Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Regret nothing, until it is too late. Then, regret everything. Welcome to Night Vale Eldritch Horror.

Eldritch Horror is a board game where a group of investigators travel the world to stop the Ancient One from awakening and destroying everything. The game is apparently based on Arkham Horror (which I've never played) and quite frankly is one of the best board games I've ever played. The game scales and can be played with anywhere from 1 to 8 players, but I've never seen an 8 person game in action so I'm curious to see how that would end up.

I'm not going to be playing with you, I'm just going to set things up. If you have questions I will respond as best I can. I want you guys to win but I don't want it to be easy. I'll even drop hints so newer players can still feel comfortable and have a good time. Otherwise, think of me as your suspicious guide who seems to know more about what's going on than you do.

This game has a ton of fiddly bits and tokens but you're in luck because that's my problem not yours. Since the game is 100% co-operative against the board, I'll just post everyone's items, spells, conditions, ect, for you guys. Some of the cards have information on the back which you aren't supposed to read, so I won't tell you what's there until the game says for you to flip it over.

Seriously, look at all of this.

Are you interested?

If you want to play, I'm going to need you to pick a Investigator for you to play as (first come first serve) and pick a Ancient One to fight against. I'd also like a brief description of your expertise with the game (or expansion) before so I know how much help or rule clarifications to send your way.

Investigators

Each Investigator has two unique things going for them, and then their own stats. Each Investigator has a unique Action and a unique passive ability to help them out. As for the stats, here's what they do.

Health/Sanity: The number on your card is your maximum and starting value. If you reach 0 Health or Sanity, you suffer a crippling injury / go insane and have to select a new character. Other characters have a chance to loot your body if they go to your space.

Skills: Everyone has the same five, and you use them at different times. The number is how many dice you roll to test that skill. If any of those dice come up as 5 or 6, you succeed. (In combat, the number of successes counts too.) All skills are useful in your own way, and through encounters you're likely to use at them all at least twice in the game.
-Lore: Your eldritch knowledge. Used to cast spells.
-Influence: Your relationships with other people. Used to buy items.
-Observation: Your ability to notice things. Used only in encounters, but comes up most often.
-Strength: Your physical prowess. Used to inflict and resist damage in combat.
-Will: Your ability to withstand horrors. Used to resist sanity damage in combat.

Starting Items and Spells: You also start with a few things. None of them are game changers and they compliment your character's playstyle, so I won't bother saying what they do until the game actually starts.

Our Cast: in no particular order
-Akachi Onyele, The Shaman
-Jim Culver, The Musician
-Silas Marsh, The Sailor
-Lily Chen, The Martial Artist
-Lola Hayes, The Actress
-Diana Stanley, The Redeemed Cultist
-Charlie Kane, The Politician
-NormanWithers, The Astronomer
-Mark Harrigan, The Soldier
-Trish Scarborough, The Spy
-Jacqueline Fine, The Psychic
-Leo Anderson, The Expedition Leader

Ancient Ones

There are five Ancient Ones and we need to pick one. Each one changes some dynamics of the game, and has their own unique Research Encounters to gather Clues as well. I'll just give a brief description of what to expect with each Ancient One.

To win the game, you need to solve 3 Mysteries (one at a time) before Doom advances to 0. You can generally still win when the Ancient One awakens, but it's much harder since now you have to solve a fourth Mystery directly confronting the Ancient One.

-Cthulhu, The Madness from the Sea (Doom 12)
Cthulhu's special mechanics involve Sea spaces and in general this Ancient One tends to inflict more Sanity damage on Investigators. When Cthulhu awakes, everyone starts losing Sanity until everyone is driven insane.

-Yog-Sothoth, The Lurker at the Threshold (Doom 14)
Cultists will drop spells, and some events with Yog-Sothoth may require you to sacrifice spells to move on. Being on spaces with Gates will advance Doom unless you sacrifice a spell...but you need to be on a Gate to close it. When Yog-Sothoth awakens, open Gates wills will start feeding their power to Yog-Sothoth.

-Azathoth, The Deamon Sultan (Doom 15)
Azathoth is probably the most vanilla of the Ancient Ones and doesn't have things too different. The primary difference is that Doom advances on a regular schedule with Azathoth. When Azathoth awakens, the world is devoured and it's instantly Game Over.

-Shub-Niggurath, The Black Goat of the Woods (Doom 13)
Shub-Niggurath loves monsters and will spawn monsters more often than any other Ancient One, and having too many monsters on the board will advance Doom. When Shub-Niggurath awakens, Shub-Niggurath will raise a monster army and need to be taken down personally.

-Yig, the Father of Serpents (Doom 10)
Yig is the Forsaken Lore new Ancient One, and uses the new Poisoned condition the most. Cultists spawn on the Expedition space to advance Doom, so while you're there you might as well go treasure hunting. Since Yig has the lowest Doom counter, Yig will very easily awaken but can be defeated (slightly) easier than the other Ancient Ones.

