Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I've been considering reinstalling on PC but I haven't played in a while. As in, last time i played the Batchat was just introduced a few months earlier. I just burned out on it playing with the goon clan defending Alsace and some other place daily and sometimes at odd hours. I had a good chunk of stuff unlocked at the time.

Can anyone give me a short lost of what has changed? I heard arty is limited per side now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Katamari Democracy posted:

If you do reinstall let us know and we can shoot you an invite to our discord and clan.

Thanks! I just got my account recovered. It should be BitBasher, same as here. I'll install when I get home but I may not get on tonight.

Crazyeyes24 posted:

There's some good fun to be had still, even if some of the old headaches persist.

If you do come back, make sure to get a referral link from someone. Basically gives you free premium account bonuses for a while (stacks with premium and other boosts).

If anyone wants to send me a referral link I'm down with that. The coworker that borrowed my account (and trashed my W/L) also spent all my gold so I got poo poo and nothing now I'm pretty sure.

I had hear light tank matchmaking was overhauled? I used to absolutely love playing the Chaffee. I had a 58-59% solo win rate in that and I loved spotting for the team even though I couldn't pen a single thing on the field unless I could shoot it in the rear end.

EDIT: I should have something to play at all levels, I had most all of the US tree with most everything maxxed out and crewed. Varying amounts of the Russian line and not much German and French if I remember back like 7 years or so.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 31, 2020

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Well, the client is installing.

I can log into the website just fine but the exact same username and password are not working in the WOT launcher. Strange.

EDIT: Nevermind, changing my password solved it for some reason.

Anyone have a referral code for me on PC?

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 31, 2020

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Used, thanks!

Wow, I got free poo poo on login for having an 8 year old account, lol.

The tech tree has changed dramatically.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 31, 2020

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Okay, me again. Apparently lots of poo poo changed in the 6 or 7 years since I last played and I'm still trying to get poo poo sorted.

Here's a shot of my American Tech tree, it's the one I was furthest down when I stopped.

The Chaffee has moved down a tier, and there are now two new lines of tanks, one is light all the way up to tier 10, the other oddly goes light to medium to heavy all in one line? Are either of those worth pursuing?

Also what the hell happened to my US T-34? It's apparently completely gone, or am I crazy? It's not in my garage either. If I remember right it was a tier VIII premium and I used it to train crew after crew for transferring into US tanks. I really liked that thing. Raising crew in a Fatty Pershing seems not as pleasant.

Are there any lines to completely avoid?

How go I find goons to play with?

EDIT: I can perhaps level crew in a Super Hellcat? I got given one but have no idea how it is.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 14, 2020

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If you have Twitch Prime through Amazon Prime, be sure to link your WoT account (then manually claim the offers). It'll earn you a T7 US captured King Tiger that you can use as a heavy trainer, plus a French commander this month with three free skills (including Sixth Sense).

I do! Thanks! It said I got the King Tiger.

What are the go to skills now for training crews. Sixth sense I'm assuming. What about for the other positions?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

McGavin posted:

It's still a tier 8 premium. Your co-worker probably sold it for credits. There's an automated system to get it back through the support ticketing system if you have the credits to purchase it.

Holy poo poo that never even occurred to me that he might have sold it.

EDIT: Double holy poo poo it's 52 bucks to replace.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 14, 2020

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

What is your schedule like? I have you on my referral program (Last battle 14 days ago?!) Im usually at this moment in my life available to play tanks in the afternoon almost anyday 5-11PM EST. Weekends might be weird.

Did I give you get the discord invite awhile back? I thought I sent you one? If you need an invite to Pansy just hit me up with a PM letting me know when you want an invite and I will get it done for you that day. wait I am an rear end in a top hat I sent you an invite to Pansy.

I have the whole hearing impaired thing going on regarding discord, so it's not optimal. I did get a clan invite but didn't get to it before it expired apparently. I did add you to my friends list in game.

I'm PST, and will play sporadically from 7-10 PST? I've been distracted lately. I'm about to jump on.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Thanks for the advice everyone, SuperPershing still works pretty well, apparently!

No one else joined me on the North flank of Mannerheim Line except a single light so I pushed it myself. Fun!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

moolchaba posted:

I wonder how many players are like me and haven't spent a single dime on this game?

It takes money to run this game so I realized not everybody can play like I do and be a cheapskate. But if this game dies because everybody becomes a cheapskate like me, I don't know if I'll feel too bad.

Doesn't matter. Players playing free just adds to the critical mass of the user base so games are always easy to find. Whales will support the game. 1% of the player base spends well over 90% of the cash on the game in games like this. Same with GTA Online and everything in a similar vein. The trick is capturing the whales.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Hey, so what mods are worth using now? I see a lot of them have been integrated...

