Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

EggsAisle posted:

I like how this game uses the monologue screens. They're a good way to show the characters reflecting on the events of the story as it progresses.

I especially like how those screens are from the perspectives of more than just one character. They could have had them all be Toxa, but the game recognizes that he's not the only one with anything interesting to say and so it gives them the mic. Hell, Toxa hasn't even had one yet. If he hadn't been the person you picked at the character select screen and wasn't being set up for a Hero's Journey, you might not realize he's the main character here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Maybe GIFs of the sprite animations, like you did with the spells? You'd have to save it for a suitably momentous occasion, though. And you still don't get the sound effects. I dunno, might be worth a try.

Also, like another post mentioned, the (complete) soundtrack to the game exists in .psf format. I can't remember how or where I got it, but I'm looking at it as I type this. It includes the ~20 songs here that didn't make it on the official track list, which is pretty neat. You could conceivably convert them to mp3's and upload them to Youtube or tindeck or something. Alternatively, let me know and I'd be happy to convert them for you. Not sure how you'd want them sent, we could figure something out. Or you can just keep doing your thing, it's your show.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.
It would be incredibly helpful if you could convert the soundtrack to whatever format is listenable.
Personally I don't see any reason why you couldn't upload it to tindeck or youtube. But if you don't want to do that, then just rar the files and email them to Danzilez0@hotmail.com and then I'll upload it.
If you do upload it yourself to youtube then please make a playlist and drop a link in the thread. It's easier to get an overview of all the tracks that way for me.

Thumbs up for helpfulness.

Gif'ing things seems like a good idea. I promise not to go overboard with it. Or rather it's largely unlikely because I'm lazy.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Here's the Youtube playlist:

Kartia: The Missing Soundtrack (ha)

I've never set one up before, so I'm not 100% I did it right. Let me know.

EDIT: I should mention that this list only includes tracks that are NOT on the OST. For songs that are, just use this one

EggsAisle fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 7, 2015

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

NOTICE For the faint of heart, this update is gonna contain the death of someone we love dearly. If you cannot handle emotional stress, please skip this update.

Toxa Episode 6 Chapter 3 Pt.2 Electric Boogaloo

Last time, before Misty told Duran and Alana about the possibility of Mona being in danger, Ele seemed pretty alarmed about something and now Toxa is checking it out.
Hopefully Ele just saw a good deal on roastbeef sandwiches, and even she had to admit those are better than her sour tangerines. But just in case, let's check out what really happened.

:siren:MUSIC: Feel Uneasy:siren:

Wait, hold on. Did Garum show up with the same amount of thieves as last time we beat him? We'll Toxa and Ele is seperated so it could work out I guess.

"What about you?"
"I'll stay here and stop them."

"If I surrender now, they'll..."
"I won't allow that. Miss Ele, take Mona to safety..."

"Toxa..."
"Miss Ele, go! Now!"

Uh oh. I'm feeling a Heroic Sacrifice coming up. Was nice knowing you Toxa. Kind of a twist that Toxa ISN*T the protagonist.
Kind of decent of him to atleast acknowledge when he has nothing to contribute to the story. I'm looking at you Vaan.

:siren:MUSIC:Divine Protection:siren:

So this is our starting position. Right now we have a Shadow Miles from the start, and the Doll Miles we created last time.
Now let's check out the opposition shall we?

(The pots contain the 'Chrysanthemum' Text and some Mithril)

:siren: Level 4 Beheads! :siren:

Mordere is the new phantom this update. They are largely different from past phantoms in that they are ranged units.
They can only attack enemies that are 2 squares away from them. They cannot counter attack, nor can they attack units that are 1 square away from them.
They also cannot wear any equipment except a head armor piece.

Lastly there are the lvl 4 thieves and Garum, who is identical from the last fight.

The objective is a filthy liar. Filthy filthy liar. You actually have to completely annihilate every enemy on the map. Not just the enemy humans.

Well poo poo, you guys. This may be the hardest fight yet. But don't worry we can pull this off. I have the FIRE ARM!

Which I've left on Alana, and thusly I cannot equip it on Toxa...
Alright. Fine game. You win. I'll finally have to use Phantoms!
So I'll just create some Beheads of my own!

Actually, let's NOT do any of that silly Behead business. This is a Heroic Sacrifice, so we can't have anyone steal the spotlight.
Toxa charges towards the horde of Behead phantoms.

His loyal friend Doll Phantom, follows him in his last hours. What cameraderie.