General Flow of Gameplay
  • Action Phase: Players take their Actions and move around the board. If something there requires me to do something, I'll try to be quick so other players can follow up. This goes on until everyone performs two Actions to complete their turn.
  • Encounter Phase: I'll give you each an Encounter based on where you are. If you end your turn on a Clue, Gate, or Major City, it's best if you tell me which of those you want to Encounter before this Phase comes around.
  • Mythos Phase: I draw from the Mythos Deck, causing random things to happen. The Mythos Deck is randomly generated at the start of the game with some cards not getting used. If there are no Mythos Cards to draw, the game is over.

House Rules:
  • There is no Turn Order, just take your turns as needed and I'll resolve encounters simultaneously. However, each turn someone will have to take Lead Investigator. The Lead Investigator occasionally has extra good or bad stuff happen to them.
  • After randomly buliding the Mythos Deck, I'm going to re-arrange it a little. This is mostly to help a narrative flow so things gradually get worse with occasional moments of building hope.
  • I'm going to roll your tests for Encounters using Orokos. If one of your actions requires you to make a test, go ahead and roll it yourself. When it comes effects that may interrupt encounters (such as casting a spell mid-combat or using an item or clue to re-roll) I'll ask how you want to set things up but generally I'll be loose and not use your consumable stuff unless you're going to die.

I'd like to have a full turn once per day, so try to post in the thread once per day. If you don't post, I'll temporarily give control to the rest of the group (or take over myself).

Once again, if you're new to Eldritch Horror, just pick an Investigator and an Ancient One who sounds interesting and I'll help you along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Trish Scarborough -currently deep undercover in enemy territory, have heard rumors of some kind of demonic goat creature called Shub-Niggurath spawning an army of young to take over the world. That's... that's got to be a joke right? Better look into it. This is gonna be a hell of a report.

Azathoth isn't as interesting as the others IMO, but I'm willing to play any of them.

Received the game in TG: Secret Santa this year! It's a lot of fun. Played 2-3 times.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 22, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
When do you plan on starting this?

If after the holidays then sign me up for a random character and Yig/Cthulu

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I plan on starting it whenever I get 8 players. I'll probably skip posting a turn on Christmas so I can spend time with my family anyway.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Leo Anderson had explored many mysterious and dangerous ruins over the years, but this one took the cake. First he'd lost multiple porters to crazed cultists of some sort, then when they finally got to the ruin, the rest had stripped their clothes and gone running into the woods screaming nonsense. But now, as he looked upon the mural that seemed to depict a Black Goat being offered horrifying tribute, the solar calendar inscribed nearby seemed to indicate a date not that far off..

Personally say pick the AO randomly, but Shub-Niggurath sounds good if not.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 22, 2014

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Charlie Kane loves the greatest country in the world, the United States of America, and he also has great respect for the American People and the American Constitution, and he will do anything in his power to protect all three of them, as he said so on his many campaigns. And if it means fighting Azathoth in order to prevent that America is to be eaten with the rest of the world, then to hell with the Daemon Sultan!

Would rather pick AO at random as well.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I've played Arkham Horror but not this and I've been interested in seeing what it's like. Also I've never played a boardgame PbP before so I'm a double newbie. If that's okay by you then I'd like to give it a shot. Mark Harrigan saw terrible things during the war...men dying from mustard gas, artillery bombardments reducing the landscape to an alien nightmare of shattered trees and corpses, futile charges and vicious trench fighting...but those aren't the darkest things he saw overseas. There are monsters, real monsters, lurking in the darkness. Of course no one believes what he saw that night, wartime nerves they say, but he knows that the things that killed his men during the night as artillery shells rained overhead weren't human. The war wasn't the glorious thing the politicians promised it would be but Mark has a new battle to fight now, one far more important than dying for a few feet of territory.

Also voting for Shub-Niggurath but random is fine as well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
In this game, you desperately need an even number of players (the scaling player math only increments things at 4, 6, and 8. So with, say, 3 players, you're playing as difficult as a 4 player game, but with one less Investigator). As such, I'll be on hand to fill a 6th/8th slot if not many people are interested, but I'm Krysm's housemate (and they're using my copy of the game to set all this up), so I'll leave slots open for people who don't get to play IRL as often as I do).

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
I played Stelas' game before, was fun!

Let's see if this salty sea dog will survive again, I'll take Silas Marsh. Grizzled sea captain who is more likely to say "We're gonna need a bigger harpoon." than a bigger boat.

Pick the rest as random

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

I was in Stela's game before, and it was fun.

I'd prefer either Akachi or Diane.

Any of the horrors should be fun, but Shub-Niggaroth would be my vote.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I have never played this before (only Arkham Horror)! Put me in, coach!

I did follow the previous game run by Stelas, though.

I'd be down for Jaqueline Fine, and Any AO.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
That's seven, plus Goodness if you're up for starting right away.

Also someone ran this before? Anyone got a link to that?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Sure thing.

