Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Krysmphoenix posted:

Alright, about to process the turns but I have a few questions.

Lord Koth, you said you wanted to head to the Expedition site, but someone's already there and set to encounter it this turn, not to mention you're really far away. I see two good options for you right now, Go to the Amazon and hit up that Clue (and get +1 on your rolls because it's Wilderness), or stay in Buenos Aires and get a Boat ticket to help point you wherever you're going to head next.

Also for everyone unless otherwise specified I'm going to assume you want Major City Encounters over generic City Encounters.

A good point, as I hadn't noticed someone was right next to it. Might as well head to the Amazon then, and pick up the clue before it gets eaten by something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'm wondering if I should head to London to generate clues. I assume they spawn all over the place, not on London. I'd like to get the most mileage out of my special trade power.

Edit: on future turns, that is.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Clue tokens would be handy, I admit. My guy is good at kicking monster rear end but not so much the magic or investigation side of things and some re-rolls probably wouldn't hurt.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Given Yog's mechanics, we probably want everyone to be carting around at least one spell for safety, more for anyone spending more time on gate spaces. Opinions?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, that seems to be the name of the game...we need to go traipsing around portals to solve mysteries, but doing so requires us to lose spells or sanity, ergo spells are handy unless you want to slowly go crazy trying to stop bad poo poo from happening. My character only has 4 Sanity to begin with so every little bit counts. Fortunately it looks like just hanging around the green location spaces throws events at you that give you spells so Team America could potentially farm those if we need them.

I still need to figure out what my overall strategy should be for this game beyond "vaguely saunter towards the nearest monster."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Well the way you win is to solve the Mythos card thing. So currently what we need to do is this:

quote:

First Mystery: Void Between Worlds
It is said that long ago, Yog-Sothoth was imprisoned in a place utterly without existence, a strange void that occupies the space between dimensions.
As an encounter, an investigator on a space containing a Gate may travel to the void between worlds by drawing and resolving a Void Between Worlds Special Encounter
At the end of the Mythos Phase, if there are Eldritch tokens on this card equal to half Investigators (4), solve this Mystery
GM Note: Success on a Void Between Worlds Special Encounter will always close the Gate in addition to adding an Eldritch Token to the Mystery

We need to do 4 of these Mystery cards to win the game and we're on a timer since when the Mythos Deck runs out it's Game Over even if we haven't lost to something else horrible happening.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Right, get on the gate and do the thing (and if this is anything like Arkham Horror then we want to close gates regardless because having too many of those open is a Bad Thing), but being on a gate space drains your sanity and/or spells which is why Yog-Sothoh is a huge dick. We've got three people on the Arkham gate so god knows how that's going to play out, but if they manage to succeed but don't wind up with [half investigators] tokens on the mystery card then it looks like someone's going to Shanghai.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Before we get into the post proper, here's what's going down. We have 3 people in Arkham. That's cool but man does it mean I have to figure out how to handle things on these edge cases. When it comes to resolving special Encounters (Monsters, Gates, ect) I'm going to run them based on whoever is more competent for the job, and if anyone's equal going to just flip coins/roll dice to decide order.

So for Arkham, since we need to deal with the Cultist first, Diana is about the only person actually half-decent at combat, so she'll go first. Coin says Norman will go second, and Jaqueline third. I'm also going to assume you all want to take on the Mystery to close the Gate. There'll be time to get Spells later.

Arkham - (Diana, Norman, Jaqueline)

The old church erupts in a sickly orange light as Norman enters. “Yes! YES!” A man shouts, hidden under his cowl. “The past...the future...they are mine to control!” Space distorts before their eyes, revealing the space between worlds. The robed man turns around before Norman can get close, revealing his widen smile and eyes pulled too wide. “And you shall be the first sacrifice to our new master!”

Outside Jacqueline sees the light, and briefly remembers her vision. Already that thing she saw in her vision reaches into this world. But before she can enter, she briefly notices a young woman rush ahead, brandishing a knife and speaking in an unknown tongue

Diana recalls the magic words as best she can, reaching out with her left hand to unleash a curse upon the cultist. However in her rush she misspeaks one of the words, inflicting the spell upon herself.

(The Cultist has no Horror, so we skip that phase. Diana wanted to cast Wither so now's the time!)
Combat: Casting Wither: 5d6t5 0
(:ohdear: this is not off to a good start. No +3 Str for you, but we get to see the back of the card.)
Resolve the effect based on your test result:
0: The words must have been wrong. You suffer the damage you had hoped to inflict. Discard this card unless you gain an Internal Injury Condition.
1: The spell compacts and twists the target's body. Lose 1 Sanity.
2+: The magic ripples and surges through the target once more. You may reroll 1 die when resolving the Str test.
Then flip this card.
(Well crap. When you post your next turn, let me know if you're going to lose the spell or if I should toss you an Internal Injury Condition.)

The cultist laughs as he steps forward, watching Diana writhe in pain. “Foolish girl, how could you hope to master these powe--”

Combat: Str vs 1 damage, Cultist: 3d6t5 2
(Every success on your damage roll reduces the damage the Monster would inflict on you by one, and inflicts a hit against it. Fortunately the Cultist only does 1 damage and has 1 toughness so you take him out without receiving any damage. Defeating one of Yog-Sothoth's Cultists gives you 1 spell but also takes away 1 Sanity. Here's your full Wither, and the new spell you got.)
  • Wither (Incantation, During Combat test Lor to gain +3 Str for that Combat – then flip)
    (0: Discard this card or gain an Internal Injury Condition. 1: Lose 1 Sanity. 2+: Reroll 1 die during the Str test.) Declare before Combat
  • Blessing of Isis (Ritual, Action: Test Lor-1 to give an Investigator on your space a Blessed Condition. They can't be Blessed already. - then flip)
    (Back: Unknown)

His sentence is cut off as she suddenly rises up and sinks her knife in the cultist's heart, killing the man instantly. She takes a deep breath, perhaps to manage the pain from within, perhaps to calm her own heart of the atrocity she just committed. Regardless, she turns to the gate between worlds, crackling still and slowly growing. The old church shakes as the portal grows.

Quickly reading the cultist's notes (and tucking away one page for her own study later) what Diana feared becomes true. The gate the cultist summoned leads to the void between worlds...and the only way to close the gate is on the other side.

(If there are no more monsters left the Investigator is free to undergo an Encounter as normal. Since we're on a space with a Gate, this would normally be an Otherworld Encounter...but the active Mystery is more important and the special Encounters can close the gate just as well.)

Void Between Worlds Encounter - Diana posted:

Your fall through the void is interrupted by a dense tangle of spider webs. Although you cannot see anything solid the webs are attached to, you think you could use them to climb to safety. You struggle to free yourself from the thick strands (Str).
Void Between Worlds: Str test: 3d6t5 1 That's a pass.

Void Between Worlds Encounter posted:

You climb up, but the large spiders have sensed your presence. If your focus wavers, you'll never escape (Wil-1).
(Some tests will reduce your dice pool. However, you always have a dice pool of at least 1, so even though Diana only has 1 Will, she still gets to roll one die.)
Void Between Worlds: Wil-1 test: 1d6t5 1 And boy did we luck out.

If you pass, you return to reality; close this Gate and place 1 Eldritch token on the active Mystery
(1 down, 3 to go! :woop: )

Emerging victorious, Diana steps out of the portal as it closes behind her. Blue and red lights flash outside, as Diana quickly motions for Norman and Jacqueline to follow her out before the police investigate. When the police enter, they only see the cultist with Diana's knife still embedded in him, and the countless notes and arcane sigils used to create the gate to the void, and they are quick to pass it off as a madman testing his own mortality.

Meanwhile in a coffee shop not to far from the church, Diana quickly explains her actions to Jacqueline and Norman. Jacqueline in sympathetic, having known what was going on all along, but Norman is still horrified. Still, in the back of his mind he knows that if Diana did not step in just then, the cultist would have killed him. As they depart for the night, Diana returns to her motel to rest while Jacqueline and Norman decide they need a bit more information, and Jacqueline knows just the place.

