Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That Futur has made me upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mesadoram posted:

Do you like French auto-loaders or a solid heavy tank?

I think I like French auto-loaders. I used to think I liked heavy tanks, but now I'm not so sure. But it might just be me not really knowing how to play them. I have a horrible time in the Caernarvon, for instance.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Pew pew.
https://i.imgur.com/XaBIMO0.mp4

When every gun on the enemy team is getting blueballed and you get spotted...
https://i.imgur.com/SCmpkgl.mp4

Patience.
https://i.imgur.com/WLHEXxd.mp4

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Der Shovel posted:

I think I like French auto-loaders. I used to think I liked heavy tanks, but now I'm not so sure. But it might just be me not really knowing how to play them. I have a horrible time in the Caernarvon, for instance.

Auto loaders require kind of a different mindset to play. It's more focused on ambushing and punishing.

Also, baiting your allies into taking shots for you so you can farm damage from their mistakes.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Der Shovel posted:

its basically french heavy tank but much smaller and has better armor and less health and bit faster.
Its really nice i have over 60% win ratio on mine

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mesadoram posted:

Auto loaders require kind of a different mindset to play. It's more focused on ambushing and punishing.

Yeah, auto loaders in general are my favourite tanks (Lorraine 40t, Somua SM and Progetto, of course) but I have never played the tech tree Batchats. I did buy the Bourrasque recently though.

Honestly the Char interests me the most, but then I keep hearing it’s for good players only and after taking a ton of time away from the game I’m not sure I’d call myself one.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah, auto loaders in general are my favourite tanks (Lorraine 40t, Somua SM and Progetto, of course) but I have never played the tech tree Batchats. I did buy the Bourrasque recently though.

Honestly the Char interests me the most, but then I keep hearing it’s for good players only and after taking a ton of time away from the game I’m not sure I’d call myself one.

Don't let that scare you off. You might lose a gently caress load of games, but the more you play the more comfortable you will be with it.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I have to say I'm playing my tier 10 tanks a lot more with the bond change. I mean it will take a while between improved equipment purchases, but I'm playing a lot of t10 now.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5553250#sand_river-mariuslecter-kv-2_r

:420:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ugh, they made the Steel Hunter missions harder.

I mean, they're still easy, but now it's going to take me 4 days instead of 2.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Twice now in Steel Hunter I have spawned literally in visible range of an enemy.

At that point even if I don't want to fight, I'm gonna lose most of my HP fighting some pubbie who thinks it's a great idea to waste all their resources on a fight at second 1.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5553792#prokhorovka-mariuslecter-a46

Running, Camo net, Binocs and Exhaust system. Was thinking of changing it up but seems to be working fine.

e;
1st Class back to back.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5553835#sand_river-mariuslecter-a46

For games like this is why I was thinking of changing equipment to Charger, Grousers and keep the exhaust system.

e2;

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 21, 2020

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

T110E4 is now mine.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh my god Steel Hunter is just utter dog poo poo. 200 more points and I'll never have to roll around in it again.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Katamari Democracy posted:

T110E4 is now mine.

E4 is ok. Truth be told, the T30 is more fit to be the T10 (mainly because it was a T10 at one point). When you play it you will see what I mean.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Dang it. I didn't realize improved equipment didn't receive the vehicle slot bonus.

2 weeks later.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Team damage really needs to be turned back on.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5554183#fisherman_s_bay-mariuslecter-sherman_vc_firefly

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
https://console.worldoftanks.com/en/world-of-tanks-hot-wheels-soon/

:getin:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I just had an absolutely loving dominant game on Steel Hunter. 11 kills and almost 14k damage.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The RNG in Steel Hunters is completely hosed, because it seems like neither the players' starting positions, or the initial drops near them, are divided evenly.

Several times I've spawned within visual range of a player, which means either I die immediately or at best lose most of my HP and ammo fighting some pubbie.

Several times I've spawned in areas where there's only one ammo crate within three states, and when I meet someone, they'll already be like level 5. At that point there's literally nothing to do but die.

And because WG in their infinite wisdom decided only the top 5 get anything out of the game (and doubled the damage and kill mission requirements, while halving their rewards -- also the kill mission is bugged, you have to kill two tanks in ONE GAME for it to count) which means all of these games are completely wasted time.

E:

You know that feeling when you release tension you didn't even know you were carrying?

No more Steel Hunters. I am free!

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 22, 2020

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I have 8 tokens, I missed the first Frontlines. I give up, I can’t bring myself to play Steelhunter to get a reward tank.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
I just came back to this game after I think 3 years, on console. I'm having fun. I started with some free premium days, for some reason. I don't remember premium being this important when I played previously, but now I can see if you don't have it you're more likely to lose money in lost battles and it will make the XP grind much worse.

What's the goon verdict on paying for a season pass? I like playing objectives and getting rewards, does it justify the 3K (?) gold? (About 12 euro's I think) or should I just spend some real money on premium days?

Currently working The Machine contract (also a new thing compared to when I played previously). It seems like a slog and forces you to spend many hours in specific types of tanks, which means it punishes you if you want to play another cool tank type you have. I'm not sure if I'll finish it or if I even can (my highest tier is XIII).

