Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

RyokoTK posted:

I wonder if you're in danger of the rockets blowing up on you if you try to pull that as Crystal. She's already good as hell with Gamma Guts though.

Forgot to mention the rockets, that might been what killed me instead. I was actually playing Crystal that run which is the only reason I bothered taking Gamma Guts, I consider it her Throne Butt because of how hilarious it is to stomp through a crowd with her Ultra B. Maybe if you combined it with Boiling Veins? But that's an even more situational pick than Gamma Guts unless you're running super explosive weapon heavy.

Still, it's a fun (but pretty situational) interaction and I'm going to keep it in mind for future runs. It'll probably be nice on loops for Big Bandits at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You could always use it in conjunction with her Throne Butt to telefrag enemies :v:

(seriously why is her throne butt so horrible)

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"

Thanks weekly!!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
With the sledgehammer and Wave Gun, too, well done gamer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Euphoria is absolutely key to doing that challenge

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Wrist Watch posted:

You can do the same to Big Dog but the bullets spiraling out from him make it suicide, which is how I died testing my newfound strat. I'm pretty sure it was the bullets killing me, but it might have also just been the initial small explosions actually being explosions and not visual effects or something. It all happened pretty quick, so I'm not really sure. I think if you were to say, pick Crystal and also have her throne butt by then you might be able to get away with it because of how stupidly fast gamma guts ticks.
u just gotta be good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ppPXUz562o&t=1006s
(it helps if you touch him from a corner, because you're a bit farther away from where the explosions spawn)

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 15, 2017

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I Reached The Nuclear Throne

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
How long did it take?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

VgameT posted:

Thanks weekly!!

heavy heart, condolences

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

RyokoTK posted:

How long did it take?

I'm at 33 hours played on Steam, about half of which was in the last two weeks.

Completed it as Eyes, I came out of 7-2 with a lightning hammer and a minigun (which I only picked up because my super crossbow ran out of ammo). Even with 500ish rounds and sucking in pickups my minigun ran dry and I ended it dodging back and forth swinging the hammer like mad. Good fight.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Party Boat posted:

I'm at 33 hours played on Steam, about half of which was in the last two weeks.

Completed it as Eyes, I came out of 7-2 with a lightning hammer and a minigun (which I only picked up because my super crossbow ran out of ammo). Even with 500ish rounds and sucking in pickups my minigun ran dry and I ended it dodging back and forth swinging the hammer like mad. Good fight.

gg, well done. It took me somewhere around 30 hours to sit on the Throne too. Now you gotta go for that loop :twisted:

e: Unrelated, but there's a Super Bazooka on 7-1 in this weekly, which is pretty much a free ticket to a decent run if you want to have some Melting/Crown of Death shenanigans. :)

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 15, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Wrist Watch posted:

I'm not sure how I never thought to try this before, but if you pick up gamma guts you can literally stand on top of Big Bandit and kill him in like two seconds since he doesn't deal contact damage and gamma guts ticks incredibly fast (every frame maybe? not sure).

BTW this doesn't work against Lil' Hunter, as I just found out, because he explodes immediately when he runs out of HP and then explodes again when his jetpack finally burns off. I have never noticed that because as soon as I kill him I always run away :v: One tiny little explosion and I just instantly died, thanks Lil' Hunter.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

RyokoTK posted:

BTW this doesn't work against Lil' Hunter, as I just found out, because he explodes immediately when he runs out of HP and then explodes again when his jetpack finally burns off. I have never noticed that because as soon as I kill him I always run away :v: One tiny little explosion and I just instantly died, thanks Lil' Hunter.

I'm starting to understand why this strat hasn't been discussed more now.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the best part of gamma guts is walking on top of cops as they come thru portals. also as crystal you can teleport on top of shielders/elite shielders as they are shielding and kill them with gamma guts through it, it's actually sincerely really good

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah I will happily take Gamma Guts, it's just not quite as dangerously cheesy as one might hope. Being able to saunter through looped wasteland or sewers and not waste valuable ammo is so nice, and being able to just stomp on shielders is a bonus.

And I wasn't explicitly trying to cheese Lil' Hunter, he just landed next to me and my weapons were not super good for the fight so I gave it the ol' yolo.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 18, 2017

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Just got good enough to get to little hunter for the first time!

gently caress this guy!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah he's a huge rear end in a top hat and a major roadblock for a while. Just keep hacking at it and you'll get him some day. He has an endless arsenal of ways to be a dickhead to you, too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Some notes on Li'l Hunter:
  • Don't stay out in the open. Use high-damage, high-reload-time weapons like sluggers, heavy/super crossbows, heavy assault rifles, etc. Optimal strategy is to hide behind a wall, duck out, fire at him, duck back into cover, repeat.
  • He'll drop in on you within ~10-15 seconds of the level starting, so try to find/make a good arena. Hammerhead can be useful for this, as can explosive weapons, if used carefully. Make sure you create some cover for yourself!
  • Shortly before he tries to land on you, his shadow will appear. Stay away from the blue flames he generates on landing.
  • He can fire an Eraser-like weapon (multiple stacked high-speed projectiles) which can snipe you from offscreen.
  • When he summons cops, he's vulnerable for several seconds. This is a good opportunity to damage him.
  • If he can't see you, he'll mostly just summon cops, and occasionally lift off to divebomb you. Assuming you can handle the cops, he's pretty passive.
  • He doesn't have much health (considerably less than Big Dog). A single Super Crossbow volley will nearly kill him if all bolts land...not that I'd recommend trying that as it'd involve getting too close.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Grr, if I leave the game paused and the gamepad turns off due to inactivity, then the game crashes when I turn it back on. :(