I will be available to start right away, although I'm with family this week for Christmas so my posting might be limited to only once or twice a day.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Cool. About how I was planning on doing it, although taking pictures of the board instead since once there get a lot of monsters keeping track can be hard.

Mykkel, I flipped a coin for you and you are playing as Diane, who happens to be my favorite investigator.

Also since enough people expressed interest in it, we'll start with a Random AO! Not telling until the game starts.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Sweet.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Well, since my family is taking more time today and tomorrow than I expected, I'm going to start the game (using this thread) after everything is done on the 25th so stick around!

Goodness, if you're around please make a post to acknowledge this so I know if you're actually going to play or not. Otherwise I'll probably have Jivjov swap in and take your spot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yup, if Goodness is out, then I'll be jumping in as Norman Withers the Astronomer

Hunched over his desk, poring over ancient tomes, ancient-er scrolls, and his own detailed astrological notes, Norman came to one irrefutable conclusion....something was stirring. Something old and powerful. Something incredibly dangerous. While he was not as hale and hearty as he once was...Norman knew that he possessed invaluable and unrivaled knowledge about the language from the stars. Things were now in motion that threatened humanity itself and Norman could not set idly by. Hopefully his intelligence and cunning would make up for his lack of physical prowess, especially when facing the the horrors from beyond creation.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

jivjov posted:

Yup, if Goodness is out, then I'll be jumping in as Norman Withers the Astronomer

Hunched over his desk, poring over ancient tomes, ancient-er scrolls, and his own detailed astrological notes, Norman came to one irrefutable conclusion....something was stirring. Something old and powerful. Something incredibly dangerous. While he was not as hale and hearty as he once was...Norman knew that he possessed invaluable and unrivaled knowledge about the language from the stars. Things were now in motion that threatened humanity itself and Norman could not set idly by. Hopefully his intelligence and cunning would make up for his lack of physical prowess, especially when facing the the horrors from beyond creation.

Nope, sorry. It was just a bit of gas.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
"Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again. He knows where They have trod earth's fields, and where They still tread them, and why no one can behold Them as They tread."
—H. P. Lovecraft, "The Dunwich Horror"

High over Tunguska a comet unexpectedly fell into the atmosphere crashing into the land creating an unusual green explosion more powerful than mankind has ever seen before. Fortunately, the comet landed in a very remote part of the Soviet Union and no deaths have been confirmed in the incident. The nature of the comet remains to be seen, and around the world many fear that perhaps the comet is a warning from the stars themselves...

Trish Scarborough quietly sips a cup of coffee, reading the news from Tunguska. There are three sharp knocks at her hotel room door, and an envelope slides underneath. Inside is a hand-copy of a telegram in red ink. The telegram consists of only two words. "Arkham. Shanghai."

Leo Anderson overhears a few workers come into the bar after a long nights work, speaking in hushed tones. They're speaking of Tunguska, arguing over what really caused the explosion. Their arguments lead nowhere, and Leo thinks to himself that perhaps the only way to know the truth is to go there himself.

Senator Charlie Kane finds himself at an emergency press conference, trying to silence fears that the explosion at Tunguska was a weapons test by the Soviets. After the conference, he tells his assistant to cancel all of his appointments. There's something more dangerous than the Soviets out there.

Mark Harrigan cleans his revolver as he quietly listens in on a woman in the apartment next to his sobbing. Surprisingly she isn't crying Tunguska, but rather a city over in the United States called Arkham. Apparently her son was mysteriously killed in the night and the police don't seem to be willing to investigate.

Silas Marsh stands on the deck of his ship, gazing up into the stars. Out on the sea, away from civilization, the stars have always been brighter than normal but this time they seem...different somehow. He pulls up his net, it is empty. He looks up at the stars again, and knows something is wrong with the world.

Diana Stanley's phone rings again, and she still does not answer. The Order is unusually insistent on checking in on her tonight. She packs her bags with stolen books from the Order of the Silver Twilight, and puts out the candles in her room. The phone rings once more as she closes the door behind her.

Jacqueline Fine wakes suddenly, jerking forward. Tears slide down her face. Quickly she moves to her desk and pulls out her notebook to note her dream. A castle, purple tentacles covering it like vines. Eyes, teeth. A hole in the sky showing a blue planet below.

Professor Norman Withers' lecture is cut short. The Dean interrupts to pull the professor away. One of his students was found murdered last night, with a comet painted on the wall with his blood. The same Tunguskan Comet Norman had lectured about all week. The Dean reluctantly hands Norman a letter. He has an hour to clear his office and never return to Miskatonic University.

Ancient One: Yog-Sothoth, The Lurker at the Threshold
Omen: Green Comet -> Blue Constellations -> Red Eclipse -> Blue Constellations -> Green Comet
Doom: 14
Mythos Deck: 16 Cards Remain
Reckoning: Each Investigator on a space containing a Gate advances Doom by 1 unless they discard 1 Spell.