Arkham Encounter – Jacqueline posted:

Ma Mathison shows you a journal left behind by one of the lodgers at her boarding house. The text makes several oblique references to the occult, but you think you can decipher it's meaning (Lor-1).
Arkham: Lor-1 test: 3d6t5 1

Arkham Encounter posted:

If you pass, you determine the lodger's true intent; gain 1 Incantation Spell and spawn 1 Clue.
(Here you go! The Clue spawns on Space 19 (North Pole), and you get a spell.)
  • Instill Bravery (Incantation, 1/round test Lor to prevent an Investigator from losing 2 Sanity - then flip)

As Jacqueline speaks to the owner of the boarding house, Norman takes a trip into the woods, seeking to see if the lodgers left behind something else.

Arkham Encounter – Norman posted:

Arcane rituals take place regularly in the nearby woods. You hope to uncover secrets left behind by the cult (Obs).
Arkham: Obs test: 3d6t5 2

Arkham Encounter posted:

If you pass, gain 1 Incantation Spell.
  • Healing Words (Incantation, When an investigator on your space Rests, test Lor to let them recover an additional Health and Sanity – then flip)

With their trip done, Norman finds a letter to him by his benefactor Senator Charlie Kane. While at first the letter is an apology for his recent unemployment, the tone of the letter suddenly changes, and Norman realizes there is something still in the envelope. Looks like his old friend wants him to look into something.
(You got Elder Sign bought for you!)
  • Elder Sign (2, Tricket – Magical, Reroll 1 die during a Wil test in Combat, and reduce the Monster's horror by 1.)

However, the moment Jacqueline touches the letter, she has a vision...something bad has just happened to Charlie.
(Someone else got a Condition! Gain a Clue, Charlie is Lost in Time and Space. Remember you only get one clue per round this way.)

Over in Sidney, Silas looks behind his shoulder and see's nothing. And yet the prickle on the back of his neck doesn't leave. He recalls an old friend who just might be able to help him with his premonitions.

City Research Encounter – Silas posted:

Asenath Waite seems familiar with the occult, but something about her is odd (Obs-1).
Research: Obs-1 test: 2d6t5 1

Research Encounter posted:

If you pass, you believe someone is controlling her, and you learn that her father was a wizard; gain this Clue
(Wow, that was simple. Add a clue to your list!)

Leo's trip to Colombia is simple, and without problems. While he takes his drink in the bub, he notices a group of people in the corner, talking about the comet over a game of pool. Noticing you watching, they offer to play with you. They don't know anything that you haven't heard already, and you win your game easily. Then his opponent asks for another game...with a wager.

City Encounter – Leo posted:

Grifters have chosen you to be their next mark. You plan on turning the tables with a few tricks of your own (Obs-1).
City: Obs-1: 2d6t5 1

City Encounter posted:

If you pass, you end up with the money and an impressive reputation; improve Inf.
(Well, that turned out well for you. Please update your stat line and list of possessions with the following. We're going to treat Skill Improvements as a possession to keep things visible. Remember you can only improve a skill twice!)
Lor:2 , Inf:2+1 , Obs:3 , Str:3+1 , Wil:3
  • Improved Influence (+1)

Senator Charlie Kane's secretary hands him an envelope, giving details of something strange happening in some of the seedier parts of San Francisco. With none of his reliable contacts around to investigate the situation, he decides a little trip to look around himself can't hurt.

San Francisco Encounter – Charlie posted:

The fabric of reality is weak in the seedy Tenderloin disctrict. As a result, many here suffer from the Black Madness. Very little of what they say can be understood (Lor-1).
San Francisco: Lor-1 test: 1d6t5 0

San Francisco Encounter posted:

If you fail, they drag you with them into the unknown; gain a Lost in Time and Space Condition.
(Well that was unexpected. Looks like you don't need to post a turn next time. Sorry man. :smith: Good news is Jacqueline peeks at the back of the card so we know what's going to happen to you. )
  • Lost in Time and Space (Restriction, Remove you Investigator token from the game board. You are unaffected by other game effects and cannot move or perform actions. Instead of resolving an encounter, flip this card.)
    (Back: Replace by Another. In the place between worlds, you encounter a being that can change its shape. The creature seems fascinated with you and asks you countless questions (Inf-1). If you pass, place your Investigator token on a space of your choice. If you fail, spawn 1 Gate and spawn the Doppelganger Epic Monster on that space; then place your Investigator token on a random space. - Then discard this card.)

There is more than just the postcard from Shanghai in Trish's hotel room. A package from her informant “The Senator.” Of all the things to send, she can't help but wonder when she'll find the use for Tear Gas. Trish stashes it in her bag before leaving to go visit Su Ni Hwan, who asks to meet not to far from her hotel.
(You already updated your possessions, go you!)

Instanbul Encounter - Trish posted:

Inside the loud hustle and bustle of the Grand Bazzar, you negotiate to find a skilled instructor to tutor you (Inf-1).
Instanbul Encounter: Inf-1 test: 2d6t5 2

Instanbul Encounter posted:

If you pass, improve 1 skill of your choice.
(Nice! Look above to see how I handled Skill Improvements, and chose which one to upgrade.)

Although the train ride to Tunguska is near empty, he has trouble checking into a hotel since the Soviets are uncomfortable allowing a foreigner to be near the area during this crisis. Not to mention the only hotel was not expecting such a rush in this cold frozen wilderness. However, he manages to find a room, and spares some time to investigate the crash site.

Expedition to Tunguska – Mark posted:

You encounter a group of Russian monks fleeing persecution. Something about them seems out of place, and you keep a watchful eye on them as they pass (Obs).
Expedition to Tunguska: Obs: 2d6t5 2

Expedition to Tunguska posted:

Seeing their singed robes, you recognize them as Nestarians. You are suddenly surrounded by flames and must jump through the fire to stop them (Wil-1).
Expedition to Tunguska: Wil-1: 3d6t5 2

Expedition to Tunguska posted:

If you pass, their ritual is interrupted; retreat Doom by 1.
(:psyboom: Okay, effects that retreat Doom are rare, because Doom generally moves in only one direction: to your doom.
You made the countdown go backwards before it started. Holy poo poo. I've never seen this happen before.)

(Taking a quick intermission to say that wow, that worked out pretty well for almost all of you. Though seriously, Charlie got one of the worst Conditions in the game. Losing a turn, especially for a support character like him sucks. Anyway, this is how Encounters are generally going to work in the future. And now it's time for the Mythos Phase. This is where things get worse.)

Mythos Card posted:

Advance the Omen: Green Comet -> Blue Constellations -> Red Eclipse -> Blue Constellations -> Green Comet
Doom: 14 → 15!?
Trigger all Reckonings
Spawn new Gates

(Alright. Here's what happens. Whenever Omen advances, we're going to advance Doom by 1 for each gate with the same symbol. The only open gate is in Shanghai, and that's Red, so Doom does not advance. However, Mark's expedition caused Doom to retreat, it actually goes backward to a higher number. I'm still baffled by this.

Some cards have effects that trigger on the Reckoning, and one of them can be seen on Yog-Sothoth's sheet. Reckoning goes in a specific order, Monsters, Ancient One, Mythos cards, Possessions and Conditions.
Gnoph-Keh: Each Investigator on this space loses 1 Health. No one triggers this.
Yog-Sothoth: Each Investigator on a space containing a Gate advances Doom by 1 unless they discard 1 Spell. No one triggers this.
Diana's (possible) Internal Injury would also trigger a Reckoning. I guess I probably should have resolved the spell effect before doing this part. I'll consider that my bad and give you a pass for now. In the future I'll pause between Encounter Phase and Mythos Phase to make you guys decide those kinds of decisions.

We have 8 Players, so we spawn 2 Gates each time a Mythos Card tells us to, and with it a monster on each one.
Tokyo (Blue) comes with a Cthonian...which instantly moves to the Heart of Africa.
Instanbul (Not Constantinople) (Green) comes with a Skeleton.)

