Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Subyng posted:

It's more forward than centre, plus the engine deck is heavily sloped and it is 60mm all around the hull.

The engine deck is actually pretty drat weak. I once got circled by a Pz I C and ignored it thinking my stupid hull armour would protect me. I actually got penned a bunch of times and every one was through the engine deck from behind.

Valentine's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

thylacine posted:

Is the Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. H just bad or am I just bad.

One weird tip to make it die less. I'm always at the bottom third of the pile when I play it.

Is it fully upgraded?

It's a generic medium with no particular strong point, like the M4. Stay away from the frontlines where an IS can come and bloop you for 400 damage.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

thylacine posted:

Yeah-except the top gun is a turd that I've never penned anything with so I use the longer one.

What, the 105? Don't use it, the HEAT got nerfed. If you were using AP, shame on you.

The Pz IV plays like any other medium, you have to skirt around the edges of the battle in the early-game, and can be more aggressive later on. Early mediums are actually pretty hard to play because of hp limits, so just get your practice, and failure, in at tier 5.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

falen55 posted:

I'm working toward the SU-122-54 but the grind through the SU-101 is just.so.terrible :saddowns:

I'm not a huge fan of TDs to begin with but holy poo poo is this thing a turd. The only redeeming quality is the gun with its amazing ROF, which you can barely ever get on target as both gun depression and traverse are almost non-existant.

The 101 is nigh-useless on some maps (Hidden Valley is awful), but it's absurdly mobile and teaches you a lot about terrain.

As in, you will never find bad terrain to be a problem on other tanks after dealing with it in the 101. 2 degrees of gun depression is awful, but you have very good camo and a small profile to help you escape after getting some shots off.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Uhh, did something change with arty in 9.5?

Because arty seems to be a bigger issue.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Infected posted:

SS advertised the Battle Assistant mod, so now everyone who plays arty runs it. It helps all the pubs who don't get firing arcs, so you get what looks like a general increase in accuracy with artillery.

Okay, I was wondering why I seemed to be getting mega-hosed in innocuous places. Remove arty from game.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Rossmums argument is basically saying that the E4 is hosed if someone gets behind in contrast to other tier10 TDs like the E3.

Have I misread something here?

The E4 loads slow and doesn't a great lot going for it besides having a turret which happens to one of the best things a TD can have. So you can work around its limitations.

NTRabbit posted:

As I understand it nobody wants to bring the FV215b(183) or W-100 to anything clannish either, but they still both boss the gently caress out of pub matches on account of being able to utterly annihilate every tier 8 and 9 in the game with only a 5% chance of a single effective retaliation shot, and are still readily capable of loving up the not so great tier 10s, and the better tier 10s driven by not so great players.

Waffles and FVs can ruin a single tank if they blunder into them without support, but that's where it usually ends. The FV is like Maus speed now and has a gunner with epilepsy. The WT is almost impossible to miss and everybody and their mother is going to focus it if it's spotted. With all the BA arty around they don't have very long in the open.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

AlmightyPants posted:

I saw my first Foch155 in a stronghold the other night in months. Not exaggerating either. I don't think I saw a single one during my Japanese tree grind. Even tier 9 Fochs are rare as gently caress. It got hit very hard by nerfs. I have mine unlocked but never bought it between nerfs and people in clan wars sending 1 of their 3 shots into the dirt without fail because the gun on that thing is not accurate in any sense of the word.

The Foch has catastrophic side armour that gets overmatched by 100mm guns.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

unlimited shrimp posted:

How do I rehabilitate my stats if I spent years loving around drunk in pub matches but now want to play with goons?

Uhhhhhhhh I think you'll find that most people don't have very high standards for platoonmates.

Depending on how many games you have, your stats may never go up. That's okay, it means that arty will never focus you.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Oh, we haven't had an arty discussion/whine for the last 10 pages, so I guess it is that time of the month again.

Battle assistant is great for 2 reasons.
1: It is a graphically nicer interface for arty than the top down one.
2: It is easier to see what you can hit or not, which makes trick shots harder.