First Mystery: Void Between Worlds
It is said that long ago, Yog-Sothoth was imprisoned in a place utterly without existence, a strange void that occupies the space between dimensions.
As an encounter, an investigator on a space containing a Gate may travel to the void between worlds by drawing and resolving a Void Between Worlds Special Encounter
At the end of the Mythos Phase, if there are Eldritch tokens on this card equal to half Investigators (4), solve this Mystery
GM Note: Success on a Void Between Worlds Special Encounter will always close the Gate in addition to adding an Eldritch Token to the Mystery

Board Information
Active Gates: Arkham (Red), Shanghai (Red)
Clues: Sydney, The Amazon, 12, 19
Expedition: Tunguska
Monsters:
  • (Arkham) Cultist: No Horror, Str vs 1 Damage, 1 Toughness. If you win, lose 1 sanity and gain 1 spell.
  • (Himalayas) Gnoph-Keh: Wil vs 1 Horror, Str-2 vs 2 Damage, 3 Toughness. Spawns in Himalayas
    Reckoning: Each investigator on this space loses 1 Health.
Asset Reserve:
  • 1: Tear Gas, Item – Weapon, Discard to reroll 2 dice during a Str test in combat and reduce the Monster's damage by 2.
  • 2: Elder Sign, Tricket – Magical, Reroll 1 die during a Wil test in Combat, and reduce the Monster's horror by 1.
  • 3: Dynamite, Item – Weapon, Action: Discard to deal 3 damage to each Monster on your space
  • 4: Agency Quarentine, Service, When gained, choose a space. Deal 4 damage to each Monster on that space, then discard this card.
  • 0: Bank Loan, Service, When performing Acquire Assets, gain a Debt Condition to add 2 successes.

Trish Scarborough, The Spy – Mistaya
Space: 16 (Central Russia)
Health: 7/7 , Sanity: 5/5
Lor:1 , Inf:3 , Obs:4 , Str:3 , Wil:2
  • Action: If you do not have any clues, gain 1 Clue
  • If an Investigator on your space spends a Clue to reroll a die, they may reroll 2 dice instead.
  • .45 Automatic (2, Item – Weapon, +3 Str during Combat)

Leo Anderson, The Expedition Leader – Lord Koth
Space: Buenos Aires
Health: 6/6 , Sanity 6/6
Lor:2 , Inf:2 , Obs:3 , Str:3+1 , Wil:3
  • Action: Test Inf to gain 1 Ally from the reserve or discard pile.
  • If you are on a Wilderness space, Investigators on your space roll +1 die for tests
  • Hired Muscle (2, Ally, Gain +1 Str and reroll 1 die during Str tests) Used automatically

Charlie Kane, The Politician – TheLovablePlutonis
Space: San Francisco
Health: 4/4 , Sanity 8/8
Lor:2 , Inf:4+1 , Obs:3 , Str:2 , Wil:2
  • Action: Another Investigator may immidiately perform one additional action.
  • When you Acquire Assets, you may give cards you purchase to other investigators.
  • Personal Assistant (2, Ally, Gain +1 Inf and reroll 1 die during Inf tests) Used automatically

Mark Harrigan, The Soldier – Kai Tave
Space: 14 (Northern Europe)
Health: 8/8 , Sanity: 4/4
Lor:1 , Inf:2 , Obs:2 , Str:4 , Will:4
  • Action: You and 1 monster on your space each lose 1 Health
  • You cannot become Delayed or Detained unless you choose to
  • .38 Revolver (1, Item – Weapon , +2 Str during Combat)
  • Kerosene (1, Item, Discard to gain +5 Str during one Combat) Declare before Combat

Silas Marsh, The Sailor – steven666
Space: Sydney
Lor:1 , Inf:3 , Obs:3 , Str:3 , Wil:3
  • Action: Move 1 space along a Ship path, then perform 1 additional action.
  • If you are on a Sea space, Investigators on your space roll +1 die for tests
  • Fishing Net (2, Item, Reroll 1 die for Str tests during Combat; Reduce Monster damage by 1) Used automatically

Diana Stanley, The Reformed Cultist – Mykkel
Space: 7 (Central America)
Lor:4 , Inf:2 , Obs:3 , Str:3 , Wil:1
  • Action: If there is a Cultist on your space either discard all Monsters or move the Cultist to any other space.
  • Reduce the horror of Monsters you encounter to 1.
  • Arcane Manuscripts (1, Item – Tome, +1 Lor during Spells)
  • Wither (Incantation, During Combat test Lor to gain +3 Str for that Combat – then flip)
    (Back: Unknown) Declare before Combat

Jacqueline Fine, The Psychic – Green Intern
Space: 5 (American Heartland)
Health: 4/4 , Sanity: 8/8
Lor:4 , Inf:2 , Obs:3 , Str:1 , Wil:3
  • Action: You may trade any number of Clues with any Investigator
  • 1/round when another Investigator gains a non-Common Condition, reveal the back and gain 1 Clue
  • Flesh Ward (Incantation, 1/round test Lor to prevent an Investigator from losing 2 Health, then flip)
    (Back: Unknown) Will autocast to save a life – otherwise declare before end of turn if want to cast on person taking most damage
  • 1 Clue (Dreams of Yog-Sothoth)