Beyond time and space, the Ancient One howls into the infinite void. They are displeased. Not once but twice have these mortals interfered with their plans. Two more tears in the void are created, and Yog-Sothoth calls out into the blue planet for Their agents to do Their bidding...

High above the Antarctic sky, several stars change color mysteriously. The researchers at Miskatonic Outpost report back with this mysterious omen, as well as unknown howling coming from hidden caves further into the frozen wasteland.

Mythos Card - Arrests Made in Murder Case! posted:

You open the door of your hotel to find several stone-faced policemen. There's been a lot of unexplained deaths and nothing attracts suspicion like being a stranger.

Each Investigator on a City space with a Weapon possession tests (Inf). If they fail, they discard 1 Weapon possession and gain a Detained Condition.

When Trish returns to her hotel, she notices them holding her new can of tear gas in the lead detective's hand. Before she can get away an officer comes from behind with a pair of handcuffs.
Mythos: Inf test: 3d6t5 1
It takes a surprisingly long time to explain to the officer interrogating her that there's no way she could have killed someone with a sealed can of tear gas. After three hours of dealing with truly incompetent police officers, they let her go...but not before she sneaks back into their office to take her can of tear gas back.

While checking back on his boat and crew, Silas notices the police standing on the dock surrounding a body they dragged up from the sea floor. He initially isn't suspicious, until the wind pulls at his coat just right to reveal the stick of recently purchased dynamite in his coat pocket.
Mythos: Inf test: 3d6t5 2
Somehow they believe his story that he's testing out an new method of fishing, and surprisingly his crew backs up his story out of the blue. With a shrug, the detective returns to the corpse to bag it up and take it to the morgue for investigation.

Diana, Jacqueline, and Norman each breathe a sigh of relief when the police finally leave. As it turns out, all they wanted was to ask some questions about the incident at the church. Since they find no weapons on any of the three of them, they aren't labeled as suspects and are free to go.
(You had no weapons, so you're safe, despite actually being guilty of murder.)

It takes the GRU several days to get to Tunguska by train, hindered further by the amount of time it takes for them to notice that a former foreign soldier entered their territory. By the time they arrive, he's already long gone, his mission complete.
(Tunguska is a Wilderness space, so you're safe, despite actually being guilty of murder.)

Ancient One: Yog-Sothoth, The Lurker at the Threshold
Omen: Green Comet -> Blue Constellations -> Red Eclipse -> Blue Constellations -> Green Comet
Doom: 15!?
Mythos Deck: 15 Cards Remain
Reckoning: Each Investigator on a space containing a Gate advances Doom by 1 unless they discard 1 Spell.

First Mystery: Void Between Worlds – Progress: 1 / 4 Eldritch Tokens
It is said that long ago, Yog-Sothoth was imprisoned in a place utterly without existence, a strange void that occupies the space between dimensions.
As an encounter, an investigator on a space containing a Gate may travel to the void between worlds by drawing and resolving a Void Between Worlds Special Encounter
At the end of the Mythos Phase, if there are Eldritch tokens on this card equal to half Investigators (4), solve this Mystery
GM Note: Success on a Void Between Worlds Special Encounter will always close the Gate in addition to adding an Eldritch Token to the Mystery

Board Information
Active Gates: Shanghai (Red), Tokyo (Blue), Instanbul (Green)
Clues: The Amazon, 12, 15, 19
Expedition: Antarctica
Monsters:
  • (Himalayas) Gnoph-Keh: Wil vs 1 Horror, Str-2 vs 2 Damage, 3 Toughness. Spawns in Himalayas
    Reckoning: Each investigator on this space loses 1 Health.
  • (Heart of Africa) Cthonian: Wil-1 vs 2 Horror, Str-2 vs 3 Damage, 4 Toughness. Spawns in Heart of Africa.
  • (Istanbul) Skeleton, Wil vs 2 Horror, Str-2 vs 1 Damage, 2 Toughness. If you defeat this Monster during Combat, recover 1 Sanity.
Asset Reserve:

• 1: Police Ledger, Item, When you Rest, you may also attempt to decipher the ledger (Obs). If you pass, discard this card and gain 1 Clue
  • 1: Cat Burglar, Ally, Action: Roll 1 die: on a 5+ gain 1 Item/Trinket from the Reserve. On a 1, discard this card.
  • 3: Conspiracy Theorist, Ally, Gain +2 Obs during Research Encounters. Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 4+, gain 1 Clue.
  • 4: Agency Quarentine, Service, When gained, choose a space. Deal 4 damage to each Monster on that space, then discard this card.
  • 0: Bank Loan, Service, When performing Acquire Assets, gain a Debt Condition to add 2 successes.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 27, 2014

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, that seems to be the name of the game...we need to go traipsing around portals to solve mysteries, but doing so requires us to lose spells or sanity, ergo spells are handy unless you want to slowly go crazy trying to stop bad poo poo from happening. My character only has 4 Sanity to begin with so every little bit counts. Fortunately it looks like just hanging around the green location spaces throws events at you that give you spells so Team America could potentially farm those if we need them.

I still need to figure out what my overall strategy should be for this game beyond "vaguely saunter towards the nearest monster."
Yeah, in my experience only like half of the characters needs to be devoted to Mystery Wrangling at any particular time. And with Yog-Sothoth it's generally the people with Clues and Spells to handle those Mysteries. Fortunately, the current Mystery just needs you to close Gates using a different set of cards, which is actually quite simple in comparison. Gates shouldn't be left open, so people are going to close them anyway. Doing things to improve yourself or poo poo like the Expedition is a good thing to do if you don't have any other ideas.

mistaya posted:

We need to do 4 of these Mystery cards to win the game and we're on a timer since when the Mythos Deck runs out it's Game Over even if we haven't lost to something else horrible happening.
Well, 3 Mysteries as long as Doom stays above 0, but at the rate we're going... :psyduck:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Err, not that I mind more Observation, but didn't that encounter give me a boost to Influence? Or did I not pass it and more Observation was a consolation prize?

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

Err, not that I mind more Observation, but didn't that encounter give me a boost to Influence? Or did I not pass it and more Observation was a consolation prize?

...no, that's my typo. You get Influence, not Observation.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Mark Harrigan, The Soldier – Kai Tave
Space: Tunguska
Health: 8/8 , Sanity: 4/4
Lor:1 , Inf:2 , Obs:2 , Str:4 , Will:4
Conditions: Debt
  • Action: You and 1 monster on your space each lose 1 Health
  • You cannot become Delayed or Detained unless you choose to
  • .38 Revolver (1, Item – Weapon , +2 Str during Combat)
  • Kerosene (1, Item, Discard to gain +5 Str during one Combat) Declare before Combat
  • .18 Derringer (Trinket - Weapon, Add 1 to the result of 1 die when resolving a Str test during Combat)
  • Conspiracy Theorist, Ally, Gain +2 Obs during Research Encounters. Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 4+, gain 1 Clue.

Well that was a hell of a thing.

Getting into Tunguska had been easy. Sneaking past the Russian patrols was a bit trickier, but nothing Mark couldn't handle. He was quietly glad that he hadn't bought that rifle after all...he doubted that the Russians would look too favorably upon an American ex-soldier tromping around their backyard loaded for bear.

Once he'd snuck past the guards, though, the area was just...deserted. The patrols only dared venture so close to the blast site which helped him cover more ground quickly, but it was clear that something unnatural had settled over the forest, a sickly stillness. No soldiers, but no animals either. Tunguska was a frozen and miserable place, sure, but this was something that went deeper than the cold.

He followed the path in silence for another hour until he heard the chanting.

Creeping towards the clearing where the meteorite had landed, he found the source of it...monks. A gaggle of bushy-bearded, mad-eyed monks in singed robes, standing around a scorched crater blasted into the tundra. Whatever was inside the crater was blazing like a bonfire, though fire didn't generally look quite so sinister. The language they were chanting in wasn't Russian either. What was that...

