Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
So is there a current goon chat channel in game? The PGS thread doesn't really seem up to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

subhelios posted:

PGS thread IS up to date. We just haven't changed the password since then :v:

Gotcha. Made it into the channel. Thanks.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I was watching a Russian twitch stream and a mod he was using caught my eye. His garage has a stats overlay on the tank icons:

He didn't speak english so I couldn't ask where to find it and some cursory google searching turned up nothing. Does anyone have any idea where I can get this mod?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Does anyone have an OMC modpack config that they are willing to share? I've been trying to piece together my own but I've been having issues with the game crashing with the options I've been using.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Atomizer posted:

I wish they had shareable config files, because that would be a lot easier than having to type up a list or verbally tell others what mods to use. With that being said, you can still play around with the OMC modpack installer and come up with a setup that's mostly compatible. Any options you pick will almost always work together. The only time you will really have issues is right after a patch hits, before the mod makers have had a chance to work out all the bugs.

If you see me on TS or in-game, though, hit me up and I can give you recommendations.

Maybe it's a new feature of the OMC installer, but mine has buttons on the side (in the purple box) that allow you to save/load config files:

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Since vertical stabilizer is a must on pretty much every tank that can use it, most lights/mediums are left with picking two of: rammer, optics, or vents. It might just be me but I often pick vents + optics and drop the rammer. I prefer to have the flat stat increase from vents instead of the higher DPM from the rammer.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
For those of you who are giving me flack for not using a rammer on every tank, my inspiration for that was this article: http://wotlabs.net/articles/rethinking-rammer/. But I can put it back on all my tanks.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
If I were deciding between just getting the Cromwell B or the Rudy, which is the better T6 medium in the opinion of those who have bought the package and played both? Currently leaning Cromwell B.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 7, 2015

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Can someone who has been following the game more closely than me help me understand this stat line? I don't think I've ever seen a WN8 that high with that many battles played...

Was the VK 28.01 nerfed at some point and these stats are from before the nerf? Or is it just that Straik is simply that dominant in T6 lights?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

CompeAnansi posted:

Can someone who has been following the game more closely than me help me understand this stat line? I don't think I've ever seen a WN8 that high with that many battles played...

Was the VK 28.01 nerfed at some point and these stats are from before the nerf? Or is it just that Straik is simply that dominant in T6 lights?

I think I can answer my own question now. It looks like the VK 28.01 used to be a T5 light with a better top speed, less weight, more armor, better aim time, and better accuracy. It was moved up a tier in March 2013 and all those stats I listed were nerfed. You can see this if you look at the noobmeter page for the tank, almost every single one of the top performances happened before March 2013. I assume, then, that the Straik played the tank before that time and then the WN8 got crazily inflated after the patch because the current iteration is significantly worse, leading to a lower expected value. Bummer, I was hoping to have found a hidden gem.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 8, 2015

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

DonkeyHotay posted:

I personally find it easier to cheese w/r than wn8 but I don't play lights.

Yeah my understanding was that both are 'cheese-able' but in different ways. Playing only in platoons will increase your win rate although not necessarily your WN8, while damage whoring in tanks with lower expected values will increase your WN8 but not necessarily your win rate.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

primelaw posted:

It's only the discounted amount for now, but tomorrow it should give a total of 11250 gold. I don't mind the 3000 gold difference too badly from the two i redeemed

That's a really good deal. I think I might jump on that and get two (since I don't have the tank yet).

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
So it looks like they're going to be removing four more tanks from the shop in the 9.8 patch:

British Sexton I
Soviet SU-85I
American RAM II
German Pz.Kpfw. IV Schmalturm

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/31/premium-vehicle-removal-round2/

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

JuffoWup posted:

I'm always confused by the less than 47% winners with 20k+ battles. What kind of fun are they deriving from this game.

They get to putz around and pretend they are Rommel

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

DonkeyHotay posted:

My average damage over 100+games in the Jumbo is around 1600 and my average wn8 is like 6k-ish. I would vote for the Jumbo.

Do you think the jumbo is a better choice than the easy 8 if one were progressing up the american medium tree right now?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I guess I should note that I am already half way through the T32, so the benefit of accessing both lines doesn't really matter for me. Just looking to go down the medium line eventually. I'll probably still go easy 8 since it plays more like an actual medium.

EDIT: According to the internet, the 105mm HEAT nerf hit the jumbo kinda hard, making it worse than it used to be. So maybe it's not worth getting now, especially since people shoot gold more often these days, devaluing the increased armor of the jumbo.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 19, 2015

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

M.C. McMic posted:

How's the Lorraine 40 t? I'm kinda focusing on moving up the American and French med lines.

Doesn't mean much because he's a really good player, but Blue_Stealth has been killing it in the Lorraine on his stream today. He makes it look easy, and I'd definitely look at the archived broadcast for today for tips on how to play it.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

kemikalkadet posted:

across the board pen nerf?