Norman Withers, The Astronomer – Jivjov
Space: Arkham
Health: 5/5 , Sanity: 7/7
Lor:3 , Inf:1 , Obs:3 , Str:2 , Wil:4
  • Action: Spend 2 clues to discard 1 Monster on a space with a Gate
  • 1/round, you may spend 1 Sanity instead of 1 Clue
  • Feed The Mind (Ritual, Action: Test Lor-1 to improve 1 skill of your choice for an investigator on your space, then flip)
    (Back: Unknown)

Generic List of Actions
  • Travel: Move to an adjacent space. After moving, you may spend Ship or Train Tickets to move an additional space per ticket along the same kind of path.
  • Rest: Recover 1 Health and 1 Sanity. Cannot be done if there is a Monster in your space.
  • Trade: Trade any number of possessions (Assets, Artifacts, Clues, Spells, Tickets) with another Investigator on your space.
  • Prepare: Gain a travel ticket of your choice. You must be on a city space with a path of the same kind as the ticket. You can only have two tickets max.
  • Acquire Assets: Test Inf, and buy a number of Assets from the Reserve with total Value equal to or less than your successes on the roll. If you do not gain any cards, you may discard one card of your choice from the Reserve. Cannot be done if there is a monster on your space, and can only be done on city spaces.
  • Component Actions: Perform an action on your Investigator sheet, or on one of the cards in your possession. Local Actions may be performed by any Investigator on the same space as the one possessing card with the Local Action.

Turn 1:
Investigators, take your actions. I need everyone to post their two actions, and I need a lead Investigator. For this game the Lead Investigator is mostly ceremonial, but some effects will target the Lead Investigator. This can be either good or bad.
If you end your turn on a Major City, or on a space with a Gate/Expedition, you'll need to let me know what kind of Encounter you prefer at the end of the turn.

For the most part you all seem experienced at the game. I'm going to gloss over most of the mechanics since I assume you know them already but feel free to post in here to discuss what to do, where to go, who should do what, and if you're confused by things. Also I'm always available on my IRC channel #krysm in Synirc.net.

Also here are the reference documents if you need them.
Rulebook
Reference Guide
Errata/FAQ

Also here's the syntax you should use if you have a test. Here's my example Acquire Assets Action, with 4 dice and a reroll.
Acquire Assets: 4d6t5 3
Rerolling the 4, Acquire Assets: 1 Free Reroll: 1d6t5 0

And once again, apologies for not having a proper map up. I'm going to go to bed and when I wake up I'm going to get started on that with Photoshop to make it look good and presentable, and actually filled in with useful information instead of being a blank map. Woo!

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 26, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Norman Withers, The Astronomer – Jivjov
Space: Arkham
Health: 4/5 , Sanity: 7/7
Lor:3 , Inf:1 , Obs:3 , Str:2 , Wil:4
  • Action: Spend 2 clues to discard 1 Monster on a space with a Gate
  • 1/round, you may spend 1 Sanity instead of 1 Clue
  • Feed The Mind (Ritual, Action: Test Lor-1 to improve 1 skill of your choice for an investigator on your space, then flip)
    (Back: Unknown)

I'm gonna take Lead here. My game plan is to stay in Arkham and attempt to close the gate. Norman isn't the toughest, but he can probably take a cultist on.

Norman was right. He was right all along, and he doesn't care what everyone else said. He may have lost his job, but he had not lost his resolve. Walking through town with his notes under his arm, his mood failed to become any less foul. All the shops he passed were closed for the evening, or too full of people for him to want to deal with at the moment. The only thing he was able to do was purchase a train pass at the station. Now he can get out of town first thing in the morning. Sadly...on his way back to his loft apartment, things all went to hell....a baleful light shone out from behind the decrepit old church building...an otherworldly light. Silhouetted in that light was a hooded figure. Norman, against his better judgement, crept up behind the figure, who was muttering in a strange tongue.

Strength Check against Cultist: 2d6t5 0

Unfortunately, Norman's approach was neither stealthy or unnoticed. Not breaking from his chant, the crazed hooded man whirled around and swiped at Norman with a wickedly curved knife, laying open the flesh on the professor's left forearm.