But the Behead horde is too strong! Doll Phantom is the first to fall! Toxa will surely follow the fate of his friend.

The vile Shadow Behead viciously attacks Toxa with it's axe and he takes... No damage :goleft:

Okey, So what happened? I mean Toxa is a full level below these guys, That's just so unfair! He should be dead!
Well it's that 21 defense stat at work. Combined with the fact that the Phantoms are using weak weapons, with a terrain penalty
means that only two of the phantoms that is actually smart enough to wield swords, could concievably damage Toxa.
But I neutered them with my Doll Phantom and Toxa, bringing their hp down enough that they too deal 0 damage.
So now it's just clean up duty. Still the humans are quite troublesome as they can circumvent his defences with Kartia.
So I mean Toxa is still gonna die.

And now, it's just a matter of time before Toxa's end. Sure he can take some phantoms with him. But that won't really change things.

Except the Goddess of Exploding Death, shows up in the nick of time! Oh and Misty and Duran are there too I guess.

"It's party time!"

So Misty starts at lvl 1. From now on, expect new people to start at lvl 1.
Misty is objectively better than Ele in just about any stat worth anything.
She has higher equip rank and 3 Kartia Combo. Although her elemental defenses are abit worrying.
12 fire defense is a whole lot of nothing.
I failed to get a screen shot of the equipment I deck her out in. But I do give her something better.

I missed the explosion :(

Here is when things can get dangerious fast. If the thieves decide to gang up on one character it's very possible to get a game over.
Don't take thieves lightly.

A full barrage of attacks later from 2 thieves, Garum, and a Mordere later and Duran is in some serious trouble.

Worse still is that Misty gets a Stone spell in the face too.
I get this feeling that Toxa could be in trouble too!

Nah he is doing just fine.

He started at level 3.
But anyways the party is facing seriously trouble. It's time.
To let out a secret technique.

So whenever you get new text, the game would automatically update any possible combos of text that would result in a unique spell name.
So it would tell you about Fire Needle or Twist Thunder.
But that only happens if you have the "Grammar" for those spells.
Think of it like formulaes for spells.
Right now we only have Basic Grammar, but what I'm about to pull off is an Advanced Grammar spell.

You see, while I need the Advanced Grammar to see the combo for Chrysan Water, I don't need it to actually cast the spell.
So if I were to manually input the texts then I can still cast that spell.

Chrysan Water is a fairly good healing spell. It heals for 50 hp to each character in the cross shape. You can heal 5 people for 50 hp each.
For only 1 Mithril and 1 Silk. I decided to give it another Silk to +1 because why the hell not! More dakka!
This ofcourse also goes for equipment and Phantoms.

With my party now almost fully healed. (Duran is at 83) I take out a thief.

The AI priorities healing wounded humans it seems. I use that exploit by having Alanas phantoms wound this thief.
Garum then moves in to heal the thief.

The last thief, decides that right now he hates this phantom. Instead of going for Misty.

These Mordere can be quite annoying so Alana neuters this one. It has 2 hp left.

My phantom had wounded the thief and it was enough to make Garum heal him again.

Unfortunately my Shadow Miles, is about to hit the floor. Oh well

Alana and Toxa murders the thief, and Misty casts Glacier on Garum.
My lazyness rears it's ugly head and I don't gif the spell, because it's honestly visually boring.

It's time. Garum, I'm sick of your crap. You spam your heals, and create new phantoms all the time. You exist to only prolong an already long battle.
I banish you to the Shadow Realm.

The mission doesn't actually end here, because there is still that 2hp Mordere running around somewhere. So I have to clean up.
But for your sanity, let's just pretend it ends here.

"Alana is right. Thank you, Misty."
"I don't deserve this... But can I ask for a favor?"
"What is it?"
"Let me talk to Garum."
He is not dead. Merely unconcious! I hit him with the flat end of my exploding sword!

10 frigging turns. 3 of them were hunting down wounded Mordereds atleast. 14 dudes defeated, and 3 lost phantoms.
Just be glad I'm not summoning you. You'd probaly end up dead.

The Texts are "Cylinder" and "Intense". Both of them are Mithril. That's 3 new Mithrils this map.

Toxa Episode 6 Chapter 3 Epilogue
:siren:MUSIC:Ominous:siren:

Time to get some answers... Well for Misty to get some answers. We won't learn anything new we couldnt have deducted so far. But just in case I'll explain things.

The screen begins to pan away from the party.

