Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

All right, found it. So yeah, that's already three clue tokens you put on the second mystery of the eight.

Mystery phase going to be for tomorrow somewhere though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Shogeton posted:

Also, the player for Leo gets to pick whether he wants to get Delayed to improve Lore.

Just want to make sure there's nothing pressing nearby first, but if not than sure, I'll delay.

Also, thanks for continuing to run this, Shogeton. Krysm did a great job, but understandably it takes a lot of time and real-life takes precedence.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

So I'm on a weekend trip with my daughter to Manhattan, My ability to post will be hampered until Tuesday Morning. sorry.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Also, waiting for Jivjov to say where he wants to pop out after returning from Space and Time before I can finish off the Mythos phase. Hope they're still with us. I sent them a PM.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 19, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Shogeton posted:

Also, waiting for Jivjov to say where he wants to pop out after returning from Space and Time before I can finish off the Mythos phase. Hope they're still with us. I sent them a PM.

Apologies for the delay! The same malaise that took Krysm out of the picture has kinda been affecting the whole house. I was briefly Lost in Time and Space myself.

Norman was very very confused. Everything was spinning. He remembered something about a long haired man in a foppish coat...an odd blue box...an alien invasion, and something about a war for time itself...but now....now things were just spinning. Where was he? What had happened? What was going on? Norman forced his eyes open and focused on what he could. Buildings. People. Traffic. It looked like....Chicago? Why was he in Chicago?

City space #5. Wanted to be central to a bunch of stuff going on, also able to get resources and tickets, etc.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Mythos phase posted:

Advance Omen
Reckoning
Spawn Gates

Advance Omen: Red Constellation: Rome and Sidney are open, Doom advances to 8

Reckoning
Only monster with Reckoning is Gnoph Ken in Himalayas, noone's there.
Ancient One Reckoning: nobody is standing on an open Gate
No rumors are active
Charlie's Debt is due:

Debt Card posted:

Unwilling Servant: A sorcerer holds you down and carves a symbol in your forehead. “Time to pay what you owe.” he says. You attempt to dispel the darkness that fills your thoughts. Test Lore. If you fail, you have no recollection of your actions: gain the amnesia Condition

I took some time to make sure I was not loving up. And noted this.
Charlie had Amnesia
Its reckoning happened and gave him a curse, then discarded the Amnesia
However, he got rid of his curse by taking up a debt
And now that debt gets a reckoning and gives him Amnesia.

Diana:
Internal Injury: Reckoning Internal Injury: 3d6t4 1 Safe
Hallucinations: Reckoning Hallucinations: 1d6t4 1 Safe
Diana's debt comes due:

Debt card posted:

Debt Collector: The man in the silk suit hands you a large stack of papers. I believe you'll find this offer quite reasonable.” His smile reminds you of a shark. It's clear that he will not take “no” for an answer. Influence test. If you fail, discard 2 item possessions. Then discard this card
Reckoning effect debt, influence test: 2d6t4 2 Safe
Does Diana keep her blessing?
Reckoning Blessing: 1d6t3 1: Yes, everything's coming up Diana it seems.

Silas:
Reckoning Hallucinations: 3d6t5 3: Safe

Mark:
I noticed that you never rolled to see if you can heal the Leg Injury last round when you rested. I made the roll for you:
Forgotten heal attempt for Leg Injury: 1d6t5 0; Leg keeps smarting. Let's see if it comes up in the reckoning.
Reckoning Strength Roll for Leg injury: 4d6t5 2 Safe

Spawn Gates

We've actually went through the whole deck of 9 gates in the meantime. Which meant that at the end of last turn, the Gate Deck was empty and the discard was reshuffled. Relevant because it means that London, San Fransisco and Buenos Aires are still in the Discard pile, while Rome and Sidney remain on the board. This is to your advantadge, as you will soon see.

A Blue gate opens in Tokyo A Deep One Spawns
A Red gate opens in Shanghai A Mummy spawns and gets moved to the pyramids
Event

Mythos Card posted:

Ever since you first arrived here, you've felt the call of that other world. An entire land of wonders awaits you just past that threshold, and you find yourself unable to resist the temptation any longer.
Each Investigator on a space containing a Gate tests (Will – 2). If they fail, they gain a Lost in Time and Space Condition.

Which is absolutely nobody.

Ancient One: Yog-Sothoth, The Lurker at the Threshold
Omen: Green Comet -> Blue Constellations -> Red Eclipse -> Blue Constellations -> Green Comet
Doom: 8
Mythos Deck: 10 Cards Remain
Reckoning: Each Investigator on a space containing a Gate advances Doom by 1 unless they discard 1 Spell.