Somebody's shouting snapped him out of his reverie. One of the monks had spotted him, was pointing right at him. Suddenly the trees surrounding him erupted into flames, branches trunks cracking in the sudden blaze. His hand found its way to his revolver, and without pause to reconsider he stepped back and took a running leap through the flames.

It was late when he finally made it back to the hotel, his coat singed in places and the scent of smoke clinging thickly to him. He reached into his pocket, fumbling for a battered pack of cigarettes and pulling out a book of matches to light one before reconsidering, shaking his head and tossing them aside. There hadn't been any monsters to speak of, but Mark had learned two things by coming here. First, whatever was in that crater he was pretty sure it was no ordinary meteorite. And second, bullets killed crazy Russian fire-monks just fine.

He spent the next couple of days sifting for clues amongst the charred collection of notes and pages he'd managed to salvage from the ritual he'd stopped. Most of it was beyond him, baffling nonsense in languages he couldn't begin to guess at, but a few pages showed what looked like constellations and star charts. Fortunately what with the meteorite and all there was a wave of stargazer fever sweeping over Tunguska and with a little idle conversation (and more than a little vodka) he managed to find out what the charts were referencing.

Eastern Russia, practically the edge of the continent. Of course it would be...it couldn't be somewhere warm. Taking a trip to Tunguska on a hunch had been one thing, but if he was going to keep pushing on like this he was going to need more than a good coat and a .38 revolver. Speaking of which, he'd need to get some more bullets while he was here. Mad Russian monks didn't go down easy.

The bank had been suspiciously willing to fund his "scientific endeavor," but he could worry about that later. What was more troubling was the man from the hotel, the one that had told him where the charts were pointing, had showed up the day he was supposed to set out. Pyotr Yevgeny Balisov ("Call me Pyotr.") had apparently invited himself along for the ride and wouldn't take no for an answer. The man had proven useful, Mark had to admit, and it would be helpful having another pair of eyes around. Just as long as he didn't get in the way. Or try to set him on fire.

Action 1: Acquisitions 2d6t5 = 1 BUT in addition to this I'm also taking a Bank Loan (dun dun dunnnn) for two extra successes to purchase the Conspiracy Theorist ally.
Action 2: Move to Space 19. Gonna investigate the poo poo out of that clue.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 27, 2014

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Trish Scarborough, The Spy – Mistaya
Space: Istanbul
Health: 7/7 , Sanity: 5/5
Lor:1 , Inf:3 , Obs:4 , Str:3 , Wil:2+1
  • Action: If you do not have any clues, gain 1 Clue
  • If an Investigator on your space spends a Clue to reroll a die, they may reroll 2 dice instead.
  • .45 Automatic (2, Item – Weapon, +3 Str during Combat)
  • Tear Gas, Item – Weapon, Discard to reroll 2 dice during a Str test in combat and reduce the Monster's damage by 2
  • 1 Clue
  • +1 Will
  • 1 Train ticket

Using that upgrade to purchase +1 will, the better to stay sane with.
Action 1: Get me a train ticket.
Action 2: Null, gonna shoot this skeleton and try for the Mystery gate card.

Trish patted the carpet bag containing the tear gas and smiled to herself as she left the train station. If the Police had to be nosy about something it was better that than the old .45 that'd been her Papa's back in the war. The other war. She headed towards the markets, hoping to spot a sale or a friend. Then... everything stopped. Something wrong had just happened, close by. Something that reminded her of Tunguska in all the wrong ways. "Goddamnit is it following me? Does it know?" she whispered, reaching for the .45...

mistaya fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 27, 2014

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Leo Anderson, The Expedition Leader – Lord Koth
Space: Buenos Aires
Health: 6/6 , Sanity 6/6
Lor:2 , Inf:2+1 , Obs:3 , Str:3+1 , Wil:3
  • Improved Influence (+1)
  • Action: Test Inf to gain 1 Ally from the reserve or discard pile.
  • If you are on a Wilderness space, Investigators on your space roll +1 die for tests
  • Hired Muscle (2, Ally, Gain +1 Str and reroll 1 die during Str tests) Used automatically

Jauntily waving to the marks who'd thought they could scam him as he walked out the door, Leo contemplated what he'd heard on the radio as their game had been concluding. They were reporting that the situation in Tunguska had been turned over to the experts and were being dealt with, but now it seemed there were mysterious happenings in the sky above Antarctica - someplace that was reasonably near to him. Stopping at the passenger terminal to purchase a boat ticket he paused, perhaps he should take one more look at those ruins he'd found to see if he could glean any new insights? It'd delay him a bit, but it was in the right direction. Nodding his head and gesturing to his enforcer, Leo started organizing one more journey into the rainforest.

Action 1: Buy a boat ticket.
Action 2: Move to the Amazon.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 27, 2014

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

Action - Acquire Ally: 2d6 5 - (Results were 2 & 3. Added them together since I forgot to specify)
Off to a good start already.
Action 1: Buy a boat ticket.
Action 2: Move to the Amazon.

I see three actions there. Since you want to go to the Amazon, I think you could do without the boat ticket for now.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Krysmphoenix posted:

I see three actions there. Since you want to go to the Amazon, I think you could do without the boat ticket for now.

That Acquire Ally roll actually looks like a copy-paste error from Lord Koth's first turn, it's the same Orokos link and everything.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Norman Withers, The Astronomer – Jivjov
Space: Arkham
Health:54/5 , Sanity: 7/7
Lor:3 , Inf:1 , Obs:3 , Str:2 , Wil:4
  • Action: Spend 2 clues to discard 1 Monster on a space with a Gate
  • 1/round, you may spend 1 Sanity instead of 1 Clue
  • Feed The Mind (Ritual, Action: Test Lor-1 to improve 1 skill of your choice for an investigator on your space, then flip)

Norman thought long and hard about his next move...sealing this rifts between worlds was obviously the way to go...and the closest one was all the way in Tokyo. After a solid night's sleep, the answer came to Norman...simple planning and arranging of travel itinerary would let him make amazing time across the globe. On his way to the train station, Norman stopped off and booked passage on a boat to Tokyo departing from San Francisco. After that it was as simple as hopping the train, then grabbing a boat. Sadly, the trip would take longer than anticipated...it would be another day before he actually arrived in Tokyo.

Action 1: Bought Boat Ticket
Action 2: Moved to Space 6, Trained to San Fran, Boated to Space 2.

Headed to Tokyo to hopefully close a gate there.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Hey, I'm up way early due to insomnia. I take it Lost In Time and Space is a non-common condition, but has no backside text (hence I get a clue token, but no additional info)?

Edit: I should really just be asking "what is a common condition?"

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 27, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Jacqueline Fine, The Psychic – Green Intern
Health: 4/4 , Sanity: 8/8
Lor:4 , Inf:2 , Obs:3 , Str:1 , Wil:3
  • Action: You may trade any number of Clues with any Investigator
  • 1/round when another Investigator gains a non-Common Condition, reveal the back and gain 1 Clue
  • Flesh Ward (Incantation, 1/round test Lor to prevent an Investigator from losing 2 Health, then flip)
    (Back: Unknown) Will autocast to save a life – otherwise declare before end of turn if want to cast on person taking most damage
  • Instill Bravery (Incantation, 1/round test Lor to prevent an Investigator from losing 2 Sanity - then flip)
  • Police Ledger, Item, When you Rest, you may also attempt to decipher the ledger (Obs). If you pass, discard this card and gain 1 Clue
  • 1 Clue (Dreams of Yog-Sothoth)
  • 1 Clue (Charlie Kane's Lost in Time and Space)

Jacqueline sits in a cafe near Miskatonic U., watching students go by with stacks of books, papers, and everything else that they think will bring them greater knowledge. If they knew what secrets really lay beyond their classroom walls...well, they would likely think twice about their thesis projects. Jacqueline feels the draft as the door to the cafe opens. It is the man she's here to meet. A weaselly sort, but honest in his trade so long as you can pay. They make their trade and he leaves as quickly as he came.