Besides that, arty is the same i.e. highly irregular and you can't carry for poo poo. You are still stuck with 30-40s reloads with horrible accuracy and where actually hitting something is down to RNGesus.
Arty is even more frustrating to play with a bad team than light tanks.

Interestingly, I have a harder time to judging tank speeds with Battle Assistant compared to the top down view.

Or, you get one-shot because bad players are now able to angle fire into depressions at close range when previously only actual arty players could do that.

I have been one-shot 5 times since BA came out, which is literally an infinite amount of times more than I was before.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Cardiac posted:

So now we know why experienced arty players don't like BA so much. They can no longer be that special snowflake that everyone hates.

Otherwise I agree, brought out my T92 after I installed BA and it was actually enjoyable to play for once. I am grinding through the SU-14-2 at the moment, and it is more enjoyable than I thought much thanks to BA. Now if only my teams of shitters were better, but that is what you get for not platooning.
So to sum it up, BA is great since it makes artillery more fun to play and everyone should just :dealwithit: since arty is not going away.

Ugh, quit being so proud of being poo poo at arty scrub.

rockopete posted:

The only downsides I've found with using Battle Assistant--apart from it being useless for high arc pieces like the Bishop and FV304--are that it encourages tunnel vision and adds an extra step when targeting. Moving the camera in BA's perspective view can be clunky, especially if you're aiming over large obstacles like hills as the camera will jump back and forth to maintain a constant distance from the impact point. Hence it makes sense to switch to the top down view when shifting targets by more than 20-30 meters, then switch back to the BA view for precision work. All of which increases the time spent on targeting. This isn't a huge issue for limited traverse arty, where the track bloom gives you plenty of time to mess around with views, but it can prevent you from taking full advantage of the time/bloom savings in wide traverse pieces like the GW Panther.

Unrelated: I did ~2200 damage in my GW Panther last night for an arty mission that needed 2000 damage, but the mission didn't complete. Is damage via spotter halved for the purposes of these missions? Didn't see any mention of it in the briefing.

It might be one of the bugged missions with incorrect descriptions. I think you need to kill 2 heavies instead.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
For AP vs. HE hits, every ship has a hitbox where all shells that penetrate will do more damage. They correspond to stuff like ammo stores or engines or whatever. Most ships stack a ton of armour on these hitboxes so you need AP to penetrate the armor for full damage.

The armour is usually in the shape of a rectangular box, so angles do matter. You can orient your ship in just like in tanks to increase your effective thickness. Range matters as well, because long-range shells tend to plunge downwards, close-range shots go straight, and mid-range shells hit the armoured box at some angle.

Most importantly, your shells need to actually strike the hitbox to do damage. If you shoot AP at the front of a carrier, you're hitting nothing and you'll do piddly damage. I know the Langley has an engine hitbox at the bottom stern, but I don't know about the other ones. Destroyers are so small that you can't expect to actually hit them where it matters, until they're well within torpedo distance. HE just has a narrower range of possible damage, but if you have very large or a lot of guns, it quickly adds up.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Subyng posted:

How do you aircraft carrier? Played my first game with the Langley and accomplished nothing.

Different planes have different stats and obsolete fighters get totally shredded by newer ones. Be very wary if you see a higher tier carrier, you have to avoid his fighter squadrons and hope they're a dumbass with their bombers (They are often dumbasses).

You launch your planes and control them as if you were switching ammunition types. You zoom and click around like an RTS and your planes tool around. You probably know this.

It's better to manage your bombers and make sure you get a good angle of attack on a ship.

Dive bombers do best when against light ships and straight down the bow or stern.

Torpedo bombers should work together to create inescapable spreads. Sending squadrons in from different locations on a single target will create different spread patterns. Alternatively, use alt-clickmaking sure the squadron starts outside the dotted circle, to manually set up runs.

