Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it just me or are the Russian voices recorded in a can?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

There are too many tanks and tds in this game, and they all have stupid letters and numbers as names making it impossible to keep them apart. Especially bad when models show up from different countries with different properties. How the hell does anyone manage to keep track of all that? Forget trying to remember weakspots or guns and armor values or even telling if a tank has one gun instead of another unless it's something obvious with an old model like the KV2 with a derp or long gun.

I did a tier 8-10(?) round on Ruinberg in my Tiger 2 and I decided to go with the mediums to the small building cluster in the east since trying to pen anything in the city with the stock gun is a little frustrating. My contribution was, possibly, what helped push the odds in our favor and when the smoke cleared there was me and a medium and one enemy td left. The td was hiding behind a building so I couldn't see what it was but the info below the red symbol told me it was a tier 9 with a name that meant dick all to me (couldn't even tell the nationality of the drat thing). As I cautiously approached to circle around the house to flank it while the medium was doing peekaboo front to front fighting I noticed it was driving forward and backwards so confidentially I drove around the corner to track and kill it. Of course as everyone has already realized it turned out to have a turret and I died before I had time to even react. :sigh:

TLDR: Clicking red tanks is hard. :saddowns:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks for your support and tips guys, I appreciate it. :)

Here's my stats so you can laugh at them. http://worldoftanks.com/community/accounts/1000106170-LordDrool/
They're bad, and a bit incorrect since they list 771 battles in the KV-1 even though I've never played it (it's from derping around before the split). My least bad thing is probably my hit ratio.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah I had that red light too all day while failtanking today. East server. The ping was about 40-50% higher than normal too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I have far too many memories of trying to drive away from the west spawn before some asshat from the good spawn finished centering their gun on me because of lovely spotting mechanics added on top of the poor map design. :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I finally got enough xp to ditch the birch gun, and got into the bishop. Holy poo poo it's awful. What kind of moron thought it was a good idea to have arty without gun elevation? If the ground is completely flat you've got fairly bad range. If the ground is sloping the slightest bit downwards you're stuck with noticeably shorter range than most tanks you go up against have sight. If the enemy is on higher elevation than you? Lol, gently caress you you can't get a shot up there.

In arty view you move the cursor over a red tank but the target line is completely grayed out as far as you can see at the furthest zoom and helplessly you see the tank line up the gun perfectly with the target line and then you die. I might as well suicidally and slowly charge the enemy base every game and maybe get off a single shot that will likely miss instead of playing it like a regular arty. My only hope is that the second gun is somehow better.
:negative:

But on the plus side I've managed to raise my win rate in both my tiger and my tiger2 by 1% each. :toot:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I finally got the second gun for the bishop and it's bloody amazing. It still has the crappy range but instead of being caused by the gun aiming too low it's from aiming too high. The target reticle is a circle instead of a stretched oval. It drops poo poo like a dream right on top of the deliciously weak top armor like a dive bombing seagull.

The rest of the afternoon/evening can be summarized with :smithicide:

While I was trying to grind some xp for the horrible Chinese stuart t4 light I tried to take a short cut over a little bump on Sand River at 60km/h. Naturally there was not a slope on the other side but a steep drop down into a pit. Wrecked. It looked pretty cool though. I don't think the tank is actually that bad, it does ok in t4 battles, but it really blows against t6+ mediums and heavies which is what I'm mostly up against.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

Those are the 3 nights she's loving someone else.
Or cackling hysterically as she sneakily pubs around on his team causing him to lose game after game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Bishop's second gun is soooo good. I managed to carry a whole game with it. :swoon:

I picked up some vents and a net for it, is it worth buying something else for the third slot?

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 16, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Huh, my tank experience has gone up a lot. Probably all the pubbies playing worse puts the average skill below mine instead of above. :v:

rockopete posted:

Isn't it? That gun really makes the tank, and it's good practice for the FV304, which is the only reason I'm playing this line.