The police ledger was rather startlingly easy to acquire, all things told. Perhaps the Arkham officers were getting frazzled by all of the strange goings-on recently. Regardless, the young psychic knew that there was something about this document in particular that held a clue to the struggle against the unknowable forces beating down on the fringes of the world. After a quick read, there wasn't anything to be seen out of the ordinary in the ledger. Perhaps this would require a more esoteric avenue of study.

Action 1: Acquire Assets, taking the Police Ledger.
Acquire Assets: 1d6t5 1

Action 2: Rest, and try to decipher the Ledger.
Observation: 3d6t5 0

(:stare:)Succeed on the hard roll and fail the easy roll. Ready for another encounter, I suppose.

Edit: Reformatted my inventory

Edit2: I should not have Healing Words.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 30, 2014

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

That Acquire Ally roll actually looks like a copy-paste error from Lord Koth's first turn, it's the same Orokos link and everything.

Yeah, it was indeed a copy-paste error. It's been fixed.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Green Intern posted:

Hey, I'm up way early due to insomnia. I take it Lost In Time and Space is a non-common condition, but has no backside text (hence I get a clue token, but no additional info)?

Edit: I should really just be asking "what is a common condition?"

Debt is the only "common" Condition because it has the Common sub-type. And I remembered that you got the Clue, I just forgot you get to peek at the back! Lemme fix that

EDIT:
  • Lost in Time and Space (Restriction, Remove you Investigator token from the game board. You are unaffected by other game effects and cannot move or perform actions. Instead of resolving an encounter, flip this card.)
    (Back: Replaced by Another. In the place between worlds, you encounter a being that can change its shape. The creature seems fascinated with you and asks you countless questions (Inf-1). If you pass, place your Investigator token on a space of your choice. If you fail, spawn 1 Gate and spawn the Doppelganger Epic Monster on that space; then place your Investigator token on a random space. - Then discard this card.)

Well...to be honest not like knowing the back of this Condition helps at all...

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 27, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

You will meet a tall dark stranger, and that stranger is you.

Edit: is there any reason to keep my clue tokens separate in my inventory?

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Silas Marsh, The Sailor – stevey666
Space: Sydney
Lor:1 , Inf:3 , Obs:3 , Str:3 , Wil:3
  • Action: Move 1 space along a Ship path, then perform 1 additional action.
  • If you are on a Sea space, Investigators on your space roll +1 die for tests
  • Fishing Net (2, Item, Reroll 1 die for Str tests during Combat; Reduce Monster damage by 1) Used automatically
  • Dynamite, Item – Weapon, Action: Discard to deal 3 damage to each Monster on your space
  • Lantern, Item, 1/round, roll 1 additional die when resolving a test (Will save for last roll on your encounter card, otherwise state if you want it used earlier) gained this round
  • 1 ship travel token spent this round
  • 1 clue

Asenath is lost to him now, Silas knows that her father will never relinquish control. He has to get out of here. He is angry.. but also hungry. Hungry for Chinese food. Silas is drawn to Shanghai, to close something that he knows is called a gate.. but he doesn't know HOW he knows this.

Action 1: 'Component Action: Move 1 space along a Ship path, then perform 1 additional action.' Move to space 20.
Action 1a: Travel to Shanghai
Action 2: Acquire Assets
Acquire Assets: 3d6t5 1

Acquired: 1: Lantern, Item, 1/round, roll 1 additional die when resolving a test (Will save for last roll on your encounter card, otherwise state if you want it used earlier)

stevey666 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 28, 2014

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Diana Staley, The Redeemed Cultist – Mykkel
Space: 7 (Central America) > Arkham
Lor:4 , Inf:2 , Obs:3 , Str:3 , Wil:1
  • Action: If there is a Cultist on your space either discard all Monsters or move the Cultist to any other space.
  • Reduce the horror of Monsters you encounter to 1.
  • Arcane Manuscripts (1, Item – Tome, +1 Lor during Spells)
  • Wither (Incantation, During Combat test Lor to gain +3 Str for that Combat – then flip))
    (0: Discard this card or gain an Internal Injury Condition. 1: Lose 1 Sanity. 2+: Reroll 1 die during the Str test.) Declare before Combat
  • Blessing of Isis (Ritual, Action: Test Lor-1 to give an Investigator on your space a Blessed Condition. They can't be Blessed already. - then flip)
yeah hit me with a condition, I'd rather not lose Wither.

Diana awakens in the morning, rested but still in pain. She studies the page she took from the cultist, trying not to remember the sensation of the knife grating against bone. If she read this properly, the spell offers protection for another close by. The preparations are simple, the young woman she met last night would probably welcome a little extra protection. Diana gathered her supplies, and chanted the words over the dove feather she had in her bag of tricks. She could feel the power leave her and into the feather. Now to meet Miss Fine at the cafe, and convince her she should keep this trinket on her person.

Action 1: Buy a ship ticket.
Action 2: Blessing of Isis (Jacqueline Fine) Blessing of Isis : 4d6t5 2

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Green Intern posted:

Edit: is there any reason to keep my clue tokens separate in my inventory?

No. The flavor I've been placing with the clues is unimportant I just like doing it because, well, it's flavorful. All clue tokens are 100% identical.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Mykkel posted:

yeah hit me with a condition, I'd rather not lose Wither.

Action 2: Blessing of Isis (Jacqueline Fine) Blessing of Isis : 4d6t5 2

Alright. Here's what you get. First the spell's back, then I'll give you the list parts.

0: The goddess has been angered, and her wrath is terrible to behold. The chosen investigator gains a Cursed Condition.
1: You feel an almighty power surge through you and it is too much for your mind to handle. Lose 1 Sanity.
2+: The goddess smiles upon your cause. No additional effect.

(Back: 0: Target is cursed. 1: You lose 1 Sanity. 2+: No additional Effect)
  • Internal Injury (Injury, When you Rest, roll 1 die. On a 5+, discard this card. Reckoning: Test Str. If you fail, flip this card.)

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

stevey666 posted:

Acquire Assets: 3d6t5 1

(Will wait to see updated asset list to confirm what is being acquired)

Oh jeez, I'm just forgetting to look at this stuff closely today. Catching stuff on some posts but not on ones before it.

Anyway, Kai Tave and Green Intern got the Conspiracy Theorist (with a debt) and the Police Ledger, so here's the updated Asset List for you to pick from. Let me know what you want, and then I'll get the Encounters rolling.

• 1: Lantern, Item, 1/round, roll 1 additional die when resolving a test (Will save for last roll on your encounter card, otherwise state if you want it used earlier)
  • 1: Cat Burglar, Ally, Action: Roll 1 die: on a 5+ gain 1 Item/Trinket from the Reserve. On a 1, discard this card.
  • 3: Enchanted Blade, Item - Weapon, Gain +1 Wil and +3 Str during Combat
  • 4: Agency Quarentine, Service, When gained, choose a space. Deal 4 damage to each Monster on that space, then discard this card.
  • 0: Bank Loan, Service, When performing Acquire Assets, gain a Debt Condition to add 2 successes.

By the way, Kai Tave, I'll wait until I do encounter stuff to define your Debt card, but off the top of my head you can attempt to remove it with an Action using a Inf test, and it flips over on a Reckoning when you debt comes to get collected. I don't think I mentioned this before, but there are multiple copies of Conditions and Spells. Each copy has the same front but different backs which players are not supposed to look at until told to flip it over. Some Conditions like your Debt and Charlie's Lost in Time and Space vary extremely heavily on the backside, so sometimes you might get a easy Debt that doesn't cost much or can avoid penalty by passing a test, others get downright vicious.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Thank yas, I've grabbed the lantern and have updated my previous post

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Bring it on :black101:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

That lantern is awesome.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken: the Blessed condition means that I roll a successes for Tests on 4, 5, or 6? I will update my next post accordingly with the info.