Action 1: Bought train ticket
Action 2: Did not use
Combat Encounter: Failed to kill cultist, took 1 damage

Spoiler bar stuff is my combat with the cultist...which apparently Krsym was going to do on their end and I made them mad D: If I get devoured IRL, I have naught but myself to blame.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 26, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Jacqueline Fine, The Psychic – Green Intern
Space: 5 (American Heartland) > Arkham
Health: 4/4 , Sanity: 8/8
Lor:4 , Inf:2 , Obs:3 , Str:1 , Wil:3
  • Action: You may trade any number of Clues with any Investigator
  • 1/round when another Investigator gains a non-Common Condition, reveal the back and gain 1 Clue
  • Flesh Ward (Incantation, 1/round test Lor to prevent an Investigator from losing 2 Health, then flip)
    (Back: Unknown) Will autocast to save a life – otherwise declare before end of turn if want to cast on person taking most damage
  • 1 Clue (Dreams of Yog-Sothoth)

Jacqueline winces at the memory of her vision. Such a thing must not be allowed to pass. She recalls a few like-minded psychics and mystics in a small town in Massachusetts, and resolves to meet with them, to better arm herself against the coming storm. Before she leaves, she attempts to cast an ancient spell of protection not only for herself, but for any other brave and foolish would-be heroes.

Action 1: Cast Flash Ward Spell to prevent the highest damage to an investigator this round (is this actually a separate action?)
Action 2: Travel to Arkham, fight a cultist, and see if we can close the gate as well.

Revising my actions
1: move to Arkham.
2: prep for travel: ocean

I'll use Flesh Ward on the greatest injury this round.

I'd really like to start collecting spells soon so we can spread them around, so I'll head to Arkham as well in the hopes that I can punch a human and close the gate. This is my first game of Eldritch Horror, so expect some minor rules mistakes.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 26, 2014

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Diana Staley, The Redeemed Cultist – Mykkel
Space: 7 (Central America) > Arkham
Lor:4 , Inf:2 , Obs:3 , Str:3 , Wil:1
  • Action: If there is a Cultist on your space either discard all Monsters or move the Cultist to any other space.
  • Reduce the horror of Monsters you encounter to 1.
  • Arcane Manuscripts (1, Item – Tome, +1 Lor during Spells)
  • Wither (Incantation, During Combat test Lor to gain +3 Str for that Combat – then flip)
    (Back: Unknown) Declare before Combat

Diana tramped off the ship and headed to an old church near the docks. She could find refuge there, the Priest was a friend from before her time with the Order. As she turned the corner in the moonlight she saw two figures fighting. an old man with a beard, and a hooded figure with a dagger similar to one that Diana had left in Panama.
Lore check for Wither : 5d6t5 1

Action 1: Purchase ship ticket
Action 2: Travel to Arkham.
I'll use wither for combat.

I'm in agreement with Green Intern, I also misunderstood what Krysm wanted us to roll so [spoiler]Strength Check against Cultist: 6d6t5 0[spoiler] I'm perfectly okay with Krysm ignoring my strength check roll.

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 26, 2014

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Oh, okay then, I'm sorry! I thought you guys were a bit more experienced.

Okay, first things first.

1. Don't worry about combat with anything right away. That's all done during the Encounter Phase, which I'm going to handle on my end to try and streamline anything. For "turn order" of who gets to fight the Cultist first and other similar situations, I'm probably going to start with the most capable person (Diana so far, Jaqueline and Norman are definitely less capable with their lower Strength and Health) since if this was a live game you'd be moving around the Lead Investigator token to decide who fights what first. For now I'm going to ignore your combat rolls, you can edit out your combat stuff.

2. Spells like Flesh Ward and Wither are cast basically whenever you want (with some minor conditions, like "during battle" or "once per round"), you don't spend an Action to do so. In practice this means that they're probably going to be cast during the Encounter Phase, so all I need in your post is a little sentence saying "I'm okay with you using Flesh Ward" or "Let's not cast Wither this time, I want to avoid any potential nastiness for now." (By the way! Spells have side-effects!) However, Norman's spell Feed the Mind explicitly says "Action: Do Stuff", meaning that it costs an action to cast. The same applies to Assets and Conditions by the way. If it says "Action: Do Stuff", you spend one of your two Actions per turn to do that. Otherwise, it triggers when the conditions are met and you want it to, or just may be straight up a constant passive effect.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 26, 2014

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Silas Marsh, The Sailor – stevey666
Space: Sydney
Lor:1 , Inf:3 , Obs:3 , Str:3 , Wil:3
  • Action: Move 1 space along a Ship path, then perform 1 additional action.
  • If you are on a Sea space, Investigators on your space roll +1 die for tests
  • Fishing Net (2, Item, Reroll 1 die for Str tests during Combat; Reduce Monster damage by 1) Used automatically

Arriving in Sydney, leaving his boat and crew behind, Silas knows he will need more to fight.. to.. stop.. whatever the hell is happening.

Acquire Assets: 3d6t5 3

3: Dynamite, Item – Weapon, Action: Discard to deal 3 damage to each Monster on your space

He then grabs a ship ticket, ready for when he will have to leave this blessed island.
Gain 1 ship travel token

As he heads back to his boarding from the ticket office, he feels a prickle on the back of his neck. Something is here.. something that links into all of this.

