Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Im starting to like stronghold missions.
clan activated 2 missions today when i played.

1st was get in top 2 , 2 games in a row... 7 days prem reward
2nd was damage 8 tanks, 600k credits reward

both finished without trying :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Nah I dont follow it too much , just heard people mention it in ts. I think the main thing is that they were trying to get rid of the phenomenon on lights that simply hitting the battle button for a competent player was 3k wn8. If you are still crushing with the m41 you will still see inflated wn8.

playing tanks that pubbies like to suicide with, is a easy way to raise wn8, not only lights..
but lights that are overperforming are extremly easy to get a nice score in, m41, elc, amx90.. etc
playing Soft armored tanks also comes to mind, like batchat, leopard, 50B... anything that you cant drive without at least some experience with the game.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Computer viking posted:

Ha, I'm kind of prepared for that. Seems like a fun tank in isolation - drives well, good gun. Shame it melts quickly and seems to be significantly less value to a team than an equally good E100 (or whatever) ... but so far I actually enjoy tooling around in it. :)

didnt it just get an armor buff and reload buff? i think its pretty good now.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Poil posted:

There are too many tanks and tds in this game, and they all have stupid letters and numbers as names making it impossible to keep them apart. Especially bad when models show up from different countries with different properties. How the hell does anyone manage to keep track of all that? Forget trying to remember weakspots or guns and armor values or even telling if a tank has one gun instead of another unless it's something obvious with an old model like the KV2 with a derp or long gun.

I did a tier 8-10(?) round on Ruinberg in my Tiger 2 and I decided to go with the mediums to the small building cluster in the east since trying to pen anything in the city with the stock gun is a little frustrating. My contribution was, possibly, what helped push the odds in our favor and when the smoke cleared there was me and a medium and one enemy td left. The td was hiding behind a building so I couldn't see what it was but the info below the red symbol told me it was a tier 9 with a name that meant dick all to me (couldn't even tell the nationality of the drat thing). As I cautiously approached to circle around the house to flank it while the medium was doing peekaboo front to front fighting I noticed it was driving forward and backwards so confidentially I drove around the corner to track and kill it. Of course as everyone has already realized it turned out to have a turret and I died before I had time to even react. :sigh:

TLDR: Clicking red tanks is hard. :saddowns:

This is why going up to T10 ASAP is a bad idea

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Hellsau posted:

HEAT is poo poo but you need the pen. Load all HEAT because you might run out of ammo.

I disagree, i got 8 heat shells total, but allmost never use them, AP can deal with anything, unless its a hulldown is7/e100

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, prioritize the D-10T2S, because the 140 is a better T-62A. Even though clans want more than one T10, the way the T-62A is spoken about now is "seriously...no one else has a 140 that's not locked...okay, I *guess* you can bring your -62A..."

we just call them "russian mediums" , doesnt matter which one anyone picks, they are all so similar that the difference isnt noticeable in CW.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Polska jest stos śmieci dla Moskali na mocz na."

Rough translation: "Poland is a pile of trash for Muscovites to urinate on." If you want to just say "Russians" instead of Muscovites, that's "Rosjan," and "civilized Europeans" evidently makes the translation longer and slightly different:

"Polska jest kupa śmieci w cywilizowanych Europejczyków do oddawania moczu na."

I tried saying this together with Siema PL at start of every game today.

Was chatbanned after 5 games

and I didnt feel i got any response at all.. maybe i was wrong

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

MoraleHazard posted:

Thanks for the advice on getting gud.

What's wrong with the T110E4?

nothing is wrong with the E4, its king og peekaboo. 750alpha + turret makes it.
Rarely used in cw, but most TD's dont see much CW either, they just arent flexible enough.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

rossmum posted:

No, my argument is that its front doesn't bounce anything and its turret is no benefit to it if it gets circled anyway, so you may as well drive something with no turret but actual armour.

Seriously the E4 is frontally pennable by T9 and 10 mediums at any range they can see it from, and it has those wonderful T110 sides that can be penned from the front if it's even a little angled.