Oh! An encrypter! This is what encrypters typically look like. I wonder what one of them is doing here.

Uh oh! That's a Fire Kartia. Those things are never good news.

The camera pans back to the party.

Last update, Misty was thinking about who could possibly want her dead. One of those people she thought about was Asty. Yes, surprise! Asty is Misty's sister.
Well with names like those, it seems kind of obvious doesn't it? The game also immediatedly shifts to Misty after Asty talks about wanting to kill her sister.
So the game isn't exactly subtle about it.

Several Fireballs appear from the sky. All of them hitting Garum.
All the explosions are mushroom clouds... Come on Japan.

Well if getting impaled by a giant rock or exploded by a sword didn't kill Garum. Then this surely did. Garum is officially dead. No coming back from this one.
Notable Characters dead: 1
Total Human casualties: 7 (3 thieves from last update, another 3 thieves this update and now Garum.
Should I keep a Phantom death tally too?

"From where?"
"There he is, Toxa!"

This could be alarming news, as Cross could potentially be an Encrypter. And you certainly don't want those against you.
Especially not since this one can throw nuke fireballs at us.

Toxa and Duran starts to chase, but Cross has already left.

"Who the hell is that guy? Was he one of the thieves?"
"I don't think so... He was dressed as an Encrypter"
"One thing is for sure, he is our enemy."
"That seems to be the case..."

Misty backs away from Garums corpse.

Fade out

:siren:MUSIC: Unknown Title VIII:siren:
From now on, thanks to EggsAisle, I'll be able to provide links to the tracks that weren't on the soundtrack disc. Unfortunately this means I don't know the titles of each track.
Thanks alot EggsAisle.

"Don't thank me..."
"But thanks to you, we were able to protect Mona."
"I just paid back what I owed you..."

What about when they took you hostage though? Duran even locked the door and turned of the light. Well I guess that's water under the bridge.

"You did more than that. We have to give you a chance. Don't we guys?"

Everyone nods

"Besides, you honorably used the chance Alana gave.
"That's nice of you to say... But I am a Rebel thief..."
"That was until yesterday... Today, You're Misty, the one who protected Mona and our comrades..."
Earlier I wrote that an indecernable amount of time had passed between this update and the last. Turns out it was a single day.

Toxa is secretly a Shounen Jump protagonist.
"I wish I was as simple-minded as you are."
"Ha, ha, ha! You can say that again!
"What was that!? Alana, you don't have to agree with her!"

"I don't think I'm worthy, but... I will join your group."

Toxa produces a mug, and so does Alana.

Party time! :woop:

My browser kind of crapped out on me a bit here so I lost some progress. I'm kind of upset at this as I was almost done writing the update. Just venting some frustration here. :argh:

I'm gonna cut this short so here is the condenced version of the last part of this scene.
Count Shinon "Nope, go to your room."
":argh:"

Fade out

The music stops here.

:siren:MUSIC: Unknown Title XV:siren:

Aw nuts, I have to make a portrait of this guy? I... really don't want to look at that face more than I have to. Let's just.. err bold his name shall we?

Zakuro "Ah, so your mission with the Druid didn't go as planned."
"You soldiers don't need to know suck details"
You'll be selling me bridges, before you convince me this thing is a soldier.

About time some action took place somewhere else from the Shinon estate.
Zakuro "Cross is the one who gave the order. I can finally get my revenge..."
Interesting. Though we have never fought this guy before. I wonder who he wants revenge against. Hmm...
"Do you think you can win?"

"I guess..."

Zakuro is refering to Misty's failure to move Mona to a safe place. Not how Akueldo wants her dead. (Or rather how Asty wants her dead)

After a moment of doubt, Misty moves towards Duran.

Episode 6 Chapter 3 Epilogue End.

Kinda rushed through the last bit there, because I wanted to be done. Seriously, just looking at Zakuro gives me mild nausea.
R.I.P Doll Phantom. You only lived to lvl 2.

Party Status
Toxa Lvl 5
Alana Lvl 4
Duran Lvl 4
Misty lvl 2
Ele banished to her room.

Phantoms
1 Kyau
2 Common Miles

Dead Humans: 7
Notables Dead: Garum.

Next time. The first crossing point in the game. Meaning we will see some new faces from Lacryma's story. And boy do I hate the next mission.

