Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Chillyrabbit posted:

I just read through the OP and noticed that you need a tier 8 artillery for CW, even though I guess you have just been copypasting the same thing each time.
Also the section about gold says you can use gold to buy premium ammo, with no mention that you can also buy it for credits now.

Oh and as for the thread title, Ensign, I think a more commonly used translation of that phrase would be "Through hardships to the stars". Might get the joke across better if you used that form. :v:
I wonder what the Latin word for "stats" is...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

McGavin posted:

Through hardship, the stats.
Votíng for this. It's succinct and fitting.

Ensign Expendable posted:

How are the new British tanks? Any keepers? I kind of want a Firefly.
The Firefly is pretty neat and worth getting imo.
The Archer seems like a pretty good TD if you can work around the gimmick. Great gun for tier 5 with great horizontal traverse, decent depression and afaik at least decent camo.
Challenger and Charioteer are both pretty fun, they're pretty fast and kinda hybrids between mediums and usual turreted TDs. Having the L7 on a mobile turreted vehicle at tier 8 is pretty sick, even if the soft stats are a bit poo poo.
The Conway doesn't have the top speed, but it's really agile for the preposterous DPM (~3k) it does.

Low tiers are nothing to write home about, and whichever branch you want to take you have a terrible tier 4 to get through (Grant or Valentine).

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

rockopete posted:

How is the Achilles?
It's... a tier 6 Wolverine with a 17-pdr. Has a slightly better engine though. I guess it's not exactly bad, just unremarkable. This is just from a few battles on the test server though, so if anyone has more experience on it, feel free to correct me.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
You know, this grind through the Valentine and Grant would be a lot less painful if 75% of the battles weren't tier 6.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
It's "ad", not "as".

:spergin:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Not the worst, it's just plain bad. At least the 2-pdr with prem ammo can put out some damage. It's decidedly superior to the AMX-40, at least.

EDIT: Having said that, I just discovered that 729 base XP is enough for Ace Tanker in the Valentine. :v:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 24, 2014

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

rockopete posted:

Also don't worry if your reload timer sometimes stops working--well, do worry, but all crosshair mods seem to be having issues with this.
Considering this and the additional crosshair options added into the vanilla game a few patches ago, I don't get why anyone even bothers with crosshair mods anymore. :shrug:
Well, unless they're the kind of player who prefers the crazy flashy MLG crosshairs instead of a nice clear minimalistic one.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Okay, now that I have several battles with it under my belt, I think I'm in love with the Archer.

The bass-ackwards movement isn't really that much of a hassle to work around (actually I think it's kinda fun somehow), and once I get into position the 17-pdr is pretty murderous. The base view range is adequate and thanks to the generous gun arc my binocs will stay active a lot.
You might think "Well yeah but the S35 CA has even more firepower and a huge gun arc". This is true, but the Archer has (I assume) much better camo, is a much smaller target, and can scoot backwards into cover in a heartbeat when it's spotted. The reverse speed really has saved my rear end a few times already.
This thing is definitely a keeper for me.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dvsilverwing posted:

A quick Googling reveals it to be lyrics from weird commie metal. Except they're American.
Actually, Accept are German.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Just a little tip for anyone who might be struggling with the Archer's silly movement gimmick:

The thing will gladly break its "forward" speed limit and putter along at a good 30 kph for quite a long ways if you just start on even a slight downward slope. So you don't always have to do a 180 to travel somewhere.

EDIT: Too heavy :negative:

10 more seconds and I could've made it back in time to reset their cap. Thought they'd have turned back to defend their cap, but nope. Made a mistake not just waiting for them in the corner.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 7, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

:shrug:

For reference, that's just out of the NE spawn in Windstorm, so it's really not even steep at all.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, it spazzes out at 30, but it still increases smoothly until that. And I'd like to think that after 22k battles I can feel the difference between 20 and 30 kmph.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 7, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Desuwa posted:

