Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
WoT client seems to crash when I actually do well in a match. The "not destroyed" database entry must be so shocking to it that the entire thing shits the bed. Figures the only time I really want to look at a detailed stat sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I'm bad at light tanks, but I do enjoy them. I notice most of the high level game play with them is sitting in the middle to back of the map waiting until the end when they can clean up a bunch of 10% heavies and unprotected arties. Walker Bulldogs seem to be the king of this tactic.

Maybe that is how they should be played? I don't really know. I just do stupid poo poo in them. Every now and again it works out and I have a blast.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I think I'm going to stop grinding the 13-75. I know people say the 13-90 is worth it, but I'm just getting obliterated in tier x matches all the time in this. The only strategy I haven't tried in it is just pressing r about 4 times and alt tabbing to youtube. I did that through one french tank, I may have to do it in another.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
That's one reason I like the WZ-132. The gun can actually penetrate most tanks with AP except for the front slabs of most Tier X's. After the last update, the gun was buffed and I can hit things on the move fairly easily. My initial feel is that it's been much improved.

I am not a fan of the 13-75 gun/aiming while moving, and from reading above it seems I should put getting the 13-90 on the back burner as it sounds like more of the same.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Teron D Amun posted:

you should maybe take the weekend off, the amount of absolut retarded morons coming out of the woodworks for these kind of events is amazing

But... it may be one of the few times I'll find people worse than me at tonks. Which makes me feel a whole lot better.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
The only time I can pull off those shots is when it would have absolutely no effect on the outcome of the game or whether my tank explodes or not. The worst offender I have is the 13-75, I'm pretty sure the gunner think he's in an arty.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Blindeye posted:

Any fun recommendations for a light tank line to dick around in? I wouldn't mind switching back and forth if I get knocked out of battles on my russian heavy line.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Which of the two US light trees is the better, or are they much of a muchness?

The Chaffee->T37->Bulldog line of American lights is better. The T71 is good, but the bulldog is better and you don't have to drive the T21 to get to it.

I would avoid the French lights unless you really really want an ELC or 13-90. I would suggest the ELC for maximum fun in a light tank, but only if you can free exp past the AMX 40.

As stated, the Chinese lights are fun but most find the 59-16 and WZ-131 the top of the line. I like the 132 but it gets owned by every other T7 and T8 light tank, I have to drive it like a medium to be successful.

I don't have any experience driving the German or Russian lights. I can tell you that I hate fighting against LTTBs and RU-251s in my lights. They seem really good.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 21, 2015

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

BadLlama posted:

So compared to all the other tier 8 lights what is the WZ-132's thing? It seems pretty much worse in everything except for the really really amazing track traverse. I guess you are supposed to circle KV-4's and T34s to death?

I don't have any any T8 light tanks to compare it to, but I really enjoy the WZ-132... right up until the point I see another tier 7-8 light tank coming at me. I tend to think of it as a fast medium with no armor. I do better when I can engage at range as the top gun on the tank has a bit of extra pen and alpha. I can surprise some heavies that think I can't pen them. Shoot and scoot works really well, but if I have to get into a DPS race with another light that decides to get close then I'll lose pretty much every time unless they were severely damaged prior to finding me.

E: So in conclusion, it is the worst t8 light. I just happen to do well in it.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Reason posted:

How does matchmaking work? My highest tier tank is a tier 3 and I keep getting matched against tanks that my guns won't penetrate. I'm bad at this game, but that doesn't seem to happen when I play my tier 2 and tier 1 tanks

Generally like this: When you are grinding the stock tank you put into a bunch of situations where you're a top tank, but you have the stock gun that is two tiers lower than the tanks you are facing and everybody on your team is constantly wondering why you suck so much. As soon as you get enough XP for the top gun and turret, you will be thrown into matches two tiers ahead. Your armor can't bounce anything and your gun still can't pen anything and your teammates will wonder why you suck so much. Every now and again after you are fully upgraded you will have some situations where you are the top tank again, but don't get excited. These matches always end with getting blasted by artillery or getting ammo racked by the first round that penetrates your tracks and your teammates will wonder why you suck so much.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 6, 2015

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Desuwa posted:

Barring explicitly working against your team you'll have a 43% WR baseline.