I'll be a little bit scarce tomorrow but I will make sure to check the thread with my phone when I can. I'm driving back home after spending this week with my parents.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Space 19, Eastern Russia

(Here's your Debt by the way.)
Local Action: Test Inf. If you pass, discard this card. Reckoning: Some men have come to collect on your debt, flip this card.
  • Debt (Deal – Common, Local Action: Test Inf to discard this card. Reckoning: Flip this card.)
    Back: (Unknown)

The notes Mark reads seems to indicate a few places across the world where the cultists learned their information. The small hut in Eastern Russia is the closest to him, so he heads off there with his new friend Pyotr.

Wilderness Research Encounter - Mark posted:

The hermit's cabin has lead pendulums in bottles that ring when magic is near. The sound is intolerable to a sane mind. If you have at least 1 Spell, lose 2 Sanity. You talk to the hermit about Yog-Sothoth (Inf-1)
Research: Inf-1 test: 1d6t5 0
(There's no text for failure. The only thing that would have happened if you succeeded was gaining the clue.)

The talk with the hermit doesn't prove of much use, since the man is deranged and clearly losing his mind...but at least now Mark has a name to attach all of this nonsense to: Yog-Sothoth.

Instanbul

Trish quietly walked through the streets of Istanbul, gun in hand. After dealing with the police yesterday, she didn't want to cause alarm by firing at her stalker in the public, so she quietly moves to the outskirts of the city. The presence never leaves her, although she notices that no one actually following her. Upon passing by a graveyard, she notices the strange feeling intensify as an unholy green light erupts from the mausoleum...and out walks the dead, unsatisfied with their grave.

Combat: Wil vs 2 Horror, Skeleton: 3d6t5 3
Trish does not hesitate for a moment. She does not question why the dead walk, or how such fragile bones are able to hold themselves upright with no flesh to keep them arranged. She merely fires her gun.
Combat: Str-2 vs 1 Damage, Skeleton: 4d6t5 3
Three shots embed themselves cleanly into the skeleton's skull, revealing an arcane sigil as it fades away into black smoke. Trish simply blows the smoke off her .45 Automatic, and enters the mausoleum as the world changes before her eyes.

Void Between Worlds Encounter - Trish posted:

You should not be here, and a hound of tindalos will hunt you down until it eliminates the alien element in this void! You hear it from your hiding place and try not to cry out in panic (Wil-1).
Void Between Worlds: Wil-1 test: 2d6t5 0 :ohdear:

Despite your best efforts, you shout and run as fast as you can. The hound catches you and drags you forward in time.

Trish wakes up outside the mausoleum, unsure of what happened. The vile energy from within still remains, and above her in the sky there is a sudden eclipse of the sun. She leaves for now to return better prepared.

(Omen advances to Red Eclipse suddenly. There is one active gate with the Red symbol on it, and Doom advances back to 14.)

The Amazon

Leo calls upon his bulky companion, and treks deep into the wilderness. When he arrives at the ruins he wanted to investigate, he realizes that things have changed...

Wilderness Research Encounter - Leo posted:

You spot a grave marked with Silver Twilight iconography that seems familiar (Lor+1)
Research: Lor+1 test: 3d6t5 0
(No text for failure again. If you're curious, passing would have given you the option of spawning a gate to get the Clue...possibly not worth it.)

Leo grumbles, pulls out a washcloth and clears away the symbol. Stupid vandals.

Space 2 (Hawaii)

Norman quietly spends his time on the ship passing through the Pacific catching up on his reading when the boat suddenly stops. He talks to the captain who points ahead to a mysterious ship ahead that has not responded by radio. Some of the captains men are going to take a look, and Norman's curiosity gets the better of him.

Sea Encounter - Norman posted:

The ship ahead of you seems abandoned, but now you see that it is crewed entirely by ghostly figures. You try to discern what ship this had once been and what happened to it (Lore).
Sea: Lore test: 3d6t5 1

Sea Encounter posted:

If you pass, the spectral captain grants you aid; gain 1 Clue or improve Wil
(Wow, lucked out. As we discussed, you chose the +1 Will. Too bad this doesn't make Norman any less nutty.)

Akrham

Giving Jacqueline the feather to hold on to, Diana chants in what sounds like Egyptian, and a light shines on Jacqueline. Something about this little lucky charm seems...truly lucky. It does not however assist Jacqueline understand the detective's chicken scratch any faster though.

(gently caress. Yeah. Blessed. When you're blessed, you roll Xd6t4 instead, since 4's now give you success as well. But your Police Ledger roll was all 3's so...yeah, too bad. You'll get your chance later. Also note, Blessed happened to you, so you don't get a Clue or get to see the back. A pity.)

When Jacqueline returns to her hotel, she gets a phone call. The unknown woman knows Jacqueline's name, and demands to speak in person.

Arkham Encounter - Jacqueline posted:

A fortune teller in Independence Square warns you of dire events. You try to interpret her worlds (Lore).
Arkham: Lor test: 4d6t4 3

Arkham Encounter posted:

If you pass, you discern that you ultimately survive; gain a Blessed Condition
:aaaaa: Two blesses in one turn? Well, when you have Blessed and get Blessed again, you flip your first one instead, let's see what's there...

Light of Kthanid posted:

In your moment of need, the light of Kthanid shines down upon you, filling your heart with courage and hope. Retreat Doom by 1. Then flip this card.
  • Blessed (Boon, Count test successes on 4+ instead. If you gain Blessed again, flip this card instead. If you gain Cursed, discard both cards. Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 2-, discard this card.)
    (Back: Light of Kthanid: Retreat Doom by 1.)
:psyboom: :psyboom:
(loving Doom 15 AGAIN?
I...I give up.
I also want to remind people that Diana's spell only works on people who aren't Blessed already. So no, you can't farm this poo poo to break the game.
One more reminder, I actually screwed up Blessed before. On the Reckoning thing, you discard it, not flip it. Copy and paste my version in this post since it's correct and now updated.)

Happy with her bestowed gift, Diana travels to an old location to her for information on the occult. An olde, but a goode, one might say.

Arkham Encounter - Diana posted:

Inside Ye Olde Magick Shoppe, Miriam Beecher talks to you about the finer points of the occult (Lor).
Arkham: Lor test: 4d6t5 0

Arkham Encounter posted:

If you fail, you lose track of time and can't seem to remember when you departed; gain an Amnesia Condition.
(Yeesh, maybe you should have blessed yourself.)
  • Amnesia (Madness, When you Rest, roll 1 die. On a 5+, discard this card. Reckoning: Test Wil. If you fail, flip this card.)
    (Back: Unknown.)

Shanghai

Holding his cheap but intricate paper lantern high, Silas navigates his boat down the canal lit by countless similar lanterns. The sight is absolutely breathtaking. It literally takes Silas' breath away as he navigates under a bridge, and the red lights from the lanterns around him intensify until he finds himself someplace new.

Void Between Worlds Encounter - Silas posted:

From this bizarre place between worlds, you can catch a glimpse of all worlds and all times. You have an epiphany and search for a moment of the Inner Circle of the Silver Twilight Lodge to observe (Obs-1).
Void Between Worlds: Obs-1 test: 2d6t5 1

Void Between Worlds posted:

You watch the wizard study, hoping to learn a ritual that will return you home (Lore).
Void Between Worlds: Lor: 1d6t5 0
Void Between Worlds: Reroll 1 die: 1d6t5 0

Void Between Worlds posted:

If you fail, you tamper with powers beyond your control; gain a Cursed Condition.
Silas comes out from under the bridge, with the Solar Eclipse blazing red light directly down on him, and he feels as though the world turned against him while he was away.
(:smith: Well crap. Meet Cursed, Blessed evil twin brother. While you're Cursed, you roll Xd6t6 as only 6's count as successes.)
  • Cursed (Bane, Count test successes only 6+ instead. If you gain Cursed again, flip this card instead. If you gain Blessed, discard both cards. Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 2-, discard this card.)