Sazero fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 24, 2015

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Toxa is why I never made it very far in this game. I wasn't about to muddle through an arcane creation system just to have that guy as the protagonist.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh boy, now we've got ranged units. Tactics begin to emerge.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Yeah, none of the unreleased tracks have names, at least not to my knowledge. They might exist somewhere in Japanese, but I can't read a word of the language. :shrug:

So here's a thing you might not have known: besides raising and lowering the ground, using Quake magic on certain tiles can uncover buried treasure! 90% of the time it's fluff like middling equipment or extra Kartia, but you can occasionally find more interesting fare. It's not at all randomized, so the same stuff is always located in the same place if you know where to look. Without spoiling too much, let's just say that the game pulls a few mild dick moves around this feature. Just thought you might want to know.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I had planned to talk more about terrain advantages, weapons and Quake, but wanted to bring it up in a place where it was worth showing up.
I also knew about that you could get Kartia from destroying the ground. You don't need to use Quake to get the items from the ground. You can use Fire too. Usually there is something hidden on the flower textures and such.
Typically it's just Silk or Mithril Kartia though. I didn't expect equipment though, and if that is the case, probaly also Texts... That makes me very unhappy, because now I'll have to literally dig throughout the entire game for stuff. *sigh*

I really wish they did more with Quake, since it actually makes the game stand out from other games in it's genre.

Also I just want to reiterate. I really hate the next map. Just... UGH.

AltaBrown posted:

Toxa is why I never made it very far in this game. I wasn't about to muddle through an arcane creation system just to have that guy as the protagonist.

I don't really see the problem with Toxa. He may do some... questionable things later on, if I remember correctly. But it's not like he is insufferable.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Sazero posted:

That makes me very unhappy, because now I'll have to literally dig throughout the entire game for stuff. *sigh*

gently caress that. There are only a few places with unique/really interesting stuff (viz., Text): for Toxa's quest, I think it's Chapters 8 and 18. Possibly Chapter 15 too, but I can't clearly remember, it's been ages since I played Toxa's scenario.

Also, a word of advice if you're trying for completionist run: wait until Lacryma's quest. I'm 99% sure it can't be done in Toxa's

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

EggsAisle posted:

gently caress that. There are only a few places with unique/really interesting stuff (viz., Text): for Toxa's quest, I think it's Chapters 8 and 18. Possibly Chapter 15 too, but I can't clearly remember, it's been ages since I played Toxa's scenario.

Also, a word of advice if you're trying for completionist run: wait until Lacryma's quest. I'm 99% sure it can't be done in Toxa's

Wait what. Seriously? A frigging Text on Toxa's Final Mission? I have no words. This is so much dickery! I love it.
I'll be grabbing everything that can be grabbed in each characters scenario. Even if You can't get every Text in Toxa's campain.

Also for everyone else. Get your popcorn ready, because I'll be doing an update later today and the plot is gonna start to thicken.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Toxa Episode 7 Chapter 4

What is misleading here is that Vigilance is about to be attacked, it hasn't actually been attacked yet.

Well, first they set you on fire, then took you hostage. But hey, I'm sure they mean well

Misty's situation is kind of screwed either way. If she openly works against Akueldo, she'll be labelled a traitor and can never come back.
But if she does nothing, She will have a target painted on her back forever.
And if she openly attacks Asty, she'll be painted as a traitor aswell.
Even if she finds the truth and potentially, evidence about Asty's plans to murder her,
Misty has still worked against Akueldo.
In this case it's going to become an issue of the needs of an individual vs the needs of the group.
She really doesn't have a choice but to give up on ever returning to Akueldo.
It certainly isn't fair, but that's life.

:siren:MUSIC:Feel Uneasy:siren:
Shinon Mansion

I'm kind of unsure what Toxa means here. There is possibly a Shrine with a World Tree in Kainas, but I don't know.

"Lacryma and Troy can't handle this alone. We have to go back, Duran!"
"Let me go with you! I owe you a lot. How long will it take to get to Vigilance Headquarters?"

Unlike traditional JRPGS, Toxa joins the party, and not the other way around.

"We'll be there by tomorow if we leave now. That's if we don't take any breaks..."
"We have to defeat the enemy!"

It occurs to me that Toxa is kind of generic. My first impression was a guy who were pretty capable and had some experience.
But with these increasingly generic lines, I feel that my estimation was wrong.

"Don't we have to tell Count Shinon? He just left the estate and he will not be back until the end of the day."
If this were the real world, then Toxa running off to fight in Kainas, would endanger his employment to Count Shinon.
But then again, we can't create sour tangerines from paper anyways so maybe the comparison doesn't fit.