Second Mystery: The Beyond One 3/8 Clues placed
Yog-Sothoth exists in all places at all times. To any soul foolish enough to seek it, the Ancient One can unlock limitless knowledge and power, but it always comes at a price.
After an investigator resolves a Research Encounter, they may spend 1 Clue they gained from that encounter and place that Clue on this card.
At the end of the Mythos Phase, if there are Clues on this card equal to Investigators (8), solve this Mystery.

Board Information
Active Gates: , Sydney (Red), Rome (Red), Shanghai (Red), Tokyo (Blue)
Clues: 1, 2, 6, 8, 10, 12, Istanbul The Amazon, The Himalaya
Expedition: Antarctica
Monsters:
  • (Himalayas) Gnoph-Keh: Wil vs 1 Horror, Str-2 vs 2 Damage, 3 Toughness. Spawns in Himalayas
    Reckoning: Each investigator on this space loses 1 Health.
  • (Heart of Africa) Cthonian: Wil-1 vs 2 Horror, Str-2 vs 3 Damage, 4 Toughness. Spawns in Heart of Africa.
  • (Pyramids) Mummy, Will VS strength 2, Str-2 vs 2, 3/3 Toughness. When this monster is spawned, move it to the Pyramids
  • (Tokyo) Deep One: Wil vs 2 Horror, Str-1 vs 1 Damage, 2 Toughness. Reckoning: Each investigator on this space loses 1 Sanity.
  • (Rome) Vampire: Wil vs 1 Horror, Str-2 vs 2 Damage, 3 Toughness. If you fail the Wil test, do not resolve the Str test. If you lose Health from the Str test and this Monster is not defeated, it recovers 2 Health.
Asset Reserve:
  • 2: Syndicate Agent (Ally,Gain +2 Str during Combat and reroll 1 die during a Str test during Combat.)
  • 2: Holy Cross (Item, Gain +2 Wil during Combat.)
  • 2: Axe (Item, Gain +2 Str during Combat. Spend 2 Sanity to reroll any number of dice during a Str test during Combat.)
  • 2: Holy Water (Item - Magical, Discard to gain +5 Wil and Str during a Combat Encounter. Action: Discard to give an Investigator on your space Blessed.)
  • 0: Bank Loan, Service, When performing Acquire Assets, gain a Debt Condition to add 2 successes.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 20, 2015

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So I'm thinking that I should do one of three things: get the clue on the nearby space and slap it on the mystery, hit up the expedition, or go to Sydney and close the gate.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Should we all go a clue hunting if we're not gate sealing?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

We definitely want to seal the three(!) red gates we have before the dial swings back around to red. The most immediate gate threat is the single blue gate on Tokyo. We have a lot of players, so we can probably split between gates and clues pretty easily.

Do expedition spaces have a higher chance of research encounters/clues? I really want to clear that, since it's been sitting there forever.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Main benefit of Expedition Encounter is that you can get an Artifacts from them. You can also gain clues from them, but those don't go on the mystery., they're just for you to use, just like the Clues from the Police ledger item. Only clues from a Research Encounter, one of the green looking glass things, will help you solve the mystery. (and if you use them like that, you don't get to use them like normal clues of course)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Jacqueline Fine, The Psychic – Green Intern
Space: Buenos Aires > 12 > Antarctica
Health: 3/4 , Sanity: 8/8
Lor:4 , Inf:2 , Obs:3 , Str:1+1 , Wil:3+1
  • Action: You may trade any number of Clues with any Investigator
  • 1/round when another Investigator gains a non-Common Condition, reveal the back and gain 1 Clue
  • +1 Will Improvement
    ---
  • Bodyguard (Ally, Gain +1 Str. Reduce the damage of Monsters you encounter by 1 (min 1))
    ---
  • 1 Clue (Hallucinations!)

