Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
when Neo gets plugged into the Matrix what kind of connection/bandwidth do you think he's getting on that sucker? do you really think in the future they couldn't invent a sick wireless adapter for that giant hole in his head so he could

A. learn hella poo poo just while walking around
B. not have that incredibly painful sensation when jacking IN to the matrix?

I'd guess Thunderbolt 7 or 8 but the connector looks too lovely to be designed by Apple...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol that's coax

pram
Jun 10, 2001

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
when i saw the matrix i become obsessed with the steak that the dickhead guy eats in the scene where he's like 'i know this is just 1 and 0s, but it tastes amazing' because goddamn that steak looked good.

i called it the matrix steak, and i'd eat at a restaurant and order the steak and then my parents would ask me if it was the matrix steak and i'd say no.

anyhow i finally had the matrix steka when i made it myself.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it was just a rare steak

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
a 36 pin ieee1284 to coax

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pram posted:

it was just a rare steak

tell that to applebees

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
looked like 1/4" headphone jacks to me cuz they just yanked it out of him, coax has the twisty connectors

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
wireless probably isnt feasible with all teh hovering robots and poo poo throwing off crazy interference op

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
blue...tooth

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

wireless probably isnt feasible with all teh hovering robots and poo poo throwing off crazy interference op

no FCC around any more to enforce proper rf enclosures for all those robots ... Just total chaos ... those drat machines destroyed all that was good and noble

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

carry on then posted:

lol that's coax

rotor posted:

looked like 1/4" headphone jacks to me cuz they just yanked it out of him, coax has the twisty connectors

coax can have the non twisty kind of connectors that you just push on tho. and if it's a single conductor then it's probably some kind of super amazing future frequency multiplexing to be able 2 send all that data so it's gotta have a shield. i agree it's probably coax

~however~ it could also be a fiber-optic cable just with a metal jacket/spike around the fiber itself for protection and ease of insertion (iykwim)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

rotor posted:

no FCC around any more to enforce proper rf enclosures for all those robots ... Just total chaos ... those drat machines destroyed all that was good and noble

are you kidding, obv it was humanity that destroyed all that was good and noble

I expect all the robots knew were those horrible MILSPEC connectors with like 50 leads in a round twisty thing

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

~however~ it could also be a fiber-optic cable just with a metal jacket/spike around the fiber itself for protection and ease of insertion (iykwim)

the brain makes its own lube

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

rotor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mExl-xGOUmE

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pram posted:

it was just a rare steak

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
a neural interface

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

a neoral interface

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

eschaton posted:

are you kidding, obv it was humanity that destroyed all that was good and noble

I expect all the robots knew were those horrible MILSPEC connectors with like 50 leads in a round twisty thing

??

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

a neural interface

i hate you so much right now

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Migishu posted:

i hate you so much right now

:confused:

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk
some advanced teledildonics

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
one of those neutrik audio connectors

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

well learning stuff while walking around wasn't really an option considered by the robots on account of because all the people are in them little pods unless they escape from the matrix, so a cable/connector based interface is the best option really.

so when a new person is born do they get a brainport installed right away? that'd be pretty hosed up. then they gotta replace it whenever the person grows some. wow. the matrix world is really hosed up.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Elder Postsman posted:

so when a new person is born do they get a brainport installed right away? that'd be pretty hosed up. then they gotta replace it whenever the person grows some. wow. the matrix world is really hosed up.

is it really that much more godawful than the notion that getting pregnant in the matrix basically means a robot took some sperm from a dude and jammed up it a lady's cooch, and then nine months later the robots would basically extract the baby from the mother

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

no that's really bad too.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
spermjacking squidbots

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
it's a movie prop, OP

neo is a fictional character and there is no real interface, in fact, the entire story is untrue

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

spermjacking squidbots

mods

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sniep posted:

it's a movie prop, OP

neo is a fictional character and there is no real interface, in fact, the entire story is untrue

cmon man dont ruin the spirit of christmas its up to parents to tell their kids neo isnt real

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

is it really that much more godawful than the notion that getting pregnant in the matrix basically means a robot took some sperm from a dude and jammed up it a lady's cooch, and then nine months later the robots would basically extract the baby from the mother

I don't think that's how it works, you saw all the jars of fetuses. It's all in vitro

Also reminder that the original script has the humans being used as a neural supercomputer cluster, not a power source, but they felt that the average American wouldn't understand that concept

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Sagebrush posted:

Also reminder that the original script has the humans being used as a neural supercomputer cluster, not a power source

really? that makes more sense

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

his mouth is an interface for dicks, op

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think that's how it works, you saw all the jars of fetuses. It's all in vitro

Also reminder that the original script has the humans being used as a neural supercomputer cluster, not a power source, but they felt that the average American wouldn't understand that concept

i think it's more likely that someone came up with that image of morpheus summing up our lives as a duracell battery and wanted that image in the movie so bad

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

to be fair it came out in a time when only ~40% of america had a home internet connection

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

when i saw the matrix i become obsessed with the steak that the dickhead guy eats in the scene where he's like 'i know this is just 1 and 0s, but it tastes amazing' because goddamn that steak looked good.

i called it the matrix steak, and i'd eat at a restaurant and order the steak and then my parents would ask me if it was the matrix steak and i'd say no.

anyhow i finally had the matrix steka when i made it myself.
Once you learn how to cook steaks you will be disappointed at all restaurants all the time unless you pay an inordinate amount of money (and then unless you're loaded you'll just think to yourself that you coulda done that at home 4 times for that price)

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
all I know is he didn't use monster cables--Morpheus wouldn't fall for that poo poo.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Contrary to popular myth, though the Nokia 7110 does feature a spring-loaded cover concealing the keypad, this is not the model featured in the first Matrix movie, which is the Nokia 8110 (made 3 years prior), which was adapted with a spring mechanism to feature in the 1999 film.[5][6]

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i want to know why he didnt just use a wifi connection to the cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

rotor posted:

• Locked thread