Maybe it was a bad idea to start sneaking around in a bright yellow and purple outfit. Oh and Ele is only there for a split second. Made it kind of annoying to screen cap.

"We don't have any time to waste. We have to go, Duran!"

Ofcourse the bored teen with independance issues, is gonna break the rules and sneak away with us.

So after spending time, fighting off Garum, the party then proceeds to patrol Shinon estate.
Misty learns of the attack, tells everyone and they then all rush to Kainas.
Long day at work today. Must be Monday.

"We got here too late!"

I'm starting to feel that even though Ele is a talentless teenager, she would still be a better protagonist than Toxa.

In the land of REBUS, God was too lazy to give everyone a unique "Surprised" expression. So he just copy pasted it. Even the stance is the same.

You know an oppertunist would grab Ele along, blame her for running off to Kainas and then keep their job, when Count Shinon starts asking questions as to where his drat guard is.
But Toxa is a Knight, who are pure and bla bla bla.

"That is not the issue! Please return to the estate at once."
"No!"
"This is great!"
"Since she came all the way here, let her do something."
"There you go! Listen to Alana"

I'm pretty sure this is violating several child labour laws.

"We came here to protect them, not you. Stop trying to be the hero."
"I am not trying to be a hero!"
"This is not the time to be arguing! We have to come up with a plan!"
"Very well... Miss Ele, please be carefull..."
"I'll be fine. Let's go, Alana!"

Wait what? What do you mean, "Let's go, Alana"? Isn't she coming with my group? Couldn't Duran go to the Shrine?!

And so the Fire Arm leaves.
So my exploding sword leaves my party yet again. Never give valuables to women, kids! They just run off with them. :(

"Yes, I am ready..."

The party runs over the edge of the world. Never to be seen again down the cliff

:siren:MUSIC: Lively Knight:siren:

Ugh, this woman is a rather unfortunate existance. But that's getting ahead of ourselves. For now just know that she indirectly the reason to why this mission has to end quickly.
She is ofcourse also a member of Vigilance.

This guy is Rimzan, leader of Vigilance. As such he pops up here and there. To borrow a term from Fire Emblem, he is our 'Jeigan'. A crutch character.
Ofcourse there aren't random stat gains in Kartia. But Rimzan is not a character we'll see often, so any experience he gains, might aswell be considered lost to the atheist afterlife.

It would seem that Rimzan is keeping himself on top of things. So he is not completely incompetent. The question is. Who is keeping him up to date? I can only speculate, but it isn't all that important regardless.
But it is somewhat important to note, as the members in Vigilance is only in the single digits. And as such, they only have limited manpower.

"I am Toxa... The sword that smites evil! Allow me to give a hand, sir!"
"I will accept your offer!"
"Duran! There are thieves at the Shrine also!"
"Go to the Shrine. I'm concerned about Lacryma."
"I sent Alana there. No need to worry."

I'm still not liking this idea of not having my exploding sword. I'm very attached to that thing. :colbert:

:siren:Music: Unknown Title XIII
Meanwhile, slightly down the street.

"I havn't seen you in a while, sister. Or should I call you traitor..."
"I'm not a traitor..."
"Really? Then who is responsible for Mona's escape?"
"Garum I..."
"Lord Vandor saved our lives and this is how you repay him? I don't care if you're my sister.
"Your treachery is unforgiveable."

Okey, so now that we know how Asty and Misty interact, how can Misty have any doubt that Asty wants her dead. Likewise she should honestly also know why.
This is a case of where characters have questions they already know answers to, because the players need insight into what is going on. I mean I could understand it, if Asty
had more subtleness than holding a neon sign saying "Hey I'm a traitorous bitch"

"I believe it's more important to bring the Text to Lord Vandor."
"I guess you're right..."
"Good bye sister. We will continue this the next time we meet..."
"Asty!"

I'm guessing Asty isn't half as dumb as you'd expect, considering she doesn't believe the the mission to destroy Vigilance is going to succeed.
I mean, why else would she expect to meet Misty later on? Also, I expected more from Misty. Murdereous rage? A more fierce approach?

Alright, let's get this show on the road. All these words makes me kind of bloodthirsty, and if you think the lack of an exploding sword of death is gonna stop me from painting
the village walls red with blood, then you're the wrongest person in the universe of being wrong.
:black101:

So while we were in the loading screen. Posha (yes that's her name. And it's not even the stupidest or most french part of her name either) managed to get herself surrounded by 5 Beheads.