Jacqueline returns from the portal, her head filled with strange visions and new hope. Perhaps the doom that threatens the world can be beaten. There was something out there that would be of incredible use to them, if only she had the will to hunt it down. Bidding farewell to Silas, Jacqueline makes her preparations and travels to Antarctica to meet the fate told in her visions.
---
Action 1: Prep for Ocean Travel
Action 2: Go to Antarctica and have an Expedition Encounter! Use the clue if it would make a difference between success and failure.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 28, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well I have no choice but to go to Sydney if I want to get out of Australia any time soon, so Mark will be having a fun gate adventure later. Anyone who wants to join me is free to, otherwise there's plenty of other important stuff to do and other gates/clues to go for. Full post to come later in the evening.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

I'll take the Rome gate, I'll put up a post tonight.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Delayed :(. Bad times.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Diana Staley, The Redeemed Cultist – Mykkel
Space: London->Rome
Health: 7/7 , Sanity: 4/5
Lor:4 , Inf:2 , Obs:3 , Str:3 , Wil:1
  • Action: If there is a Cultist on your space either discard all Monsters or move the Cultist to any other space.
  • Reduce the horror of Monsters you encounter to 1.
  • Arcane Manuscripts (1, Item – Tome, +1 Lor during Spells)
  • Wither (Incantation, During Combat test Lor to gain +3 Str for that Combat – then flip))
    (0: Discard this card or gain an Internal Injury Condition. 1: Lose 1 Sanity. 2+: Reroll 1 die during the Str test.) Declare before Combat
  • Blessing of Isis (Ritual, Action: Test Lor-1 to give an Investigator on your space a Blessed Condition. They can't be Blessed already. - then flip)
    (Back: 0: Target is cursed. 1: You lose 1 Sanity. 2+: No additional Effect)
  • Lucky Ring, Trinket – Magical, Reroll 1 die for any test.
  • Healing Words (Incantation, When an investigator on your space Rests, test Lor to let them recover an additional Health and Sanity - then flip)
    (Back: Unknown)
  • Witch Doctor (Ally, Investigators on your space recover 1 additional Health or discard a Cursed Condition when they Rest
  • Blessed (Boon, Count test successes on 4+ instead. If you gain Blessed again, flip this card instead. If you gain Cursed, discard both cards. Reckoning: Roll 1 die. On a 2-, discard this card.)
  • Train Ticket
  • Ship ticket
  • Internal Injury (Injury, When you Rest, roll 1 die. On a 5+, discard this card. Reckoning: Test Str. If you fail, flip this card.)

Diana sank into the tub as the warm water soaked into her bones. The Thames was rife with refuse. She was pretty sure nothing would remove the stench of the deep one from her skin.
Madame Ubungu thought Diana neede to head to the seat of "The holy man with gold clothes" Diana was looking forward to Rome. London had gone exceedingly well, as long as she could control the mad visions and ignored the discomfort in her ribs. She was relieved to hear that the bank considered her ledger cleared.
It was only as she came off the train into Rome that she realized that she hadn't seen a false image since leaving London. It appeared the Thames had cleansed her mind in some fashion.
Madame Ubungu stiffened in fear as the sun began to set. "Obayifo" she started to pull Diana towards a chapel, pushing when Diana didn't move quick enough for her. "Obayifo!" Diana wasn't clear what the word meant. But it must be worse then a deep one.

Action 1: Rest. +1 Sanity. Attempt to discard Hallucinations: 1d6t5 1 Attempt to discard Internal Injury: 1d6t5 0
Action 2: Travel to Rome

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Mark Harrigan, The Soldier – Kai Tave
Space: Space 21 (Australia) -> Sydney
Health: 5/8 , Sanity: 4/4
Lor:1 , Inf:2 , Obs:2 , Str:4 , Will:4
Conditions: Leg Injury
  • Action: You and 1 monster on your space each lose 1 Health
  • You cannot become Delayed or Detained unless you choose to
  • .38 Revolver (1, Item – Weapon , +2 Str during Combat)
  • .18 Derringer (Trinket - Weapon, Add 1 to the result of 1 die when resolving a Str test during Combat)
  • 1 Clue

It was a calmer and more serene Mark that finally returned from the Australian outback days later. He was unshaven and sunburned, his clothes rumpled and stained with something that looked like motor oil, but there was a sense of contentment in his eyes that hadn't been there when he'd set out in search of Pyotr's "convergence." His memories of the last few days still had a dreamlike quality to them, but the monsters he'd found had been very real.

And now they were dead. That little pocket pistol had come in handy after all.

Satisfied as he was, though, this was the end of the trail. Pyotr's notebook was blank past that final page. He'd come to Australia in search of answers but kept finding more questions instead, questions he was ill equipped to answer on his own. The newspapers in the hotel were reporting on riots in San Francisco and strange lights sighted over Chicago (and an article, several days old, reporting on an unexplained fire started down in the local sewer tunnels. He resisted the urge to save it). Whatever was happening it wasn't over yet, he could feel it.

