Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mykkel posted:

I want to clarify, I can use the blessing spell on myself? Also, can I try to remove Amnesia and Internal Injury on the same rest action? I was assuming I couldn't, but I can edit this post, if I'm wrong. [/i]

Yeah, you can cast Blessing of Isis on yourself; the wording "an investigator on your space" includes you. If you could not target yourself, the wording would be "another investigator on your space"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
fake edit: ^^ :argh:

I'll note you for a Debt when I do the Encounters.

Yes, you can use Blessing of Isis on yourself, and yes the Internal Injury and Amnesia Conditions both have a chance of being cured if you rest.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Silas Marsh, The Sailor – stevey666
Space: Shanghai
Health: 8/8 , Sanity: 4/4
Lor:1 , Inf:3 , Obs:3 , Str:3 , Wil:3
  • Action: Move 1 space along a Ship path, then perform 1 additional action.
  • If you are on a Sea space, Investigators on your space roll +1 die for tests
  • Fishing Net (2, Item, Reroll 1 die for Str tests during Combat; Reduce Monster damage by 1) Used automatically
  • Dynamite, Item – Weapon, Action: Discard to deal 3 damage to each Monster on your space
  • Lantern, Item, 1/round, roll 1 additional die when resolving a test (Will save for last roll on your encounter card, otherwise state if you want it used earlier)
  • 1 clue
  • Cursed (Bane, Count test successes only 6+ instead. If you gain Cursed again, flip this card instead. If you gain Blessed, discard both cards. Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 2-, discard this card.)
    (Back: Unknown)

Silas ducks into a small restaurant and eyes the door. People seem to be giving him the stink an awful lot. The owner shouts at him and he brokenly asks for his meal. Things seem tougher now, but he can't be sure.

He knows that if he is in dire straights like this he'd somehow use the clue he found to try and salvage this next time.

Action 1: Acquire assets, 3d6t6: 0 , failed :(.
Action 2: Prepare, +1 train travel ticket

Silas knows this will be tough, but he has to close this gate. The whole drat world is in peril. He hopes that with this clue and his trusty lantern, he will be safe.

So.. if anyone would be so kind as to help me that'd be great! drat curses! Curses!

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

jivjov posted:

Yeah, you can cast Blessing of Isis on yourself; the wording "an investigator on your space" includes you. If you could not target yourself, the wording would be "another investigator on your space"

well, I'm going to have to try the blessing on my next turn.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

That was some absolutely horrible rolling for encounters.

Anyways, if someone wants to pass me that enchanted blade, I'll go try and stab Chaarlie in the face. We sort of want the Doppleganger gone fast, considering it has a 1/3 chance of increasing Doom almost every turn.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Still traveling. Will read duly and post later. I think I'll look at the amnesia condition.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

That was some absolutely horrible rolling for encounters.

Anyways, if someone wants to pass me that enchanted blade, I'll go try and stab Chaarlie in the face. We sort of want the Doppleganger gone fast, considering it has a 1/3 chance of increasing Doom almost every turn.

Will do! Assuming my rolls pan out...

Jacqueline Fine, The Psychic – Green Intern
Space: Arkham > Buenos Aires
Health: 4/4 , Sanity: 8/8
Lor:4 , Inf:2 , Obs:3 , Str:1 , Wil:3
  • Blessed (Boon, Count test successes on 4+ instead. If you gain Blessed again, flip this card instead. If you gain Cursed, discard both cards. Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 2-, discard this card.)
    (Back: Light of Kthanid: Retreat Doom by 1.)
  • Debt (Deal – Common, Local Action: Test Inf to discard this card. Reckoning: Flip this card.)
    Back: (Unknown)
    ---
  • Action: You may trade any number of Clues with any Investigator
  • 1/round when another Investigator gains a non-Common Condition, reveal the back and gain 1 Clue
    ---
  • Flesh Ward (Incantation, 1/round test Lor to prevent an Investigator from losing 2 Health, then flip)
    (Back: Unknown) Will autocast to save a life – otherwise declare before end of turn if want to cast on person taking most damage
  • Instill Bravery (Incantation, 1/round test Lor to prevent an Investigator from losing 2 Sanity - then flip)
    ---
  • Police Ledger, Item, When you Rest, you may also attempt to decipher the ledger (Obs). If you pass, discard this card and gain 1 Clue
  • Enchanted Blade, Item - Weapon, Gain +1 Wil and +3 Str during Combat
    ---
  • 1 Clue (Dreams of Yog-Sothoth)
  • 1 Clue (Charlie Kane's Lost in Time and Space)
  • 1 Clue (Diana's Amnesia)

Jacqueline clutches the parcel tightly as she watches the waves over the steamer's railing. The brown paper wrapping disguised the heavy burden held within. The blade did not come cheap, and she had to take on a heavy debt to afford it. Her dreams never lied to her, however. A man she had never met would need this sword to kill a man who was not a man. As hard as she tries to focus the visions on the outcome, all she can see is that without her knowledge this False Man would tear down the world, one piece at a time.

Action 1: Acquire assets, taking a bank loan to raise it enough to get the Enchanted Blade

Acquire Assets: 2d6t4 1

Action 2: Travel to Sea Space 8, then use my Boat Ticket to move once more to Buenos Aires to await Leo Anderson (where Leo can take the sword from me in a trade)

I realize I never added my Boat Ticket to my inventory, but I did get one on the first turn. Assuming we can somehow kill the Doppleganger, I'll take a shot at the Void Between Worlds mystery. Lord Koth, take as many of my clue tokens (up to 3) as you think you might need to kill the Doppleganger.

