Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

How can Bond be an experienced agent in 1962 but a novice 44 years later? It doesn't make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
edit: I would like a black James Bond purely because it would annoy people I don't like very much.
[/quote]

Basically this.

Noxville posted:

How can Bond be an experienced agent in 1962 but a novice 44 years later? It doesn't make any sense.

Nanomachines, son.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
People who can't accept the idea of James Bond being portrayed by a black actor are racist, pure and simple. None of the other Bonds look like each other, you're picking a single trait of the actor (skin colour) and saying this is the reason he couldn't play Bond while ignoring a plethora of other physical differences between potential Bond actors. It's an unjustifiable argument and wholly racist and wrong. Idris Elba would make a fantastic Bond due to his talents as an actor, that is all that needs to be said.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Flayer posted:

People who can't accept the idea of James Bond being portrayed by a black actor are racist, pure and simple.
You're probably right, but I think we can all agree that Ian Fleming would be opposed to it given the class and era he was in.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yaws posted:

You're probably right, but I think we can all agree that Ian Fleming would be opposed to it given the class and era he was in.

He probably would've been opposed to Brosnan portraying Bond too though.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I'm reasonably sure Fleming wanted his cousin Christopher Lee to play Bond.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Flayer posted:

People who can't accept the idea of James Bond being portrayed by a fat actor are weightist, pure and simple. None of the other Bonds look like each other, you're picking a single trait of the actor (weight) and saying this is the reason he couldn't play Bond while ignoring a plethora of other physical differences between potential Bond actors. It's an unjustifiable argument and wholly weightist and wrong.

Flayer posted:

People who can't accept the idea of James Bond being portrayed by a female actor are sexist, pure and simple. None of the other Bonds look like each other, you're picking a single trait of the actor (sex) and saying this is the reason she couldn't play Bond while ignoring a plethora of other physical differences between potential Bond actors. It's an unjustifiable argument and wholly sexist and wrong.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

What's your point?

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Flayer posted:

People who can't accept the idea of James Bond being portrayed by a black actor are racist, pure and simple.

I'm proud to be labeled racist along with Ian Fleming by something awful forums poster "Flayer".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vaall posted:

I'm proud to be labeled racist along with Ian Fleming by something awful forums poster "Flayer".
Wow, how badass.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wow, how badass.

I want a black Gandalf while we're at it.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

I wasn't sure you could pull it off given some of the competition but congratulations for making the single dumbest post in the thread.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

A female James Bond who went around the world shooting people, blowing things up and having sex with hot women would be pretty awesome, not gonna lie.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

ozmunkeh posted:

I wasn't sure you could pull it off given some of the competition but congratulations for making the single dumbest post in the thread.

Good to know.

The point is you can cognitively back-flip your way around any actor playing any character in order to fit with whatever values or ideals you hold but it doesn't mean everyone who disagrees with you is a horrible person with horrible opinions. Sometimes people prefer a certain look for a character, and sometimes part of that look is skin color. Get over it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It sounds like this is something you need to "get over".

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Dystram posted:

Good to know.

The point is you can cognitively back-flip your way around any actor playing any character in order to fit with whatever values or ideals you hold but it doesn't mean everyone who disagrees with you is a horrible person with horrible opinions.

He's mocking you for pretending these are 'cognitive backflips' when there's nothing at all strange about them, indeed they might actually be interesting spins on what is by now an incredibly tired old character.

Dystram posted:

Sometimes people prefer a certain look for a character, and sometimes part of that look is skin color. Get over it.

This is an objectively racist comment. Get over it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hell, I'm a proud racist, and the James Bond thread is where I choose to make my stand.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

It sounds like this is something you need to "get over".

lol i'm not the one whining about people not liking the idea of a black James Bond. Just pointing out that people like you are the reason why Rush is so popular and that his opinions get so much play; the American Right is a reaction against people like you.

Personally, I'd love Idris Elba to play Bond. However, I can understand why people might not like a popular character's appearance to be changed. Then again, I don't have a dog in this ideological fight.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm already aware that the American Right is a reaction against Black Americans.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Noxville posted:

He's mocking you for pretending these are 'cognitive backflips' when there's nothing at all strange about them, indeed they might actually be interesting spins on what is by now an incredibly tired old character.

This is an objectively racist comment. Get over it.

Haha! Oh man, so, a person wanting to see a character continued to be portrayed, for the most part, how they've been portrayed since their creation is "racist." That's awesome.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

I'm already aware that the American Right is a reaction against Black Americans.