Wrong, once again, the turrets makes the E4 so much more flexible then any other T10 TD. Not having to turn your tank around corners/hard cover is what makes it.

and best armor is not getting shot in the first place. E4 shots through anything and can expect the same thing in return. no problem there, and with a 750 alpha you can trade shots with almost anything.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

no rossmum,

unless your a tomato and placing yourself in the open grassfield, there shouldnt be any problem trading shots.
If there is a t62 wanting to trade a 320 shots for a 750, then thats my point. your not gonna stand there, takin next shot, because then your back behind cover.
The turret gives you that advantige over turretless TD's, you dont need to turn to shoot. reload doesnt matter, can be 20+ sec whatever

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

rossmum posted:

That might sound fine in theory but...

It doesnt just sound fine, it works.

This game isnt about 1on1, you dont sign any "death warrant" by missing shots. what signs your death warrant is not useing the terrain as cover. Most likely id drive my e4 out when i see that you allready have shot at something else, then if you peek out again, you get a 750shot, and maybe you hit a snapshot back.. Effectivly lockin down your position, you'll proberly relocate then take a E4 shot, so suddenly I have control over that area.

E4 is really flexible tank, good on all maps.

Im not familiar with the difference between EU and NA servers, but i get a feeling that there's alot worse/smaller playerbase in NA, and you have to play smarter in EU to stay in the top.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Saint Celestine posted:

I make money in my E100 firing 100% Gold.

Steps to achieve this:

1. Maintain 85% hit rate
2. Win

Winning Solo would be the problem doh, not the hit rate.
Get a platoon, win close to every game = profit in any tank.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Saint Celestine posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm not sitting there just holding my shot the entire game. The E100 is not even the worst at this.

If you really want to see winning matches at a credit loss, play an STB.

how can you lose credits with STB, doesnt it have APCR as standard ammo?

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
i like the spg-7 mission, says you need to kill an arty, but you have to kill a TD to finish mission :)

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Cippalippus posted:

Victory
Swamp
T37
Experience received:1.650 Credits received 33.735
Battle achievements 3 Marks of Excellence, Mastery Badge: "I Class"

:toot:

Did they change the requirements? I've been away for a month, but I remember that I wasn't that close to the third mark. I noticed that all my tanks are higher.

they changed it, its really easy to get now. more pubbie friendly i guess

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Tias posted:

This game looks amazing, yet confusing. Should I just jump in, or is the learning curve steep?

try to stay alive, use terrain as cover, that will be your hardest part. the spotting mechanic is the most confusing, (how you see other tanks, and when they see you), other then that, its just a shooting game with tanks..

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

The game is 1000% less frustrating if you turn off win percentage/wn8 and turn off chat when you're not trolling. Playing tanks as a single player game with an interesting but really goofy AI solves a whole lot of frustration problems.

This.
Dont need to turn off wn8, seeing who's xvm arty or decent, is nice to know about. But win percentage is bullshit.
Dont ever trust your team to win for you, do it yourself.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

The accuracy nerf never felt like much of a nerf, the amount of poo poo that seems to land on snap shots feels really high. I've had a lot of hits from things that in the past wouldn't have gotten near me.

The nerf is very noticeable only when sniping from distance, it did however not change a thing about snapshotting.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Zettace posted:

If they wanted medium tanks to flank then they wouldn't make all maps 3 lane dota maps.

lol, if only they could understand...

its also the cause of shorts games now, since pubbies doesnt need to hide, its just lemming into a lane and crash into enemy lemmings. makes pubbie meta about HIGH alpha short range fights. this leads to 3mins fight everytime, with the side that gets the first lucky shots in, murdering the other side easily 15-5.

And about the silver nerd : Devs want to create more butthurt then there already is about premium ammo :) fun times ahead

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Azhais posted:

Yeah, I have the same problem with my 50b. I hate hanging back but that's really what you need to do in those tanks.

Thats what you need to do in all tanks.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
They have to find a profitable way to replace the FV before it happens :)

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Azhais posted:

Yeah, just add a ladder system. Non ladder games are open pool like the current mm and don't affect rating on the ladder.

but they are adding a ladder system for teambattles for those interested in that.

I think the MM is fine, just platoon with 2 others, problem solved.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Use gold whenever feels right, all the time is an option of course. I'm not denying good ACPR on the 1390. Something is wrong if you can't make 170 pen work against anything other than tanks with >170mm sides, though. Those are when gold is a must. You have a genuine playstyle problem if you can't figure out how to aim for weak spots or position to shoot the side of tanks.