AA fire will mess up your planes accuracy if they aren't already on an attack run.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Dalael posted:

Considering it sunk a battlecruiser in under 8 minutes, damaged another one badly enough that it had to withdraw, took a few torpedoes and still managed to sail away... only to be scuttled by its crew after a 10 hour battle in which it was badly outnumbered and reduced to shambles... I think Bismark did okay.

The Hood was a poorly armoured ship that looked nice and also got pretty unlucky. Within the Admiralty, Hood was basically considered obsolete. The battle at Denmark Strait was heavily mismanaged by the British, there wasn't a point when the Bismarck did anything that another battleship, or the Prinz Eugen, couldn't.

All military equipment is a tool for some purpose. Bismarck and Tirpitz were bloated and hideously expensive with their 4/5 year construction times, yet were unremarkable at best in their capabilities. They had major weaknesses that were unique to the Germans.

Their armour scheme wasn't much better than the Hood's, with poor deck armour and a weak stern. They had strong inner citadels and weak outer armour, which was effective at keeping the ship afloat but resulted in major internal damage when penetrating shells ricocheted off the citadel armour. Bismarck probably did take 400 shells, but those shells did more to destroy her internals than another ship. If the RN had let her retreat to Brest, Bismarck would have been in repairs for the rest of the war, or maybe just scrapped at the harbour.

The AA complement on the class was weak. The 10.5cm flak cannons did their job, but were slightly under-sized compared to other nation's guns. The 3.7cm guns were atrocious. They were comparable to the 40mm Bofors, except they shot 3 times slower. Also, the separation of anti-ship and anti-air secondary armament was passe and made fire control a mess.

What is it with Wehraboos and a fetishization for failure? The ship was scuttled as a gently caress-you gesture long after it lost the capability to effectively shoot back.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Strobe posted:

So, a post for all you wanna be fighter carrier players out there. A few tips that will generally help you tip the air battle in your favor.

1) Achieve local superiority. This is actually probably the unconscious driving force that most pubs follow instinctively in tanks and botes. Basically it means have more planes in the air than your opponent in one place, and use them to crush his air wing without losing many planes or expending all your ammo. Even if you have better planes than your opponent, always try to make fighter dogfights into 2:1 affairs where you have double the number of planes engaging. They will die very quickly, and you might even win a dogfight against superior planes if you're lower tier.

You will not win a dogfight against superior planes unless it's Ranger vs. Lexington. Leaderoforcs clowned 3 Langleys with two fighter squadrons from the Independence.

Edit: You are leaderoforcs

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Auto aim works for certain tanks with good OTM accuracy like the M46, M48, T-44, M41 and Awfulpanther when you do popout shoots i.e. auto-aim, pop-out, shoot when reticle turns green, pop back in. In many cases people don't fire directly cause they are waiting for the aim to go in and you can get free shots this way. It obviously doesn't work when someone is already preaimed at you.
My eye-to-hand coordination is pretty bad so I also use auto aim to fire while moving and for long-distance random shots at spotted tanks, but that is more what works for me.

Don't use auto-aim to peek and poke, Murphy's law says that it'll home in on Pershing turrets and T57 hulls, and you'll get ludicrous bounces. Peek and poke is honestly pretty bad unless you know exactly how much of a reload advantage you have.

Cardiac posted:

I am currently going through the IS-8 and have really started to enjoy it, but that took some time. The IS-8 is pretty awkward to play since you have no depression, no armour, a great gun but with bad handling. I basically play it like a peek-a-boomer and flanker, since it is pretty good in those situations where you just poke out, fire and get back. In order to do well in the IS-8 you have to play aggressively but in the right way and that is hard if you are not used to higher tiers. There are some IS-8 replays in my Youtube-channel that shows it pretty well. Murdering tier10 Russian mediums is rapidly becoming a hobby in my IS-8.

Are they just bad players, because how are T-62s dying to IS-8s now?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Missing Name posted:

I'm training my ARL V39 crew :colbert:

I am also a complete loving moron.

Goddammit people why do you keep doing this?

unlimited shrimp posted:

I just blocked 4700dmg with my Super Pershing.