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Hey, which mod is adding potential tier matching at the top of the tank pictures?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

This game was hilarious. The stars aligned juuuust right. Top gun In a freaking T21.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Okay, having played for a month after having been gone 7 or so years I have some observations about the state of the game...

What used to be gold ammo is sold for silver now but costs a poo poo ton per shot. There doesn't seem to be any meaningful balance with this, I get to choose between penning or making money in the game? It seems the ammo types really need a balance pass. Maybe have alternative ammo do a good deal less damage in exchange for penetration but have them cost similar amounts? This just seems like an odd choice to me.

Power creep has seemed to really gently caress up game balance. A lot of German tanks seem to be screwed and going up some German lines at T8 just seems horrible. Russian tanks still seem perfectly fine though?

The new double barreled tanks seem totally out of whack, as do a lot of the auto loaders. They have a very disproportional ability to dump damage compared to a tank with a conventional gun, without any real disadvantages that I can see. whatever DPS is listed in tank descriptions is fairly irrelevant compared to the ability to dump damage when you need it. Typically from what I can see this game isn't about sustained damage, but the ability to dump damage and get to cover. There doesn't seem to be much of any semblance of balance in this at all.

Wheeled lights have basically screwed over every other light or spotting tank? No light tank has enough armor to bounce shots, but wheeled tanks can make absolutely physics defying turns while keeping speed to the point that it looks totally unnatural. There isn't enough traction in the world for anything approaching what they do in the game. It's kind of baffling to me watching them. They move like a cartoon character inserted into the middle of a war movie. They seem to make any light that it not wheeled completely pointless.

Maybe it's just me but these things are the ones that stand out. I still basically suck compared to when I played before but I'm making headway.

EDIT: I had a funny game in a Russian T-10 on the map with the hill in the center (Not Mines, Cliff I believe) where light tanks always rush to the center and use the hill to spot. When the timer counted down I realized there were no lights in the game at all, no artillery, and few fast mediums. So I hauled my fat rear end to the hill with all due haste. There were two enemies on the hill that got there about the same time as me but were acting non committal and didn't want to crest. I turned myself around and backed up the hill road while locking my turret forward so when I was exposed to them it was mostly hull down front armor. They bounced, I shot one of them and they both ran. I was the only one that ever went up the hill and I was looking at nothing but tank and TD sides. I ended up doing almost 4k damage from the top of that hill the whole game in a fat heavy.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Can anyone give me a brief rundown or a link to whats happening in the next patch?

Apparently people are working to get certain tanks before the patch? I don't seem to be finding a good summary of what the hell is going on... Is there something obvious I should be working towards and trying to get before the next patch?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Slaapaav posted:

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Changelog:_World_of_Tanks_(PC)_Patch_0.9.3

the saddest day where 4 brave tanks died: chaffee, tier 4 stuart, hellcat and kv1s

I really like the Chaffee and Hellcat. I have 175 battles in the Chaffee, I really enjoyed playing it back when it was more useful before wheeled lights.

Thanks, but I'm still not sure what people are grinding for? All the tanks will apparently still be available after the update, just not on the tech tree and can be bought with silver, no research needed. So what are all the people grinding for?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Addendum to my previous post:

While acquiring all the soon to be removed t2-3 tanks for the bonus blueprints I have concluded the following: The new player experience has to be utterly loving abysmal. The changes in the next patch are only marginally going to help. There are people farming Tier 2-3 games with fully maxxed out crews. Like a couple in every game. Some beginner tanks absolutely clown over others, specifically the ones that have a 10 or 12 round autofire magazine like the Combat Car. It's can kill a tank outright in a single volley. What even the gently caress were they thinking? If they don't isolate the tanks they are removing into their own matchmaker, or isolate players that are obviously farming they are just letting new players be shark food. It's impressive how bad it is. I know what I am doing and it's isn't totally horrible only for that reason, but if I was new at this game, so this was my first experience? Holy poo poo.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

When 8/13 games are victories but the session still ends on a "that felt poo poo" note, something's definitely amiss.

Low tiers are getting HP buffs, all the way up to Tier VI (with accordingly proportional reductions in said buffs going up each tier). This should (and probably will) help in making three-man platoons of seal-clubbing machine-gun dickheads way less effective overall when it comes to rushing a flank and rubbing out 3 enemy vehicles.

It's not just that, the difference in playability among the range of t2 tanks is immense.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

I missed the auto loader on the Bulldog and I feel bad about that. That sounds awesome!

Have they mentioned what happens to free experience on tanks that get taken off the standard tech tree? I didn't see that in the article. For example the T71DA is coming off the tree. When that happens I apoparently get the next in line T69 researched, by does my 33k combat experience on the T71-DA just vanish?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Also there is some kind of scavenger code hunt thing going on for a small set of rewards each day.

The first two codes are SHDYGDL0420 and TTWPSND0420 which you plug into the code redemption page on the website. There are going to be 30 all in. I was do it soon, apparently the codes are only good for two days each and the first one is from yesterday.

EDIT: Whoops, NA PC only, sorry!

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 4, 2020

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

BitBasher posted:

Also there is some kind of scavenger code hunt thing going on for a small set of rewards each day.
NA, PC only!

https://na.wargaming.net/shop/redeem/

1: SHDYGDL0420
2: TTWPSND0420

3: KLKAKJB0420,

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Can anyone give me advice on the best premium from the referral program?

The current options are:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

BitBasher posted:

NA, PC only!

https://na.wargaming.net/shop/redeem/

1: SHDYGDL0420
2: TTWPSND0420
3: KLKAKJB0420

4: ASJBHDF0420

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Dunite posted:

Alright, talking to a friend in DotA last night convinced me to try and come back to WoT after trying War Thunder tanks again after a few years off. WT is just spawn camping so that got boring quick and I haven't been in WoT in over 5 years. He assured me P2W was gone but honestly I can't believe that to be true so I thought I'd ask here first.

Was he full of poo poo or do I need to give it a try?

Played with Otter for a few years during clan wars, and not sure if clan life is worth it. Any redeeming qualities now?

Well, gold ammo is gone but the premium tanks have seemed to go pretty silly instead.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Whelp, just had my t9 T30 one shotted through the front for 1650 by an FV4005. How do they expect to keep people playing when poo poo like this happens? It wasn't even a lucky artillery shot, just straight through the front of my hull one single shot.

I mean why bother playing?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If you'd said "Through the front of my turret", that's be a different story, because the FV shouldn't be able to do that.

But almost every single round available to mediums and heavies at tier 8 ( Hell, to lights, too, even) can pen your hull, which is why you make certain with tanks like the T29/32/30 which pretty much share a hull, that you only expose your turret and move around drat careful early on, especially in tier 10 matches when FVs and 183s are afoot.

It was a match where both teams had a single objective and whoever took it over first wins. On mines. In the cap zone. There was literally nowhere to hit him from, he was behind a building He was not going to roll out so I could shoot him.

I'm used to being penned, not outright one shotted. When I played the game way back things that did this weren't in the game and I am increasingly thinking the game was better for it.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 15, 2020

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Soo...encounter then? You know there's like six different courses of action to choose from on those map types before you're put in a position where your last recourse is to bee-line for the cap-circle.

Not sure why you would yeet right into the cap from the get-go when there's a chance that a fairly fast tier 10 TD with a HESH round might either be in there with you, or looking to gun for you in that cap circle.

You aren't wrong. I took 7 or so years off and I have no idea the approach to the game modes and maps now. This wasn't in the begging of the game, it was middle, trying to stop a cap. I didn't just go all yahoo in. If I didn't head in I would have lost on the cap. There was only about 40 seconds left on the timer and all the other non arty mobiles on my team were hosed off to the river where the objective wasn't, for some unknown reason.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

But yoloing into the cap on encounter in a hull-down-monster with a paper hull while an FV4005 is in the match?

That...that's on you, my goon.

That's not at all what happened? Although up until now I literally had no idea a tank existed with the capacity to do that. My only point really is that the capacity for this to even happen I feel is a really bad game play design choice.

EDIT: Honestly I'm pretty poo poo at this game, since coming back I have not remotely gotten enough familiarity with the maps and how they work now. There are a lot of new maps, tanks that are wildly different than before, and game modes. I'm getting it slowly, I fully admit that I'm most of the problem.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 16, 2020

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Redeye Flight posted:

The Death Star's turret can't even turn more than 45 degrees to the left or right!
Well poo poo, that would have been good to know!

Redeye Flight posted:

Wildly escalating alpha damage arms races is a genuine problem plaguing this game's upper tiers real bad; that said, the top tier British TDs in that line have always been about that one-hit wonder shot. I don't remember when they were introduced but it was well before I started playing; from the sound of it it was less than seven years ago, though.

To put things in perspective, when last I played the french line was just introduced and the Batchat was the hot new poo poo. The handful of french tanks with auto loaders were all the auto loaders in the entire game, and they were balanced by the fact that they didn't move so fast they couldn't be hit and their armor basically did not exist. .

Passive scouting was the way to go, risking getting to a bush was a solid strategy because there were no wheeled lights to blaze out and spot you in your hidey bush. Light tanks were very useful, not like now where lights that are not wheeled can kind of get hosed it seems. I really can't get what I'm supposed to do with conventional lights now like the T71 set. I can't do wheeled light poo poo and live, but my team just throws a poo poo fit when I don't run out and die trying.

Premium tanks were pretty much always a little tiny bit worse than the tree tanks in their tier, but the balance was that they made more cash and experience. Nothing in tier 2 and 3 really had a derp gun or an auto fire gun worth a drat, they played largely the same as tanks in tier 4 to 6 or so, just crappier. The only real derp guns was the bobblehead KV and the 105 on the Sherman if I remember right, and neither of those were really one shotting anything.

On the down side gold ammo was cash only, light tanks got massively over matched two tiers higher than now (Chaffees could see tier IX enemies I think?) and there was no limit to arty in a game. Seeing 3-6 arty per side was not uncommon. You would get rare games with 8-10 arty per team. Once I saw 12.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 16, 2020

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh, sorry, from your description, I understood that you bee-lined for the cap on encounter and that's where you got nailed by the shitbarn. My bad if that wasn't the case.

Don't worry about feeling slow on re-learning the game. The playerbase is still poo poo, the mechanics are still broken, you'll do fine before long :)

I don't blame you for thinking that, from what I can see 75% of the player base just cruise controls on into the enemy.

I'm getitng there but it's rough.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

TracerM17 posted:

I suggest to turn off team chat. Your team mates usually aren't helpful, especially the dead ones.

Regarding playing again for the first time in 7 years, I suggest watch some youtube videos of people who commentate their own game play. Lemmingrush and Skill4ltu are good for that. They do things that I had no idea why people did, but then say why they are doing it and it makes sense.

thanks, I'll take a look, but online videos are problematic because of hearing issues, unless they have subtitles. I do stay the full length of almost every game to see how the teams play out though. That's how I've been trying to learn map flow so far.

Der Shovel posted:

Oh boy, the IS-2-II's stock gun ain't great. You'd think a pitiful 85mm pea shooter was at least accurate but noooo.

At least you have the weight limit to upgrade to the second gun first thing!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

For those who have gotten the tech tree double barrel: How was the grind from T-150 to the KV-3? I do not want to purchase the EBR 105 just yet and would rather have fun getting another double barrel fun tank to drive around in.

I'm on it now. T150 I thought was pretty crap, and the first gun on the KV-2 II is pretty anemic but I've seen much worse.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

My heart just skipped a beat.

Holy hell, I want that tank now.

Typo! Freud has words for me over that.

I looked into my tech tree and it looks like I will not have to worry about much.

The issue I now face is how I am going to cycle through crews on these things. My idea is to make it as cheap as possible until I can at least get to the IS-2-II.

Get that last gun on the T-150 ASAP, the ones before it are kind of horrible.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

LRADIKAL posted:

The T-150 is good tank.

Then I just didn't get it. The gun was okay it it had no meaningful armor and was slow as balls. It just got penned through constantly, which in combination with absmal speed to me just felt half useless..

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

So cool. Many thanks again BitBasher

Any time man! Thanks for the free tank and stuff!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

ANGER TIME!

I have 2990 tokens for the event, which it says runs through the 28th. Today is still the loving 28th but I can't apparently earn any more tokens so I can't get a free loving tank, on the day it says the event is still going on. What even the loving gently caress?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

McGavin posted:

You need to check the time as well as the date. By 28th, they mean "at server reset at 7:00 AM EST on the 28th".

Then they should maybe write that on the event page? How the hell should I guess that? It's not written there at all, nor is there a countdown timer, just 1st - 28th. I could have easily gotten it yesterday if that had been written on the event page.

Sorry, I'm just really annoyed.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Frontlines isnt hard to understand people. A lot of my teams tonight has been trying to end the game as fast as possible. And people like me get upset because we know the longer the game lasts the more the ranks fill up.

But I must press on if I want to roll in the credits.

Yep.

As a side note I have ended 4 of 6 rounds I have played with a single hit of any kind left for the next rank! Eh, it's fun!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Mesadoram posted:

A lot of people actually prefer the sd client, better frame rate and less shiny bullshit flooding the screen.

I am not one of them, but after that...

Wait, there's different clients?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

MariusLecter posted:

Yeah, I get a smoother frame rate with SD client but sometimes the pretty bloom and lighting of the HD client is worth it.

Well poo poo, gonna look that up when I get home.

Also is it intended that no crews gain experience in frontlines? That seems really odd. but it's the way it's working. I've had a T-44 at 99% crew skills for 10 games or so now so I started paying attention. None of my crews are gaining experience at all from this game mode. Seems kind of a lovely thing to do for a mode that takes twice as long to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Is the Defender still a good tank for people that hate themselves enough to spend money on this game?

It bounces more shells than other tanks do when I shoot at it with this other tank that I bought because I hate myself enough to spend money on the game... So yes?