Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Efexeye posted:

i dislike the guy because he's clearly much less entertaining than either Seth or Dean but *BIG* so he gets pushed to the moon? His style is utterly bland, compared to someone like Dean who is quite obviously much better at his craft and therefore deserving of the god push that Reigns is currently getting. hate is a pretty strong word but i dont think its unreasonable for a smark not to be in to reigns.

Isn't roman the shortest of the 3? Even saying he is the big one is spurious WWE pushed silliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I meant that he has more of the classic bodybuilder "not indie" look that Vince and co. like, as compared to the other two, even though Dean is pretty ripped and Seth is cut, neither is super "built".

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Efexeye posted:

I meant that he has more of the classic bodybuilder "not indie" look that Vince and co. like, as compared to the other two, even though Dean is pretty ripped and Seth is cut, neither is super "built".

Nether is Roman, he's built like an Uso under his bodyarmor.

What Roman is is marketable. Dean's too sleazy, Seth's too indie. Roman is mainstream marketable as gently caress. Handsome dude with big arms.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Great White Hope posted:

You're literally making up theories to why WWE, who has consistently screwed up young talent for years, is happening to screw up young talent again, and that theory is that they are doing so in order to make a talent that they wouldn't even have pin Big Show on the loving Christmas show look better.

Forgive me for not being convinced.

There's a line between booking that just wasn't that smart (choosing to have someone in the midst of a major push win by a countout they themselves caused rather than pinfall) and booking that is so damaging that it's at least possible that there was intent behind it (choosing to have the guy you've set up as your top badguy behind a part time champion lose 2.5 times in a single match despite booking it as 3-on-1 for the majority, robbing all agency from both participants in a PPV main event by having it decided by an explosion so neither gets over).

Sorry that I'm not all buttery about Roman Reign's JC Penny catalog good looks, maybe when he puts on a match or promo that doesn't put me to sleep I'll get back on his bandwagon. Until then it's his fault he lost my interest, not Vince's.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Sanguinia posted:

robbing all agency from both participants in a PPV main event by having it decided by an explosion so neither gets over
Last night's match ended cleanly, people still whined. "But but MY guy didn't go over! Stupid WWE!"

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

By a few accounts they operate internally like some weird cult, offering good things, then taking that away until the person in question is happy being given utter poo poo because hey it's close to the good thing I was looking at before. This seems to bleed over into the product.

Hearing standup comedians like Patrice Oneal talk about their writing gigs at WWE is hilarious because he was constantly under the threat of losing his job and constantly didn't give a poo poo because he could just go back out on the road. Rest in piss, black guy who lost to a guy in a nazi uniform in a taxi-hailing/heiling contest.

Keg fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 23, 2014

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

fariz posted:

Some of you are trying way way too hard to like Reigns. He's not prefect, but you're hyping up everything he does, all because you're afraid Vince will eventually stop liking him.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

DeathChicken posted:

Last night's match ended cleanly, people still whined. "But but MY guy didn't go over! Stupid WWE!"

I was actually very happy that Bray went over clean and that Dean got to get his heat back with a cheap shot and stand tall. From a character perspective it makes sense (despite it being a goofy christmas gimmick match) because Dean cares more about revenge and hurting people than winning and Bray needs to rebuild his credibility more than Dean does.

My problem with it is that the feud should have ended at TLC with a decisive winner, and now because it didn't it's a lot harder to invest in the outcome of what feels like an artificial extension, especially when that artificial extension came at the price of both men looking like goobers. There's a flow to storytelling, and when you botch the climax nobody is going to care when you try to take another whack at it a couple weeks later.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

We've been hurt so many times. :smith:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Now replace Reigns with Ziggler and watch the chaos ensue

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ScottyBomb posted:

Anyone else see this rumour they're exploring a backup option of having someone else win the Rumble instead of Reigns after seeing him get lukewarm reactions since coming back? Think they might be spooked about having another revolt like with Batista last year? Or are they dead set on Reigns headlining WM? Thoughts?
If it's not going to be Daniel Bryan, they'd better have Bryan show up at the top of the show to give an unambiguous "guys I'm sorry but I'm still recovering, I won't be in the match this year" promo.