Gun rammer and gun laying device, mandatory for any arty. Drop the net, the Bishop moves so often due to the tiny gun traverse that you'll barely get any use out of it. Actually, even if you had massive traverse, the rammer and GLD would take priority, the Bishop is just an especially poor candidate for a camo net on top of that.
I see, thanks. But it would be a little too expensive to put both on it. The net was just because I had one lying around I wasn't using.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Valle posted:

You know how godawfully long it takes to aim in on arty? GLD helps with that. And rammer makes the ridiculous reload shorter. There was just a half-price sale on these things....might want to stock up next time there is one! Or you could just not play arty, thus evading this black stain on your soul!
The arty I've played the most is the S-51 so anything that aims and reloads faster than that is ok (maybe I should get rammer and lay a drive on it). I don't have enough money lying around to stock up on such things. My soul will remain black and stained.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I swear SerB was laughing his rear end off when he wrote some of the quest requirements.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm gonna sink some botes this weekend. :toot:

Most are probably going to be my own, but still.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Atal Vataman posted:

I seriously dont understand why they are touching shot dispersion. Surely there are better ways of countering snapshots... This sounds dumb as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG9OtzEa27g
I assume they won't lower the price of ammo to compensate for it?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Installing the bote beta is taking forever. Over 3 hours now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

McGavin posted:

Well you have until 6:00 PM EST before it starts.
According to a site with a really poor layout that should be... at midnight. No botes today then, because I have no confidence at all that the servers are going to be up and running enough to be playable until at least an hour or so later. The installation showed an error anyway and the retry took a long rear end time before giving the same error again.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dalael posted:

How are the carriers so far?
Can you carry games with them? :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

rossmum posted:

Boats weekend client is taking so painfully long to update I don't think I'll bother this time around.
No kidding? It's slow as a stock heavy with a broken engine and a dead driver, going uphill. Did they up the numbers of players a lot and didn't improve the servers or something?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

At loving last! Three hours last night and over four more hours today until the botes finally decides to slowdownload and install properly.

Hey, Wargaming! Here's my NDA breaking review of your beta so far:
YOUR SERVERS ARE poo poo! AND YOU SHOULD INSERT 88MM HE SHELLS UP YOUR ASSES!!!!! :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A ping of 200+? I can't say I'm very surprised.

NTRabbit posted:

Worth mentioning that Botes has a massive memory leak issue right now, I'm lasting maybe 5 battles between client restarts
I wonder if that's related to why my computer blue screened after the first battle.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Botes is pretty fun, even if I'm spending more time on fire and at the bottom than sailing. :toot:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Someone in a destroyer casually drove straight across the map and unloaded a large torpedo barrage into my carrier at about 50m away. Being unable to defend yourself or even maneuver is a bit annoying sometimes. Torpedo bombers are not good against destroyers at all and dive bombers are too slow to reload to be of much use.

At some point the queue screen was replaced with a completely black screen, plus mouse cursor. Why? Who knows. But the game went into matches as if it worked properly. :shrug:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Torpedoes are kinda fun. I drove a destroyer and launched a volley against an enemy ship and a minute later some of the torps that missed struck an allied cruiser. Then I rounded an island and drove straight into the remains of an allied torpedo pack and promptly sunk. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zettace posted:

So World of Warships is kind of fun. It's a decent game but there's a huge sync issue were ships are not actually where the game says they are. Ships are frequently in a different spot as displayed graphically and thus makes aiming impossible. Shots that hit dead on will just go through and do no damage but shots that hit the water in front of the ship will sometimes give you a "hit" which really ruins the atmosphere of the game.
Airplanes ignore that. But you'll see them teleport occasionally. And they sometimes bug out completely and just circle refusing to attack for no apparent reason. Torpedo bombers will randomly decide to fire wide spread hitting with only one instead of five shots. Fighters vs fighters doesn't seem to work most of the time, where both groups will just get stuck not shooting or moving for long periods of time.

The non-biplane dive bombers aren't too bad against battleships. They always hit and have a very high chance of fire which will cause the pubbie to press the repair button and then you send in the torps to strike him making nice long lasting holes in his hull while he's helpless to fix his poo poo tub.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Also tons of pubs in their tubs wanting to steamship around in a Bismark and would be willing to :homebrew: to do so.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hmmmm, on the NA server, would it work to claim that Lee was a nazi? Or would the wannabe-confederates approve of that? Maybe make up something about Lee and Rommel being gay lovers in warcrimes. But that might be too obvious.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nordick posted:

:psyboom:

As stupid as it would be, I would buy that in a heartbeat.
Only if it actually plays music for the other tanks and if you can leave paint marks for no damage (no friendly fire penalty) for the whole battle.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I hate Lakeville. Driving my Bishop towards the town so I can reach better and then I noticed on the map that one td camped spawn, the other two arty hid in the corner, one medium went town and everyone else clogged the valley. Clogged it like a toilet after a big mammal drops a massive poo poo into it. I barely failed to drown myself before I got blown up by the enemy lights and mediums that breezed through and murdered everyone from behind while their alley cloggers held the line. :shrek:

