Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sayara
May 10, 2009
Got hooked back in with some COME BACK COMMANDER WE NEED YOU! e-mail, and I'm surprised this runs so well on my laptop with no gpu. Seriously better than when I played with my old desktop, and it's weird how I'm having better fps with this. After couple of terrible warmup games, I managed to score my first ace with Alecto. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sayara
May 10, 2009
Took a break from this game and holy moley the amount of new tanks! I'm also back to being 40% scrub lord since I still can't play for poo poo. Anyhoo, how are these lines to play: German TDs with Nashorn, Russian mediums A-43 and up (and obj 140), British TDs and arties, Japanese and Czech in general?

Sayara
May 10, 2009

mmkay posted:

Any of the Soviet mediums really.

The new German TDs are glass cannons with big guns. The T8 used to be absolutely ridiculous with 400m view range, now it's merely very strong. The T10 has got an autoloader with a 128mm gun which can on average one clip every tank in the game from full health except for the Maus (it used to be able to one clip everything with damage to spare). The line can be boring to play since you need to stay fairly far back otherwise you will be nuked.
Most people hate the A-44, otherwise the line is good.
Only the Charioteer is usable from British TDs, avoid otherwise. FV304 for the arties can be fun, otherwise avoid as well (though the top tier can be hilarious, the grind is miserable at best).
The Japanese mediums are mostly painfully average with no armor at all. Heavies are hilarious brick tanks especially the T5-7, definitely try them out.
No opinion on the Czech line yet, the T5 is ok I guess.

Thanks (and Psykmoe for Czechs), seems like I started on wrong tds with Brits, and holy poo poo tiers 2-4 on Jap heavies are painful. At least they should be over fast and tier 5 indeed looks like okay considering armor.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Time to play a lot of artillery so you can win one instead.

Naw the tier 5 is a giant armorless box but it gets a fantastic 300 damage gun at tier 5, and leads into the tier 6 which is just incredibly well armored and packs a gigantic cannon. And then you might play the tier 7 since it's allegedly good and then you stop because the tier 8+ are worthless.

Now that I don't do CW and there's no ridiculous grind to get tier 10 involved, I'm fine with this, cheers.

Sayara
May 10, 2009
Hey what's this talk about shooting ap with arty? Before I started again it was HE all day long.

Sayara
May 10, 2009
Speaking of M53/55, should I get that instead of T92 that I already have to do arty missions?

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Mad Emu Sex0r posted:

Move mods into new folder(9.14.1), all seem to still work fine.

Same. For some reason the game never manages to update when choosing IS-8-ball, but I can just disable mods if I want to play pool of tanks.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Turmoilx posted:

no reason to buy french m4 when theres op stuff like skorp g and defender just gotta wait for em to be on sale :(

This. It seems whoever sports more of these at tier VIII wins. Also gently caress me Caernarvon is painful and tier VIII in general, 150 games and avg battle tier is 9.7. :smithicide:

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

Why are you playing the Caernarvon now? It's in it's shittest version and is about to be hugely buffed. Hold off until the patch hits.

Might be a sucker for pain and attempting to get fv215b before patch hits.

Sayara
May 10, 2009
After not giving WG money in god knows how many years, I succumbed. No IS-3A, but 25 box haul gave me KV-220-2, Skorpion, Defender, some IS-7 style, 8250 gold and 25 days of premium, so still obviously better than just buying gold from the store. Took the Skorpion for a test drive and it didn't feel like a balanced tank either, so IS-3A must be something else.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Also, what's the verdict on the French Bat-Chat mediums? I'm wondering if I should stick with the B-C 12t to unlock the T9 medium as well, or just power through to the AMX 13-90 immediately. Of course it's a bit of a moot point seeing as the Top of the Tree ends tomorrow and there's no way I'm unlocking the T10 light by then. I'm at about 130k/180k to unlock the AMX 13-90 as it is.

They're great, you can clip same tier mediums to death with both, they're fast, and have decent camo.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Foch 155, 20m silver straight sale, 2600 units on NA.

Another one that'll be gone in less than 10 seconds.

15000 units on EU, but not gonna sell my tanks for this one.

Sayara
May 10, 2009
Got offers for Caernarvon Action X, T 34 B, Chrysler K GF, BT-SV, and Pz.Kpfw. V/IV. I've already got regular T 34, but any recommendations or comments about the others?

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Mesadoram posted:

I miss that tank when it was T9. It was a DPS monster IIRC, gun was fantastic.

Then they changed it into a premium and poo poo all over it. But yeah, changing it into a TD and just fixing the gun would make that thing so much better.

First iteration on test server it was practically the same, but by the time it reached live they nerfed the gun ridiculously hard.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

McGavin posted:

Man, the arty rework is dumb as hell. AP is like 400 damage with arty accuracy on a 30 second reload and the damage HE doesn't have a big enough damage difference from the stun HE with zero splash.

There is literally no reason to use anything other than the stun HE. Plus stun gives you like 10 seconds to leech damage on the off chance your brain damaged teammates manage to hit something.