I had 130+ games in the AMX 1375 at a 41% WR. I honestly wasn't shooting teammates or afk'ing or anything really dumb (I don't think). Teams just seemed to die around me. I wasn't sure what I was doing as I know RNG isn't that cruel and really should have been near 48% even if I just suicide scouted every match. I finally realized that the mere act of hitting battle was putting my teams at a disadvantage and free exp'd the remaining 40k exp to the 1390.

On a unrelated note, the Crom B is fantastic. It may not get pref mm, but it can carry when it's a high tier and scout when it's low. After I figured out how to drive it I don't think I've had a bad match.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Missing Name posted:

Heyyyy, the not-Tiger does pretty well if you left click tanks. Unfortunately, it's the players who try to play it like a loving TD. Also, don't use the 88.

My only tank with a Radley-Walters.

The VK3601 was my favorite medium tank and won a lot of games with it. I haven't played it much since they made it a heavy. The few times I have weren't as fun as I remember it being.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Haquer posted:

They can't lift autobans manually???

What

They have an automated process for that.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

CitizenKain posted:

The T49 is pretty much bullshit incarante with its gun. The amount of poo poo I've seen one pull is beyond compare.

T49 has joined the (I)SU-152 in the tanks that make me instantly start praying for RNG jebus to save me when one decloaks with it's barrel pointed right at me.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Zephyrine posted:

Is the AMX40 immune to shells or what? I was sitting behind one in a medium tank just unleashing all I had and he just turned his turret around and ignored me.

To be fair, if he was in an AMX40 he as either tabbed out (after hitting R 3 times), blind drunk or pleading helplessly at his screen for you to end his suffering. So don't feel bad that he ignored you.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Chaosprime posted:

I'm finally sorta getting the hang of the WZ-120, as much as it still confuses me. Was wondering if the top engine is worth researching. It gives 20hp more (600 vs 580), same chance of fire (12%) and same weight (750kg). Seems like a large investment for a tiny gain.

I was wondering the same thing. I decided to put off the engines until after I get the top gun because it moves pretty well with just the stock engine and upgraded tracks. There didn't seem to be a huge difference between the stock engine and the top one.

As far as getting the hang of it, I'm still figuring it out. I am trying to drive it like the Type-59, but it's turret/hull doesn't seem as bouncy against same tier tanks. Maybe everybody is just better at aiming at it's weak points than they are a Type-59's. Plus, I do dumb things like drive out in the open in front of obvious choke points and am totally surprised when a TD decloaks and hits me for 800 damage.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Mephistopheles posted:

Hmm... I'm pooping right now!

Will get this for future deuces. Thanks.

Also, I really want to grind down that AMX light like and am half way through the elc but just can't get it to click. If I play it like a mobile light I just get 1 shot within the first minute. If I stay back and try to play it like a TD, I either get TKed by my team for "not scouting" or the awful pubbies just camp and we get rolled before I can put mor than 2 shots into anything.

Thoughts?

The proper way to drive the ELC is to run around your team's side of the map for the first 4 minutes never taking your finger off W. Score points for rad jumps and kick flips and poo poo (try not to inflict too much damage on yourself in the process). By the end of the match nobody will know what the hell you actually did and thus can't call you out for not doing anything. If you get a chance, in between turning small bumps into amazing evil kinevil type jumps, it would help to kill some arty.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
gently caress this stupid game. I just wanted 1 more win before I logged out and got some dinner... 1.5 hours later I was still looking for it. I am average (horrible) at tanks, and just started playing again recently but tanks disappear all around me in the few games when I'm not totally f'ing everything up. At least I have my Type 59 to look at and remember the good ol' days.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Ensign Expendable posted:

I also tried to do some shuffling with crews today and discovered that I had a fuckton of 100% no-skill crews from Domination overflowing my barracks. I almost considered buying extra bunks to keep them all, but I already have so many tanks I never play.

I had the same problem when I was just trying to move some guys from a premium tank back into original one. I ended up getting rid of most of them.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

ZombieLenin posted:

I feel like this a really loving weird question. What are opinions on the best light tank line to go down?

I've got tier 8 American Heavy/Mediums and a tier 6 French heavy; however, I don't really care about having poo poo pre unlocked if a better tree has better lights.