And if you didn't see, Krysm, I'll peek at Diana's Amnesia Condition.

I'm ready to use spells on whoever needs them the most.

Edit: Included Instill Bravery on my sheet. I'll stop forgetting items at some point.

Edit2: I should not have Healing Words.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 30, 2014

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Green Intern posted:

And if you didn't see, Krysm, I'll peek at Diana's Amnesia Condition.

Yeah, I saw. One sec.

Forgotten Crimes posted:

You don't want to believe it's true, but the evidence is irrefutable. At some point that you no longer recall, you went on a crime spree. Now you must accompany the police. Gain a Detained Condition. Then discard this card.
  • Amnesia (Madness, When you Rest, roll 1 die. On a 5+, discard this card. Reckoning: Test Wil. If you fail, flip this card.)
    (Back: Forgotten Crimes: Gain a Detained Condition, then discard this card.)
Diana, what were you up to at that Magick Shoppe?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Jacqueline just delivering alllll the bad news.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's all bad news, baby. It's the sign of the times.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
no update tonight. Rather exhausted from the day and getting them done takes a lot of time. I think I'm going to aim for an every other day schedule from now on.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Lord Koth, you should probably just take all of my clues to make sure you can kill Senator Kane. No half measures.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

Anyways, if someone wants to pass me that enchanted blade, I'll go try and stab Charlie in the face. We sort of want the Doppleganger gone fast, considering it has a 1/3 chance of increasing Doom almost every turn.

I was sitting down to run the Encounters when I realized I actually don't have turn orders for you yet! It sounds like the plan is for one action to Move down to Buenos Aires, and then Trade with Jacqueline with the other action, but some kind acknowledgement of this would be appreciated so I don't feel bad moving you automatically.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Quickpost since I was busy today and then forgot to do my turn.

Leo Anderson, The Expedition Leader – Lord Koth
Space: Buenos Aires
Health: 6/6 , Sanity 6/6
Lor:2 , Inf:2+1 , Obs:3 , Str:3+1 , Wil:3
  • Improved Influence (+1)
  • Action: Test Inf to gain 1 Ally from the reserve or discard pile.
  • If you are on a Wilderness space, Investigators on your space roll +1 die for tests
  • Hired Muscle (2, Ally, Gain +1 Str and reroll 1 die during Str tests) Used automatically

Action 1: Move to Buenos Aires.
Action 2: Trade Action with Jacqueline for sword. If not possible, buy another boat ticket.

edit: Taking 2 Clues as well.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 30, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Take some clues too.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Tokyo

Norman waits until night time to begin his search of the gate, as the city of Tokyo is a very busy place indeed. Inside the city, the stars are dim due to the constant light pollution from the street lights, but there is one star shining bright in the night sky, and out of position. He follows it through the city to a ruined Shinto shrine on the outskirts of the city, with Police ribbons blocking his access. He was about to sneak under when he heard the loud noise of a man speaking English with a heavy Russian accent...most unusual for in Japan.

"Yes, I am telling you! This star, it is too low in the sky. And too bright! It's not a star at all, but a spacecraft of the aliens watching over us hovering just over this point!" Pyotr rambles loudly, with Mark close behind. "And it has to be here! The star is just over this building!" Mark nods in silent approval, and loads his pistols. The soldier and his still rambling friend sneak under the ribbon and onto the grounds of the shrine, with Norman sneaking close behind.

As they approach, they see the remains of a crime scene, a chalk outline of a body on the ground with dry blood still staining the stone walkway. A ritual suicide of some kind. Neither Mark or Pyotr know what all the strips of paper plastered over the walls of the building mean, but Norman thinks it might be wards against an unknown evil force sealed within. Not surprisingly, the closer they get to the shrine they gradually hear unusual noises from within.

Pyotr chickens out, and decides he won't go any further, retreating back to hide behind a tree and stumbles over the very one Norman was hiding behind. Mark aims with his pistols and asks what Norman is doing here. After five minutes of frantic mumbling about whatever happening here being the same thing that happened in Arkham and Tunguska, Mark rolls his eyes and sighs. "Great, another conspiracy theorist." He turns away and opens the door to the shrine, and to his surprise Norman is not afraid. Instead the Astronomer's eyes speak of personal experience...however slight it may be against this unknown danger.

The interior of the shrine is unnoteworthy but filled with this unnatural presence. Not knowing what else to do, Norman holds his Elder Sign high, and the air shimmers with a blue light. The portal opens up easily before them. Mark stands back, uncertain of what to do. Norman walks ahead into the portal, knowing that he must do whatever on earth Diana did before.

(Sending in Norman first because his higher Lore, Observation and Will make him more likely to close the gate.)

Void Between Worlds Encounter - Norman posted:

You find yourself inside a black stone cave. The walls are covered with carvings of images and strange hieroglyphs. You think you can use the pictures to translate some of the hieroglyphs (Lor-1).
Void Between Worlds: Lor-1 test: 2d6t5 1

Void Between Worlds Encounter posted:

You recognize this as a means to use magical power to engineer an escape. You may discard 1 Spell to close this Gate and place 1 Eldritch token on the active Mystery. If you do not discard the Spell, gain a Lost in Time and Space Condition.
(Jivjov woke up as I was typing this, so I walked over and asked him what the choice was. Good bye Healing Words, and Mystery Progress: 2/4 :woop: )

Norman steps out of the portal just in time as it collapses behind him, and the air feels quiet but calm. He looks down at the notes he took while inside the portal, and notices that his entire notebook is charred and black. Whatever that spell was he used to get him out of there destroyed all of his notes.