But then I went into my S-51 and hit a heavy for 1600 damage, one shotting him and after taunting him all was well again. :)

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 4, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Seriously, is there anyone more butthurt than goons who are forced to have their delicate senses violated by anything anime? :allears:
Sure there are some really pathetic people who are into it too much, but considering the thread we're in goons do not really have any moral high ground beyond "tanks are less creepy than cartoon highschool girls". :shrug:

Anyway I'm really looking forward to the closed beta when I can begin boteing again. Hopefully it won't be too long.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

rockopete posted:

It's not 'anything anime'--off the top of my head, I'm a fan of Cowboy Bebop, Attack on Titan, anything Miyazaki, if it matters--it's the creepy obsession with neotenized girls. Which is proudly displayed via avatars, sigs, etc on the official forums.

What are you trying to say with this phrase? I want to understand your meaning but you're referring to some context I guess I don't have? An infatuation among grown men with cartoon girls who exhibit childlike features and behavior is creepy regardless of the game or medium.
Maybe it's just me but it seems like anytime anything anime shows up here so many people get upset about it and start hurling insults and whatnot. Like the picture someone (on the WoT forums?) posted with their computer and anime posters and goons jumped at the chance to speculate about that person's hygiene and masturbation habits. It also seems a bit hypocritical since some here have proudly showed off the plastic tanks they've bought and put on display at their desks. As if there is much, or even any, difference between those behaviors.

Sorry that I wasn't clear, and probably still isn't. Oh, and the whole pedo implications are really creepy yes. But the average anime watcher doesn't do that any more than the average tank player is sitting in a fully authentic Wehrmacht uniform surrounded by tank models and tank planes listening to WW2 propaganda music. But you already know that. :shobon:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How does the smoke work when you deploy it anyway? Does it create a line based on your location and direction when you pop it or does it keep fogging up with your ship in the center?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Something wonderful with botes is when some scrub decides that it would be a swell idea to sail through the narrow straight between two islands. Not such a good idea when the torp bombers close in from the front and behind and you can't maneuver at all. :smug:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I had one freaking city map too many when trying to play arty. R-r-r-r-raaaage quit! :qq:

gently caress tall indestructible poo poo. If only it could collapse and bury tanks. Preferable worthless pubbie teammates.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Szcwczuk posted:

Arty is the worst part of this game.

Well that and people who have stats that are worse then me, even slightly worse.
What about people who have worse stats than you and like to play arty? Not that I do those things, nope.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Good god, some players in this game make me look competent. Top tank in my derpy kv-2 and I quickly notice I'm going to be alone on the flank I headed towards but I decided to just go with it. Only three or four enemy tanks went towards the same flank and a combination of their atrociously poor play and an otherwise worthless pubbie sniping from our base I held and pushed the flank while the rest of my team crushed and swept the other side of the map. You'd think anyone would at least attempt to move out of the way if they saw a big heavy mass of steel like a kv-2 slowly come barrelling down a slope straight at them instead of just calmly sitting there and taking ramming damage to the face. Good job driving that medium tank.

Most of the enemy TDs were hiding in a corner usually reserved for arty. There was no arty. :psyduck:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Desuwa posted:

Maybe he's on to something. Pubbies have an extra sense letting them know exactly when to change directions to dodge shots, even when they have no detectable reason to.
Especially when you're trying to sky cancer. :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Here's my shot of the day:
http://i.imgur.com/vvWEDhF.gifv

Yes, I'm the JT88 in the lower-right corner taking a crap shot and getting something out of it anyway.
Holy rust bricks. :stare:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dunno, it makes perfect sense to me to put people who join up together, and most likely have vastly better coordination and communication than the rest of the random scrubs, to be placed in a lower tier so they don't effortlessly end up dominating everything.

Joining a game and seeing a freaking three tank platoon on the enemy side taking up the top and you might as well save some time and drive into the nearest river.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sure. I'm all for making the game more fun and balanced.

I've long since forgotten, does the match maker treat stock or semi-stock tanks the same as the fully upgraded ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Turmoilx posted:

also a scummy thing iv been thinking of for a long time that maybe some of you scum lords can try out for me is remember those premium tank rentals? they say you can reclaim premiums by opening a ticket you have sold as long as you have one battle on your service record in it and have the credits to give back for it.. you know where i am going with this ~ free tier 8 premiums? HELLSAU
Won't you get seriously banned if you tried that?