Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Easily Goldeneye and Ocarina of Time - probably just the N64 in general. The games have aged so badly that I can't go back and play them, but at the time they blew my 12 year old mind. So many hours playing 4-player splitscreen Goldeneye with my friends, and Ocarina of Time was like nothing I'd ever experienced in a game before. That first time you went into Hyrule field and realised that what you'd just finished was only the tutorial section...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Definitely Wario's woods. No game has captured my imagination like warios woods.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Dune II. I loved that stupid game and would replay the campaign a half a dozen times over a summer.

Shame it doesn't hold up at all anymore.

Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FF7. I was killing all these monsters and stuff, finally caught up to Sephiroth who was super evil, then bam, he plunges down from above and kills Aeris like a total bad rear end. She had lovely powers anyway.

Groly
Nov 4, 2009
Civilization II. Infinite City Sprawl, forever!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Nuclear Strike, although I never got past the first level when I played it as a 10-ish year old (not really played since). Just enjoyed loving about on the map. Probably only explored about 1% of its total content but it was pretty enjoyable!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got a Geforce FX 5200 many years ago, it came with a few games. Morrowind was one, I'd never even heard of the series at the time. I remember the water looking unbelievable, and at first being amazed how I could pick up anything. I got into editing and made myself a godly set of gear, but somehow still couldn't kill the last boss, who I reached by a glitch that made the floating spell last forever. I never did finish it until probably last year or year before

Hard to knock off Resident Evil 2 for me though. Its a trio of 2's actually, RE, Mortal Kombat and Diablo. So many hours.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I am an aged man, of 40 years, and when I was a kid I had a Dragon 32, an Amstrad 464, a PC and then eventually my first console, the PS1, then PS2, Xbox, 360, PS3, Wii, PS4, and then Wii U.

So like: BEST GAMES FOR ME FROM THOSE ONES THAT MADE ME HAPPY TO PLAY:

Dragon 32:

Donkey Kong.

You could have different colours by loading a different version of the game. The normal version was eyepoppingly horrible, but I loved the Monochrome version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiLOu6ztIp4

Donkey Kong Jr.
EVEN BETTER.
http://www.dragonwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Junior%27s_Revenge

Amstrad:
Gryzor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRvwYtEFnNs
This had fabulous graphics for the time. I had a friend who had a spectrum, and he had some great games, but this looked amazing and head and shoulders over anything he could show me, including the Spectrum version of Gryzor. Plus amazing super lasers and the perspective change was cool.
Renegade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBDiblMsxTE
The sequel was a piece of poo poo, but it was so satisfying doing a flying kick to knock a dude off a motorcycle
Arkanoid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic8e6Ef0sJc
I never understood how they used the whole screen to play the game. Everything else had borders. It seemed like witchcraft. I spent hours playing this.

P.C.
We had a fairly ok PC for the time, but the first game I remember devoting hours to and replaying extensively was the original Prince of Persia. the entire system of swordfighting was lovely, and I spent ages running as fast as I could through the bitey steel doors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv20j8ChtRY

Cannon Fodder was incredibly funny to me, and running through the levels while blaring ministry in my headphones was truly gaming's ambrosia. The fallen shall never be forgotten.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PViwA1awSzc

PSX
Many many hours playing Tekken. I'm poo poo at it, as I have been for years, but I still love trying to wrap people into a pretzel with King.
Final Fantasy VII was my first exposure to proper RPGs and I spent about two solid months trying to beat it while dealing with a broken foot.

loving hell, I might come back to this.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

When WoW first came out, I couldn't get into it but my dad got bit. I spent all of sixth grade until high school 'helping' by reaching out for number keys at random and asking stupid questions mid-raid. To this day, hearing Warcraft in the next room over gets me nostalgic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All the obvious stuff, Secret of Mana, Atari 2600 stuff on a weird 200+ games in one thing called a TV boy that my grandma bought me, basically had a bunch of old atari games ripped off under other names. LOZ:LTTP. Crash Bandicoot and that.

But also I grew up playing my dad's old Amiga on an ancient tv with his giant library of bootleg floppies. I played a whole load of strange platformers from that era. There's a certain feel to games developed during the time of the Amiga that I just haven't seen since, you get it a bit in stuff like jazz jackrabbit or earthworm jim, but I remember playing James Pond 2: Robocod and it was just surreal.

Oh and some game called paradroid 90 where you fight robots and then take over them and fight other robots with them, also a weird but cool game.

arcaniche
Feb 3, 2015
StarTropics, hands down; The tropical theme, the fact that a yo-yo was used as a weapon, lots of hidden areas to explore, and the puzzle-solving and RPG-esque menu system all made this a tight game. Add two different types of top-down view for the overworld and dungeons respectively, false exits, non-standard ways of defeating some enemies and bosses, and NPCs with well-placed (albeit occasionally cheesy) dialogue, and you have one satisfyingly memorable game. Maybe it's just the 4-year-old in me that just refuses to grow up, but of all the 8-bit games I'm biased toward, this is closest to my heart. I beat that game at 6 through close to 2 years of sheer determination.