Actually one of the annoyances I have with the stock reticle is how asymmetric and complicated it is. I normally ended up using Anfield's version of jimbo's crosshair, which was a good balance between being simple, having a clean appearance, and not actually getting in the way of aiming. Notably jimbo's itself has a problem where the centre markers are all pretty thick, obscuring whatever I'm aiming at too much for me.
You might want to take a look at some of the crosshair options they've added to the vanilla game in more recent times, they're really stripped down.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well, at least you acknowledge your terribility (yes it's a word now shut up). That's a good start.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Axetrain posted:

This wotlabs article has a low opinion of it and even claims the 704 is better in absolute terms not just at tier.
Yeah no, that's horseshit, the 268 is fine. The massive leap in mobility alone makes up for any downsides compared to the 704.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

unlimited shrimp posted:

Is the T29 still a good tank for pubstomping in Tier 7?

Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE5JCwSKCoI

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
On another note, I installed a gun sound mod included in Aslain's pack that replaces the firing sounds with ones ripped from War Thunder tanks. It's pretty good, I think I'll be using it for the time being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ85XvJXf1E

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Refried Noodle posted:

My life is complete with a sound mod where someone just goes brrrrm pew boom.
All you need for that is a microphone, man. Actually making a voice mod is piss-easy once you have the sound files at hand.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So who said slow tanks can't carry? Because the AT 2 didn't get that memo:

Totally ridiculous battle. Was heading into the town, then saw almost half the enemy team were quite effortlessly plowing through our meager defenders in the valley. Turned around and got back just in time to plug the gap. Fortunately pubbies happened and I won the ensuing 1v6 face punching match.
After that slugfest, and teaching a T67 that no, the AT 2 doesn't turn quite that slowly, I got into a very silly stalemate with the last enemy.

You can experience the hair-raising suspense through this replay file:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

McGavin posted:

- Aufklärungspanzer Panther will be completely removed, not made premium.

Goodnight sweet prince.
Of course this has to be AFTER I suffered through the loving thing.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Ugghh, the Achilles' upgrade tree.

Sure, I had the top gun researached from before. But to mount it, I need the better turret, and to research the better turret I need to research a completely superfluous, strictly inferior gun that's proprietary to the tank.

I just.... why? :psyduck:

EDIT: The tank's a helluva lot quicker than I remember from the test server, though. It's more maneuverable than the Hellcat now, at least.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 21, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dalael posted:

Are you sure about that? I am almost certaint i received capping points in some matches despite the match ending with all tanks destroyed. But i could be wrong.
He's talking about the personal mission that requires getting a win by base capture. If the last enemy tank is destroyed the game counts it as a win by extermination, even if the base was fully captured first.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I just completed the medium tank mission of "set an enemy on fire" in the Sherman III, with a blind shot after a fleeing E25, which hit him in the rear end, set him alight and killed him.

Of course, that was basically all I accomplished in that battle so I didn't meet the secondary objective of being in the top 5 by XP, and I'm having horrible OCD to complete every mission with honours before moving onto the next one. Ugghhh.

EDIT: Heh, nailed in the very next battle thanks to a helpful enemy KV-1 who kindly let me hammer the side of his rear end a few times. :toot:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 22, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

FTR posted:

Storm states that while the details have to be discussed with map makers, it is a general rule that maps with hills on their edges and with lowered center (“bowls”) do not play well
What, you're saying that maps where the middle area is a deathtrap that can be shot at from most everywhere are less fun? Well I never!

EDIT:

FTR posted:

Waffenträger E-100 will be replaced. Its replacement will not have an autoloader and it will be based on historical project (SS: yes, I know what it is and no, you won’t find it on the internet, it’s a new thing from archives)
Well this oughta be interesting to see.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 22, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

More napkin tanks :woop:
Considering that the WTE100 is pretty much just WG:s fabrication, a napkin tank will actually be an improvement in that regard.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Artless Meat posted:

Pubbies seem to get really mad when you mention the Yamato never sank another ship.
World of Warships: Where the wehraboos are actually just weeaboos. The circle is closed.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I don't get the Tetrarch love. It has more pen than anything really needs at that tier, and it pays for that with pretty poo poo fire rate and the soft stats aren't that great either. It's as blind as a bat and anything with an autocannon will shred it in two heartbeats. It's decently fast I guess, but the maneuverability is so-so.

I'm not saying it's a bad tank, mind you. It's just not that special either, imo.