Have pubbies forgot how to kill the thing?

They never knew how to, pubbie Super Pershings are just super bad.

I've seen a Super Pershing reverse-sidescraping.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Having seen gameplay of Kancolle I think I will compare it to an idling game that rewards you with anime girls.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Actually it didn't even specify whether it was a full turret, demi turret or fixed, just called it a "Waffentraegar Panther with a long 150mm gun"

Still won't be more broken than the W-100.

I think the only reason they are removing the WT-100 is that the upcoming TD view range nerf will make it so blind and visible that you might as well be driving a party bus.

Not looking forward to Tier 10 Rhoomba though.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Here's a game where I got shot by a friendly waffle who's trying to poach kills, and then exploded from something else (shh, I play pretty bad)

After I die, I switch to see what the WT Panzer is doing, and he is trying to shoot a T-54L at point-blank and misses around 7 times before getting killed.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1589646#northwest-slim_jim_pickens-e_50

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
What's a good book to stop somebody from believing in the Krupp Steel mythos? I have an acquaintance who was arguing about German/Soviet K/D ratios and I want to shoot myself.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Isn't it supposed to have an autobouncing turret, unlike the leopard?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Cippalippus posted:

Anime is for children

How are 80mm able to bounce, like, anything? And it has 8 degrees of depression, less than the STB and Leopard. I don't know man, it doesn't look that good.

It's got a crazy slope on the top turret armour, so if you're using the gun depression it'll autobounce. The mantlet is thicker than the Leopards by a long shot. 80mm is also enough that most TD and tank guns won't overmatch it.

I've never played an STB, but I don't like how a Leopard doesn't bounce anything at all.

Edit: Welp

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

rockopete posted:

Shutting up about anime, sorry for the derail.

I haven't seen or heard any official word recently. You make good points, I have a hard time seeing how it can be balanced/made fun for all without fundamental changes. Maybe cap it at two per game, or drop the top two tiers and make tier 8 battle tier 10? Like it used to be except retaining the nerf and current alpha. Or maybe add setup and teardown times? That would have the added bonus of actually using the metal anchor/stakes present on so many of the models.

Okay. Do you have a link to to the roster? I'll have to miss Wednesday and maybe Friday so at least one reservist will definitely get to play. Join up for free gold, people, you don't need skill, just a tier 5 and the ability to listen!

I can play on Wednesday and Friday to make up for this anime hater.

Missing Name posted:

gently caress, I can't find Hellsau's loving premium tank ratings thing again. What's the consensus on the Matilda IV (aka Матильда)?

Same matchmaking as the Matilda except you'll never be top tier and clown tier 2s. Kinda lame. Most tier 5s don't care about your armour.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Hahahahaha.

One of the best things about playing WOWS on the NA server was getting away from the illiterate shitheads who play from a dumpster in Moldova.

It sounds like that guy is from an Italian dumpster but then again most of Italy might as well be Libya

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NotWearingPants posted:

If he was Italian, he probably would have at least spelled "ciao" correctly ;)

Uhhh I don't think you understand the internet

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

202 pen that leads to the 140. The heat isn't what it was but is still potent and if you know what you are doing the silver round is workable.

Honestly speaking, the pen isn't enough to make up for the damage output you lose for shooting slower or missing more. At tier 9 there's no functional difference between 202 and 219. You want to be shooting things in the flank or the butt anyways.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I suck at WoT, but I really need to make credits, but i'm in a situation where I seem to lose credits every match. What tanks and/or tier do I want to do in order to make credits if I am a super scrub?

Deal damage to earn credits

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
:toot::rock::siren: Hey anybody can make tournament teams so I made a bunch. :siren::rock::toot:

http://worldoftanks.com/uc/teams/121493-Big_Boy_Brigade/
For Big Boys

Wednesday-only, three tier VIIIs and one V on Mittenberg, which'll be a hoot at least. I have zero tank ideas for this. Needs 6 players to a team, so sign up if you wanted to join this weeks tourny.

http://worldoftanks.com/uc/teams/121496-RL_Valkyries/
For Big Ladies

It's a Skirmish! Runs from the 16-22 but most of that is only if you make the finals. Being slightly above average nets you 500 gold so no sweat.
Mittenberg again, 5 tanks, tier 8 max heavies only with 38 points. Again, no clue. 5 players and 3 reserves.

http://worldoftanks.com/uc/teams/121498-I_didn_t_want_to_be_here/
For those who don't want to be here.