Mark whistles in surprise and appreciation, slapping Norman on the back as the leave the shrine together. As they leave, they are stopped by several uniformed Japanese soldiers. Their captain steps forth to demand what they are doing there, and Mark handles the situation.

Tokyo Encounter - Mark posted:

Captain Isoge Taro of the Imperial Japanese Navy takes particular interest in your investigations. You describe the threats that the world is facing (Inf-1).
Tokyo Encounter: Inf-1 test: 1d6t5 0

Tokyo Encounter posted:

If you fail, he is convinced that you are a dangerous menace; gain a Detained Condition.
  • You cannot become Delayed or Detained unless you choose to.
(Mark has this passive ability, and honestly why on earth would you ever become Detained?)

Isoge Taro takes the three of them to his office to continue the interrogation. While looking through their passports, he notices Mark former career in the military. Knowing that it would cause an international scandal, he lets Mark, Norman and Pyotr go on one condition: It would probably be in their best interest to leave Japan immediately and never come back.

As they leave the office, Isoge Taro picks up his phone and dials a number. "Yes, it's me. I found three of them..." While on the phone he pulls out his pocket watch, entranced by it's constant tick tock tick tock. "Don't worry, we'll be keeping a close eye on them, and see where they go."

Space 15 (South Africa)

Still shaken by his encounter by a man just like him trying to make history, Charlie happens to overhear a rumor that one of the book stores in South Africa has something that might be useful to him.

Generic City Encounter - Charlie posted:

A shop in the old part of town is reputed to have an amazing collection of rare books, but the shop cannot always be found. You research the legend and do your best to find it (Lor-2)
City: Lor-2: 1d6t5 1 (Wow, nailed it!)

Generic City Encounter posted:

If you pass, gain 1 Tome Artifact.
  • Massa di Requiem per Shuggay (Artifact Item - Tome, Action: Test Lor-1. If you pass, spend 1 Sanity to discard 1 Monster on a space containing a Gate.)
    (Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 1, advance Doom by 1)

(And here we have our first Artifact of the game. Artifacts are good, powerful, and gamechanging. However, many of them come with risks. In Charlie's hands that's probably not very good, so someone with high Lor like Diana or Jacqueline should try to scurry over and Trade with Charlie.
One more thing! The exact wording of that is discard 1 Monster. Those kinds of discard effects do not work on Epic Monsters like our Senator Kane or the Tick Tock Men.)

Istanbul

Trish's shopping trip was a failure, and although she did find a new friend to help her in the future, it meant that she still had to tackle the mysterious portal with the same amount of resources and preparation she had before. To her surprise, there are no more skeletons walking around the graveyard, but she hears rattling in the coffins below her feet and wonders how much time she has until that changes. Deciding she doesn't want to take a risk to find out, she goes back inside the Mausoleum.

Void Between Worlds Encounter - Trish posted:

As you travel through this horrid featureless void, you hear a sound echoing from the darkness ahead of you. A creature resemblign an ape with features of an insect shambles toward you. You feel compelled to run away in terror (Wil-1)
Void Between Worlds: Wil-1 test: 2d6t5 1

You try to hold onto the dimensional shambler as it fades into another world (Str)
Void Between Worlds: Str test: 3d6t5 2

If you pass, you find yourself in your own world; close this Gate and place 1 Eldritch token on the active Mystery
(That's 3/4! :woop:)

Once again Trish finds herself back in the Mausoleum, and this time the graveyard is as quiet as the dead should be. She rushes back to her hotel room to see how much time has passed...and discovers she was only gone for fifteen minutes. Whatever happened in there, it worked.

Arkham

(Before we get started, here is your debt)
  • Debt (Deal – Common, Local Action: Test Inf. If you pass, discard this card. Reckoning: Some men have come to collect on your debt, flip this card.)

Diana sleeps, hoping some much needed rest will take away her pain, but she is mistaken and her sleep is anything other than restful.

Arkham Encounter - Diana posted:

During the night, you have a nightmare about the old witch, Keziah Mason. In the dream, she shares her power with you; gain 1 Incantation Spell. When you wake up, you fear that the old witch will someday ask you for a favor in return (Wil +1)
Arkham: Wil+1 test: 2d6t5 0
Free reroll: 1d6t5 0
(Yike, every single one of those rolls was a 1.)

Arkham Encounter posted:

If you fail, gain a Paranoia Condition.
  • Paranoia (Madness, When you perform a Rest action, you may roll 1 die. On a 5+, discard this card. Reckoning: Test Wil. If you fail, flip this card.)
  • Healing Words (Incantation, When an investigator on your space Rests, test Lor to let them recover an additional Health and Sanity - then flip)

Shanghai

Once again, Silas sails down the canal to the portal. This time the red lights all around seem menacing rather than enchanting. And once he sails into the portal, he can't but shake the feeling that he's in a place man was not meant to go.

Void Between Worlds - Silas posted:

You are completely surrounded by the teeming globules that comprise Yog-Sothoth. The ancient eing invades your thoughts to communicate with you. You struggle to decipher its horrific message (Lor-1).
Void Between Worlds: Lor-1 test: 1d6t6 0
Void Between Worlds: Lor-1 lantern reroll: 1d6t6 0
Void Between Worlds: Lor-1 clue reroll: 1d6t6 0
(:smith: Welp.)

Void Between Worlds posted:

The words and images that flood your mind do nothing more than confuse and disorient you. You're left wandering across alien landscapes, with no idea how to return home. Gain a Lost in Time and Space Condition.

