Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Anyone have any tips for playing the Soviet T-28 beyond "don't" or "as little as possible on the way to the heavies"? I am just pathetically bad with it and can never figure out what to do. I've only played like 600 games so my general grasp of strategy and map awareness is just hilariously bad but it is hilariously bad x 10 with that thing. I'm almost through it to the KV-1 so my (and my teammates) suffering is nearly over, but I can't figure out what to do with it.

I think it's at least partially because I didn't want to spend any experience on the unessential guns but none of them seemed totally compelling over the stock one. Hindsight shows that as a mistake because it's a peashooter, but I'm still unconvinced that my experience would have been more enjoyable or quicker should I have changed that. I also don't think I take near enough advantage of the maneuverability/speed of the tank, which seems like it's only actual advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yeah, that all seems very true. I found this wot forum thread that echoes those sentiments: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/268744-help-how-to-play-t-28/#topmost

I might keep it around after I'm on to the KV-1 to try and play it differently with the 57mm ZIS-4. Looks like I've just been playing it 100% wrong. Not surprising.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

This was the first tank Hellsau ever TKed me in.

It's hard because it's huge; if it was a normal size tank it would be average with a decent gun for tier 4. The huge is a problem because it's also kind of fast, which means you get Hellcat syndrome while driving it. Your armor doesn't bounce poo poo, you can't turn for poo poo, and you're really not accurate enough to play as a retarded sniper. On top of that, tier 4 is terrible to play in unless you are in one of the OP tier 4 tanks.

So...don't feel too bad about it. It's like the M3 Lee in that some folks say "It's great if [X]," where [X] is something a new player wouldn't know crap about. The only advice I can give is a) don't go anywhere alone / don't make yourself a target; b) stay in low ground if possible; c) don't think that it's a heavy just because it looks like it should be; and d) never look back once you get the KV1, because at that point you are about to enter the "golden phase" about learning real things about World of Tanks that will actually help you play better and make perfect sense at the same time. Other than that just blow through that poo poo and come back to it in another 1,000 games and realize it was actually not such a bad tank.

Cool, thanks for the advice. I bought the first 57mm yesterday (it was only like 550xp) and played way differently than normal - mobile back line sniper type. It felt a little bit better but I still want to get through it as quick as possible. Should probably just use 2k of free experience to get to the KV-1 and try and forget this tank ever happened.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Valle posted:

Well, unless you really hate it, you shouldn't do that. Free exp should never be used to unlock the next tank, unless you REALLY loving hate the current tank (or you're richy mcmoneybags and you just blow oodles of cash on gold to get more free exp). When you get the next tank, it'll be stock. Stock tanks are mostly crap. Or at least pretty crap compared to fully upgraded. Blow the free exp on getting some upgrades instead, so you won't have to play a stock tank. A kinda sucky but fully upgraded tank may very well be better than the next tank in line when it's completely stock.

I kind of am really sick of playing it but you're right. I have about 15k free exp (which I realize is peanuts in the grand scheme of things but seems like a lot at this point) so I don't mind throwing a little around to increase my QOL. I've always been the type that finishes a game with like 99 of every consumable so I have a feeling that unless I actually act upon my desire to use free xp when it comes up I'll just save and save and save until the cows come home.

The only thing I tend to find painful about new tanks is crews, not the gear. I think it's mostly that I don't know what I'm missing.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Holy poo poo the DB2 is absolutely awful

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Double post

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Hellsau posted:

What the gently caress's a DB2? The DW2, the tier 4 German heavy? Load APCR, because it's one advantage is having 130 APCR pen while never seeing above tier 5. 67 pen is bad, 130 pen is great and allows you to just angle 45 degrees and hold left click on tier 3s and other tier 4s and DPM them down.

Shooting all APCR is kind of expensive given the rate of fire, but it's worth it. Consider it trading credits for fun and XP. It is a good trade.