Arty missions are gonna be fun if the change goes through. :allears:

Sayara
May 10, 2009

saintonan posted:

To be fair the Standard B is pretty good, and the tier X is great for ranked. The tier 7 and 8 scare a lot of people off the line, though, especially when they can just play the tier 8 prem.

Didn't Standard B get nerfed pretty hard? It's still probably not the worst line of tier 8 and 9 to play, but I've been putting off playing Pantera because of that.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Waffenträger auf Panzer IV -- which gun?

I assume the situation is still the same as with the Rheinmetall-Borsig Waffanträger, ie. if you want to snipe you get the top 128mm, if you want to peek around corners and blap, the 150mm?

Don't forget you get more gun depression when you're backwards or sideways rather than pointing forwards, nice for hills and you get to back out faster.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Gorman Thomas posted:

Video timestamped just before Skill spits out 4.5k damage in 80 seconds in the 07 RH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3sHMlxIorY&t=1121s

That thing has what, 5000 dpm with those 90mm pen HE rounds. Melts all the borats and progettos pretty fast if given the chance. :catstare:

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

:v:

E: post 1.13 arty looks ... well ... oh boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TPol11gw0I

AP rounds, as predicted, are 100% useless because they have the same accuracy as HE shells so hitting anything with your 45 second reload time gun is extremely difficult and pure RNG. The splash on the "damaging shell" is also pitifully small on T10 arty.

In Dez's video a Conqueror Gun Carriage lands a 234mm HE shell within a tank's length of a Grille 15 and does 0 damage. It's just so loving stupid, and makes _no_ sense. Even a 155mm HE shell IRL would absolutely SHRED a Grille's crew from 50-100 meters away, but here a far far bigger shell does no damage beyond 6 meters.

(E: lol and slightly later he lands a shell on top of an Object 261 where the explosion covers half the tank, but 0 damage)

And of course none of this solves arty's problem because people will still mostly fire stunning shells (so you'll take a bit less damage than currently, but still eat stuns all the time) and there will still be 3 arty in most games.

A++ rework.

Oh boy, I can't wait to try to get arty missions done after this rework goes live.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

So ultimately it comes down to "if you're having fun, by all means spend money. If you're not, why are you spending money?"

This really. I personally took a break for years since I was just fed up with the game and decisions wg made. Now I've been spending tenner a month and don't mind it at all since I'm having fun again. My guess is it's because I've been playing lower tiers more than I used to thanks to battle pass points.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The end result? Arty still fires stun shells 90% of the time but does less damage than before. Getting focused by multiple arty is still a complete loving nightmare, but playing arty is so irritating now that the numbers are dropping pretty fast. Despite them talking about reworks and more exciting gameplay it was a huge nerf across the board, and of course they didn't undo any of the earlier nerfs (like nuking arty's credit earning coefficients or XP gains) so now you'll lose money all the time and good luck trying to complete any missions.

Seconding this. Tier 6 games tend to still have arties (M44 supremacy still reigns there), but of the tier 8 games most are without arty whatsoever. I think only time I saw them yesterday was when I played one myself to get daily mission done.

Sayara
May 10, 2009
Sometimes you just can't carry hard enough. On the other hand, my first ace tanker from defeat.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Huh weird, usually it's the EU that gets stiffed. Maybe they'll activate it on the NA servers later, or tweet out a NA code?

The code also seems to give different things. I didn't get the 2D style, but 10 charges of something. I don't know what they are, where to find them, or what they're supposed to do, but 10 charges is 10 charges.

Sayara
May 10, 2009
My top 10 with 25 games minimum:

These are pretty drat old stats though, I don't think I've played Tetrarch since the month it came out.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Atomizer posted:

I had XP banked on the T1HT so I immediately unlocked the Pawlack tank, but I haven't purchased it yet. It looks like a worse M6, so for those of you who've played it, is it worth skipping or not?

Haven't played it myself yet, but what I've heard 6 and 8 are highlights of that line. It is shaped better than M6 imo, and it's a whole lot better on the move so you can actually get into action.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

The French Army posted:

Downloading this stupid loving game again after years of not playing. What do I need to know? The first thing that struck me is how insanely expensive the premium tanks are now, what the gently caress.

HE shells got nerfed, so you can't spam hull down tanks with them anymore like you used to. Or well, you can, but you're probably dealing like 20 damage instead of 200. Made some tanks even bigger monsters than before, like T95/Chieftain and Object 279(e), and some pretty worthless, like japanese heavies from tier 7 onward. They're still good depending on tank if you can pen with them though. Arty got nerfed too, and they now have 3 types of shells: damaging splash shell, stunning shell, and ap shell. Others than stunning are pretty much a trap. As a result, the amount of arties is a lot smaller now, and I think I haven't seen 3 arty game since the changes went in. This means there tends to be more heavies in games, as the things they were weak against are gone.

There's more equipment now, things like improved aiming that makes your aiming circle smaller, or turbocharger that increases engine power and top speed. New thing is field modifications, which are something that you can spend exp on your elited tanks for bonuses on some stats, while nerfing some others. These modifications also allow you to take second set of shells and second set of equipment and choose between them before battle starts. You can peek at some suggestions on what to use on tanks at skill4ltu.eu.