Back in Shanghai, an empty boat continues sailing down the canal.

• Lost in Time and Space (Restriction, Remove your Investigator token from the game board. You are unaffected by other game effects and cannot move or perform actions. Instead of resolving an encounter, flip this card.)

Buenos Aires

The things Leo hears are ridiculous. Senator Charlie Kane? Wandering Buenos Aires and causing random destruction. He can't believe it at all. Then out comes Jacqueline, saying it's all true. She's seen it herself, and tells him it's his duty to take out the strange doppelganger or the world could be in trouble. The sword is fascinating, sharp behind believe although he doesn't quite understand why it has the number 15,485,863 inscribed on the blade. Neither does Jacqueline, but she says it's there to help defeat horrible shapeshifting abominations.

Not knowing what else to do, or how to react to the news, Leo takes the sword and wanders the city, hoping to find Senator Kane.

Combat: Obs-1 vs 1 Horror, Senator Kane: 2d6t5 1

They travel to a junkyard, where they see the unusually cleanly dressed man standing in the middle of all the wreckage, creating a circle out of all the blue pieces of destroyed cars or other salvage he can find. He notices them and grumbles. "I was hoping that little wimp would be here to do the job instead, but now I have you...so you think that little sword can save you? Well, go ahead then. But make no mistake, when I'm finished with you, he's next."

Cluthing his heart for a moment, Senator Kane stomps the ground, moving the wreckage around with some unseen energy to trap Leo and Jacqueline in this space. When he's done, his shirt is ripped to shreds and he seems to have become much more muscular. He slams his fists together, turning black as wrought iron. Then his face changes, taking on Leo's with pure red eyes. "Come on!"

Without warning, the doppelganger charges ahead to tackle Leo, as he nimbly rolls out of the way. With the back exposed, Leo swings with his sword. The prime enchanted steel clangs against the doppelganger's black iron skin, but still seems to make a cut however shallow it may be. The enchanted sword shines red now that it's drawn blood, and Leo can feel the sword calling for him to keep fighting. And in that moment, nothing else matters.

Memories broken, the truth goes unspoken
I’ve even forgotten my name
I don’t know the season, or what is the reason
I’m standing here holding my blade

Combat: Str-1 vs 2 Damage, Senator Kane: 6d6t5 2
The doppelganger slams into the ground, sending lines of fire straight at the man. He rolls to the side and runs ahead while the doppelganger is still open, cutting away with his blade. The doppelganger reaches out and tries to grab the man to pin him to the ground, but he's too fast. Again and again the doppelganger reaches out but each time he is punished with a slice against the arms.

A desolate place, without any trace
It’s only the cold wind I feel
It’s me that I spite, as I stand up and fight
The only thing I know for real

Combat: 3 str rerolls (1 free, 2 clues): 3d6t5 1
(The doppelganger has taken 3 damage...but with a Toughness of 5, you'll need to do two more damage before this thing is defeated. This end's Leo's combat encounter, and with monsters still on the space you can't make any other encounters. There's just one problem...)

Fighting the man with the sword is futile, and the doppelganger suddenly leaps back onto higher ground atop the wreckage. Turning it's whole body into black iron, the doppelganger lifts up a destroyed car and hurls it down into the circular arena...but not at the Expedition Leader, at Jacqueline.

There will be blood-shed
The man in the mirror nods his head
The only one left
Will ride upon the dragon’s back
Because the mountains don’t give back what they take
Oh no There will be blood-shed
It’s the only thing I’ve ever known

Combat: Obs-1 vs 1 Horror, Doppelganger: 2d6t5 1 (Slight goof, forgot Jacqueline was Blessed, but it's still 1 success...which means you go to the damage phase.)
Combat: Str-1 vs 2 Damage, Doppelganger: 1d6t4 1 (Jacqueline takes 1 damage, since she didn't get 2 successes.)

As the cars come hurling towards her, Jacqueline feels the light of Isis and Kthanid shining on her. She rolls to the side, with only flying scrapnel scratching against her. Suddenly the doppelganger jumps down and stands in his circle of blue debris. Unseen energies raise the metal shards, and in the center of the circle a portal begins to form. The only weapon Jacqueline has in a pocket knife, and she throws it at the doppelganger's back, disrupting the sorcery as the metal shards fall to the ground. With a growl the doppelganger turns to face Jacqueline, only for the man with the sword to step in it's way.

Losing my identity, wondering have I gone insane
To find the truth in front of me, I must climb this mountain range
Looking downward from this deadly height
And never realizing why I fight

Flesh Ward: Lor test: 4d6t4 1

quote:

0: Something inside your chest shifts painfully. The chosen Investigator loses 1 Health unless he gains an Internal Injury Condition.
1-2: The spell causes skin to writhe and reform like a living being. No additional effect.
3+: Flesh and bone mend themselves and harden against attack. Prevent that Investigator from losing Health up to your test result instead.
    Flesh Ward (Incantation, 1/round test Lor to prevent an Investigator from losing 2 Health, then flip)
    (Back: 0: Target loses 1 Health or gains Internal Injury Condition. 1-2: No additional effect. 3+: Prevent that much Health loss instead.) Will autocast to save a life – otherwise declare

The two continue their battle, and the protection spell Jacqueline cast on herself before hand writhes under her skin, but she's in perfect health. Whatever happened to Leo when he took that sword is unknown, but it seems like he's going to stay and fight. If she wanted to, she could leave now.

