 2 party members (ones with personalities and all, not generics, there's always one of each class available) as you go out and do missions (the games are pretty linear). the combat is built around hotbar skills, each class has their own skill tree that you progress them down as they level up. im not as much a fan of these as the rest so i cant gush to the same degree but 2 is probably better than 1

nethergate - the original one of these is pretty old and rough, play resurrection. the setting is a semi-historical one that takes place during the roman occupation of britain, you can choose to play as either romans or celts. romans are better at fighting, celts have magic, and each of them gets different quests and a different storyline. its pretty cool, it runs on the avernum 3 engine which is kinda rough but it plays like an avernum game otherwise where you make 4 guys and send them off to dungeons and poo poo. i wish he'd remake this one but afaik it sold like poo poo so he probably won't

hope this helps

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

01011001 posted:

spiderweb game roll call

avernum - the first three games in this series have been remade a few times now (originally they were called exile if that rings a bell). they're probably the most traditional/oldschool spiderweb series, they're relatively standard fantasy except instead of elves and dwarves and poo poo you have cat-people and lizard-people and it's in a giant cave. you make 4 personality-less characters in a class-free system (you get learning points that you can assign to poo poo as you level up typically) and they go and do things. the most recent remake (avernum: escape from the pit) is probably the best place to start because the first remake is pretty rough and the original game is incredibly dated, though still pretty fun. in my opinion 2/3 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 4, as 4-6 are way more linear and guided and not as good as the original few (though the mechanics did get much better and those got carried over to the remake of 1).

geneforge - the series is concluded but iirc the spiderweb guy has said that he'd remake them at some point. to be honest though they barely need remaking so much as a face lift, the gameplay hasnt changed too drastically barring a few missteps here and there. the setting of these is much more sci-fi-ish, the main conceit is that nearly all technology is the result of magical bio-engineering (shaping), it's fairly atypical. unlike the avernums you only make one character, you do pick a class at the beginning of the game but that mostly assigns starting stats and determines how much it costs to upgrade skills in your three major categories (weapons, magic, shaping), and you can only rarely recruit help. shaping here is kinda like summoning in that you can make other party members (who are a few set monsters, you have to find knowledge of how to make that particular one in the world before you can make it) but it reserves mana from your pool so long as the thing you made is alive. in the early games there were a bunch of factions you could decide between and do missions for and fully back/betray but 3 and 4 narrowed that a lot (5 brought it back). there's some focus on noncombat stuff, a lot of the time there's ways to do quests or resolve conflicts without fighting, but you can't reasonably play a pacifist. in my opinion 5/2 > 1 > 4 > 3. probably my favorite series and i will be snapping up remakes if and when they arrive

avadon - the most recent series. the spiderweb guy had said that bioware games were a pretty big influence on the setup and it shows. it's pretty fantasyish but more so in the vein of game of thrones or something where it's more about politics than traditional high fantasy stuff. the game has 4 (5 in avadon 2) classes, you make your character out of one of them and then you can bring along 2 party members (ones with personalities and all, not generics, there's always one of each class available) as you go out and do missions (the games are pretty linear). the combat is built around hotbar skills, each class has their own skill tree that you progress them down as they level up. im not as much a fan of these as the rest so i cant gush to the same degree but 2 is probably better than 1

nethergate - the original one of these is pretty old and rough, play resurrection. the setting is a semi-historical one that takes place during the roman occupation of britain, you can choose to play as either romans or celts. romans are better at fighting, celts have magic, and each of them gets different quests and a different storyline. its pretty cool, it runs on the avernum 3 engine which is kinda rough but it plays like an avernum game otherwise where you make 4 guys and send them off to dungeons and poo poo. i wish he'd remake this one but afaik it sold like poo poo so he probably won't

hope this helps

word up man thanks for the awesome explanation. geneforge sounds really tight, actually, i might just go ahead and grab that series package. having one character instead of a faceless generic party sounds a little more up my alley, stats juggling wise. it actually sounds sorta like planescape torment, which i never quite beat but put a good chunk of time into, and rly enjoyed

im curious why you don't like Avadon though, looking at my friends list its by far the most popular spiderweb game

Dec 26, 2012

just didn't click with me, plotwise or mechanically

all of them have pretty sizeable demos so give em a spin, you might like it more than i did

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
avadon is MUCH more user friendly and linear, so while it probably has more popular appeal, the people who like spiderweb games found it lacking

Dec 26, 2012

nah the new avernum remake is pretty user-friendly and that one owns

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Wormskull posted:

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Wormskull posted:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ended up grabbing avadon and imma get the avernum remake with the rest of my steam card sales. my brother said he remembered geneforge from back in the day and he recalled that it was like excruciatingly difficult and never got throuhg the first little bit and i'm not super into that, but i might get them next time they go on sale if i like avadon.

anyway sorry you haters can't accept that i have a top tier avatar

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Wormskull posted:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

you guys are really damaging my self-esteem here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Fandyien posted:

ended up grabbing avadon and imma get the avernum remake with the rest of my steam card sales. my brother said he remembered geneforge from back in the day and he recalled that it was like excruciatingly difficult and never got throuhg the first little bit and i'm not super into that, but i might get them next time they go on sale if i like avadon.

anyway sorry you haters can't accept that i have a top tier avatar

its no difficult than the rest unless you try slamming your head against somewhere you shouldnt be, in which case any of them would be hard

• Locked thread