A huge part of it, but it's also a reaction against being told what to think or what to like. Right or wrong, no one likes that and that's why guys like Rush exist and make tons of cash.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I understand the mentality. The argument is less sensible.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014
The people who want a black Bond for the most part are pasty, fat/scrawny, covered in acne white guys suffering from some sort of anxiety disorder and self-loathing (goons). They can't fathom the thought of a physically fit white man bedding exotic foreign women such as James Bond. Its hilarious.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I don't mind the idea of James Bond being played by a black guy, or a guy of any ethnicity (though not a woman, not for sexist reasons but because it would totally defeat the purpose of the character, and you might as well just create a new character, which actually sounds like a great idea). but Idris Elba's too old. So I'm not racist, I'm ageist. :haw:

ON TOPIC, I can understand how Dr. No launched the Bond series, but it's just not all that good outside a few iconic moments. the second half is weak as hell, and Ursula Andress is hot, but Honey Ryder is boring and silly in a bad way. also the loving dragon tank thing.
The novel is so much better. Bond fights a.... I want to say giant squid, but it might've just been an octopus.

my favorite Bond films are From Russia With Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, The Spy Who Loved Me, Licence to Kill, Goldeneye, and Skyfall.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Every guy they name as "wanted" for Bond is already too old, Fassbender and Elba being the prime examples.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Dystram posted:

A huge part of it, but it's also a reaction against being told what to think or what to like. Right or wrong, no one likes that and that's why guys like Rush exist and make tons of cash.

He exists to exploit the retards who listen to his show and pay him money for his merchandise whIle spouting horseshit he himself would laugh at and then makes millions. Same with O'REILLY and Glenn Beck who admit their characters. The sad people are those who buy into it.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Gatts posted:

He exists to exploit the retards who listen to his show and pay him money for his merchandise whIle spouting horseshit he himself would laugh at and then makes millions. Same with O'REILLY and Glenn Beck who admit their characters. The sad people are those who buy into it.

No poo poo.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Dystram posted:

Haha! Oh man, so, a person wanting to see a character continued to be portrayed, for the most part, how they've been portrayed since their creation is "racist." That's awesome.

In what way would the character necessarily be portrayed differently by a black guy than a white guy? If I were to describe Bond's principal characteristics, 'white' would not be one of them.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
This sounds like a great topic for D&D

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

monster on a stick posted:

This sounds like a great topic for D&D

Are there vociferous redpillers in D&D?

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Hell, I'm a proud racist, and the James Bond thread is where I choose to make my stand.

Thats god drat right.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vaall posted:

Thats god drat right.

If that's your battleground for the white race, that's genuinely pathetic.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Seriously, could we save the D&D talk until the OP sees You Only Live Twice?

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

If that's your battleground for the white race, that's genuinely pathetic.

You're really retarded aren't you?

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Noxville posted:

In what way would the character necessarily be portrayed differently by a black guy than a white guy? If I were to describe Bond's principal characteristics, 'white' would not be one of them.

Too bad I mentioned that Bond was sort of an edge case since race isn't a part of his core appearance and the only traditionally "white" characteristics he is possessed of is blue eyes, but there are blue eyed black folks so even that is irrelevant. I was just highlighting that appearance is a part of any fictional characters; it may not matter very much where Bond is concerned but it might matter more with other characters and fans not being comfortable with an appearance change doesn't mean they're racists no matter how much you want to pound your political or ideological points.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Spatula City posted:

I don't mind the idea of James Bond being played by a black guy, or a guy of any ethnicity (though not a woman, not for sexist reasons but because it would totally defeat the purpose of the character, and you might as well just create a new character, which actually sounds like a great idea). but Idris Elba's too old. So I'm not racist, I'm ageist. :haw:

ON TOPIC, I can understand how Dr. No launched the Bond series, but it's just not all that good outside a few iconic moments. the second half is weak as hell, and Ursula Andress is hot, but Honey Ryder is boring and silly in a bad way. also the loving dragon tank thing.
The novel is so much better. Bond fights a.... I want to say giant squid, but it might've just been an octopus.

my favorite Bond films are From Russia With Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, The Spy Who Loved Me, Licence to Kill, Goldeneye, and Skyfall.

Craig is no spring chicken either. Do they want to do a reboot after Spectre or something, with Bond just starting out? Otherwise Elba is probably the best choice out of the names I've seen tossed around; Fassbender would be kind of 'meh', even though I think he's a great actor and have enjoyed his other performances.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I've never seen a Brosnan Bond movie because they looked kind of dumb. If I'm going to give the bloke a chance, which movie should it be? And I gather "Die Another Day" is the "A View to a Kill" of its time?

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Are there vociferous redpillers in D&D?

lol @ anyone who disagrees with you being a racist and red-piller, just lol.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

I've never seen a Brosnan Bond movie because they looked kind of dumb. If I'm going to give the bloke a chance, which movie should it be? And I gather "Die Another Day" is the "A View to a Kill" of its time?

Goldeneye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Goldeneye is pretty good.

• Locked thread