(Well, we got 3 gates down now. I'm going to work on the Mythos phase next, but I want to grab some lunch and do a little grocery shopping for New Year's first.

Jacqueline, there were a few Non-Debt conditions this turn, pick which one you want to see the back of and gain a Clue from it. The Lost in Time and Space one probably doesn't matter because we literally can't do anything to stop it. Also you seem to have somehow gained the Healing Words spell, but my records show you never received it. I think you wrote down Norman's by mistake.)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

You're right about the spell; I've gone back to edit my mistake out of my prior posts. I'll be paying closer attention in the future.

I think we'll be able to beat the doppelganger this next round. And I'd like to stick around to make sure we can take care of the Void Between Worlds encounter; I should have a couple of things I can do which are worthwhile instead of wasting actions. Of course, that's all depending on how the Mythos phase goes.

Let me see what's on the Paranoia condition.

Edit: I might have to buy this game myself. It's really fun.

Edit2: I don't think I really understand what the Expedition on Antarctica is beyond a special encounter space.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 30, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Green Intern posted:

Edit: I might have to buy this game myself. It's really fun.

Edit2: I don't think I really understand what the Expedition on Antarctica is beyond a special encounter space.

1: Yes, it's super fun. I do highly suggest picking up the first (small box, Forsaken Lore) expansion at the same time, though. It fleshes out all the decks and makes it much less likely that you'll hit repeats.

2: Expeditions are a special type of encounter. They're usually more difficult than a normal encounter and as such have correspondingly better rewards. Stuff like Artifacts or getting Doom retreated (not that we really need to worry about such a thing in this game.) I've found that Expeditions are the least commonly encountered thing in the game; but there are some exceptions. If you're travelling in the area and really have nothing better to do for a turn, yeah, stop off and hit the Expedition. Some Mysteries also require a certain Artifact to complete, and that means seeking out the Expedition is a good course of action (those type of Mysteries also tend to have the effect "If you would gain a random Artifact, you may gain the [NEEDED THING] instead", so you're not at the whim of the deck.)

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 30, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

If we're confident that Leo can handle the Doppelgδnger and the Gate, then I could beeline for the Expedition. Being blessed raises my odds nicely.

Edit: I like special things.

Edit2: conversely, Leo could hit the Expedition, and I could kill the Doppelgδnger at this point (albeit at greater risk of combat damage)

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 30, 2014

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Up to you, I don't really mind either way. As the Antarctica Expedition is actually sitting on a Sea space, I don't get the +1 to rolls that I would on literally any other one, so if you want to go for it, that's fine. Otherwise, I can pass the blade back and then move there as my second action.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Well, let's see. If you initiate Trade, you can snag a clue from me (for safety) and give me the Sword to prop up my poor Str if I get stuck in combat. You can spend your second action prepping for travel, I suppose, and then you nail the Doppelganger to the wall and take on the Gate in Buenos Aires.

I can then go to the Expedition and hope for something real nice. (Prep for ocean travel, then travel).

This seems like a good course of action to me, thoughts?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

3d6+1reroll for 2 successes is decently chancy with only 5+ successes, but willing to give it a go if you'd like.

edit: Also, expeditions seem to test raw stats a lot more than do stuff like toss monsters at you, so not sure how much the sword would help. Of course, in that case you'd still be stuck with only 1 STR against whatever the challenge was...

Staying here might give you a chance to close the gate, whether giving you the sword to off the Doppleganger first or just both of us staying here.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 30, 2014

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Green Intern posted:

Let me see what's on the Paranoia condition.

Self Doubt posted:

Self Doubt: Your friends and colleagues were right. What hope do you have of changing anything? Mere mortals couldn't possibly stop ancient, powerful beings. Discard all of your Improvement tokens.
  • Paranoia (Madness, When you perform a Rest action, you may roll 1 die. On a 5+, discard this card. Reckoning: Test Wil. If you fail, flip this card.)
    (Back: Self Doubt: Discard all of your Improvement tokens.)
This one's probably not too painful, considering Diana doesn't have any Improvement tokens yet.

Mythos Phase posted:

Advance Omen
Reckoning
Spawn Gates

Omen advances to Blue Constellations, and Doom advances to 14 due to one active Blue Gate (Buenos Aires)

Now for the Reckoning...
Monsters: Just the Doppelganger's Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 1 or 2, advance Doom by 1.
Reckoning: 1d6 6 Safe
Ancient One: Reckoning: Each Investigator on a space containing a Gate advances Doom by 1 unless they discard 1 Spell.
Leo has no Spells to discard, so Doom advances to 13. Jacqueline will need to decide if she wants to discard one.
Ongoing Mythos Cards: The Active Rumor loses an Eldritch Token. 2 more remain until all Clues are lost.
Possessions and Conditions...this is the long one.

Charlie's Massa di Requiem per Shuggay Reckoning: 1d6 1 Doom advances to 13.
Diana's Internal Injury Reckoning: 3d6t5 3 Safe
Diana's Amnesia Reckoning: 1d6t5 1 Safe
Diana's Paranoia Reckoning: 1d6 4 (Messed up the syntax), triggered. Lose all Improvement Tokens, and discard the Paranoia.
Diana's Debt triggers:

Make a Deal posted:

Make a Deal: Walking into the ally, you hear the distinct ticking of a watch. An intruder dressed in a fine black suits stands in the shadows. He tells you that he'll help you in exchange for an undefined favor. You may gain a Dark Pact Condition. If you do not, the ticking noise begins to hypnotize you; advance Doom by 1. Then discard this card
Jacqueline's Blessed Reckoning: 1d6 4 Safe
Mark's Debt triggers

Unfortunate Accident posted:

Your lenders seemed forgiving when you told them you couldn't return the money you borrowed. Soon after the meeting, some intimidating thugs remind you it isn't good to abuse other's trust. Lose 1 Health and gain a Leg Injury Condition. Then discard this card.
  • Leg Injury (Injury, When you perform a Rest action, you may roll 1 die. On a 5+, discard this card. Reckoning: Test Str. If you fail, flip this card.)
Silas has Cursed, but that does not Reckon because he's Lost in Time and Space.