Silas will look to resolving the Sydney clue in the encounter phase

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
How do you plan on once-per-round rerolls as related to combat? Just let us declare if we want to use one?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks for the clarification. Revising my actions

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

jivjov posted:

How do you plan on once-per-round rerolls as related to combat? Just let us declare if we want to use one?
Well first off, I'm not going to use rerolls unless they'll actually help you in any meaningful way. Otherwise, I'm going to use any 1/round stuff on the Encounter card if they are available. Otherwise tell me if you want me to prioritize your 1/round rerolls somewhere else in the phase (such as Combat). As well, tell me if you are willing to sacrifice any Clues (and if so, how many) for rerolls to make sure you succeed at Combat or your Encounter.

Green Intern posted:

Thanks for the clarification. Revising my actions

Great! Edit that into your previous post please.

stevey666 posted:

Acquire Assets: 3d6t5 3
3: Dynamite, Item – Weapon, Action: Discard to deal 3 damage to each Monster on your space

New item up for sale! (As items are purchased from the Reserve, empty slots get filled right away)
3: Conspiracy Theorist, Ally, Gain +2 Obs during Research Encounters. Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 4+, gain 1 Clue.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

I edited my post. I spoilered the stuff I shouldn't have rolled.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hey guys! I finished the board! It doesn't account for your moves and the Actions posted so far, this board is for the beginning of the turn.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Leo Anderson, The Expedition Leader – Lord Koth
Space: Buenos Aires
Health: 6/6 , Sanity 6/6
Lor:2 , Inf:2 , Obs:3 , Str:3+1 , Wil:3
  • Action: Test Inf to gain 1 Ally from the reserve or discard pile.
  • If you are on a Wilderness space, Investigators on your space roll +1 die for tests
  • Hired Muscle (2, Ally, Gain +1 Str and reroll 1 die during Str tests) Used automatically

Action - Acquire Ally: 2d6 5 - (Results were 2 & 3. Added them together since I forgot to specify)
Off to a good start already.

Knowing the signs pointed north, Leo boarded a boat to Colombia, the first stop on his route to investigate this new mystery. While there, he overheard an individual in the pub discussing the comet, but couldn't find him when he went looking.

Given Wilderness boosts, headed for the Expedition marker, unless someone has a better idea.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Lord Koth, could you specify which space you're traveling to? Saying Colombia leaves me a little confused. Do you mean Space 7?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Charlie Kane, The Politician – TheLovablePlutonis
Space: San Francisco
Health: 4/4 , Sanity 8/8
Lor:2 , Inf:4+1 , Obs:3 , Str:2 , Wil:2
  • Action: Another Investigator may immidiately perform one additional action.
  • When you Acquire Assets, you may give cards you purchase to other investigators.
  • Personal Assistant (2, Ally, Gain +1 Inf and reroll 1 die during Inf tests) Used automatically

Action 1:Acquire assets: 5d6t5 3
Rerolling that 2.
Acquire assets reroll: 1d6t5 0
Darn. Oh well. Buying Tear Gas and Elder Sign and sending the first to Trish and the latter to Norman.

Action 2: Giving Markan extra action. Have fun!

It seems that the pieces on the board are moving faster than Kane expected. He knows that the Reds lack the technological capability to make a weapon of that magnitude, and thus there must be something else afoot. A quick telegram to his friends on the Bureau has a canister of tear gas sent to one of their agents near the Tunguska site, and a few words to Kane's sιance contacts have a small trinket sent to an astronomer, a relative of one of Charlie's friends, on New England. And of course, a small help to a man whom the veterans bureau considered to be suffering from extreme stress after mentioning "supernatural creatures" on a report of his. Unlike them, Kane knew that the man might have saw something much worse than the horrors at Verdun.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 26, 2014

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Trish Scarborough, The Spy – Mistaya
Space: 16 (Central Russia) -> Istanbul
Lor:1 , Inf:3 , Obs:4 , Str:3 , Wil:2
  • Action: If you do not have any clues, gain 1 Clue
  • If an Investigator on your space spends a Clue to reroll a die, they may reroll 2 dice instead.
  • .45 Automatic (2, Item – Weapon, +3 Str during Combat)
  • Tear Gas, Item – Weapon, Discard to reroll 2 dice during a Str test in combat and reduce the Monster's damage by 2
  • 1 Clue

Action 1: Gain a clue
Action 2: Move to Istanbul, do the city card.

Trish looked at the sky as she waited in line at the train station. She could still see the hazy green glow of Tunguska even from here and she wanted nothing to do with that whatever it was. The ground shaking boom of the landing had been quite enough for her, thank you kindly. It was just as well that her orders had sent her elsewhere. She'd still been debating which direction would be the most promising when a postcard from Shanghai arrived at her hotel room. There was no message, just a red lipstick kiss underneath the stamp. Su Ni Hwan always did have a flare for the dramatic. Time to pay an old friend a visit.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 26, 2014

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Krysmphoenix posted:

Lord Koth, could you specify which space you're traveling to? Saying Colombia leaves me a little confused. Do you mean Space 7?

Sorry about that. Yeah, meant Space 7.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I think there's an error on the revised map, Krysm. The Gnoph-Keh was stated to be on the Himalayas, not Tunguska. Tunguska was where the Expedition token was, I thought.