Lost In Time And Space

Replaced by Another posted:

In the place between worlds, you encounter a being that can change its shape. The creature seems fascinated with you and asks you countless questions (Inf-1).
Replaced by Another: Inf-1 test: 4d6t5 0
Replaced by Another: Reroll 1 die: 1d6t5 0

The unenlightened masses, they cannot make the judgement call
Give up free will forever their voices won't be heard at all

Charlie cannot remember how long he's been here. A minute? Eons? A week? It all passes the same to him. Around him the voices won't leave his head. Then he realizes the voices aren't in his head. Another version of himself stand before him.

Display obedience, while never stepping out of line
And blindly swear allegiance let your country control your mind
(Let your country control your soul)

After a few questions, Charlie realizes what's going, and the man before him smiles wickedly. "I don't have time for this."

Live in ignorance, and purchase your happiness
When blood and sweat is the real cost thinking ceases, the truth is lost

The man stomps onto the ground and pulls the energies of the space around them into his own body, growing in size.

Don’t you worry you’ll be told exactly what to do
I give my people the lives they need, the righteous will succeed

Without warning he charges forward and lifts up Charlie by his neck. "I could break a president in two," he says before punting Charlie into the air.

The fires of greed will burn the weak so we’ll make freedom obsolete
Making whole the fabric of society collective consciousness controlled as you will see

Some unseen gravity slows Charlie down, and pulls him back to his clone. "Don't gently caress with this senator!" A light flashes some distance away and the clone kicks Charlie into it. With a grunt of satisfaction, Senator Kane turns away and steps into his own blue portal to emerge in Buenos Aires

Replaced by Another posted:

If you fail, spawn 1 Gate and spawn the Doppelganger Epic Monster on that space; then place your Investigator token on a random space. Then discard this card.
(The Doppelganger spawns in Buenos Aires with it's gate. Charlie ends up in space 11. The Doppelganger is an Epic Monster and is NOT to be taken lightly.
However, somewhat appropriately, the Enchanted Blade is also up for sale...)

(Well, that turn could have gone better but we had some good parts. Two failed gate closings, and we have another Gate to deal with on top of that, AND our first Epic Monster.

Jacqueline, let me know who's back of any card you want to look at, Mark's Debt, Diana's Amnesia, or Silas' curse. Either way, gain a Clue for one of those. Also, let me know how comfortable you are with Flesh Ward and Instill Bravery in case anyone is stupid to go against Senator Kane.

But that can wait until after the Mythos Phase, since no time-critical decisions need to be made.)

Mythos Card posted:

Spawn Clues - Space 1, 2, 8, The Himalayas
(Huh? Only Clues? And no Omen? That means...oh no...)

"What kind of fool carries around a stick of dynamite anyway..." the officer mumbles to himself, walking back to his office as he sips on a cup of coffee.
*tick tock tick tock*
"Huh? What's that?" The officer looks around, trying to find the source of the ticking sound. As he turns back to face the way he was going, he nearly runs headfirst into a much taller gentleman, with two more similarly dressed gentlemen standing beind him.
"Excuse me, good sir. We are here to ask you some questions about that Sailor you spoke to a couple days ago. Where is he?"
*tick tock tick tock*
"Huh? Where is he? How would I know? I haven't seen him in a week! As far as I know he got a boat ticket out of this place."
"A boat ticket? Then he is on the move. Then tell me, where was he headed?"
"Headed? I don't remember, I barely spoke to the guy!"
*tick tock tick tock*
"And will you do something about that stupid watch of yours?"
"Excuse me?"
"Yeah, your watch, it's too loud!"
*tick tock tick tock*
"No, you said you don't remember, you seem to have forgotten then?"
"I guess so...why does it matter?"
*tick tock tick tock*
The tall gentlemen turns to walk away, as his two companions step forward and grab the officer by the arm to follow.
"H-hey! Hey! What's going on here!"
"Then we will make you remember."

Lost Knowledge posted:

Your contact in the capital is hesitant to speak about those called “The Watches.” He says they work for a number of different governments, but answer to some other authority

When this card enters play, spawn the Tick Tock Men Epic Monster on space 21, and place 3 Eldritch Tokens on this card. When it is defeated, solve this Rumor.
When there are no Eldritch tokens on this card, discard all clues on the game board, then each investigator discards all clues.

Reckoning: Discard 1 Eldritch Token from this card.

Ancient One: Yog-Sothoth, The Lurker at the Threshold
Omen: Green Comet -> Blue Constellations -> Red Eclipse -> Blue Constellations -> Green Comet
Doom: 15!? -- Seriously, how do you keep doing this?
Mythos Deck: 14 Cards Remain
Reckoning: Each Investigator on a space containing a Gate advances Doom by 1 unless they discard 1 Spell.

First Mystery: Void Between Worlds – Progress: 1 / 4 Eldritch Tokens

Active Rumor: Lost Knowledge - Progress: 3 / 3 Eldritch Tokens Remain
Your contact in the capital is hesitant to speak about those called “The Watches.” He says they work for a number of different governments, but answer to some other authority
When this card enters play, spawn the Tick Tock Men Epic Monster on space 21, and place 3 Eldritch Tokens on this card. When it is defeated, solve this Rumor.
When there are no Eldritch tokens on this card, discard all clues on the game board, then each investigator discards all clues.
Reckoning: Discard 1 Eldritch Token from this card.

Board Information
Active Gates: Shanghai (Red), Tokyo (Blue), Buenos Aires (Blue), Instanbul (Green)
Clues: 1, 2, 8, 12, 15, 19, The Amazon, The Himalaya
Expedition: Antarctica
Monsters:
  • (Himalayas) Gnoph-Keh: Wil vs 1 Horror, Str-2 vs 2 Damage, 3 Toughness. Spawns in Himalayas
    Reckoning: Each investigator on this space loses 1 Health.
  • (Heart of Africa) Cthonian: Wil-1 vs 2 Horror, Str-2 vs 3 Damage, 4 Toughness. Spawns in Heart of Africa.
  • (Buenos Aires) Doppelganger Senator Kane, Obs-1 vs 1 Horror, Str-1 vs 2 Damage, 5 Toughness. If you fail the Obs test, do not resolve the Str test.
    Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 1 or 2, advance Doom by 1.
  • (Space 21, Australia) Tick Tock Man, No Horror, Str-2 vs 3, 10 Toughness. You cannot spend Clues to reroll dice during this Combat Encounter.
Asset Reserve:
  • 3: Enchanted Blade, Item - Weapon, Gain +1 Wil and +3 Str during Combat
  • 3: Lucky Ring, Trinket – Magical, Reroll 1 die for any test.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 28, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Norman Withers, The Astronomer – Jivjov
Health: 5/5 , Sanity: 7/7
Lor:3 , Inf:1 , Obs:3 , Str:2 , Wil:5 (4+1)
  • Action: Spend 2 clues to discard 1 Monster on a space with a Gate
  • 1/round, you may spend 1 Sanity instead of 1 Clue
  • Feed The Mind (Ritual, Action: Test Lor-1 to improve 1 skill of your choice for an investigator on your space, then flip)
  • Elder Sign (2, Trinket – Magical, Reroll 1 die during a Wil test in Combat, and reduce the Monster's horror by 1.)
  • +1 Will Improvement

After the spectral encounter with a ghost ship, Norman was actually feeling rather well about himself. He had handled that situation as well as could be expected. His ship arrived in Tokyo in the mid-morning, hardly the time of day to be poking around looking for portals to distant planes, so Norman allowed himself to believe that everything was normal for a moment, and did a bit of shopping around.

Action 1: Move to Tokyo
Acquire Assets in Tokyo: 1d6t5 0

Sadly, nothing was catching his eye. There was a fetching ring that had an allure to it...but it was far out of his price range. As the day wore on and the light grew dimmer, Norman kept his eyes peeled for the baleful light of an otherworldly rift.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 28, 2014

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Charlie Kane, The Politician – TheLovablePlutonis
Space: San Francisco
Health: 4/4 , Sanity 8/8
Lor:2 , Inf:4+1 , Obs:3 , Str:2 , Wil:2
  • Action: Another Investigator may immidiately perform one additional action.
  • When you Acquire Assets, you may give cards you purchase to other investigators.
  • Personal Assistant (2, Ally, Gain +1 Inf and reroll 1 die during Inf tests) Used automatically

What in the seven hells was that? That brute that looked exactly like him... Even though Kane played football back in Yale, he was never that size. Still, there must be a way to eliminate that thing before it starts more trouble. But first... It seems that Kane is stranded on Falklands. At least they speak English here. Kane quickly arranges for a trip to Johannesburg, where he might find more information on what is going on.