Close followers would be the C64 and NES Ultima series games, as well as all PS1-era and earlier Mega Man and Castlevania games.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Command and Conquer. I had played other games before but C&C truly got me hooked to gaming in general.

I can still hear the GDI commando going, "I've got a present for ya!" before placing a C4.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
This is going to be a strange one. I started gaming with my Sega Master System, so it's not like it's my first console (or even my first game of the genre), but I have a weird emotional response to the intro to this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU7ucnb2qwU It isn't even the proper intro to the game. The music seriously gives me chills.

gently caress, this sounds so awful, but I loved this game as a kid.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Really, really hard to say. I liked so many games growing up, played on both consoles and PC, I could never pick just one.

Like a lot of people said, Heroes 2 is my favorite in the series. I was one of the few people who actually liked 4 more than 3, but mostly because they had a better story going by then.

Command and Conquer also ranks pretty high up there, and a lot of it (beyond the bad controls that is) actually holds up today.

A Link to the Past gave me chills as I saw the credits rolling, and beating the final boss was amazing, had my heart pumping like nothing else.

Super Mario 64, as it was my first proper 3D platformer.

And lots and lots of Shareware games I've forgotten the name of since they came in bundles :smith:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Exposing myself as a tiny babby by saying the first Pokemon games. Blue. Just that great start screen and that tinny music with the Pokemon shifting makes me all warm and tingly inside. :3: Also, Paper Mario. Pretty easy, going back to it, but man, that game is so charming. ( Donkey Kong 64, for the record, does not hold up.)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
For me on the PC it was Age of Mythology (which I still consider the best RTS ever made) Roller Coaster/Zoo Tycoon, and Backyard Baseball 2001

For the PS2 I have to stick with the holy trinity that was Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, and Ratchet and Clank

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I have some pretty fond memories of Stunts by Brøderbund. I spent so much time making tracks and playing around with the really easily found glitches.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

For me on the PC it was Age of Mythology (which I still consider the best RTS ever made)

You meant Age of Empires, right? :P

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

All the free games I could get my hands on for Windows 95, including Hover, 3D Movie Maker, and the demos for Road Rash and Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Link to the past.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Dungeon Master on the Atari ST in '88 or something, which led me on to the Lands of Lore series.

Click skeletons erryday :skeltal:

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Super Metroid, Final Fantasy Tactics, and A Link to the Past. I can see those games in my minds eye when I think back to my childhood.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Gosh, there are a lot of interesting choices now that I've thought about it, but I'll go with what my gut instinct said straight off: SOS on SNES. It's a bit weird and it's definitely not one of the more popular choices, but it really had an impact on me by introducing me to one of my favorite genres: survival adventures. SOS had you attempt to escape a sinking ship in real-time with dynamic obstacles and minimal HUD. It was really ahead of its time with some of these aspects, and it reminds me of games like Broken Helix (another game I remember fondly!) where they were advertised as being in '4-D'. The game had a lot of re-playability due to the sheer amount of endings you could get, and the fact that when you're escaping, you can have access to different events depending on what character you selected, how the ship tilts, what rooms blow up or fill up with water, and so on. It definitely explains my love for games like Neo Scavenger, Don't Starve, Metro 2033 on ranger difficulty, etc.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
I can't really name one game in particular, but my fondest memory related to games is watching my big brother play games and him trying to teach me how to play them despite me being a poo poo kid at the time. Though overall the game that did the most impact was probably Secret of Mana, the graphics and the music were wonderful.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I always fondly remember lazy summer days playing Earthbound. Getting stuck trying to beat the drat Guardian Diggers, being stoked to finally do it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ultima VII, bakin' bread and singin' a sea shanty

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Knights of the Old Republic, the first one. It was my first Western RPG (I somehow missed Baldur's Gate until much later) and after only playing JRPGs up until that point I was blown away a game let me decide what I said and they reacted to it. It's obviously really simple compared to something like Alpha Protocol, and the second KOTOR had much better writing but KOTOR always felt more "Star Wars" to me. Plus to 12 year old me the twist blew my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonfiesta
Sep 4, 2012

kecske posted:

Dungeon Master on the Atari ST in '88 or something, which led me on to the Lands of Lore series.
I was JUST about to post this. There's just something about it. The charming style, musical atmosphere, and the silky-smooth gameplay in Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos still makes me all gooey and nostalgic after all these years. More recently, I played it for my four year old nephew and he also loved it. I have fond memories of the sequel too, although it hasn't aged nearly as well I'm afraid :eng99:

Bonfiesta fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 4, 2015

• Locked thread