Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

What is Nuclear Throne?

A retro-shooter made for PC, Vita and PS4 by Vlambeer, a 2-man Dutch indie game studio famous for Ridiculous Fishing, Luftrausers and more. In their words:

"Nuclear Throne is Vlambeers latest action roguelike-like about mutants that spend their workdays trying to fight for the throne in a post-apocalyptic world. The radioactive waste in the world allows mutants to get ahead by mutating new limbs on the fly and the abundant availability of powerful weaponry make the quest to become ruler of the Wasteland one fraught with peril. All of this is really just an excuse for us to make a fun action game."

It's really loving well made and fun. The game is hard as balls. It's a semi-roguelike, so each run ends when you die. You die in about 3 hits from the most basic enemy, so you'll restart a LOT. The game has about 10 levels to go through, and you collect XP and guns along the way. XP comes in the form of rads that drop from enemies, but they disappear after a few seconds. This leads you to frantically go after them and die in the process. There is also co-op on a single computer: one can play with a controller, one with kb/m.

The game is out of early access since late 2015, and they just restored the daily runs functionality, found on http://thronebutt.com. It's cool, check it out!

Characters
You can select a number of characters in this game. Each has a special ability activated by pressing LMB, and a passive ability. Characters need to be unlocked by playing the game.

From left to right:
Fish:
can roll, gets more ammo from weapons and ammo packs.
Crystal:
can shield herself, reflecting ranged attacks. has 10 max HP from the start.
Eyes:
can attract enemies, chests, mini pickups, rads and weapons, while pushing away enemy projectiles. Eyes can see better in dark areas like Sewers, Crystal Caves, and Labs.
Melting:
can make corpses explode. He is immune to his corpse explosions. Melting starts with only 2 HP but gains more XP.
Plant:
can shoot snares that prevent enemies from moving and grant vision. Plant moves faster.
Y.V:
can shoot two bullets at the same time at half the fire rate. has an increased rate of fire when firing normally.
Steroids:
can wield two weapons at the same time with lowered accuracy. Starts with some ammo of all types and two revolvers. Weapons are always fully automatic.
Robot:
can eat weapons to randomly gain a mini ammo or HP pickup. Robot finds better weapons.
Chicken:
can throw weapons to deal massive damage. When Chicken dies, she loses 1 max HP and she can walk around headless for a few seconds. Regaining HP will make her head grow back but max health remains lowered. Starts with a sword instead of a pistol.
Rebel:
can sacrifice health to summon allies that shoot enemies. Rebel heals halfway to full health when she goes through a portal.
Horror:
can shoot a beam that uses up radiation. The rads can be picked back up if you don't hit an enemy with it. The beam becomes bigger the longer you hold down RMB. Can choose from 5 mutations when leveling up.
Rogue:
can use the Portal Strike, a superweapon stolen from the IDPD. Wanted by the IDPD; they will constantly spawn and attack throughout the course of the game. Causes an explosion which damages enemies and destroys projectiles when she takes damage. Starts with the Rogue Rifle instead of a pistol.

Mutations
After you level up, you can pick a mutation. They are the same for all characters with 2 exceptions: Throne Butt improves the innate ability of the character so it differs for each, and when you hit level 10 (level 'crown') you can select one of two Ultra mutations that are unique for each character. I won't list them here, but there are tons of mutations. Some add stats (+4 HP, carry more ammo, less bullet spread), some add traits (deal enemies on contact, explosions can't kill you) and others improve weapons (bolt home in, lasers are wider, bullet weapons recycle ammo).

AndroidHub did a nice writeup of all mutations and ranks them into a few tiers.

Weapons
There are too many to list! Each weapon comes in multiple varieties: single shot, fully auto, triple shot, whatever. There are machineguns, shotguns, grenade launchers, laser rifles, crossbows, plasma guns, miniguns, flame shotguns, sledgehammers, ion cannons and more. It's incredibly fun to fool around with the various guns in this game, and they feel powerful.

Video

There are multiple dudes doing daily runs for this game on youtube/twitch, like Sleep Cycles. The Vlambeer Twitter usually tweets some as well. It's a great game to watch in my opinion: quick, full of action and strategy is important.