Phoneposting atm. Actions are buying a ticket to south africa space and moving there.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Phoneposting atm. Actions are buying a ticket to south africa space and moving there.

You can get to South Africa in a single Action, so you have another one to go when you get a chance to post more freely.

how did you like what happened?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rolling assets then

Acquire assets: 5d6t5 2

Acquire assets reroll: 1d6t5 0

D'oh!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Trish Scarborough, The Spy – Mistaya
Space: Istanbul
Lor:1 , Inf:3 , Obs:4 , Str:3 , Wil:2+1
  • Action: If you do not have any clues, gain 1 Clue
  • If an Investigator on your space spends a Clue to reroll a die, they may reroll 2 dice instead.
  • .45 Automatic (2, Item – Weapon, +3 Str during Combat)
  • Tear Gas, Item – Weapon, Discard to reroll 2 dice during a Str test in combat and reduce the Monster's damage by 2
  • Cat Burglar, Ally, Action: Roll 1 die: on a 5+ gain 1 Item/Trinket from the Reserve. On a 1, discard this card.
  • 1 Clue
  • +1 Will
  • 2 Train tickets

Action 1: Get me a train ticket.
Action 2:Aquire Assets in Istanbul: 3d6t5, 1 Acquiring the Cat Burglar Ally card.

Trish flipped the calender page over and back again. It had felt like minutes, at most, inside the horrible place... But it had been nearly a week! She remembered little of her time inside, which was a blessing, if the teeth marks on her stockings were any indication. That sickly green light, though, she would never forget. "Pull yourself together Trish. You can do something about this." she said to herself. "You're going back there tonight, and you're going to Make. It. STOP. Whatever it is." She reloaded Papa's gun and tucked it into her purse before heading out. First stop was the train station. Her old tickets were no good, but a winning smile (and more money for a longer trip than previously planned) convinced them to refund the difference. Then it was off to market.

As she was bargain hunting, she felt a hand slip into her purse, and grabbed hold of the arm on the end of it before it could make off with anything. A young woman, a native, squeaked in surprise. Trish let her go once she was sure the hand was empty, and the pickpocket fled. Silly, to try to steal from... Trish paused. She'd had little luck finding anything useful in the market, but the black market was another matter. She went back to her hotel and penned a note, handed it off to the staff and waited.

That evening, there was a knock at the window. Trish smiled. She was on the fourth floor. "Arat, do come in you're scaring the pigeons." she said. "I'm afraid I'm up to dangerous things again, if we could reinstate our previous arrangement?"

The thief just smiled and nodded once, before vanishing over the balcony.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

mistaya posted:

Action 2:Aquire Assets in Istanbul: 3d6t5, 1 Acquiring the Cat Burglar Ally card.[/i]
New item up for sale.
  • 3: Witch Doctor(Ally, Investigators on your space recover 1 additional Health or discard a Cursed Condition when they Rest)

:smith: You wanna buy stuff now or wait to see if other interesting things pop up on the reserve later this turn? Lots of people on monsterless cities, so I think lots of assets are going to get bought this turn.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Mark Harrigan, The Soldier – Kai Tave
Space: Tunguska
Lor:1 , Inf:2 , Obs:2 , Str:4 , Will:4
Conditions: Debt
  • Action: You and 1 monster on your space each lose 1 Health
  • You cannot become Delayed or Detained unless you choose to
  • .38 Revolver (1, Item – Weapon , +2 Str during Combat)
  • Kerosene (1, Item, Discard to gain +5 Str during one Combat) Declare before Combat
  • .18 Derringer (Trinket - Weapon, Add 1 to the result of 1 die when resolving a Str test during Combat)
  • Conspiracy Theorist, Ally, Gain +2 Obs during Research Encounters. Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 4+, gain 1 Clue.

The trip to eastern Russia had been a bust. Pyotr had been right sure enough, the stars in the sky lined up perfectly with what he'd found in the monks' notes, and when they followed the map to the location they seemed to be pointing towards they found themselves in the middle of nowhere with nothing but frozen wilderness for miles. And a mad Russian hermit.

Mark had to admit that Russia was starting to make him miss Finland.

Not just a hermit though. The man knew things, important things. The outside of his cabin was engraved and painted with symbols and sigils, some of which Mark recognized, and an entire curio shop's worth of trinkets and charms hung from the eaves. Who was this man, and what did he know? Unfortunately he was long past sane, whether it was the isolation or the things he'd learned that had driven him there. He and Pyotr questioned the man for hours in both English and Russian to no avail. They were so close to learning something...

As they went to leave the old man grabbed his arm with surprising strength, yanking him around and fixing him with a piercing gaze before speaking haltingly in thickly accented English. "Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. The gate...opens in Tokyo. Already Yog-Sothoth awakens. Soon."

And with that the man shoved them outside before slamming the door shut.

For the first time in a long while Mark was about to leave Europe. Not for America this time though...forJapan. Whatever this "Yog-Sothoth" thing was, the old man was utterly convinced that it was in Tokyo. Of course the old man was also crazy, but Mark had a sinking suspicion that he had been telling the truth. He'd expected Pyotr to take his leave but the man seemed positively thrilled to be headed to Tokyo on some sort of supernatural wild goose chase. Russians, go figure.

Action 1: Moving to Tokyo.
Action 2: Testing influence to ditch this debt 2d6t5 = 0 wah-wahhh.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Quote isn't edit, gently caress.

I was just gonna say to Plutonis that you can always get a bank loan to add +2 successes to your acquisitions roll, that'd be enough for you to afford anything up for grabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Diana Staley, The Redeemed Cultist – Mykkel
Lor:4 , Inf:2 , Obs:3 , Str:3 , Wil:1
  • Action: If there is a Cultist on your space either discard all Monsters or move the Cultist to any other space.
  • Reduce the horror of Monsters you encounter to 1.
  • Arcane Manuscripts (1, Item – Tome, +1 Lor during Spells)
  • Wither (Incantation, During Combat test Lor to gain +3 Str for that Combat – then flip))
    (Back: 0: Target is cursed. 1: You lose 1 Sanity. 2+: No additional Effect)
  • Lucky Ring, Trinket – Magical, Reroll 1 die for any test.
  • Internal Injury (Injury, When you Rest, roll 1 die. On a 5+, discard this card. Reckoning: Test Str. If you fail, flip this card.)
  • Amnesia (Madness, When you Rest, roll 1 die. On a 5+, discard this card. Reckoning: Test Wil. If you fail, flip this card.)
    (Back: Unknown.)
  • Ship ticket

Diana stumbled back into Miskatonic Bank and Loan, she needed just a small amount of money for a trinket she had seen at Ye Olde Magick Shoppe. Of course she couldn't tell when she had last been there, it could be gone by the time she gets there. She definitely didn't like the predatory eyes of Mr. Boggs as he handed her the bundle of bills. She limped to the shoppe, and left shortly thereafter with a silver ring, that gleamed unnaturally.
Exhausted she fell into her bed at the hotel, hoping that a few hours sleep would relieve her of the lingering pain in her chest.

Action 1: Acquire Assets. Acquire Assets : 2d6t5 1
Action 2: Rest test to discard internal injuries: 1d6t5 0test to discard amnesia: 1d6t5 0
I'll take a bank loan and then the Lucky Ring, please.
I want to clarify, I can use the blessing spell on myself? Also, can I try to remove Amnesia and Internal Injury on the same rest action? I was assuming I couldn't, but I can edit this post, if I'm wrong.

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 28, 2014

• Locked thread