So here he was back in Sydney, with no leads, a dwindling billfold, and half a box of ammunition. Right now all he wanted to do was rest, sleep in a real bed and eat a real breakfast instead of wild roast rabbit (still better than what he'd eaten during the War though). Just a couple of days, he told himself. Hot showers, coffee, a shave...if the world ended before then, well, it was probably too late to do anything about it anyhow. Just a couple of days. What could go wrong?

Action 1: Move to Sydney.
Action 2: Rest. I go from 4 Health to 5 Health and test to get rid of my leg injury. Nope, still got it.

I have a single Clue which I'll use to assist me in trying to close this Gate if applicable.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Just got a PM from Plutonis, who had already de-bookmarked the thread. He's sadly not gonna make it back, so we're looking for a replacement player. In order to keep things rolling, I'm gonna very simply go with law of dibs. First person claiming it in the thread gets it.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Trish Scarborough, The Spy – Mistaya
Space: Space 15->Space 10
Health: 6/7 , Sanity: 5/5
Lor:1 , Inf:3 , Obs:4 , Str:3 , Wil:2+1
  • Action: If you do not have any clues, gain 1 Clue
  • If an Investigator on your space spends a Clue to reroll a die, they may reroll 2 dice instead.
  • .45 Automatic (2, Item – Weapon, +3 Str during Combat)
  • Tear Gas, Item – Weapon, Discard to reroll 2 dice during a Str test in combat and reduce the Monster's damage by 2
  • Lodge Research, Ally, When you defeat a Monster during Combat, recover 1 Sanity and gain 1 Clue.
  • Bull Whip (1, Item - Weapon, Gain +1 Str during Combat, and reroll 1 die during Str tests in Combat)
  • +1 Will
  • 1 Train ticket
  • 1 Clue

Success! And the trail leads north...

Action 1: Gain a Clue with my personal action. (added above)
Action 2: Moving to Space 10. Trying for the Clue.

(Sorry for the :effort: I'm kinda sick and don't want to hold things up.)

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Shogeton posted:

Just got a PM from Plutonis, who had already de-bookmarked the thread. He's sadly not gonna make it back, so we're looking for a replacement player. In order to keep things rolling, I'm gonna very simply go with law of dibs. First person claiming it in the thread gets it.
Do I need a copy of the game to play?

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007

UnCO3 posted:

Do I need a copy of the game to play?

Nope, rules are available in the OP and he updates the board etc

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Okay, I'll get up to speed on this tonight.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Good to have you with us. I hang around on IRC a lot in #madgod on synirc.net if there's anything that needs clarifying.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Charlie Kane, The Politician – UnCO3
Space: The Pyramids->Rome
Health: 4/4 , Sanity 7/8
Lor:2 , Inf:4+1 , Obs:3 , Str:2 , Wil:2
  • Action: Another Investigator may immidiately perform one additional action.
  • When you Acquire Assets, you may give cards you purchase to other investigators.
  • Personal Assistant (2, Ally, Gain +1 Inf and reroll 1 die during Inf tests) Used automatically
  • Carbine Rifle (3, Item - Weapon, 1/round you may gain +5 Str during Combat)
  • Amnesia (Madness, When you perform a Rest action, you may roll 1 die. On a 5+, discard this card. Reckoning: Test Wil. If you fail, flip this card.)

Charlie isn't quite sure how he ended up on a steamer in the ports of Rome. The last thing he can remember is taking the plane to Cairo, and the cabin boy he harangued earlier just muttered something and desperately tried to avoid looking at his face. His... forehead.

Well, that's not important. What is important is that his frantic attempts to make contact with someone, anyone that could tell him just what is going on and give him some help in this mess end in dismal failure. Looks like he'll be sleeping on the streets of Rome tonight - or not, as a strange man who claims to be an American missionary on his way to Africa is able to lend him a place to sleep and a silver canteen of water, though it comes at a hefty price. What kind of missionary charges for what should be charity?

Action 1: Move to Rome.
Action 2: Acquire Assets. Acquire Assets at Rome: 5d6t5 0, Re-roll on Acquire Assets in Rome: 1d6t5 0, taking out a Bank Loan to get the Holy Water.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 23, 2015

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Yeesh.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man, I don't know what I was thinking popping out on space 5...I'm nowhere near anything important...

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
You could go to San Fransisco and get a boat ticket, then next turn you could get to Shanghai while Lord Koth goes to Tokyo.

EDIT: Or hang around North America grabbing clues I guess?