Links
You can buy this game for 12 euros, it's a steal!
Official site
Steam page
The awesome wiki

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Even though I don't agree with some of the design decisions, this game is great and I've put into 36 hours into it already.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah, some things are kinda eh. Like exploding enemies that insta-kill you, combined with random spawns means you often die in certain levels and you can't really do anything about it. The only recourse is getting the 'immune to explosion under 4 HP' mutation but I agree that's an iffy design choice. I like the game being balls-hard, but sometimes it's just bullshit.

I put in like 10 hours in the first week of owning this game, still have not killed the final boss yet. I got to the penultimate level once and promptly died.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
If t makes you feel any better I haven't gotten farther than 7-1. The later levels seem to expect playing extremely safe, I just like rushing through the beginning with any weapon combinations I come across.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Just picked up the game the other day and I'm really enjoying it.
I've yet to get past the scrap yard! :D

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Grabbed it after seeing Tietuesday and Slowbeef stream it a bunch. What a loving great game, love that music. I just wish that I didn't have to go back to the main menu to change my character.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Love this game too. I've never finished it either, and only got to the throne once after using the secret shortcut.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Got to this area last night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzlNWRUV3uU
loving love this game.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Smite and Tie Tuesday and Madi were streaming races yesterday. The dev hacked in a quick race mode for them that synced seeds. Coolest loving game ever.

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!
I love this game, though I haven't beaten it either, yet. There are definitely some design choices I disagree with (such as how fickle level generation is, in my opinion), but that doesn't stop it from being a great game. i was seriously addicted to it a couple months ago, until my mouse broke. I can't play it with a controller, too unwieldy for my tastes. :(

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Invisible Ted posted:

Got to this area last night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzlNWRUV3uU
loving love this game.

Yeah this level and the hidden one in the sewers are by far the best I've discovered so far.

Also I'm getting close to beating the scrapyard! :toot:

Orgone Accumulator
Jan 28, 2006

It's been a long time coming.
So is the free copy of this steam tradable? If it is I have a bunch of old games in my inventory (hl2 +ep1, amnesia, witcher, left 4 dead, napoleon total war, tomb raider: underworld) that I would trade for one. Also have keys for Blue Flamingo and Dust.

Orgone Accumulator fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 2, 2015

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Oh my god I've played 45 minutes of this and it's just fun. So much fun.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
This game is a blast - often literally. I can't figure out, though - is co-op implemented yet? If not, any idea when it will be?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sade posted:

This game is a blast - often literally. I can't figure out, though - is co-op implemented yet? If not, any idea when it will be?

Offline only with one player on a controller and the other on mouse and keyboard. No idea about any other specifics or if there are any plans for online though.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
I really, really hope there's some Ridiculous Fishing cameos in here.

Having a great time with this game. It definetely doesn't snowball as much as most other roguelike-esque games on the market, even with a lot of mutations it seems like you'd have to still be able to actually play well, whereas something like Binding of Isaac you can get to a point where you can just not even give a poo poo. I kind of like the emphasis on rewarding skill here.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

For easy mode, play with Crystal, the easiest character. He has a mile-wide gap in difficulty compared to other characters, being the only character with a good defensive skill. And he also gets a teleport (which makes the last two bosses much easier)

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Chicken is a good beginner character too imo, she has an unlimited bullet-time ability that can make really hectic situations manageable. She also starts with a sword, which is really useful for deflecting/canceling enemy bullets.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Robot is good too, he finds better weapons and his active gets you more guaranteed ammo and health. Chicken and Crystal will teach you bad habits, be careful.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I really like Yung Venuz because of the airhorn.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

steroids is the best because he can shoot two guns at once. The best way to combat a screen full of bullets and enemies is to fill it with more bullets.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Crystal is best because she's made out of the things that have always killed me. It's the transitive law.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I don't even care about reaching the throne, going constant 1 health rebel is just hilariously fun.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

this game owns. hard as gently caress though. im having trouble making it past 1-3 on a consistent basis as anyone but crystal

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I picked this up because I loving loved Super Crate Box and Vlambeer have proven themselves to be masters of super-fast arcadey action, and this game is no different. I was surprised to find out that the disc gun from Super Crate Box returns in this one and I cannot wait to kill myself with it! I have to play without the screen-shake though because that + the rapid camera movement makes me motion sick.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 3, 2015