And finally two more Gates spawn.
San Francisco (Green) with a Riot
Sydney (Red) with a Shuggoth

Driven to Madness posted:

There was a time when you took comfort in the company of others, but no longer. You have sacrificed so much for them. Are the desperate masses even worth saving? Can the human race ever hope to earn it's redemption?
Each Investigator may discard any number of Ally Assets, then they lose 1 Sanity for each Ally Asset they have. Each investigator that lost Sanity from this effect also gains a madness condition.
Charlie, you have your Personal Assistant ally.
Leo, you have your Hired Muscle ally.
Mark, you have your Conspiracy Theorist ally.
Trish, you have your Cat Burglar Ally.
Each of you have a choice to make.

Ancient One: Yog-Sothoth, The Lurker at the Threshold
Omen: Green Comet -> Blue Constellations -> Red Eclipse -> Blue Constellations -> Green Comet
Doom: 13, possibly 12
Mythos Deck: 14 Cards Remain
Reckoning: Each Investigator on a space containing a Gate advances Doom by 1 unless they discard 1 Spell.

First Mystery: Void Between Worlds – Progress: 3 / 4 Eldritch Tokens
It is said that long ago, Yog-Sothoth was imprisoned in a place utterly without existence, a strange void that occupies the space between dimensions.
As an encounter, an investigator on a space containing a Gate may travel to the void between worlds by drawing and resolving a Void Between Worlds Special Encounter
At the end of the Mythos Phase, if there are Eldritch tokens on this card equal to half Investigators (4), solve this Mystery
GM Note: Success on a Void Between Worlds Special Encounter will always close the Gate in addition to adding an Eldritch Token to the Mystery

Active Rumor: Lost Knowledge - Progress: 2 / 3 Eldritch Tokens Remain
Your contact in the capital is hesitant to speak about those called “The Watches.” He says they work for a number of different governments, but answer to some other authority
When this card enters play, spawn the Tick Tock Men Epic Monster on space 21, and place 3 Eldritch Tokens on this card. When it is defeated, solve this Rumor.
When there are no Eldritch tokens on this card, discard all clues on the game board, then each investigator discards all clues.
Reckoning: Discard 1 Eldritch Token from this card.

Board Information
Active Gates: Shanghai (Red), Tokyo (Blue), Buenos Aires (Blue), Instanbul (Green), San Francisco (Green), Sydney (Red)
Clues: 1, 2, 8, 12, 15, 19, The Amazon, The Himalaya
Expedition: Antarctica
Monsters:
  • (Himalayas) Gnoph-Keh: Wil vs 1 Horror, Str-2 vs 2 Damage, 3 Toughness. Spawns in Himalayas
    Reckoning: Each investigator on this space loses 1 Health.
  • (Heart of Africa) Cthonian: Wil-1 vs 2 Horror, Str-2 vs 3 Damage, 4 Toughness. Spawns in Heart of Africa.
  • (Buenos Aires) Doppelganger Senator Kane, Obs-1 vs 1 Horror, Str-1 vs 2 Damage, 5 Toughness. If you fail the Obs test, do not resolve the Str test.
    Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 1 or 2, advance Doom by 1.
  • (Space 21, Australia) Tick Tock Man, No Horror, Str-2 vs 3, 10 Toughness. You cannot spend Clues to reroll dice during this Combat Encounter.
  • (San Francisco) Riot, No Horror, Str-3 vs 3 Damage, 3 Toughness. Before resolving the Str tst, you may attempt to disperse the mob (Inf-1). If you pass, defeat this monster.
  • (Sydney) Shuggot, Wil vs 3 Horror, Str-2 vs 2 Damage, 4 Toughness. Reckoning: This Monster recovers all Health.
Asset Reserve:
  • 1: Appeal to the Council, Service, Immediately spend 2 clues to retreat Doom by 1. Then discard this card.
  • 3: Witch Doctor, Ally, Investigators on your space recover 1 additional Health or discard a Cursed Condition when they Rest
  • 3: Lodge Research, Ally, When you defeat a Monster during Combat, recover 1 Sanity and gain 1 Clue.
  • 4: Agency Quarentine, Service, When gained, choose a space. Deal 4 damage to each Monster on that space, then discard this card.
  • 0: Bank Loan, Service, When performing Acquire Assets, gain a Debt Condition to add 2 successes.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Giving me the sword to fight the Doppelganger and having you go to the expedition would probably be safer then. I'm blessed currently, so I'd have a good chance to succeed. You can still snaffle one of my two clue tokens.

In that case, I could prep for travel and then initiate trade. Then you could take my Boat Ticket and a clue, and give me the sword. You'd have an extra action to...prep for travel again, I suppose. Always good to have an extra ticket around.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

I'll take the Dark Pact instead of advancing doom by 1. And I should get rid of Paranoia and debt?

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 31, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I'll sacrifice Instill Bravery to prevent Doom from advancing 1.

Lord Koth, I suppose we might as well both hang out here and make sure the gate gets closed this round.