Bunch of QoL mods got put into the base game, like detection circles, team hp, etc, so you can play pretty much modless without being gimped compared to others. Only one I use myself is Mark of Excellence mod. Oh, and there's a ton of bullshit premiums at tier 8 now that just poo poo on most tech tree tanks of same tier, but you'll learn about them pretty drat soon. Other than these it's pretty much the same game as it used to be. Be patient, use your tanks strengths, and pray for rng gods.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

The French Army posted:

On the topic of mods. Is there one I can install that shows stats in-game? I need to know what pubbies are trash and which ones are actually kinda ok.

You'll want XVM for that.

Sayara
May 10, 2009
Trading caravan temporarily unavailable, I wonder what they hosed up this time.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Are they fast enough to have a chance to run up and ram an enemy tank before getting blown up enemy shells?

Yes. However you're the lightest Tier X tank in the game, so you'll lose the exchange even against EBR.

I've been playing that line now, and it's a miserable experience. They have few things going for them, and those are marginally better camo, penetration, and gun depression compared to other light lines, and well, only penetration seems to be consistent, and that's only with silver ammo. Others can just push 2 and get better pen than Brights. Oh, and guns are loving derpy to boot, so you're gonna miss that marginally better penning shot. And how about that DPM? Tier 7s, Brit: 1360, Chinese: 1841, US 2086. Same poo poo goes on at every tier. I mean sure, other light lines tier Xes aren't always stellar, but at least the lines tend to have something going for them, at least one tank or something. Like you can have autoloader, being wheeled rear end hole, good gun handling with speed on hills, small assholes with bouncy turrets. Even chinese line has tier VII being great tank, if nothing else. British line has nothing, not a single tank worth playing at all. After Crusader that is, that's not a bad tank for tier VI.

Sayara
May 10, 2009
God dammit, I'm tempted by the Progetto 46 sale since I didn't play during the marathon, and I'd even have a coupon to bring the price down a bit. Someone tell me it's a bad tank, and I shouldn't give WG money, thanks.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Sorry, but it's one of the most op tier 8 premiums in the game. When WG decided that Italian autoloaders could no longer use gun rammers, they baked a gun rammer reload bonus into the Progetto, so you essentially get four pieces of equipment on it.

And it's great in drat near every other way as well

E: lol ffs, Skill is currently streaming a game where the enemy team has a platoon of _three_ Chieftains. His team has a Type 5 heavy, a Kranvagn and a 60TP.

The Chieftain players are loving godawful but still, amazing work matchmaker.

Well gently caress me then. Maybe I'll forget it while their shop is hosed, can't use my coupon on anything now for some reason.

On the mm thing, I don't think matchmaking can make that platoon fair in any way. Kranvagn, 60TP are at least good tier Xs, and Type 5 is poo poo compared to literally anything else.

Sayara
May 10, 2009
So how does this mark of excellence stuff work? 3 days ago I started O-Ni and my mod said it needed 750 (lol) for 100% performance, and now it says it needs 1600. Is this just mod being quirky or does the value fluctuate that wildly?

Sayara
May 10, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

Don't grind the Jap heavies. Any gold shell will pen them right through the turret front (10x easier then even Germans), and uhh credits are not really an issue atm.
Type 5 is not even 300mm thick, many tier 8 mediums can do that now.

Yeah, I think I'll stop this line at tier 7, I like it and tier 6 for some odd reason, while the later ones get to be put in games with vastly better counterparts.

Also figured out why the MoE values are so odd. They were simply based on the number of games I had played with the tank, and comparing them to others with similar number of games.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It is very fun. It's also so blatantly OP if you know how to play even a little bit that there's a good chance they won't sell it again any time soon. Then again they are very greedy so vOv.

It's so horrible to face against that Skill gave up on marking Skoda T56 and started to mark LT432 instead. :aloom:

Sayara
May 10, 2009
Sometimes you carry with little help.

Sayara
May 10, 2009
Caved in and got 80 boxes. Got BaZaa and Iron Arnie, what I wanted and enough gold for years premium and Reneé, so yay. :toot:

Sayara
May 10, 2009
AT7, the camo scout:

Our team lost the hill, so I just stayed in a bush I created next to church, and team made magic happen. :allears:

Most likely won us the game as enemy cobra farmed the hell out of our team and we were left with two tds at 150 hp and arty.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I am really into the Italian TDs. Only on the T7 so far, but it's an excellent assault TD. When you're playing against equal tier or lower tier enemies, you can do some REAL aggro poo poo and you'll bounce poo poo from even higher tier opponents.

Yeah, they seem a pain in the rear end to deal with. I've been playing British slow-but-possibly-brick-wall TDs, and Italians seem like better versions of them in every way, at least when they're the ones opposing me.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

McGavin posted:

The tier 8 Italian TD is really bad because it can get penned through the track covers like the Black Prince or whatever "armoured" UK heavy has the same problem.

Oh, I haven't faced those as much. The tier 7 doesn't seem to have other than really small cupolas on top of turret that I could pen with gold in my AT7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sayara
May 10, 2009
Yay, finally the ace on this drat thing.