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 23, 2015

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Is it worth taking on Debt to grab the Holy Water and use it on Diana next turn to flip her Blessed card?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

In my opinion, getting another Blessed condition on the board would be more useful in the long run. Debts are not always very painful, so it could be worth taking one.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Alright, that's sorted. I'll be keeping the Holy Water and using it on myself next turn unless flipping Diana's Blessing would be significantly better than two Blessed investigators.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

If we knew what the back was, this would be a no-brainer. I think this condition popped up after I had already looked at another, or I rated knowing the back of a negative condition higher and picked that instead.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

I think 3 players rolling for 4 is better than 2 players. I can always attempt to bless myself a second time when I have a spare action.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Looks like Blessing of Isis doesn't work if you're already Blessed. I guess I should use the water on you and you should use the spell on me next turn.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

sounds like a plan. I should have reread the spell before posting.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Just in case there' s any confusion, I am paying attention. Didn't see any real changes on the board, so last orders stand. i.e. I'm delaying for the Lore boost.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Mostly waiting on Jivjov now, I think. Also, as the Holy Water gets bought, a new item becomes available

2: Syndicate Agent (Ally,Gain +2 Str during Combat and reroll 1 die during a Str test during Combat.)
2: Holy Cross (Item, Gain +2 Wil during Combat.)
2: Axe (Item, Gain +2 Str during Combat. Spend 2 Sanity to reroll any number of dice during a Str test during Combat.)
2: Private Care (Service, When you gain this card, immediately recover all Health and Sanity. Then discard this card.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Norman Withers, The Astronomer – Jivjov
Space: Arkham
Health: 4/5 , Sanity: 5/7
Lor:3 , Inf:1 , Obs:3 , Str:2 , Wil:5 (4+1)
  • Action: Spend 2 clues to discard 1 Monster on a space with a Gate
  • 1/round, you may spend 1 Sanity instead of 1 Clue
  • Elder Sign (2, Trinket – Magical, Reroll 1 die during a Wil test in Combat, and reduce the Monster's horror by 1.)
  • +1 Will Improvement

After getting his bearings, Norman dragged himself to the nearest train station and headed for San Francisco. Maybe a nice train ride would settle his nerves...unfortunately, he managed to fall asleep on the train, get missed by the porters, and woke up in an entirely different city! Well...maybe there would be something to find here...

1. Buy train ticket
2. Move to space 6 via San Fran using said ticket.

Sorry for all the delay. Its been a rough week.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 27, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Working on update now. Small note: Don't forget that Normal lost 2 sanity from putting up with the antics of the Doctor.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Rome

Madame Ubungu hurriedly takes Diana into a chapel, hurriedly closing the door behind them, trusting her even if she doesn't understand what the witch doctor warns her about. But when she turns to look at the chapel, she notices that there might hang a large crucifix, but subtly carved into the decoration on the walls were other symbols. Of other, darker gods. Whatever sanctity this place might have provided has been thoroughly fouled.

The breaking of a stained-glass window confirms this. The figure lands on the altar in front of her. It's vaguely humanoid, but its bald, maggot pale head has ears that are too sharp, its mouth is too wide with jagged teeth that are too large. And its eyes are red as they bore into her.

“Your companion thought your weak, impotent crucified god would offer some protection. But what is happening now has been coming for eons, you pathetic ants. There is no place left for you to run. You should know better, Diana.”

Combat Will VS 1 horror vampire: 1d6t4 1

Its gaze seems to paralyze her, even as it calls her name. But she finds a measure of resolve, holding out her manuscripts, she chant the spell, almost tripping over the syllables in her distress. But the spell works.

Casting Wither: 5d6t4 1

Ring Reroll for wither casting: 1d6t4 1 two successes, so a reroll on the combat check

The vampire screams as it leaps at her, only to find its cold, undead flash wither as if the natural world itself suddenly wanted to reclaim what was denied. Looking like a half mummified remnant, the creature flees, jumping out of the stained glass windows, the hunter turned into prey.

Combat Str-2 Vs 2 damage Vampire: 4d6t4 1

rerolls for ring + wither: 2d6t4 1 Vampire takes 2 damage, survives, but did not deal any damage so does not heal.

It leaps on the nighttime roofs of the Eternal City, making an escape. However, on another roof, Charlie Kane and his assistant were waiting. He doesn't know why, apparently his assistant had told him that he had ordered this at some point? His memories are still confused. Yet he knows one thing, that creature had to die. And he always did enjoy skeet shooting.

He has a perfect bead. But then the creature looks at him, and the senator freezes. His finger couldn't pull the trigger any more than he could take flight. It only lasts three seconds. But three seconds is all it needs to escape. Likely, it is returning wherever the Gate was. He looks down on the street, where Diana and Madame Ubungu notice him.