Edit: That Agency Quarantine and Appeal to Council in the Asset Reserve are looking mighty fine right now.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, that was unpleasant.

Currently thinking to just toss my ally rather than pick up a Madness condition, but want to see if anyone thinks it's not too much of a risk.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I should really probably save my 1/round condition peek until the Mythos Phase. Knowing what's behind that Dark Pact seems like it would've been useful...

Edit: I think I have a decent shot at clearing the Riot in San Francisco as well...Although if I fail the Inf test, that's some pain coming my way.

Edit2: Does my newly-acquired debt trigger?

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 31, 2014

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Looking at the current situation we should probably deal with Frisco as soon as possible, since that gate will trigger doom on the next reckoning. We also want to deal with the clockmen ASAP because losing the entire clue board would suuuuuck.

Trish Scarborough, The Spy – Mistaya
Space: Istanbul >> Shanghai
Health: 7/7 , Sanity: 5/5
Lor:1 , Inf:3 , Obs:4 , Str:3 , Wil:2+1
  • Action: If you do not have any clues, gain 1 Clue
  • If an Investigator on your space spends a Clue to reroll a die, they may reroll 2 dice instead.
  • .45 Automatic (2, Item – Weapon, +3 Str during Combat)
  • Tear Gas, Item – Weapon, Discard to reroll 2 dice during a Str test in combat and reduce the Monster's damage by 2
  • Lodge Research, Ally, When you defeat a Monster during Combat, recover 1 Sanity and gain 1 Clue.
  • Bull Whip (1, Item - Weapon, Gain +1 Str during Combat, and reroll 1 die during Str tests in Combat)
  • 1 Clue
  • +1 Will
  • 1 Train ticket

Discarding my ally card, I'm not gonna risk it.
Action 1: Using one of my train tickets to move to Shanghai.
Action 2: Acquire Assets in Shanghai: 2
Taking a Debt condition, picking up the Bullwhip + Lodge Research Ally.

"What do you mean you can't leave Istanbul? Family? NOW?" Trish slammed the phone down and lit a cigarette. It was a dirty habit and her mother swore she'd never marry because of it, but Trish didn't particularly care. Arat wasn't coming with, which meant his services would be of no use to her. She took the next train out of Istanbul, happy to finally be clear of the place. Tombs of the restful undead were not what she signed on for when she took this job. She looked at the postcard in her hand with it's lipstick kiss and let herself smile for a moment. Then she tucked it away in her bag and settled in for a long and uneventful train ride.

Once she arrived she immediately sought out her old friend, Su Ni Hwan, who'd sent the postcard, at her family's restaurant. It was on the border between the right and wrong side of the tracks, and as Su greeted Trish, she brought her behind the beaded curtain and downstairs for the very first time. The Hwan family had been dealing with things for a very long time, the same sorts of things that Trish had encountered in Tunguska and Istanbul. "It's like the end of times is coming, Trish. Anything we can do to help stop this madness, we will do." Su said. She told Trish about the strange forces that had been at work in Shanghai, and Trish agreed to look into them that night.

Before she went though, Trish stopped at the market where a heavy leather bullwhip caught her eye. The .45 was by far the stronger weapon, but she was starting to worry that bullets weren't going to save her from everything. She tucked it into her bag and felt a bit more secure as she met back up with Su.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 2, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'll probably get my actual post up tomorrow but I wanted to solicit some feedback from everyone as to what I should be focusing on. Krysmphoenix has rightly pointed out that Mark is a fightmans and so I should be aiming myself at some monsters and fighting, which I'm happy to do. I can, at this point, head all the way down to where that Shuggoth is and then try to get at the Clockmen the turn after that. I'm not guaranteed to kill the Shuggoth of course even as kitted out as I am, and then that leaves the Clockmen to deal with afterwards who have 10 whole toughness to chunk through. The Agency Quarantine could help with that though.

I'm willing to give it the ol' college try of course, but I could probably use some sort of backup or assistance to make it stick. I don't know what all anyone can really do for me at this point though, and it seems like we've all got some problems to deal with so I understand if that's not in the cards. Otherwise, for lack of anything better to do, I'll be heading down to Australia, probably ditching my ally since the Shuggoth can potentially do a lot of Sanity damage. Thoughts?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Oh I'm headed straight for Australia as soon as this turn finishes, gate or no gate so you'll have Trish and her .45 backing you up. Between the Kerosene and the Tear Gas we've got a lot of firepower (Assuming I don't get lost in space and time or something this turn.)

PS anyone who ever wants to steal Trish's clues by stopping on my space can, I can only generate clues with my skill if I don't have one so feel free.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh dang, there's a gate on Sydney, I totally spaced that out. Hmm, that could potentially cause a problem given how non-Gate-solve-y Mark is. I don't suppose Norman's up for a trip down under?

Actually wait, this is something I'm not entirely clear on...can you move through spaces with monsters on them without having to stop and fight them? In Arkham Horror monsters stopped your movement, if you moved onto a space with a monster you HAD to fight it, but reading through the EH rulebook it seems less clear. If you CAN move past monsters without fighting them that might change how I approach this round since I've been assuming I have to fight past the Shuggoth to get to the Clockmen but if I can breeze past that rear end in a top hat then I might save him for afterwards.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 31, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, you can move past monsters. From an abstract perspective, spaces represent entire cities or whatever instead of rooms or small areas, so it's totally plausible to wander through without encountering a monster.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh :v: Well gently caress that Shuggoth then, he can take a number. Looks like I'm headed to Shanghai to join the gate party. Post'll be up in full tomorrow sometime in the evening.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Given the current board situation, I think I should head to San Francisco to try and stop the riots/close the gate. I need to know if the Debt I acquired last round triggers though, since two other players had theirs pop.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Actually, looking at where I am and the routes connecting various places, I don't think I CAN get to the Clockmen before the timer runs out unless I go to Sydney this turn. Getting there from, say, Shanghai would require me to take two move actions...one with a sea ticket to get to Sydney, then ANOTHER to go from Sydney to the space where the Clockmen are at via the rail lines...and you can't take the same action twice in a turn.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Posting now, although I have a feeling I have an unresolved Debt hanging over me.