I guess I'm used to low pen, playing e25/t71/t69 and doing well in them?

With 40 sec reload time on amx 1390, you dont have option to switch ammo whenever 170pen will be enough. Its one of those tanks where you just only carry one ammo type, like most autoloaders.
The amx 1390 also has very little ammo, and will run out of ammo often. And since you'll see t10 games mostly, you'll need all the apcr you can get.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Punished for using the Hellcat/T49 to grind credits.

WN8 is worthless. Anyone who disagrees, please check my stats in my mediums. WN8 is supposed to balance extremely overpowered tanks with relatively underpowered tiermates, so doing well in a T-54 is viewed as less impressive than performing well in a Leo PTA. I am not a very good T-54 player. My adequate play in the T-54 should not be given 3200 WN8. If WN8 doesn't actually balance good tanks against bad tank statwise, why the gently caress even bother with the whole exercise except to give stat padders a way to grind a particular tank and get artificially inflated stats?

How can you be punished for playing Hellcat/t49?, those 2 are like the best carry tanks to play at respective tiers?

t-54 proberly gets lowered by the amount of russian pubbies goin for it :P

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

How the Red Army learned to fight: Victorious '45

Nice, would be also more interesting if you can dig up how the Germans/British/American did things in the same year*

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

rossmum posted:

Just saw a 260 and T-55A in the same match, same team, not platooned. T-55 was firing HEAT at things he didn't need it for :sigh:

Saw a second T-55A later, too. Meanwhile, I just narrowly missed LT-15, again.

why shouldn't he shoot Heat at everything :) Only poors can't afford gold rounds.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

rossmum posted:

Because it doesn't normalise, it doesn't handle spaced armour well, and tracks eat it? Shooting all HEAT out of anything above tier 5 that isn't an E100 is dumb as all hell and the mark of a bad player who desperately wants to be one of the cool kids.

The majority of ammo shot from a T-54/T-55 should be AP unless you're frontally engaging heavies. This winner was firing HEAT at the sides of lower-tier mediums, and not doing damage because their tracks kept eating it.

I think the t54/55 is the exseption from this rule, due to the difference in pen between normal AP and heat. I think AP is 200'ish and Heat is 330'ish? , which makes a huge difference. who needs normalization when you get 100+ exstra pen. just shoot anything in front instead of tracks and your fine, even turrets are easy pens.

personally i avoid heat due to spaced armor/tracks myself. but the t54 is one of the few i carry lots of heat, and im close to gettin the t55 as well :)

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

DonkeyHotay posted:

Why the heck would you not nerf the batchat heat round?

Because APCR is superior?

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
the campaign is a joke, been really inactive in it, but played 3 Battles today, and went from 20k fame to 80k+ .. and in top 4500 now

maybe i'll get a free is-5 for no effort whatsoever :)

and Not shooting heat With t-54 is just gimping yourself, just checked the tank in garage, and im carryin' 25/25 AP/Heat in it. proberly the tank i carry the most gold ammo in.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Im not sure, but i think the lower requirement for EU & RU is that alot more clans, means its harder win a landing and aquire/keep a Territory for all the terrible clans.

Everyone who was slighty active in my clan seems to have gotten the tank. I even just got 60K fame the last day, in 3 Battles. so its almost no effort whatsoever.

having 2 swabia maps doh was a joke. 2nd and 3rd Place in EU got a free ride to the top, playing in Northern swabia without any real opposition.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

IS-5 TL:DR

IS-3 With A Blind Gunner.

It is a fun tank, but oh boy can it not shoot straight. Credits it makes are not too bad.

This! I can't remember a tank that i have missed so many shots With as the IS-5 , its my poorest performing t8 tank so far..

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

mmkay posted:

Speaking of arty.

VK4502B.jpg all day.

this is jpg for all good players in any tank

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

unlawfulsoup posted:

WN8 and Winrate combined are pretty much the only half decent barometer of skill in the game. Between the two you know if someone wins games and if they can actually damage the enemy. You can pad them, but the general idea holds water.