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Fuuuck that level with the wannabe banelings that bumrush you as soon as you spawn in, had a really good Y.V. run going, energy sword and assault rifle, with ammo crown, bullet regen on hit, corpse bounce, and health on kill.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Bisse posted:

For easy mode, play with Crystal, the easiest character. He has a mile-wide gap in difficulty compared to other characters, being the only character with a good defensive skill. And he also gets a teleport (which makes the last two bosses much easier)

She
:goonsay:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
It's me, I'm the big baby that runs around with Chicken in bullet time.
Though honestly I've done the best as Robot and Rebel.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh come on the 3-3 boss has a self destruct?! t:mad:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
If you get the opportunity with a local friend, definitely give co-op a shot. The dude with a controller has a bit of a harder time of it, but ever since the patch that cleaned up a lot of the buggy behavior it's hella-fun. Also I'm glad that there's finally an SA thread for this game!

Where's all my loopers at? :ssh:

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.
Co-op is great fun as it is, but the devs have plans to change it dramatically. Currently, we seem to share mutations, ammo pickups and the box to resurrect your buddy is a pretty common thing. I don't think any of that is going to stay the same when they are finished working on it. They want co-op to be as hard or harder than single-player; right now it's just a net benefit. I told one of the devs that we had made it all the way to world 7 in co-op and he responded with "that's a bug."

Steroids is my favorite. But I can't ever decide if I want to go double-melee or try to get some sort of infinite ammo, double-bulletswarm thing to happen.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Throne Butt, what is it and what can it do for me?

Throne Butt is a mutation that bestows unique character-specific enhancements. Fish will not get the same benefit from Throne Butt as Crystal, for instance. It is not very good on some characters and absurdly good on others. Read its description as you take it!

If Throne Butt shows up, you take it. This is the only goonhouse rule of Nuclear Throne. If you reach the Throne without Throne Butt, you have lost the game in every meaningful sense. Go hang yourself.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Butts are Important

E: I finally unlocked Horror. Horror is rad, I like it.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Butts are Important

E: I finally unlocked Horror. Horror is Sv, I like it.

drat americans and your unique units :v:

Seriously though, how do you use Horror, I'm a greedy bastard that doesn't want to use xp as a weapon.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Nalesh posted:

Seriously though, how do you use Horror, I'm a greedy bastard that doesn't want to use xp as a weapon.

As a Canadian this post triggered me.

I've mostly been using the xp gun as a boss/high level enemy killer but it seems like a special that would be more effective late game. I guess the thing with Horror is that it doesn't need to level as often as other characters since the extra mutation means you'll have less "superfluous" mutations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Nalesh posted:

Use the beam in short bursts to destroy waves of projectiles coming at you, or as a panic button against truly monstrous waves of enemies. You're refunded all the rads you use to damage enemies when those enemies die, so when used well it's actually quite efficient! (Previously, you could just pick up the rads while firing into a wall, letting Horror heal to full for no cost with throne butt.)

Also on any character, Plutonium Hunger is the best mutation. Not only does it massively increase your attract range for radiation, it also gives you a moderate pull range for ammo boxes and medkits. This might not sound like a lot on paper, but it vastly improves your options tactically - If a room is incredibly dangerous, you can stay behind cover and plink at them from behind cover without missing out on delicious radiation! Even if you're the gung-ho type, hoovering up medkits just from being near them will save your life on more than one occasion. Always get Plutonium Hunger.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

You can also make a case for the following mutations being the ~best~:
- Back Muscle: increases ammo capacity. This makes sure you're not at max ammo all the time, so you get more ammo drops for weapons you are using, which is great. Running out of ammo/being careful with spending ammo is one of the reasons I die a lot.
- Second Stomach: Healing to full with max. 2 medpacks is GREAT. Also, if you're robot it doubles the healing from eating weaps wich is also great.
- Rhino Skin: You die a lot from burst damage because getting hit twice from almost anything will kill you. Rhino skin lets you survive (on average) 1 to 2 extra hits, which can hold you over until you find a medkit.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
So I heard that people who bought this before the New Year got a free copy of it to hand out. Is that true?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

So I heard that people who bought this before the New Year got a free copy of it to hand out. Is that true?

Yup!

I'm glad we finally have a thread for the best game on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Ciaphas posted:

Oh come on the 3-3 boss has a self destruct?! t:mad:

Wait until you see the 5-3 boss.

• Locked thread