Yeah, sorry DW2. Was never able to pen anything and it was super frustrating. That was incredibly good advice:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
It's TD week or something, right? I'm looking for ways to explain how most of my matches lately have had like 6-8 TD's on each side. It's kinda odd.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

NotWearingPants posted:

I've been enjoying this game a lot more since I decided to stop all research advancement and just play tanks I like.

I hope to get to that point some day but I'm always wondering "well maybe the next one is the tank I will love the most."

So far my absolute favorite tank is the KV-1 and I kind of just want to play that endlessly (which is nice because there's a ton of unlocks for it) but maybe my favorite tank is hiding somewhere in Tier 8 of a line I haven't even started on.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

NotWearingPants posted:

Yeah that makes sense. The difference is probably that I've played around 20k games (not proud of this) and I'm guessing you haven't yet.

Nah, not even close. I think I'm right around 1k and will probably get to where you're at at some point.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

NotWearingPants posted:

I suggest you try out the T-34-85 if you want a taste of medium tanks.

That thing has been on my radar for sure.

I have the Skoda T-24 (which I like but I'm bad with, mostly because it's pretty stock with a weak crew), I'm close to the M4 Sherman (at first I really didn't like the M3 Lee but I have since figured it out more and enjoy it) and I have the Panzer IV aH (which I'm ok with but lose a ton).

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
The M3 does suck so it's probably Stockholm Syndrome more than anything. I think I enjoy it because I don't just die immediately like I used to.

Geisladisk posted:

Basically what I'm saying is that you should keep going up the M4 line and should probably also get the T1 Heavy.

I have the T1 Heavy and play it a lot, it's probably my second favorite tank behind the KV-1. I really like the mobility and it seems pretty tough from the front with a good gun. It has taught me well that positioning and gun elevation/depression matter, concepts I was largely unaware of. I've had some pretty monstrous games with it and I'm looking forward to the M6 and T29.

Atomizer posted:

If you like the KV-1 you should check out the KV-1S; the "S" stands for "Better." :smugdog:

The T-24 is bad period; the T-25 after that is like the T-24 but good. You probably shouldn't even be bothering with the Czech line as a new player, although it's not as bad as say the French or Chinese lines.

The Lee is bad unless you're an autistic animu fag. The M4 and Pz4H are kind of mediocre, with the former having terrible gun handling (with the 76) and the latter having a mediocre 75, and both suffering from bad HEAT on their 105s. There are other, better MTs and tier 5s.

I kept the M10 and T67 as non-painful-to-play tier 5s over the M4 (and Pz4H) and the Pz3/4 and M7 are two of my most favorite tanks of all time.

I'm putting off the KV-1S until I have the other two heavies unlocked from the KV-1. I'll leave the KV-2 for later because I don't have much interest in artillery at this point. My crew is almost at 100/110 so I might even have a skill done by the time I go to the KV-1S.

I'm really only playing the Czech tanks because my ancestry is almost entirely Czech.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Geisladisk posted:

Artillery is the single worst piece of game design I've ever seen, gently caress.

Every forty seconds you get to roll a dice, if you roll high you completely ruin someone's game, if you roll low you do nothing. There's no way for the victim to know it's coming or prevent it, and there's no way for you to increase your success chance. It's frustrating horseshit for all parties.

I haven't really played that long and I feel the same. Nothing is worse than having a good position, influencing the battle and then BAM dead.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

NotWearingPants posted:

Arty's not that bad. I always make a point to congratulate arty players on a nice shot whenever they get me.

I will congratulate my teammate arty for getting a good shot, especially if they saved my rear end.

If the opponent arty gets me, that fucker was obviously lucky.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I had a pretty spectacular (by my standards) game in the KV-1 last night - about 1800 damage, 6 kills, 1700xp or so. Just abused the other team. Still didn't get Master! I have to figure it's super duper high just because of how much that tanks gets played but I was surprised. Is there any way to check?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

1. Go to wotreplays.com.
2. Click on Ace Tanker
3. In the Filter menu on the left: select the tank you're interested in, leave the rest as it is.
4. Sort by experience.
5. Check the lowest experience: this is what will get you the Ace Tanker badge on this vehicle.