Also the T7 CC is hilarious, don't sell it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

rossmum posted:

I think you guys are overthinking WoT a bit.
Can we make this the thread title? TIA.

Fat Jesus posted:

Snapshot works on things with no turrets? Isn't it for 'during turret rotation' but yeah that's WG.
It does, swiveling the gun around within its traverse arc counts as "turret rotation" for that purpose.

Anyways, to my surprise, I'm actually quite enjoying the Achilles. It's decently quick and the 17-pdr is just such a nice gun to use. The pretty much non-existant turret bloom is nice too. The garbage gun depression can be a bitch and a half, but I can live with it.

Not sure if it will quite be a keeper though, since it is kinda redundant with the Firefly.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 27, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Jesus loving christ you are such a loving crybaby.

EDIT: Also your OCD about the Churchill 3 is hilarious.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 27, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
There are actually some pretty cool pics there. Thanks! :)

I guess that's one way to make an armoured train.

I'd totally play an armoured train in WoT, that way I could just double tap R and roll forward while holding the LMB at enemies.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

GiantHurtBall posted:

Churchill III is mitchondrial DNA of tanks tho ! Even if you think you dont drive it ..its DNA is inside you...show some respect...whelp.
You misunderstand me. I love the Churchill III and have been one of the thread's resident Churchill III advocates for a long time. It's such a relaxing tank to drive because I can just machinegun fools and not give shits about anything.

What I meant was that for some reason torb seems to have a little apoplectic seizure every time the C III is talked about, and I find that really amusing.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

FTR posted:

- it was proposed internally within WG to add Oddball’s Sherman from the movie Kelly’s Heroes.
:psyboom:

As stupid as it would be, I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Poil posted:

Only if it actually plays music for the other tanks and if you can leave paint marks for no damage (no friendly fire penalty) for the whole battle.
That would no doubt make it even more appealing, but I'd be content if it just had the loudspeaker on the side and a 90mm piece of pipe as a gun barrel.

I mean, I'm not actually expecting them to go through with that, I assume it was just a random idea thrown around. But a man can dream.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The Firefly also has at least some modicum of gun depression. It's still not good, but it's downright pitiful on the Achilles for some inexplicable reason. But yeah, the Achilles is significantly faster. Personally, I can't decide which I like more, which is significantly slowing my progress towawrds the Challenger. :v:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
:shrug: I dunno, the difference has certainly felt like more than that in game.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 25, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So uh, the strongholds artillery strike thing seems to be quite something

:staredog:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Did you hit their base at the start of the match or something? Goddamn.
Oh, that's not from my clan's battle or anything, I just came across that .gif elsewhere. I don't know anything about it except that it looks loving scary.

That looks like the southern ramp up the hill in Mines though, maybe they were trying to rush up the hill and got caught with their pants down? Who knows, :pubbies:.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Atal Vataman posted:

cant see any incitement in there tbh. However, what did he expect to happen when he makes a post about "LOOK AT THIS GIRLS BOOBS" on a high traffic blog. Checked her stream when I initially posted the link, and her entire channel was overrun with pervs making penis jokes, while she was confused as to why she suddenly had so many new viewers. gently caress him
Yeah, I don't see any incitement either, but what I do see is him going "Hey look, that girl has big breasts, she's TOTALLY just using them to get more viewers!" which is just horseshit.

As for the whole Conchita Wurst thing, here's a few screenshots for handy reference:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Agrajag posted:

Anyone else have access to the Armored Warfare forums?
Not me for a couple days yet, no. I also ate a 3 day ban for "insults and trolling".
Yeah, God forbid trying to express some concern over giving moderating rights to a guy whose opinion boils down to "Freedom of speech is good unless it applies to someone I personally find unpleasant". :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
:siren: HILARITY ALERT :siren:

For "Testing the physics in extreme conditions", they've turned the T1 Cunningham into a super rocket sled that goes 90 kmph with insane acceleration and has thousands of hitpoints. It's absolutely loving hysterical. Like, I smashed into some guy's front from the side and left him spinning like in a drat Warner Bros cartoon.

What I'm sayin here is :getin: