Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

effectual posted:

Gillian Anderson rumored to be a possible Bond replacement :wtc: Isn't she like 50 already? Hard to do many stunts unless you want to look like Diamonds are Forever with how staged it was.

She's 47. For reference Roger Moore was 46 when he did his first Bond film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

effectual posted:

Gillian Anderson rumored to be a possible Bond replacement :wtc: Isn't she like 50 already? Hard to do many stunts unless you want to look like Diamonds are Forever with how staged it was.

I wouldn't say she's rumored, so much as she posted a fun fan made poster on her own Twitter, and it started people writing pieces about the possibility. The main rumors seem to be coalescing behind Tom Hiddleston.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I really don't think an American born actor/actress will ever be seriously considered. Even more than casting a woman or a black man, I think people would be up in arms if an American were cast. I know Anderson is like half British at this point and seems to be totally assimilated, still it would probably be a huge controversy.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 1, 2016

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

~Coxy posted:

I've never understood what everyones' problem is with Tomorrow Never Dies.
For me, it's somehow less than the sum of its parts. Michelle Yeoh is cool, the plot is a unique take on the standard Bond world-conquering villain, the motorcycle chase is awesome, and Jonathan Pryce devours the scenery, but (for me at least) it just doesn't all come together into something interesting enough. Every so often I rewatch it in the hopes that I'll find something that makes me enjoy it more, but I never do. It's not bad, even, just...there.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Cacator posted:

I'd argue the Z3 in Goldeneye was worse considering it didn't do anything.

The Z3 in Goldeneye was probably the worst example of car as product placement since like you said , it didn't do anything, but a black BMW 7-Series is just a visually boring automobile.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fangz posted:

Yeah but in Hollywood a 50-year-old man is still ripe and fresh for action movies, while a 50-year-old woman is only allowed to do motherhood or businesswoman roles that don't require her to get out of heels.

See the ages of the Avengers:

Iron Man: 51
Captain America: 34
Thor: 32
Hulk: 48
Hawkeye: 45
War Machine: 51
Vision: 45
Falcon: 37
Nick Fury: 67
Black Panther: 39
Winter Soldier: 33
Ant-Man: 47
Spider-Man: 20

Black Widow: 31
Scarlet Witch: 27

You, uh, may also notice another trend with the Avengers roster.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 1, 2016

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

effectual posted:

She's....also....a woman?

e: Am I about to regret making this post? I think probably I am.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cnut the Great posted:

She's....also....a woman?

e: Am I about to regret making this post? I think probably I am.

With her and Emilia Clarke both saying recently they'd be interesting in playing "Jane Bond", the discussion of what a "female Bond" would be like has spun up again. It could be an interesting take, but one I in no way see happening any time soon.

Anyway, it's probably going to be Tom Hiddleston. Which will be interesting, because I imagine they'll make him somewhat less rough and tough of a Bond than Craig. I can see him more dark like Dalton? Or possibly early Moore or early Connery?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Next time the Bond girl guy can be... literally Bond himself? :lost:

GMEEOORH
Mar 12, 2012

Fangz posted:

They'd have to actually make the film as well though. She'd be 50 at least when it would come out. And let's not pretend that Roger Moore's age in the later films hasn't been a punchline for decades.

It's all just social media talk anyway. Nobody involved in the actual decision-making process is interested in taking any big risks with their billion dollar film series.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

Anyway, it's probably going to be Tom Hiddleston. Which will be interesting, because I imagine they'll make him somewhat less rough and tough of a Bond than Craig. I can see him more dark like Dalton? Or possibly early Moore or early Connery?

After The Night Manager, Hiddleston strikes me as a Bond who would absolutely lose the brutish aspects of Craig and Dalton would be his closest analogue.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_actors_considered_for_the_James_Bond_character

Some of these are interesting to read about.

And lol at Liam Neeson turning it down because he didn't want to do action movies.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MorgaineDax posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_actors_considered_for_the_James_Bond_character

And lol at Liam Neeson turning it down because he didn't want to do action movies.

I want to know what Terence Stamp's "radical" ideas were. I also didn't realize that Reilly: Ace of Spies was what led to Sam Neill being considered, though it makes sense since it's pretty clearly influenced by the Bond films (and pre-GoldenEye Martin Campbell directed half the series).

Also had no idea that Colin Salmon was actually considered for Bond, I always thought he would have been a good Bond.

Interesting to consider that potentially Dalton could have taken over the role in 1969, and then got replaced by Brosnan in 1987.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

MorgaineDax posted:

Your avatar... what about Emily as Jane Bond?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

MorgaineDax posted:

Christopher Lambert? holy crap, talk about a bullet dodged.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
On a train at the moment from London Euston to Manchester. Two kids sitting across the carriage from me, look about 7 or 8 years old.

Boy: Did you know they're thinking of making a new James Bond film?

Girl: Really? How many James Bond films do they need?

Boy: Well, one more apparently.

Later on if they get bored I'll interrogate them on Gillian Anderson's credentials and who should replace Sam Mendes and report back.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

tanglewood1420 posted:

Later on if they get bored I'll interrogate them on Gillian Anderson's credentials and who should replace Sam Mendes and report back.

Honestly I am more concerned with who will take Mendes' place than who will play Bond. Its been such a pleasure to watch these past few that Mendes directed, from a visual standpoint specifically, it would really bum me out to lose that aspect. I hope they choose another director who really has their own visual style and doesn't fade into the background like a lot of mediocre action directors do. Who directed John Wick? They should get that guy. Or maybe Gareth Evans.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Basebf555 posted:

Who directed John Wick? They should get that guy.