This will only give you a rough idea; but for a tank like the KV1 it'll only take a few days before there will be enough ace tanker replays posted in 9.16 that you can have a much more precise estimate. There are only 2 9.16 KV1 Ace Tanker replays posted ATM.

Thanks. I cleared off the version filter and the lowest is 1034. My ~1700 (I must be misremembering) was with premium so it looks like I probably just missed it. Oh well.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Maimgara posted:

What you are seeing here is base xp versus total xp. Base xp is what matters for mastery, total xp is with win and premium bonus. Base is shown in the 15v15 results screen, and Ace badges on good tanks can typically require 1000 to 1100, with really great tanks might be 1300+.

Ahh yeah. The total xp I got was ~3400 and was an x2 first win with premium, which was ~1150 x 1.5 x 2. I imagine the non-win base xp was below the threshold.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

man i have been loving the hell out of this swedish autoloader. Decent mobility and the clip damage is pretty awesome. Plus it's only like a 16s reload or something

That thing is the seal clubbers tank of choice right now. I see 2-6 in just about every match I play and I'm fairly certain there's a vast conspiracy that they're all focusing on me.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
http://www.tankrewards.com/wglna-scavenger-hunt/

Get you some easy free gold

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Are any of these teams the favorite?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
HIGHCALIBER is today's code

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

NotWearingPants posted:

I've missed them all.

I need a mod that scans for the code and automatically enters it on the website.

I tried using visualping but it didn't work. I just happened to randomly refresh at the right time.

I have all 4 so far but I think that's going to be it. I think I'd rather do just about anything on a Saturday afternoon rather than watching a WOT esports livestream.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I just logged off, apparently he only plays on the NA servers when he's drunk and wants to kill americans.

lmao

he only plays church 3 and su-100y though, since that's all he bought here

I'm 99% sure I played with this guy in a match the other day. It was endless spamming of French and broken English "KILL ALL AMERICANS!!!!" or something like that. I forget what tank he was in but Church 3 sounds right.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Rorac posted:

I dunno man, seeing a 43% player in an E-100 is even worse. Nobody expects a 500-game player to be any good unless they're a reroll, but not learning a loving thing after 10,000 games? :ughh:

I know there's a wide range of people that play this game but I just can't fathom how bad you have to be to have that low of a WR, especially after so many games. It isn't even that uncommon. At that point you have to be an active detriment to your team, as I'd imagine just sitting in the back and doing absolutely nothing and letting your team go 14v15 would still get you like a 45-48% WR.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Hellsau posted:

Turns out that suicide rushing the enemy base is bad, and doing literally nothing is bad, but not nearly as bad as being somewhere, having your teammates rely on you doing the bare minimum such as winning a 1v1 with a tier ten against a tier eight, and then doing literally nothing except position yourself in such a way as to die incredibly fast.

This is totally right. Actually being in the fight and being a terrible player has to be a severe detriment, especially if they're clogging up a chokepoint or not supporting when they should be.

One thing that has sent my WR and general usefulness to my team soaring is keeping the heatmaps from vbaddict open for the map/game mode/tanktype open on my second monitor. I greatly struggled with where the gently caress I should be going on any of the 30 different maps with the 4 different tank types to be useful and that has been a real boon. I try not to use it to a fault but I figure the work has been done by everyone else to know where to go, who the hell am I to second guess.

The other big thing is just learning to default to being patient. There are obviously times when pressing is important or being in the wrong place is bad but chances are if you just sit still and give them time to gently caress up, they'll eagerly take you up on that offer.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/31/advent-calendar-2016/

Some sort of advent calendar/daily sale thing with another "collect 8 codes" type of deal. Doesn't seem limited and at least you don't have to watch terrible eSports this time.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I had a really great game yesterday that really didn't show up for much in the stat sheet.