Jacqueline Fine, The Psychic – Green Intern
Space: Buenos Aires > San Francisco
Health: 4/4 , Sanity: 8/8
Lor:4 , Inf:2 , Obs:3 , Str:1 , Wil:3
  • Blessed (Boon, Count test successes on 4+ instead. If you gain Blessed again, flip this card instead. If you gain Cursed, discard both cards. Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 2-, discard this card.)
    (Back: Light of Kthanid: Retreat Doom by 1.)
    ---
  • Action: You may trade any number of Clues with any Investigator
  • 1/round when another Investigator gains a non-Common Condition, reveal the back and gain 1 Clue
    ---
  • Flesh Ward (Incantation, 1/round test Lor to prevent an Investigator from losing 2 Health, then flip)
    (Back: Unknown) Will autocast to save a life – otherwise declare before end of turn if want to cast on person taking most damage
    ---
  • Police Ledger, Item, When you Rest, you may also attempt to decipher the ledger (Obs). If you pass, discard this card and gain 1 Clue
    ---
  • 1 Clue (Dreams of Yog-Sothoth)
  • 1 Clue (Paranoia)

Jacqueline watches Leo and the False Kane continue their duel. The seasoned adventurer handles the enchanted sword well. She almost allows herself a smile, before a vision crosses her eyes - riots in the streets of America. Bloodshed and chaos, spurred on by the words of a certain influential Senator.

It seems that the False Kane had been busy already. "Leo! Finish the job here! I've got to fix things elsewhere before they get too much worse!"

One hasty retreat later, and Jacqueline found herself on a steamer bound for California. Now if only she could make the rioters see truth and reason!

----

Action 1: Prepare for Boat Travel
Action 2: Travel to Space 7, and then use the ticket to get to San Francisco. Prepare to use Inf to beat the Riot, then Void Between Worlds encounter.

Lord Koth, feel free to take one of my two clues, if you want to use one of your actions to trade before finishing off the Doppelganger.

Flesh Ward is ready to go for the biggest hit, although at this point it might be me if I mess up the Inf roll on the Riot.

Edit: Debt Resolved! That was one of the easier ones...

Use a clue to make the Inf test on the Riot. I'd rather not see combat.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 2, 2015

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Green Intern posted:

Posting now, although I have a feeling I have an unresolved Debt hanging over me.

Oh right, sorry, that's going to Reckon.

Hitmen posted:

You see now that it was no ordinary bank you borrowed from. Some armed men confront you and demand that you repay what you owe (Str). If you fail, lose 3 Health. Then discard this card.
Debt Reckoning: Str test: 1d6t4 1

Nothing happens to you, since you got away scot free. Lucky.

I've also noted your sacrifice of Instill Bravery.

Mykkel posted:

I'll take the Dark Pact instead of advancing doom by 1. And I should get rid of Paranoia and debt?
Yes. your Paranoia and Debt are gone and resolved.
  • Dark Pact (Deal, Reckoning: Roll a die. On a 1, it's time to fulfill your part of the bargain; flip this card.)
Dark Pacts are always really terrible. They are rare to get rid of but if you get the chance, take it. Nothing is worse than a Dark Pact.

Also as a heads up, some of you are making gameplay decisions in posts other than your orders. It's way easier for me to keep track of when you post with your orders, since I look for the headers when processing the turns.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 31, 2014

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Charlie Kane, The Politician – TheLovablePlutonis
Space: San Francisco
Health: 4/4 , Sanity 7/8
Lor:2 , Inf:4+1 , Obs:3 , Str:2 , Wil:2
  • Action: Another Investigator may immidiately perform one additional action.
  • When you Acquire Assets, you may give cards you purchase to other investigators.
  • Personal Assistant (2, Ally, Gain +1 Inf and reroll 1 die during Inf tests) Used automatically

Getting crazy is half the fun on CoC games. Taking that sanity drop and craziness instead of getting rid of the assistant.

It's not too long before Kane listens to a radio dispatch of a man who looks like him wreaking havoc on Argentina, fighting a swordsman on the street. My god, what will the press think of him? What damage will this cause to his future presidential ambitions? The rest of the Senate, they will never let that go... No... No!!! drat it all! He starts sputtering for a few minutes, collapsing on the floor after a slight mental breakdown. "This... This is going to be the death of me." He mumbles while trying to call the Bureau. It takes a hefty bribe, one that made him take a loan from the local South African banks, to ensure that they will help with the situation at hand. They send a small airplane at the depths of the Australian badlands, doing a bomb run at the clock-faced abominations within it and then returning before the Australian government can find out that they were ever there.

Acquire assets: 5d6t5 2
Acquire assets reroll: 1d6t5 0

Gahhh! Taking a debt to buy the Bureau Service (4) and using it at the Tick-Tock!

Action 2: Giving an extra turn to Mark.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Giving another action to Leo might be a little wasted if he's just hanging around waiting for combat.

• Locked thread