Weird Brit TD promotion tournament. 7 tanks, tier VII max, 46 points and a mandatory British TD. Getting 7 players is probably the hard part.

Passwords the usual.
I say that all the idiots who were on IC's team just sign up for the Wednesday one because it's basically the same (But on a nutty map). Else you should all sign up for gold I guess. Average tournament is bad, earn money.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

http://worldoftanks.com/uc/teams/121493-Big_Boy_Brigade/
For Big Boys

Wednesday-only, three tier VIIIs and one V on Mittenberg, which'll be a hoot at least. I have zero tank ideas for this. Needs 6 players to a team, so sign up if you wanted to join this weeks tourny.

Passwords the usual.

This team can fit one more player! It's running tomorrow! It's Mittenberg with tier 8s!

Join up if you want to pretend to be social! It's 7:30 PM EST.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Tournament team get online.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Sturer is so slow and fat that it isn't fun to play. The reason why the Nashorn and Rhoomba are good is because they're fast. I'm pretty sure only the Rhoomba has good camo too.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Prav posted:

I enjoy watching all that tanks that go out and actually do things.

Russian server is pretty fun just for that. Those rushing tanks don't actually do much damage, but at least they're trying.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Some of these campaign missions are really screwing with me. I can't complete them and I can't figure out why not. LT-5: "Spot an enemy vehicle and assist your allies in destroying it."

Okay. Did that. In a T71, so it meets the Tier IV requirement. Spotted an enemy, "Requesting fire at"'d it, I damaged the vehicle, my allies killed it. I still didn't get mission credit. What am I missing?

Are you sure you were the only/first to spot it?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Plugging the tournament again to keep you all reminded

http://worldoftanks.com/uc/teams/121496-RL_Valkyries/

This team can fit one more player and I'm going to submit it in about 2 hours time. Join if you have any heavy tank tier VIII or below. Match times are 7:00 PST/10:00 EST, all next week.

I will remind you that this is on Mittengard, a stupidly nutty map, and it's basically free gold.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

If your okay with me maybe not showing up monday and wednesday I'm in.

EDIT: Signed up which TS, the goon one?

I am silently doubting everybody's attendance, feel free to join in. We're using goon ts.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

rockopete posted:

Does anyone know how to keep crashing to a minimum? I'm worried that it's going to mess up some of our tournament matches tonight, cause I'm crashing like every third game. Any mods or settings that are known to increase crashing?

Also this would have been a perfect reason to release the patch, WG, if the 'crash fixes' actually work.

Unity running in my browser crashes my game. Otherwise, delete your most recent mods.

Speaking of,
:siren:RL VALKYRIES GET ONLINE WITHIN AN HOUR PLEASE:siren:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

buzzsaw.gif posted:

"The most stressful thing about playing in Goon teams is that everyone only shows up 5 minutes before the battle starts."

-Commemorating the success of Skirmish 7 team

:siren:RL VALKYRIE:siren:

Magres and Ackbarre, please show up tomorrow, we are short on people.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Animal posted:

I have Paul's login so I'll be there tomorrow. What tank of his am I supposed to use? I'll need to practice

Paul was in a T29 or an IS-6, hopefully you can figure out how to play two OP tanks properly.

The real secret is that you listen to the caller and only shoot gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

buzzsaw.gif posted:

http://worldoftanks.com/uc/tournaments/1120-Skirmish_7/single_eliminations/527392-Bravo_Playoff_2/?draw=1

Something tells me that nobody realizes that this is tonight and we will not be fielding a team. c/d?

I am here.