It was a T8 match with my T29, south on Serene Coast. The only other heavy on our team was a tomato O-I and they had 6 heavies. I asked for help down the 9 line and an Indien-Panzer came along as well as (IIRC) a Stug III g (might have been the next tier up). I figured we were going to get rolled over in quick succession, but I was able to quickly get to a good position behind one of the rocks that left me largely hull-down from either side. I think they had 4 heavies there (Lowe, 117, two others I'm forgetting) that could have easily ate our lunch if they just rolled in, but they never made any concerted effort so one would poke, get punished, and run back to cover. I bounced a ton of shots off the turret, took some damage, and managed to basically hold them off long enough for the rest of our team to take care of the rest of the map. Actually had some timely arty support as well. I'm still stuck with the pretty inadequate 90mm but the ~900 damage I did spread across 4 tanks (with one kill on an enterprising light) was just enough to stop them from rolling me over. I didn't survive but by the time I died we had a decent numerical advantage and good positions on their remaining tanks that it was mostly a mop-up effort.

So only about 900 damage and 1 kill with a little bit of spotting and tracking damage didn't amount to much (not complaining, just saying) but I feel like I definitely did more than my part in that game.

I really like the T29. The 90mm is, again, inadequate against most tanks it will face (I can only imagine what it would be like if you didn't research that gun with the M6 and only had the 76mm) but it's a great tank even with that. I should have the 105mm in a few more days and I'm big time looking forward to that.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I apologize for the nit pick, and will admit it has been a while, but the 90 used to be the seal clubbers gun of choice on the T29. It has more DPM and far better gun handling characteristics over the 105 that when coupled with firing a ton of APCR made it absurdly aggravating to fight in good hands. It also had an absurd amount of gun depression with the 90 to the point where it could almost shoot its own front armor.

The 90mm is pretty fantastic against lower tier enemies but the pen for the regular AP rounds leaves a lot to be desired against most of the T7/T8 heavies. If you shoot the APCR you'll be in business but I tend not to because I'm in short supply on credits (right now).

If I'm high tier it's totally fine. The DPM is reasonably higher on the 90mm but given the choice I'd err on the side of higher pen and alpha.

Hellsau posted:

So, here's a hypothetical - what happens if you don't try to win the east side with inadequate support, and instead just stay in the northeast near your base, in the hills just east of base, and hulldown while watching that water crossing? They can't really push you out without taking three or so hits crossing that wide opening, and once they do you've softened them up and can get some more hits while they kill you. And if they're as cowardly further back in the east, they might just try to fight you from that corner near the building while you're in a very well protected spot. Once your team wins the other side of the map, you're still alive to help with the cleanup and get to deal even more damage.

Just because your team has nothing on one part of the map doesn't mean you need to go there and hope for a miracle. They're not going to win by hiding in those islands.

That sounds like a good strategy as well. If the opportunity ever presents, I'll give that a whirl. It might be better if everyone else was on board with it but if you have a team that forsakes an entire side of the map, you might have trouble setting up a non-standard defense on the other. The one nice thing about being out on the peninsula was that our artillery (there were 3 per side) were supporting pretty well, which might be more difficult for them if we were trying to hold off in that narrow passage right outside of base.

The only other issue might be that you're losing out on your one obvious choke point, so if they get through to that position there's a few different lanes to go around and flank (and take out your arty).

Barry fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 1, 2016

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I played through it with the 105, but that was the 2nd line I ever ground up. I can totally understand the willingness to not shoot APCR if you don't have to. There was a time...like 2 or 3 years ago where the gold rounds cost less than they do now and then were half off on top of it. I had like 2000 of the suckers for the T20, Pershing, Super Pershing, and 25/2. Went through them so quickly. Those where the days.

I'll shoot it when it makes sense to me (a competitive match or important situation that taking out this difficult to pen tank will be fruitful) but I never default to it. It just seems so expensive. Fire 2-3 APCR shells in a losing effort and that game probably cost you credits.