Combat Will VS 1 horror vampire: 2d6t5 0 Charlie fails the will roll, no combat with the vampire.

Antarctica
The cold wastes of Antarctica are enough to make one pine for the warmth of Buenos Aires, even with all the problems she had found there. The rest of the expedition is excedingly sceptical of following her 'visions', but thye had been strictly ordered to give her their fullest cooperation. And she is vindicated. A cave is found. As she travels inside, suddenly, the ground gives way beneath her.

Antarctica Expedition Encounter posted:

You hear a faint sound echoing up from the caves that lead down into the darkness. You listen carefully to discern the sound's origin (Obs).

Obs Test in expedition: 3d6t5 2 success

Antarctica Expedition Encounter posted:

You identify the sound of shoggoths. You escape, but can barely keep yourself conscious waiting for a rescue (Will). If you pass, you spot something on the cave floor; gain1 Artifact.

Will test in expedition: 4d6t5 1 Gain 1 artifact.

As she's sitting in the sled going back north, still wracked with shivers that have little to do with the cold, she holds the thing she has found. Through the box, she sees an injured, rough looking man sitting in the middle of an impossibly large library, reading through a stone tablet as large as he is. With this, the holes in reality at the Arkham church and in Buenos Aires should be easier to mend. She also sees another image. A flash of an ancient temple in a jungle.

You get an artifact
    Gate Box –,Item, magical: (Investigators on your space roll 1 additional die when resolving tests during other world encounters. If you close a gate during an Other World Encounter, gain 1 clue)

Sidney

Makr returns to Sidney. It seems like an eternity ago when you fought the Shoggoth here, but it hasn't been that long. But then again, how much time does the world have? Breaking the clock does not stop the time from ticking. But he is just a man. A man with an aching leg, not enough sleep and sand in his everywhere.

But the world does not grant him much respite. Reading a newspaper, it speaks of recent disappearances in the sewers. Near the place he fought that monster of flesh. Further inquiry tells you that a blonde American woman had also been inquiring about it. She'd left on a ship a few days ago though, bound for Africa.

And so, he goes back down again. And this time, he finds the root of the problem. A portal. Just like Tokyo. But this time, there isn't a Norman or even a Pyotr to tell him what to do. Just Mark and his guns. He goes inside.

He arrives in a library. But there are no books. Only stone tablets. Looking up he sees endless floors with more stone tablets to read. Not expecting much, he starts to read one of them, hoping for good luck.

Otherworld Encounter Great Halls of Celaeno posted:

The book you are reading describes complex rituals in very abstract terms. You do your best to comprehend the dense material (lore)
Other World Encounter Lore: 1d6t5 0
Clue Reroll: 1d6t5 1 Clue used, but spell gained.

You gradually begin to see a pattern emerge. Gain 1 spell. After staring so long at the book, however, you've forgotten how to get back home. You ask others in the library for help. (inf-1)
Other World inf -1 test: 1d6t5 0

If you fail, you wander the Great Hall; become delayed.
Gain the Instill Bravery spell, become delayed. But Mark cannot be delayed unless he chooses to, so he does not. Also, regarding an earlier question is 'why would you choose to'. Some cards offer you the choice between one bad thing and becoming delayed, or to become delayed in order to gain something. In that case, you are not immune to being delayed, since you chose it.[/i]

Initially, people are a bit reluctant to help him. They seem to hold him in contempt as a mere soldier among intellectuals. But you're out of patience, and it turns out grabbing someone by the front of their robe and some quiet threats convince them to show you the exit. Without any information on how to close the gate though.

Space 6, Mexico City

Mexico City, sprawling and hot. Norman could look for a long time here. However, he noticed some grafiti on the walls that resembled some of the signs that the woman young Diana woman who had helped him in Arkham had worn. They lead him to a building in the outskirts.

city research encounter posted:

You attempt to sneak into the local Silver Twilight Lodge. (obs)
Research Encounter Obs: 3d6t5 1

City Research encounter posted:

Ifyou pass, you find a chart that assigns the names of wizards to seasons of the year: Gain this Clue and 1 additional clue. Sanford corresponds to spring, Waite to Summer, Curwen to Autumn, and Eibon to Winter. You remember the information in case it someday proves useful.
Clue 4/8 on the mistery. And the other clue you get to keep
Alongside the chart, you find parts of an ancient binding ritual. Notes are written about other parts being searched for. They make mention of a 'Government woman' called Trish being on a trail, but that 'the time-keeping allies' who passed over any information about her had gone quiet. It looks like he might have more allies than he'd previously known.