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I think the season pass is worth getting if you're sitting on gold and also going to play a bunch to get the rewards.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

MariusLecter posted:

Team damage really needs to be turned back on.

just play arty and chain stun friendlies who frantically ping enemy tanks behind a cathedral or mountain crying ARTTYYY poo poo

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Its me, I am the weirdo who likes Steel Hunter.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5555078#pearl_river-mariuslecter-strv_m_42-57_alt_a_2

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I have 8 tokens, I missed the first Frontlines. I give up, I can’t bring myself to play Steelhunter to get a reward tank.

You are so close, push through the garbage and get that free tank.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I played 4 games of Steelhunter and got 1 kill, never finished better than 12th.

Just played a game in my Skorpion G and did 4000 damage. Was waiting to see if it was enough to ace......nope 2nd Class lol.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 23, 2020

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

I'm done, can't force myself to grind steel hunters before I go on vacation for the rest of the week. Guess I'll just be satisfied with my Phase 1 this year, pick up the 777 in 2021 if we aren't all dead.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Steel Hunters is easy to complete the daily missions in though, and you should be pretty close to rank 15 if you do that. Just embrace the YOLO and don't get too frustrated by it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I just finished Steel Hunters. Super easy.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Even Circon gets tilted playing Steel Hunters. (Watch the next 2 rounds.)

https://twitch.tv/videos/747878580?t=2729s

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

McGavin posted:

Steel Hunters is easy to complete the daily missions in though, and you should be pretty close to rank 15 if you do that. Just embrace the YOLO and don't get too frustrated by it.

Finishing the dailies gets you 4200/4500 points, so you do need to get 300 points by placing higher than 5th. Of course it's pretty likely to happen even if you brute force your way through the quests, especially as the good players get to rank 15 and stop playing.

But it was seriously lovely of WG to increase the requirements by 50% while also cutting the reward points in half.

Bulky, this Steel Hunter week included there are still three SH events left for this season. If you need four points, you don't need to get to rank 15 even once. The first token is at rank 5, the second at rank 10, so get to rank 10 once and rank 5 the rest of them and you'll have your shiny T9 eventually. Don't give up now, but also don't force yourself to play that lovely-rear end game mode more than you feel is healthy.

On another topic... Vents, vstab and coated optics on the Char Futur 4 or something else?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Der Shovel posted:

On another topic... Vents, vstab and coated optics on the Char Futur 4 or something else?

That will do fine. You can also swap the vents for turbo charger if you enjoy going brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The gun is excellent, you just need to be careful when down to the last couple shells, make sure you have an exit strategy to avoid having to face someone while waiting 40 seconds to reload.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Here are some tips for Steel Hunter:

For most people, the best tanks are the Raven or the Walkure. The Raven is probably the best tank overall, but the Walkure has enough armour to bounce some shells and doesn't suffer from the disadvantages of the other tanks aside from its slow speed.

Choose the following upgrades for the Raven and Walkure:
Radio: Whatever.
Engine: More horsepower.
First gun: Faster reload.
Hull: More armour.
Turret: Rotation speed on Raven, more armour on Walkure.
Last gun: Faster reload.

Here's how to use your special abilities:
On the Raven, once you've spotted someone you want to kill, pop your radio to see if he's alone. If so, ram the fucker and then pop both your abilities. He'll be stuck right next to you in your pain bubble, nearly immobile and with a worthless gun, while you have boosted DPM and can do donuts around him to shoot him in the rear end and block him from leaving the pain bubble.
On the Walkure, your heal doesn't get interrupted by getting shot, so pop it and stay in the bubble when you fight. Also try to do sick rams with your speed boost. I have rammed people for over 1,000 damage while boosted.

General tips:
Most tanks are covered in a bunch of spaced armour, so make sure you aren't using HEAT rounds when you're shooting long distance or it will likely bounce. You can use HEAT to shoot the Arlequin no problem though.
Try to avoid combat until you have the first gun upgrade. It gives a huge advantage over the stock gun.

Why the other tanks suck:
The UK tank has a very strong ability, but using it damages you continuously, which leaves you very vulnerable when it wears off. It also lacks armour in the top configuration.
The Russian tank lacks reload speed, so you will never be able to prevent anyone from picking up repair drops, which will gently caress you over.
You should probably avoid the French tank. It completely lacks armour and doesn't have enough speed to run away from all situations with impunity. Its abilities also kind of suck and it gets utterly wrecked if it gets rammed by other tanks.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not touching that Steel Hunter mode for nothing.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

moolchaba posted:

I'm not touching that Steel Hunter mode for nothing.

Klondike bar?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Coordinated Tier X's are worse than random battles with all Tier X. Losing in these modes hit you way harder as a player.

Those games I usually play the T110E3 and IS-7. Kinda wish I could throw my patton out there more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I played 10 games of Steel Hunter. I amassed a total of 1 kill. In all but one game I came in 12th or worse. in the one game I got a kill I came in 3rd and mostly upgraded my russian tank thanks to never running into anyone.

I wish this was like arena in WoW, where if you lost enough you eventually got to fight people that didn't have hands IRL.