I remember Hellsau saying that you're exchanging credits for enjoyment and that's true but having credits for other things is also enjoyable.

Speaking of which, I blew all mine on equipment over the weekend and god drat I love those gun rammers.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Atomizer posted:

There are still some low-tier derping possibilities. Think Hetzers 1-shotting tier 3s and the like.

I actually got derped in my Covenanter last night by an unseen Hetzer. I was pretty impressed.

Barry fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 2, 2016

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I hate the crew nonsense in this game. It just seems so incredibly unnecessary and is so impenetrable to a newbie. I like the idea of the skills and having a good crew if you play them for a long time but there has to be a better way to do it.

Especially when you have a tank line that randomly adds/subtracts the number of crew members throughout the tiers. Historical accuracy is great up until the point where you have a gimpy rear end loader lagging behind everyone else.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

NotWearingPants posted:

I have over 20 k games and I still don't know the names of any of the maps. Like I can name a few, eg. Westfield, and Karelia, but I don't know which ones they are. I know Prok and Fiery Salient. Whenever I am in a TS and I want to refer to a map I try to describe it like, "you know the one with the big hill in the east where all the heavies go and the ocean in the west that people yolo once in a while?"

Does that point to some form of autism, or do I just smoke too much weed?

I didn't have the foggiest idea what most map names were until I started keeping the vbaddict maps open on my second monitor so I could have some vague idea where I should be going for each map/tank type. I'm getting a little better but I still couldn't tell you most of them.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Squish posted:

I was 70 loving HP off getting TD-15 for the T55-a the other day in my JT. 3 kills, 5930 damage and my rear end in a top hat teammates wouldn't let me finish the last SPG after carrying their worthless asses.

I was in a game the other day that someone was begging to kill the last arty for a mission and he was promptly ignored while the shitters raced to try and find it. Common decency? What's that?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Atomizer posted:

It's basically the Japanese VK3601. :shrug:

I just mastered the VK36.01H yesterday. It is not without significant flaws but I really like that tank. I think it's because the Waffe is just an excellent, excellent gun.

Isn't there typically a sale on tech tree tanks around Christmas? I have like 6 tanks unlocked that I can't afford.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I've found it to be super situational. Winterberg or Ensk and you're the only top tier against a team full of heavies? You're probably going to have a bad time.

Somewhere you can hide behind another heavy a bit and DPM the crap out of engaged tanks and still trade a bit? You're going to have a great time.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I think the win rate for the entire country of Argentina is 45%, max. How are they all so bad?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I thought about the ping angle and maybe I have slightly rose colored glasses from looking back on my days playing with half second ping times on dialup in games like Quake and CS and all that, but it really shouldn't be THAT big a deal. If I could hit a moving target in those conditions in a twitch shooter with regularity, maybe having to occasionally lead a target a bit more shouldn't immediately turn a nation of people into a tomato patch. Who knows.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Ahh, that makes some sense. I guess I take it for granted that WG actually has competent hosting, though I don't know why I would.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Turmoilx posted:

new tank fair match making , 15 of the same tank on each team heh http://imgur.com/a/QCxun

Nice dick tanks there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

srb posted:

Literally the third game I play in however many months and some 49%er goes off on a tangent about HOW WRONG I AM and to STOP BEING SO BOSSY when all I said was that 1-2 line on Cliff = not the best place for our team to be.

We lost 2-15 and still he goes on in IM about "how does it feel to be wrong all the time?" after the match.

What is wrong with this player base, including myself?

I'm constantly amazed by how painfully non self aware people seem to be. How does someone with a 46% win rate and an average damage of like 100 have so much hubris? Are they completely unaware that copious amounts of stats exist to prove that they're a terrible player, or is this just one of those post-truth things that if they're just loud enough about it and blame the other guy enough, obviously they're right? I swear you could base some sort of a thesis around the playerbase of this game. Probably wouldn't come out sane in the end though.

I aced the Swedish Tier 1 in my first and only game. I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good.