From what I've seen the pen nerf is not in this patch. Can anyone confirm?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
It seems like the main feature of 9.8 is that all the 9.7 replays no longer work... The replay system is rather annoying.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

On the shop I'm looking at it says

I'm pretty sure that's correct. I applied four of them just fine but got an error with a valid 5th code. I know it was valid because I tested it on an alt account to prove to customer service that the code was invalid and it worked. :v:

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I know most people in the thread don't watch replays posted here, but I feel compelled to post this one since it's the first time that I can remember that I've actually carried a match while playing solo (note: I've only got ~3000 games played). It was a tier 6 match in my easy 8. The match came down to a 3v4 at the end and when it came time to finish off their last two tanks, I only had 11 hp left. Finished the match with 3100 damage and four kills.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1922846#fiery_salient-compeanansi-m4a3e8_sherman

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Here are three good resources for learning where to go on maps:

The classic guide that isn't super detailed, but can be helpful as a quick reference when your match is loading: http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/2760-okeano-rexxies-guide-on-where-not-go-to-on-maps-updated-11215/

More detailed map reviews, but haven't been updated recently so its missing maps like overlord and missing any changes to game flow that might result from recent map changes: http://wotguru.com/map-strategy/

Finally, what is shaping up to be the best resource is Kolnidur's map guides that he's working on right now. He hasn't covered all the maps yet, but his guides are the best I've seen: http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/19811-kolni-goes-through-the-wot-maps/

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

kemikalkadet posted:

http://www.vbaddict.net/heatmaps/

This site is also good for general areas to go on maps. You can filter it by class as well so you can see how spots for TD's differ from meds for example.

One thing to note about the heatmaps is that they are best used to tell you where the pubbies are likely to go. They don't always tell you where you should go given where the pubbies are going.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

quote:

- T-34-85 Rudy's S-53 gun has improved penetration because "it has different shells";
- Rudy's gun is also more accurate than regular T-34-85's gun because "the tank is manned by a mega-crew and a dog";

Wargaming :allears:

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
There is no way wargaming won't gently caress that game up. Look at their track record.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Zanziabar posted:

I've played many games of tanks, but I think the T20 is probably one of the finest I've played. There's literally nothing the tank can't do. This wasn't a remarkable game but apparently, it was enough to get my Third MoE

Grats on the 3rd mark. I should be unlocking the T20 in a day or two. Looking forward to it.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Coleslaw is great on pulled pork sandwiches. That's, like, standard practice. It's delicious. But if you want the best version of the sandwich, you need to be sure to use the vinegar-based eastern north carolina sauce, not that tomato-based crap.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Uranium 235 posted:

No, no. Carolina BBQ is not good.

Also, cole slaw on pulled pork sammiches is not good.

drat yankee's don't know what you're talking about. Also, I'm not actually from the south.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Saint Celestine posted:

Out of all the trees, and out of all the tanks...

You put your female crew in a Lorraine?

I'm hoping that means he's ultimately putting it in the Batchat, not keeping it in the Lorraine.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Haquer posted:

So more TOGs? :v:

Dude, TOGs are the best tanks in the game :colbert:

...when they're on the other team.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Those aren't the same as the numbers listed by the official wargaming release.

Here: http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/19/armot-change-public-test/

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 18, 2015

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

rossmum posted:

It did. It was literally a better PzIII.

And the PzIII is a really good tank, so that's saying something.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Control Volume posted:

drat, the amx cdc was not a good tank to impulse buy after not playing this game forever. all the maps are changed and my playstyle when i quit was bullying people with armor or dpm and neither of these things are good for playing that tank!

It's a great tank, but it has no armor so you can't get shot. Play some heavies for a while and then come back to it.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Control Volume posted:

playing heavies is what got me into these bad habits to begin with!

Oh yeah, you're right that playing heavies won't make you better at the CDC. I actually just returned after a really long break and I was poo poo at not getting shot for the first couple hundred games and did better in heavies as a result. If you're getting back into the flow of things faster than that, then just play the CDC more.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

JohnGalt posted:

Haha, so I decided to grind my way to the T54 lightweight. Holy poo poo is the mt25 fun and good at exposing wn8 flaws.

What load out and gun are you using on it? I'm just about to unlock it.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Hellsau posted:

I want to get into a clan that does a lot of strongholds because strongholds are actually fun and rewarding.

I'm looking for this too. Strongholds are fun and great for credits. How are PBKAC and AWFUL doing these days?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

RanKizama posted:

I'm finally about to unlock that thing. Is it average overall or does it have some particularly good thing that it's good at?

It's a bizarre tank. It has no alpha with weak/average dpm. It has good accuracy and amazing pen (its standard round is basically a gold round in tier). So you would think it needs to play the role of a DPM sniper. But, its camo value is poo poo. It does have ~200 extra HP relative to other mediums in tier, but no armor (excepting the front of the turret). Needless to say I'm not a big fan of it.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
In my search for a decent clan that is active in strongholds (with reasonable requirements for joining) I have come across FOXEY. Since I know nothing about them, does anyone have any feedback on them or their members? Are they insufferable pubbies like the furry/anime clans?

What about -W-W-? I saw Rothmog joined them and they seem to have reasonably active strongholds.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

M.C. McMic posted:

What the gently caress is warpack/warpacking?

warpack.net

It's just a collection of mostly lovely 'illegal' mods. Only a couple would be very useful and all of them are only cheats in the sense that they give you access to more/better information than you'd normally have. None of them can make you auto pen all tanks or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Still looking for a stronghold clan that accepts people at ~2200 recent.