I'll take my action as soon as I know what the new Acquisition cards look like.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Action 1:Acquire assets: 5d6t5 3
Rerolling that 2.
Acquire assets reroll: 1d6t5 0
Darn. Oh well. Buying Tear Gas and Elder Sign and sending the first to Trish and the latter to Norman.

Action 2: Giving Normanan extra action. Have fun!
Noted the cards. Now up for sale:
  • 1: .18 Derringer (Trinket - Weapon, Add 1 to the result of 1 die when resolving a Str test during Combat)
  • 1: Cat Burglar (Ally, Action: Roll 1 die: on a 5+ gain 1 Item/Trinket from the Reserve. On a 1, discard this card)

Norman didn't even use their 2 actions, so that extra Action should go to someone else. I nominate Mark since Kai Tave hasn't gone yet. With no monsters, they can Prepare to Travel, Acquire Assets those new cheap items, and Travel all in the same turn!

Kai Tave posted:

I think there's an error on the revised map, Krysm. The Gnoph-Keh was stated to be on the Himalayas, not Tunguska. Tunguska was where the Expedition token was, I thought.

I'll take my action as soon as I know what the new Acquisition cards look like.

Yeah, someone else brought that to my attention. Since you're the last one I'm not going to fix it for now, but will correct it when the next turn comes around.

EDIT: So played with the Mountains of Madness expansion just now. I rather like it a lot. It adds a few more mechanics to an honestly already complicated game, but for the most part each of them work pretty well. Some players may end up trapped in Antarctica the entire game, but there's so much to do down there it balances out.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 26, 2014

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ok then, edited.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Edited my post with the new actions.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Mark Harrigan, The Soldier – Kai Tave
Space: 14 (Northern Europe)
Lor:1 , Inf:2 , Obs:2 , Str:4 , Will:4
  • Action: You and 1 monster on your space each lose 1 Health
  • You cannot become Delayed or Detained unless you choose to
  • .38 Revolver (1, Item – Weapon , +2 Str during Combat)
  • Kerosene (1, Item, Discard to gain +5 Str during one Combat) Declare before Combat

After the war Mark had tried returning home, back to the life he'd left behind in more ways than one, but it was true what they said...you couldn't go home again. There was nothing for him there anymore but pitying (or contemptuous) stares and nightmares. So once again he shipped out to Europe, only this time it wasn't to fight the Huns. It was to fight something much, much worse.

Of course he didn't really have much of a plan besides chasing rumors and legends, but it would have been disturbing how effective that was turning out to be if his mind wasn't already on even more disturbing matters. Somehow he'd wound his way up to Finland of all places. The weather was miserable and the people weren't much better, but at least the apartment he'd found for himself was nicer than some of the places he'd stayed at.

The walls were as thin as paper though, which was how he got to hear the whole sordid story from the woman next door. He only spoke a smattering of the language, but enough to get the gist of her story...her son had been murdered in some place called Arkham. He understood a few other things she said too, things that made him reconsider his plans for a moment. But no, you couldn't go home again. Whatever was happening back in America, someone else would have to deal with it.

He had a train to catch.

Buying a train ticket was easy. Buying a rifle turned out to be somewhat harder. Not speaking the language and not having much money to his name probably didn't help matters. After a few fruitless, fumbling hours, he returned to his apartment to finish packing and found that the door had already been opened.

Grabbing his revolver he crept towards the door and nudged it open, lunging inside with pistol at the ready...only no one was there. After checking the other rooms he quickly began grabbing everything he needed while making sure that nothing important had been stolen. His notes and sketches were still there, collections of newspaper clippings and journal entries, everything was still where he'd left it. It wasn't until he allowed himself to slow down that he noticed the tiny derringer sitting on his pillow, all polished silver with ivory grips.

Was it supposed to be a warning of some sort? Or a gift? Who'd left it there, and why? Those were questions that would just have to wait. After a moment's hesitation he grabbed the pistol and shoved it in his pocket, hefting his bags and leaving the apartment for good. His next stop would be Tunguska, along with whatever it was that had crashed there.

Action 1: Purchase a train ticket.
Action 2: Acquisitions 2d6t5 = 1 I'll snag the Derringer since two guns are better than one.
Bonus Action: Use the train ticket to double move into Tunguska.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Alright, about to process the turns but I have a few questions.

Lord Koth, you said you wanted to head to the Expedition site, but someone's already there and set to encounter it this turn, not to mention you're really far away. I see two good options for you right now, Go to the Amazon and hit up that Clue (and get +1 on your rolls because it's Wilderness), or stay in Buenos Aires and get a Boat ticket to help point you wherever you're going to head next.

Edit: Wait, I derp'd. Forgot you specified what you were going to do later. Doing Encounters now, please wait for my double post

Also for everyone unless otherwise specified I'm going to assume you want Major City Encounters over generic City Encounters.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 27, 2014

• Locked thread