I agree With this, 65%+ wr + Purple/blue wn8 usualy tells the truth, especially if the player has over 20k+ Battles, Battles played also tells alot about experience, but rerollers With 3500+ wn8 know their poo poo as well...

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Funny story - when people accuse me of being a stat padder because I played a lot of Hellcat, T49/T67, T18 and Ltraktor, I know they're just full of poo poo. My WN8 in them is horrendous - it's sabotaging my overall stats because having 800 games in a tank hundreds of WN8 below overall WN8 is kind of difficult. My stats actually come from playing a bunch of tier 8s and 7s, and COINCIDENTALLY ENOUGH the T-54 is a stat padding tank. 400 games in it, 3200 WN8, in one of the agreed upon best tier 9s? Okay I wonder why a bunch of stat padders would designate one of the known stat padder tanks as a tank with favorable expected values?

Fortunately every time they change the WN8 numbers/formula my stats go up because again, it's a terrible metric made by terrible people. Just ignore WN8 of other people, it really is worthless.

Wn8 is based upon how others do in that one tank respectivly. So as long as its a popular tank, all players(most are bad) will be drawn to play it, doesnt matter if the tank is good or bad.
Tiger I is a Perfect exsample. Its a overbuffed deathstar of a tank now, and it still has very low average wn8 performance. do you own HP back in damage and your a statspadder god.
The t-54 is another exsample, its a tank from the beginning, thats allways been a favorite to play, but With only 200pen bad players will have a very hard time playing it. on the other hand, good players will do awsome in it, because its a very very good tank to play, a high skill/ high reward tank.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Hellsau posted:

The problem is that WN8 favors certain tanks, and it just so coincidentally happens that it favors tanks that good players enjoy playing and can carry in. Coincidentally.

http://www.wotstats.org/stats/na/rankizama/

Have fun.

how does it favor certain tanks? sounds like bullshit to me.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Hellsau posted:

The level I played the T-54 at does not deserve 3275 average WN8. I unlocked both tier tens from it, playing 374 games in it, and padded my WN8 sky high merely by playing a great tank decently. A metric shouldn't reward people who are seeking to pad the metric for playing the tanks that they were already going to play to pad other metrics. That defeats the entire purpose. By all means reward the player who can make the Sturer Emil or A-44 or SU100-M1 work for them, but the T-54 has 160 less expected damage than Type 61 and the goddamn Centurion 7. That's not appropriate. You shouldn't be expected to perform better in a worse tank to receive the same outcome.

It will even out eventually when you grind up other tanks. one-trick ponys are easy to discover.. Your t-54 performance is superior to others t-54 drivers, what else is there to say? there's only a few tanks that are this way, due to popularity of that tank. there's very few "padders", the overall population doesnt care, and wn8 together with wr is the best metric atm.

edit :
if you a decent player, you'll get the same wn8 in Your other t9 mediums as the t-54

Descar fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 13, 2015

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

JohnGalt posted:

Have you never played light/medium tanks?

it doesnt favor them, its just that light/mediums are high skill / high reward tanks. it means, if Your good, it will show on your wn8 very clearly,
but you need to know spotting mechanics + have map experience + Battle experience, then its easy to outperform clumsy and slow tanks.

a Nice exsample is the t95, you can put a superunicum into it, and it wount perform that much better then a tomato, due to very Limited options, its very low skill / low reward tank.
the total opposite would be the amx 13 90, puttin a superunicum into this tank, and he has all the options he needs to change the Battle, only missing armor/alpha, total opposite of t95.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

McGavin posted:

Sometimes you can't avoid watching your shitlord teammates get rear end blasted even when you hit every shot.

hahaha, this.. its so hopeless to play arty solo.. and you cant give any advice whatsoever, and asking People to wait for Your reload is pointless...

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

McGavin posted:

Some shitler in THUGZ got salty over my lack of contribution in a tier 9 match last night. I was driving a Challenger on Lakeville, one of the worst DOTA maps in the game, and still managed to do more damage than the E 75 on our team, which did precisely zero. Apparently I'm far more to blame than him for the loss.

hahaha. this is the best type of ignorant pubbies. everything outside driving straight at enemy is camping btw. driving back to defend capzone is definalty camping, so is hiding back any cover whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
There's no A45's on EU server, this makes me sad :(