Space10: The Sahara

Following the trail turns out to be quite literal. The people who stole the Senator's book, the ones who sold it to that shop had connections to an international smuggler ring. Smugglers that care little about coin, but always seem to gather books. They often go somewhere in the desert.

Wilderness Research Encounter posted:

You find footprints that indicate a large number of people passed through the area. You try to follow their path. (obs-1)[/i]
Research Encounter obs-1: 3d6t5 2
[quote="Wilderness Research Encounter"]If you pass, the trail leads you to an ancient stone circle inscribed with runes; gain this clue and 1 spell.

With the books from the Capetown shop together, the runes can be translated. It's parts of a greater ritual. A ritual that could help keep this growing doom at bay for a while. But it's still incomplete.

Get a shriveling spell, and get the clue. Again, I'm assuming this clue goes on the mystery, rather than on yourself, putting you at 5/8 for this mystery.

shriveling posted:

Shriveling (Ritual, Action: Test Lore. If you pass, choose a monster on your space to lose 2 Health. Then flip this card

Buenos Aires

Silas wanders the streets of Buenos Aires in a haze, living among the homeless as his perception floats in and out of reality. Then, at one point, near a book store, his focus is drawn towards one man who's looking into a new load of books that has just arrived from Africa.

Generic Buenos Aires Encounter posted:

A wel-dressed man is browsing for antique books. Something about him seems strange.
Generic Buenos Aires encounter Obs: 3d6t5 2

generic Buenos Aires Encounter posted:

If you pass, you see that he's one of the serpent people in disguise; lose 1 sanity and gain 1 clue.
Lose 1 sanity and gain 1 clue. A loss would also have cost you sanity, but no clue

He looks human but he isn't. He really isn't. Can't trust your senses, can't trust people. It was a strain on his mind. Silas follows him through a few recurring nightmares of a horrific storm he had once been in, and finds out the man is heading into the Amazonian jungle.

San Fransisco

Tim is the name of your temporary companion. You'd think he'd have a lot more trouble dealing with earth, but he seems to come there with some disturbing regularity. After a few days where he teaches you many things, a look of sympathy in his eyes at your horror at the vastness of the universe, he receives some letters and even invitations.

However, he doesn't have time. He says he feels this place is not a place he'd hang around for the bomb to burst. He even invites Leo a place on his ship. To just leave it all behind and escape. When Leo refuses he nods, wishes him the best of luck. Then he hands him an invitation and a letter of introduction.

“Maybe these people can be of some help to you. I sure hope so. I like San Fransisco and the people here. Maybe if you succeed, I'll even be able to visit it again.”

You look at the invitation? Hearst Castle? The most highly exclusive estate where the political elite and the Hollywood stars mingled?

San Fransisco generic encounter posted:

You are invited to the Hearst Castle and find yourself surrounded by the best and brightest. You may become delayed to stay for a few days. If you become Delayed, you pick up some amazing talents; improve 1 skill of your choice.

I talked to Mistaya in private. He's gonna be delayed, improve Influence.

Leo and his crew is initially looked upon in askance, but Tim's letter seems to open all the doors for him, though no information as to who he is is forthcoming. The next days are... relaxing. Perhaps enough to feel some guilt. But they're not without results. Many people of influence find themselves curious of you. The famous actor Clark Gable in particular seems to have a great amount of patience for whatever story you wish to tell. And even seems to believe it.

“I wish I was half the hero I could be in some of these movies, Leo.” He says one night. “Or even some of the villains you could have made us of I'm thinkin'. But I'm just an actor. But there's some things I can do. Lemme give you some names, and you tell 'em the Cadiz Kid wants them to help you out. I'll foot the bill. Oh, and don't worry about the legal problems about what you had to do a few days ago. We'll take care of it.”

He takes cigar, offers you one “Oh, and if you see Senator Charlie Kane somewhere, tell him to come by the Hearst Castle soon. I'm curious what stories he's got to tell.”

No need for any decisions, so we go straight to Mythos

Mythos

Mythos Card posted:

Spawn Clues 3 11 16 Shanghai

Only Clues? Guess what that means

Pyotr moved through the snow of Eastern Russia, a manic grin on his face. He was loudly talking to himself as he went.

“...and he was probably compromized anyway. Didn't even see the connections, clear as day. I guess that's why he entered the temple no problem. Too stupid to see the danger. What was the bearded American doing there? Who does he serve? Not important. Not now. Gotta go back. Gotta go back to the start. Yog Sototh. The hermit. The hermit knows more. The American just wasn't patient. Didn't understand. But Pyotr can be patient. Even if there isn't much time.” He giggled. “Not much time at all, not much time at all. I am right, I will show them I am right, and it will all happen just as I said it would. If you just open your eyes it is clear, but nobody listens to Pyotr. Well, the hermit will listen.”