Keanu Reeves' stunt double from The Matrix. And yes, I agree. Though he's currently in pre-production on John Wick 2.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

ninjahedgehog posted:

Christopher Lambert? holy crap, talk about a bullet dodged.
I don't see the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FswhQmILLU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

Keanu Reeves' stunt double from The Matrix. And yes, I agree. Though he's currently in pre-production on John Wick 2.

Ah so he's one of the guys who became a millionaire because Keanu decided to give the stunt people like half his salary?

John Wick is an incredibly impressive movie for a stunt double to have made as his first effort. Aside from the fight choreography, which is unsurprisingly fantastic, its got a ton of style to it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Basebf555 posted:

Honestly I am more concerned with who will take Mendes' place than who will play Bond. Its been such a pleasure to watch these past few that Mendes directed, from a visual standpoint specifically, it would really bum me out to lose that aspect. I hope they choose another director who really has their own visual style and doesn't fade into the background like a lot of mediocre action directors do. Who directed John Wick? They should get that guy. Or maybe Gareth Evans.

or alternatively

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 2, 2016

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I was enjoying The Man with the Golden Gun well enough, and then that sheriff dude showed up to irritate the poo poo out of me again.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
As with every Christopher Lee movie, The Man with the Golden Gun could have used more Christopher Lee.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I was enjoying The Man with the Golden Gun well enough, and then that sheriff dude showed up to irritate the poo poo out of me again.

Yep, it started off decently, and like it was building to a great assassin vs. spy thing, then J.W. Pepper shows up and the movie turns into poo poo.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Darko posted:

Yep, it started off decently, and like it was building to a great assassin vs. spy thing, then J.W. Pepper shows up and the movie turns into poo poo.

That's exactly what happened. Very unfortunate.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Darko posted:

JW Pepper is only one of several awful choices in that movie. There's the infamous slide whistle, but also stuff like the gratuitous kung fu school sequence and the other desperate pandering to the martial arts craze of the 70s, just like how Live And Let Die was desperate pandering to blaxploitation, Moonraker was copying the popularity of Star Wars (if I remember correctly EON even stopped production on a different Bond film to switch gears to sci-fi while they still had the chance), and Die Another Day had all the "xtreme" and crappy CGI of contemporary action movies. Bond was always at its best when not trying to shoehorn in popular genres and conventions.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 2, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lexi Alexander directed James Bond movie.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

CelticPredator posted:

Lexi Alexander directed James Bond movie.

oh my god

Violator
May 15, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Isn't one of the rumors going around that Warner is going to make a very big play to get the Bond franchise and then offer it to Spielberg to bring him back under their umbrella?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I can't imagine a Spielberg Bond.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Fangz posted:

Indiana Jones is basically the result of Spielberg not getting to direct a Bond movie.

I'm sure a female Bond would have Ian Fleming rolling over in his grave (a black Bond too, but probably not quite the same amount of rolling) but a female director would be a nice way to pivot the franchise in a new direction although I don't see them abandoning the more traditionalist take the last two Craig films took right away.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 3, 2016

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Fangz posted:

Munich.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Cacator posted:

Indiana Jones is basically the result of Spielberg not getting to direct a Bond movie.

I'm sure a female Bond would have Ian Fleming rolling over in his grave (a black Bond too, but probably not quite the same amount of rolling) but a female director would be a nice way to pivot the franchise in a new direction although I don't see them abandoning the more traditionalist take the last two Craig films took right away.

A gay black woman would probably cause him to rise from the grave

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vagabundo posted:

or alternatively

The Bond producers have traditionally avoided going with established action directors. They want a Bond film, not a George Miller film or a Kathryn Bigelow film.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

screaden posted:

A gay black woman would probably cause him to rise from the grave

Laverne Cox.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

JW Pepper is only one of several awful choices in that movie. There's the infamous slide whistle, but also stuff like the gratuitous kung fu school sequence and the other desperate pandering to the martial arts craze of the 70s, just like how Live And Let Die was desperate pandering to blaxploitation, Moonraker was copying the popularity of Star Wars (if I remember correctly EON even stopped production on a different Bond film to switch gears to sci-fi while they still had the chance), and Die Another Day had all the "xtreme" and crappy CGI of contemporary action movies. Bond was always at its best when not trying to shoehorn in popular genres and conventions.

Yeah, thank Christ they didn't emulate those popular Bourne movies in the 2000s or all those Daniel Craig movies would have been poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sir Nose posted:

Yeah, thank Christ they didn't emulate those popular Bourne movies in the 2000s or all those Daniel Craig movies would have been poo poo.

I'm of the mind that the Craig movies aren't bad individually, but they're so far from the past Bond films that they're essentially "Bond movies" in name only.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm of the mind that the Craig movies aren't bad individually, but they're so far from the past Bond films that they're essentially "Bond movies" in name only.

Spectre was a blatant attempt to imitate the Connery movies though.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Bond producers have traditionally avoided going with established action directors. They want a Bond film, not a George Miller film or a Kathryn Bigelow film.

This is also why I'm hugely skeptical that Tom Hiddleston will be the next Bond. He's way too much of a name. For that matter Idris Elba is too much of a name. It'll be Damien Lewis. Or somebody else the average moviegoer has never heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

DStecks posted:

This is also why I'm hugely skeptical that Tom Hiddleston will be the next Bond. He's way too much of a name. For that matter Idris Elba is too much of a name. It'll be Damien Lewis. Or somebody else the average moviegoer has never heard of.

Daniel Craig was a moderately well known actor though.

• Locked thread