But it should goddamn well be Daniel Bryan, he's surely well enough to come in at #30 (or 40, I thought I heard they were doing 40 this year?), do some kicks, and throw a few guys over the top rope, and the crowd is guaranteed to explode for a Bryan surprise return & win (and riot if they don't get it).

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Was Christmas RAW good?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

CapnAndy posted:

If it's not going to be Daniel Bryan, they'd better have Bryan show up at the top of the show to give an unambiguous "guys I'm sorry but I'm still recovering, I won't be in the match this year" promo.

I feel if this happened, it would only convince people Bryan returns as the last man.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The only thing better than Bryan at #30 would be BNB coming out to Bryan's music at #30.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I have no problem with Reigns and welcome pretty much anybody new in the main event at this point. I do, however, think he will probably bomb because they want to make a new Cena and that's not what anyone really wants.

Smart fans hate the idea of Cena more than Cena himself. I think Cena is an underrated worker and is a good talker when he's not reading awful poo poo verbatim, but the booking of him is what I find counterproductive and stale.

Placing a different body in the exact same role will backfire because Reigns will do and say the exact same things that people are sick of.

They wanted a Hogan Jr. after the Hulkamania era and nothing really worked until Austin came, who was basically the exact opposite of Hogan.

I firmly believe you can't successfully make a top face exactly like the previous top face. I think there's greater long term face potential in Ambrose because he's so much different from Cena.

As much as I like reigns, I think there's a more realistic chance he's the next Diesel rather than the next Cena.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The only thing better than Bryan at #30 would be BNB coming out to Bryan's music at #30.

Oh god this, they should have done it last year, but yes. Or at least Start Bryan's wait for the pop and then switch to I've got some Bad News

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Only other thing: Damien Brydow.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

A few things from Raw that I'm not sure were mentioned on tv or the OP:

The Ascension debuts next week
Edge & Christian hosting next week's New Year's Raw

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If this happens I will mark out and never stop marking

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."

Valeyard posted:

Was Christmas RAW good?

It wasn't terrible the worst

West007
Apr 21, 2013

bradzilla posted:

A few things from Raw that I'm not sure were mentioned on tv or the OP:

The Ascension debuts next week
Edge & Christian hosting next week's New Year's Raw

It was mentioned on tv but nobody pays attention.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

UpfrontSalmon posted:

It wasn't terrible the worst

Thanks, as long as it was better than last week I'll give it a watch

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Valeyard posted:

Thanks, as long as it was better than last week I'll give it a watch

The Christmas RAW wasn't the worst RAW of the month. And I don't know how to accept that.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I would be fine with Reigns if they didn't strap a loving Saturn V to his rear end and put him into the main event scene straight out of the shield breakup.

If they had instead had him chase the IC or US title and learn how to put on a match that involved more than spears and superman punches and a Samoan drop once in a while, I'd probably be happy with him right now.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

CapnAndy posted:

If this happens I will mark out and never stop marking

I'd just be too sad that we weren't getting the improbable-but-man-it-would-be-totally-amazing end game of Bryan being healthy and actually having poo poo to do going into mania

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I just loved how the former Shield has evolved into their own original characters, like "edgy, wrong side of the tracks badass whose durability is matched only by his tenacity" or "brilliant master heel who has taken the resources made available by selling out and deployed them to his own ends in a power vacuum" or "guy who was in the Shield once"

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Honestly right now I would love it if Ziggler won the Rumble. He's been winning matches, the crowd has always loved him, he has good momentum now.

With Mania being on the Network, the buyrate isn't even that big of a deal anymore. So you don't necessarily need to put a special attraction on top, as opposed to previous years when all we'd talk about is Rock or Austin possibly main eventing.

ziggler winning the rumble is my secret hope. it would be a really awesome surprise.

projecthalaxy posted:

I just loved how the former Shield has evolved into their own original characters, like "edgy, wrong side of the tracks badass whose durability is matched only by his tenacity" or "brilliant master heel who has taken the resources made available by selling out and deployed them to his own ends in a power vacuum" or "guy who was in the Shield once"

my biggest problem with reigns right now (other than his scripted promos being lame) is this. the other two guys have moved on from the shield and he ends up looking like someone who can't let it go. i was hoping he'd come back with a new look/new music.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 23, 2014

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Roman is great as a superstar but his problem isn't his fault. He's collateral damage. The problem is, when WWE wants you to like something, they try way, way, way too hard to get everyone to like it (or him, or her), even if they have to run it into the ground, or even if it's at the expense of anything else the crowd may like. They cannot grasp the concept of organic growth. They have to be responsible for everything and it's working against them.