He arrived at the place and opened the door. “Good day. Today we will talk about...” And for one of the first times, Pyotr was dumb founded. The hermit was spread all over his little cabin, his eyes still staring from a peeled skull. Pyotr stepped back, then heard the sounds from around him.

“See! I was right.”

There was a final hysterical little giggle, before it turned into a scream that echoed over the tundra.

Return of the Ancient One posted:

After a sudden burst of flying debris, you are confronted by a terrifying figure It is a stark reminder of the dark forces in this world are working tirelessly to annihilate you.
When an Investigator on space 19 defeats a Monster, they may spend 1 Clue to place that monster on this card.
When the total toughness of Monsters on this card is equal to or greater than 8, solve this Rumor.
REK: Spawn 1 Monster on space 19 Then if there are 4 or more Monsters on space 19, advance Doom to 0 and solve this Rumor.

Ancient One: Yog-Sothoth, The Lurker at the Threshold
Omen: Green Comet -> Blue Constellations -> Red Eclipse -> Blue Constellations -> Green Comet
Doom: 8
Mythos Deck: 9 Cards Remain
Reckoning: Each Investigator on a space containing a Gate advances Doom by 1 unless they discard 1 Spell.

Second Mystery: The Beyond One 5/8 Clues placed
Yog-Sothoth exists in all places at all times. To any soul foolish enough to seek it, the Ancient One can unlock limitless knowledge and power, but it always comes at a price.
After an investigator resolves a Research Encounter, they may spend 1 Clue they gained from that encounter and place that Clue on this card.
At the end of the Mythos Phase, if there are Clues on this card equal to Investigators (8), solve this Mystery.

Rumor: Return of the Ancient One 0/8 Toughness placed
After a sudden burst of flying debris, you are confronted by a terrifying figure It is a stark reminder of the dark forces in this world are working tirelessly to annihilate you.
When an Investigator on space 19 defeats a Monster, they may spend 1 Clue to place that monster on this card.
When the total toughness of Monsters on this card is equal to or greater than 8, solve this Rumor.
REK: Spawn 1 Monster on space 19 Then if there are 4 or more Monsters on space 19, advance Doom to 0 and solve this Rumor.

Board Information
Active Gates: , Sydney (Red), Rome (Red), Shanghai (Red), Tokyo (Blue)
Clues: 1, 2, 3, 8, 11, 12, 16 The Amazon, The Himalaya, Shanghai
Expedition: The Amazon
Monsters:
  • (Himalayas) Gnoph-Keh: Wil vs 1 Horror, Str-2 vs 2 Damage, 3 Toughness. Spawns in Himalayas
    Reckoning: Each investigator on this space loses 1 Health.
  • (Heart of Africa) Cthonian: Wil-1 vs 2 Horror, Str-2 vs 3 Damage, 4 Toughness. Spawns in Heart of Africa.
  • (Pyramids) Mummy, Will VS strength 2, Str-2 vs 2, 3/3 Toughness. When this monster is spawned, move it to the Pyramids
  • (Tokyo) Deep One: Wil vs 2 Horror, Str-1 vs 1 Damage, 2 Toughness. Reckoning: Each investigator on this space loses 1 Sanity.
  • (Rome) Vampire: Wil vs 1 Horror, Str-2 vs 2 Damage, 1/3 Toughness. If you fail the Wil test, do not resolve the Str test. If you lose Health from the Str test and this Monster is not defeated, it recovers 2 Health.
Asset Reserve:
  • 2: Syndicate Agent (Ally,Gain +2 Str during Combat and reroll 1 die during a Str test during Combat.)
  • 2: Holy Cross (Item, Gain +2 Wil during Combat.)
  • 2: Axe (Item, Gain +2 Str during Combat. Spend 2 Sanity to reroll any number of dice during a Str test during Combat.)
  • 2: Private Care (Service, When you gain this card, immediately recover all Health and Sanity. Then discard this card.
    )
  • 0: Bank Loan, Service, When performing Acquire Assets, gain a Debt Condition to add 2 successes.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 28, 2015

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Oh my god that rumor. :gonk:

I can start feeding people clues as needed. I should be able to get more with this gate box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Is there actually a monster on space 19 already? It doesn't look like it, or maybe I'm just being dense.

• Locked thread