I've done the American, French and Chinese lines. I have an unhealthy love for the WZ-132, but if I had to suggest one the American tree was the best. The T-71 and Bulldogs are both worth playing, but the Bulldog is by far the most fun/broken/pre-nerfed.

E: ELC is fun, but is it worth grinding the AMX40? I don't know.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 19, 2015

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
First time I've ever been accused of being a warpack player. Apparently being in a Bulldog and right clicking then left clicking on tanks is an abuse of game mechanics. The irony is that I don't even have any mods installed because I play so intermittently and am so lazy that I can't be asked to re-download them (what feels like) every time I play.

No pictures, but I was just being a good little scout and staying alive long enough to be useful while poking my head up over some ridges now and again to spot reds. I saw the game slipping away then got an opportunity to knock out some wounded tanks pushing too hard too early, distracted others enough while arty and the TDs did their jobs, then killed an arty at the end. I ended up 4 kills, 2500 damage, 2400 spotting 1400 exp (no premium) and an Ace tanker badge on prokhorovka.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
The things I have learned thus far during this event: Play tier 6 or below else face half a team full of Tier Xs.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Anybody know what WG's policy on getting a refund on a premium tank you absolutely hate? I bought a CDC during the last sale, and I really do not enjoy being a huge tank that only makes the red tanks think "Oh, free experience!" I thought it would be mobile enough that it would be like driving a light tank, but WHO KNEW that a tank the size of a heavy with less armor than a light would be so easy to pen? I know some people really love the CDC, but they must be 1000% better than I.

Bottom line, I am dumb and want WG to bail me out. Does throwing myself on the mercy of their customer service help at all? I own a Type 59, that must count for something.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
So I wanted to know the magic that was the LTTB and T-54 ltwt. The closest I was to starting that tree was the T-34. I had it maxed out when I was trying to get the T-44 back in the day before giving up on Russian tonks I just bought a Type 59 instead. Last week I rebought the T-34, put a poo poo 75% crew in it put some spare modules on it and fired up some games with the sole purpose of grinding to the MT-25 and selling it.

Now, I remember thinking the T-34 was average at best and seriously thought everybody who said it was amazing was on crack... I am now on crack as well. I can actually carry in this tank, which is fantastic. Yesterday I had a 7 kill game for the first time in a long long time. It helps I'm playing against a bunch of lovely / newer people, but I don't care. I use the zis (zip) gun and out DPM everybody. I'm not selling it again, I even bought real modules and a paint job for it. I basically play it like a Cromwell B, rock back and forth ripping into to people every 2 seconds, and bounce shots that I feel like I shouldn't. Red tanks are usually down to less than 50% health before they know what is going on. A lot of people must use the gun with more pen/alpha because people rock out from behind cover just as I get another round in the chamber. When I get tired of being blown up repeatedly in my T7/8 light tanks, this is my new go to tank.

If I didn't play so badly with it before (2+ years ago), my win percent would probably be over 60% in it now.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
You did it WG. I played your game. I ground out the E-25. Then I, of course, had to buy some gold so I could spruce it up a bit. Well played.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
All this talk of the CDC makes me really sad that I am so horrible with it.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Missing Name posted:

The M4 is when the 105 stops being really useful, right? Or the Easy Eight?

Because I saw someone in a Pershing with it last night. He tried to circle a platoon of CDCs and died with 0 damage :psyduck:

That was my last match of the night. gently caress pubbies.

The 105 on the M4 is the preferred gun by every jerk that I happen to run across when I'm feeling pretty good in my T-34 or Bromwell and try to bully everybody. I think the short 105 mostly useless after that.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 18, 2015

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I am a believer in the snap shot meta now. It's only trained up to 56% on my e-25 but I just right click then left click while going forward and I hit way more than I should.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Duzzy Funlop posted:

... Even scored my first ram kill when an unfortunate 1375 zipped past a corner at full-speed without seeing me. :3:

Oh, he saw you. If he was anything like me, after about 10 matches in the 1375 I wanted to ram everything and exit games as soon as possible.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

RandomPauI posted:

I also pissed off a teammate in a battle right now because I didn't want to drive into a bunch of tier 9's and 10's. He kept calling me out on it so just to placate him I did, and then I died. Like I told him would happen. Is it okay to say "gently caress yeah I'm not charging solo or with your one-shotable tank. They can kill me, and I can't kill them."