I like Roman. It's also a fact that he's over. But good god, look at how they present him. Remember the injury update interviews? When Cole introduced him, he was practically gushing. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a boner. Remember when Fandango'ing was a thing? Sure, it's just a fad, but WWE couldn't just let it be a fad. They had to be like "HEY LOOK AT THE FANDANGO'ING! LOOK! LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!!!" Jesus christ they can't even let lovely fads run their course without ruining it. Remember the Orton RKO videos not too long ago? I could go on.

Sadly, this problem comes from the top and it will never change. So it's probably pointless to even talk about until Vince and Dunn step down/go away.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i don't think they ever actually did much with the rko videos outside of making one or two themselves. they showed surprising restraint with that one.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Cardboard Box posted:

my biggest problem with reigns right now (other than his scripted promos being lame) is this. the other two guys have moved on from the shield and he ends up looking like someone who can't let it go. i was hoping he'd come back with a new look/new music.

I wish his character was as interesting as "Guy who can't let go of the Shield." It might give him some personality and character traits, like insecurity because the Shield was a place he felt strong and safe and without it he feels isolated and wonders if he can succeed on his own, or sadness because Dean and Seth were his best friends and it tears him up that they're rivals at best and enemies at worst instead of taking on the world as one. Perhaps having some humanity might make him relatable. Even when Hogan was at peak SuperHulkster and even at Cena's worst levels of bland I GOT HEART, they had something you could connect with.

One of the biggest reasons I can't connect with Reigns is because he never talks about anything but how cool he is and how he's going to win, bleedat. At NXT R Evolution I actually had a moment where I was interested in him because he gave his desire to win the world title some context, saying he wanted to show that NXT is the best by being the first callup to win the belt. Even something as basic as THAT was enough to make a huge difference! Let him be a human being instead of a cardboard cutout!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Roman Reigns's gimmick is that he looks strong.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Cardboard Box posted:

i don't think they ever actually did much with the rko videos outside of making one or two themselves. they showed surprising restraint with that one.

Yeah, they actually let that one slip by without latching on too hard. It was quite refreshing to see.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

It probably would have dragged on had Randy Orton not been off TV like two weeks later

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

BasicFunk posted:

Yeah, they actually let that one slip by without latching on too hard. It was quite refreshing to see.

Probably because Orton was leaving soon for a bit, and they don't want extra attention on a guy being written out.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
Reigns current push reminds me a bit of Sheamus in 2012, when they were trying so hard to make him seem above it all and awesome and invincible that they don't leave all that much for the audience to latch onto. So you wind up with overly scripted Cena-esque promos in which threats are laughed off and dominance is assured over and over again, without Cena's years of push (and the weird meta-character he's developed) behind it. Combine that with fart blood's point about WWE trying very very very very very very very hard to make you like something, and, yeah. Reigns is higher priority and admittedly more popular with the crowd now than Sheamus was back then, but I think it's a similar issue, and I really do think they're going to run into a problem with this if they give him the full blown WM push.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Part of me wants to think they know the meme stuff has short legs anyway but this is the company that loves to run poo poo in the ground so who knows

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
I'm 100% confident that Vince is going to cool on Reigns here before long and will just mash the John Cena Reset Button one more time. Vince is clearly obsessed with recreating Hulkamania here, not just in terms of having a beloved fan favorite on top, but also in terms of having a top guy who gets a ton of mainstream media press. Clearly he thinks that Cena is that guy (even though a decent segment of the audience has long since gotten sick of him, and Cena really doesn't get the same amount of media attention that Hogan, Austin, or Rock got when they were on top).

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Roman Reigns has a shameful back.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I could see them going with Bryan if he's back in time for the Rumble because he's somehow managed to not be ruined by being gone for the last 6 months

lmao no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Ziggler will win and the March event will finally be called EntertainmentMania.

• Locked thread