Guess I could look and see if it's a known issue.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

[*]He doesn't have much health (considerably less than Big Dog). A single Super Crossbow volley will nearly kill him if all bolts land...not that I'd recommend trying that as it'd involve getting too close.[/list]

Steroids and YV should both be able to 1-shot him if you got good weapons, I think that's how I beat him for the first time.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I kinda want to try and see about making a Nuclear Throne arcade cabinet. Maybe with NTTogether support. Then I'd have an excuse to play Nidhogg too. Any thoughts? :v:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

how do you plan on integrating the keyboard and mouse smoothly

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I actually thought about a cabinet too, but sticks would absolutely not work -- how would you aim, move and fire at the same time? I feel like a trigger on a joystick would get really tiresome.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Dual joysticks, buttons in between, dedicated airhorn? I am still 100% in the conception phase. :v:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Twin sticks both with thumb buttons and index finger triggers. Program rapid fire into the right trigger with xpadder. Thumb buttons do swap and pickup. All set.

Edit: Plus gigantic button in the middle of the board for airhorn

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Zero VGS posted:

Twin sticks both with thumb buttons and index finger triggers. Program rapid fire into the right trigger with xpadder. Thumb buttons do swap and pickup. All set.

Edit: Plus gigantic button in the middle of the board for airhorn

Was thinking maybe a foot pedal for the airhorn. STOMP STOMP STOMP

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Track ball with button for left thumb ain't bad. It's already how I play & work (I haven't used a mouse on my main comp for years), and you can be surprisingly accurate with even with snap aiming once you get used to the travel speed.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I killed little hunter.

Then I died after running out of ammo.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
After 64 hours, I unlocked hardu modo.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
One of the recent Humble Bundle subscriptions I got had a game called "Neon Chrome": http://store.steampowered.com/app/428750/

I just played through the game and it's essentially Nuclear Throne meets Rogue Legacy. It has less polish than those games, but it has some nice quality of life improvements too:

- still twin-stick shooter, can use mouse/kb or controller

- infinite main gun ammo with reloading

- most guns are automatic

- all explosives do this expanding radius thing before they explode

- they say the levels are procedural but it seems like they're completely static except maybe enemy placement, this is a good thing because the levels are designed cleverly

- Couch multiplayer up to 4 players at once

Anyway, if you like Nuclear Throne you might like this, I'd say it's more or less worth the $7.50 it's on sale for, or keep an eye out for a larger sale or bundle.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I picked up Neon Chrome per your recommendation, and yeah it's pretty decent. It's not quite the sublime madness of NT but the combat is nice and crunchy and it looks great.

It's like Rogue Legacy except that you keep ascending to make the world more challenging and it scales up the difficulty like NT loops do. Pretty fun, the weapons are a little anemic but it's not bad. And the difficulty curve is much gentler than most games of this type; I got my first Overseer kill the same day I bought it, although it's tougher now.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I got a golden shotgun and it said it was "stored" but I can't find it as an option on my character select. What exactly does that mean?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

if you choose a character and then click the ^ next to the weapon on the right side of the screen it'll bring up your unlocked weapon + crowns. you can't do this for dailys though

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

PantsBandit posted:

So I got a golden shotgun and it said it was "stored" but I can't find it as an option on my character select. What exactly does that mean?

Click on the pistol for the character you got it as and you should pop up a sub-screen that shows their unlocked crowns and skins and lets you switch between the pistol and their golden weapon.

e:f;b

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

oddium posted:

if you choose a character and then click the ^ next to the weapon on the right side of the screen it'll bring up your unlocked weapon + crowns. you can't do this for dailys though

oddium posted:

I got it for YV and it just shows his golden revolver and the golden crossbow I already had. Is it max of two?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah it's only that character's default weapon (typically the revolver) and whatever the last stored golden weapon is for that character.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the golden revolver is yv's default weapon, that's where you would normally see the revolver on most characters or chicken's sword/rogue's gun. only one gold weapon can be stored at a time, which is the last one you took through a portal

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Oh ok. Yeah I had the golden crossbow and the golden shotgun at the same time so it must have just overwritten the shotgun.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Wow just got to 7-1 for the second time and was immediately met by 7,000 enemies standing on top of me. Lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That situation is way more common than it should be, and it's why hammerhead is a lot better than it might seem

• Locked thread