A pubbie or person from your tank clan? Ignore all pubbies and lol at all their plans (and that's coming from a pubbie). Every now and again they have good ideas but mostly its stupid poo poo thought up in some wet dream sequence where they are the hero and can kill 15 tanks by themselves. So unless you agree with their stupid plan ignore it. And even then, if you agree with their stupid plan you may need to rethink your own stupid plans. I just turned off in game chat, tonk enjoy-ability went up 10 folds after that.

You may need play nice if they are in your clan. Maybe just don't join his/her team again in the future if they don't listen to reason.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

I wonder why they left off the Type 59 buffs.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I have been playing on and off over the last 6 months and I finally free xp'd my Tiger up to max yesterday and had a bit of fun. Now I have this odd feeling of actually wanting to play this game again. I think I need to play my CDC to squash that desire. I suck in the cdc despite it being "the best" as I am "the worst"

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

M.C. McMic posted:

Also, how does one even achieve a sub-40% win rate in ANY tank? Wouldn't you have to platoon with a couple other people and all three of you literally do nothing... like just sit there? Or maybe even actively shoot your teammates?

My experience in the CDC tells me it just means you have to hit the "Battle" button and try to help your team win to achieve the illustrious honor of a 35% win rate with a tank. Then stop playing it around 50 games because you aren't into hurting yourself as you thought you were.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
The Mutz is my new go-to tank. High pen gun on a mobile tank with just enough armor to bounce a few shots. I don't want to play any other tank ever again.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I got the Mutz and gold trained some crew for it. Had a lot of fun for about 200 games and accidentally completed the missions for the free crew members. Of course by the time I got all of them, the crew I bought originally were better in every way. Thanks wargaming? Oh well, I guess it's a free German medium crew with BIA if I ever decide to ... buy that Panther II. I don't know. I wish they would have just made them like the girl crew where you could choose which nationality and specialty.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

localloop posted:

First match in the AMX40 as I start the On Track - beginners luck/friendly MM, or is it not as horrible as I have heard?

http://imgur.com/eh7CcSr

No, it's bad but I have a good WR with it as well. I assume as the clock is counting down your team says "poo poo we got a AMX40" and actually try to win, while everybody on the other team make a promise to themselves that they will go out of their way to be the one that ends your miserable day because they remember how bad the tank was and just want to help.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, I just ramped off a slight ledge that was never a problem if you go perfectly straight because of the way you land. Except this time, I tilted to the left while in the air, landed at like a 45 degree angle, lost half my health, broke my ammo rack and radio and injured my driver. Then I heard the ammo rolling around in my tank.

9.14 owns.

So no more driving the ELC anymore.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I haven't played for awhile so I wanted to play a few games to see the game since the patch. I love the news sounds and saw some of the physics at work, pretty fun stuff.

I just wish I didn't forget everything I knew about tanks if I stop playing for a few weeks. I fell into the trap of wanting to feel like I wasn't completely worthless at this game before leaving. I did some terrible things. I decided to finally call it quits when I thought I could flank a tank, forgot where I was on the map, wandered into 3 red tanks which brought my full HP tank down to less than 200, set me on fire, then I drove it into a canal and exploded into a watery grave... at least that put out the fire. :rip:

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Just got the T49. Am I crazy if I might like the lower tier gun better than the doom cannon? Also, what modules should I have on this tank and what is the best crew skills (besides snap shot and six sense obviously)?

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If you're not lobbing HE out of huge guns and loudly going *boop* irl for every hit, what are you even doing with your life?

I don't know, missing tanks at nearly point blank is anti *boop* irl. Any input as to which mods work the best? I thought I read here that anything that actually helps accuracy makes the #snapshot meta not as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Infected posted:

Armor rebalance = every russian tank is now impenetrable from the front, not just russian heavy tanks.

Don't worry, wargaming will continue to release tanks with higher and higher pens after the fabled great armor rebalance of summer 2016. Of course the only tanks that will continue to get armor buffs to make up for it will be Russian tanks until the great armor rebalance of fall 2021.