Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Just placed the disc into my ps3 and Im proceeding to turn the unit on,.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
hope this game is good. Im taking a risk here .

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
There was last month when the PC version launched

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
thats too long ago , sio heres the new one.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
really fun game. try not to get stuck on mission 7 like a loser, like I did

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
seems kewl but i dont like that u can move your characters more than once a turn. ill probably just play it like a normal stategy game

Dec 26, 2012

you run into some pretty nasty diminishing returns on movement if you move your guys more than twice. sometimes it's still worth it though to get someone in place or take another shot before like turn 2

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
snipers are not that good most of the time, engineers are bad but you need 1 to heal your tank and clear mines, assaults are good but slow at moving, scouts are just really really good at killing eevrything apart from armour but are kind of fragile.

Dec 26, 2012

engineers are ok, just not as good as scouts (nothing except maybe shocktroopers is)

snipers are pretty useful but you have to make use of retreat/reinforcement to use them well because theyre insanely slow

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I don't have the pc port and I've in fact never played anime ww2 but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9mjfwey9rE

do you need to use an external program to force the game to 60?

Dec 26, 2012

nope it does it natively

tbh i actually like how quickly full auto reaction fire kills poo poo

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

i have a bit of trouble of keeping track of what people are annoyed by grass and pavement or what members are racist or whatever so my squads are probably not ideal. i just send the hot babes to do all the work.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
The first hour of this is good and I look forward to playing more after Christmas is over

The FFT dude did the music and boy howdy it's good so far

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

my morning jackass posted:

i have a bit of trouble of keeping track of what people are annoyed by grass and pavement or what members are racist or whatever so my squads are probably not ideal. i just send the hot babes to do all the work.

Hot babes hate dirt and minorities just like real life so that's actually an easy strategy to keep track of those things. Although hot babes also hate competing with other hot babes so there is a bit of a flaw here.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

its a cool game and i want to play it again

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
its ok so far . just got to the biut where u can customise your army so lets see..

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
does the affinity stuff that the troops have for other troops affect the story or w/e

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think the game would be more fun if people who aren't scouts could move further per turn, the maps are really big and shocktroopers seem to spend most of their lives chasing after scouts :(

Dec 26, 2012

the affinity thing lets your guys sometimes make a free attack when theyre right next to someone theyre buddies with. i dont think it affects the story

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

01011001 posted:

the affinity thing lets your guys sometimes make a free attack when theyre right next to someone theyre buddies with. i dont think it affects the story

ty... time 4 babe army

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Is this game more like fire emblem or xcom. Don't reply "yes" like some faggy games poster

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Average Bear posted:

Is this game more like fire emblem or xcom. Don't reply "yes" like some faggy games poster

it's not really that much like either

gonna arbitrarily say 'xcom' because there's guns and cover, but there's no strategic metagame or map squares & instead there's real-time direct unit control (sort of), so that makes it feel pretty different in practice

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Average Bear posted:

its guns so closer to xcom

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Average Bear posted:

ive never played xcom. i suppose its kinda ike fire emblem

Dec 26, 2012

Average Bear posted:

its closer in-mission to xcom in the sense that its based on purely ranged combat, though it has far less emphasis on cover and your movement phase is gridless real-time movement instead of planning out a move on a grid (and enemies will always reaction-fire at you while you move). but you have set maps/missions in order like fire emblem

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

u can ask me about any game and i'll tell you something about that game

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

u can ask me about any game and i'll tell you something about that game

What are your thoughts on summer lesson

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
max scouts, hate yourself get s rank on every mission, don't miss the ace units.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I know the plot apparently sucks but is it worth playing 2 before going to 3

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

thuly posted:

What are your thoughts on summer lesson

thats a good game

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Average Bear posted:

I don't really think it's like either of those games, but I suppose it's more like X-Com. There are similar elements like classes, cover, and reaction shots which all play a big factor. It's a linear story based game rather than X-Com's more open ended approach. You can permanently lose non-story characters, but not story characters.

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

I purchased this game on Steam, but haven't played it yet!

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I picked this game up and just beat Chapter 6. It is fun and good. The only complaint so far is that there are always like 6 or 7 cutscenes in between every map and you have to play them one at a time.

Still haven't used any of the orders except for retreat, am I supposed to be using those?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Proposition Joe posted:

I picked this game up and just beat Chapter 6. It is fun and good. The only complaint so far is that there are always like 6 or 7 cutscenes in between every map and you have to play them one at a time.

Still haven't used any of the orders except for retreat, am I supposed to be using those?

the defense boost orders, and an order you get later which massively reduces reaction fire damage against one unit, are both really overpowered and let you clear some areas in a single turn by just running past things without a fight. to the point that you can run a scout through big emplacements that have a tank and multiple shock troopers in the way

the first replayable grinding mission that's set in the city, it's either the second or third one, is especially easy to one turn S-rank by just defense boosting a shocktrooper and running her to the victory base flag (killing on the way) as quickly as possible. that's admittedly sort of a lame strategy but at some point you just want to get quick exp/money from that poo poo

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 24, 2014

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

its nothing at all like fire emblem or xcom. it's a little bit like the new xcom but only superficially

Dec 26, 2012

it's a lot like fire emblem as game structure goes. also plot now that i think about it. but yeah re: combat mechanics it's not really trying to do the same thing as either of those and strategies for those won't really work for this

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I'd say there are more than superficial similarities to XCOM, but only just.

Also, there's an S Rank? The best I've done is A Rank the two skirmish missions I've unlocked. I'm liking the game a lot so far but I'm annoyed that I can't just retry a mission from the start menu and I can't redo story missions until I beat the game, apparently. I want those ace guns.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

a-rank, s-rank, whatever the best one is because i honestly can't remember. i assumed it has an S-rank because it is a japanese game.

Dec 26, 2012

a-rank is best, which threw me off at first when i two-rounded the first mission and thought i got second place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Average Bear posted:

The new XCOM probably got some inspiration from this, there are a lot of things that are similar.

• Locked thread