Ah, but ofcourse... So this is Posha at level 2. She is actually WORSE than Ele, despite being a member of Vigilance, and has been for quite some time.
POSHA :argh:

It's kind of hard to see, because I sometimes make bad screenshots.
Anyways that's two thieves and 6 Morderes on the opposite side of Posha.
Needless to say, Posha is in incredible danger.

On the opposite side of our main group, is another 3 Mordere and a thief.
Summasummarum. Hella lot of dudes. (ignore my phantoms for now.)
There are also 3 chests and various pots and crates around.

Alright, so there are several things we need to do. But first of all, we take away this girls, clothes and give her something that doesn't completely suck.
In this case, I created some Ogre armor and gave her a Dark Katana. Ogre armor made by picking the E rank Leather items and adding "Goblin" Text to them.
Ogre armor decreases damage from a specific type of phantoms by 5. So since Posha has a full set. She takes -5 damage from all phantom types.

Next up is Rimzan who... Woah. Well okey. So Rimzan is lvl 10 and is ofcourse our crutch character, He has massive elemental defenses and a beastly equip rank.
(The highest to my knowledge is A so he can wield the best equipment in the game) His armor is nothing special, but that Zweihander +2 is actually a completely unique weapon.
I mean, we can make Zweihanders later on ourselves and we can get them to +2 aswell I believe. But even if we made a Zweihander +2 ourselves it would be weaker than Rimzan's Zweihander...
Anyways I don't need any drat cruches. Even if my legs were broken, I'd just transport myself via handstands and stubborness.
So I take Rimzan's weapon and give him an Iron Sword. Trust me He doesn't need his weapon.
Ofcourse the Zweihander is an A rank weapon. But we'll use it sooner or later.

Anyways the game has a ton of dudes. So I make a ton of dudes myself. I could make Mordere's but those actually cost me a Mithril to create now.
And I have... Plans for my Mithril. So I'm gonna hoard it a little bit. Beheads can be made entirely with Silk. I also I didn't show case the last missions Arena item. So let's have a double
showing this time around.

First off is the Athena Helmet.
Not only is it a respectable defensive boosting item, but it also increases all elemental defenses by 5. Nice.
The last item, I didn't get a screenshot off because I don't care much for phantoms. But it's the Behead Armor.
It gives a nice defensive boost too. But it also increases XP gain for that Behead, by 50%. Woah. I gave it to a Shadow Behead.

And that is the mission objective. But there is so much to do this mission.
First off we have to get Posha out of her dire situation. This means we'll be fighting on two fronts.
Secondly we have to grab all the stuff that's in the area. There are 3 chests and 4 crates/pots of stuff.
Also I completely forgot to mention that Rimzan takes over control of Alana's phantoms, but he himself only has 2 Kartia Combo. So I only have him create a few Kyau.
Finally, before you think this is gonna be a slog... I finish this in 4 turns. Let's just say that *heh* something big happens.

Since my mission success is largely determined by Posha's initial safety, I'll focus on getting her out of her shituation. Shituation is now a word.

Even if both Shadow Beheads, were neutered by my Doll Phantoms. They're still in the way. Unfortunately this is the best screenshot I can get of the action here.
This is largely due to how the game handles the camera. Every map has a default camera position.
When you cast Kartia, the game dims the screen and rotates the camera until it hits the default position.
You can sometimes get the game to flip out and rotate much more or less than it normally should.

Rimzan doesnt actually do anything here. I just move him down to serve as a block for Posha. The way I've
positioned my units, only a single Behead can actually hit Posha. As weak as she is, she can still survive a few hits.
But if 3 or 4 Beheads attacked her, she'd be in real trouble. Posha also have a height advantage, and every Behead
is wielding swords. So she takes even less damage than normal. She is as safe as she can get at this moment.

Meanwhile, in the other front. I engage with my two front Shadow Beheads. I also equip them with spear weapons.
This way, they'll get the terrain bonus and deal full damage.

Ugh... This camera sometimes. I swear. Here let me make up for it.

The two previously wounded Morderes die. Misty get's 87xp. Not quite enough to level up.

So let's talk a little about XP gains. See you get a predetermined amount of XP depending on what happens.
You get 10 xp every time you hit an opponent. 37 when you kill something. So when you use area of effect Kartia's and hit alot of dudes.
You get a ton more XP per turn, than if you simply had everyone run around and hit things once per turn.

Basically not only does Kartia let you go through missions faster, you also become stronger faster.
Kartia is also the best way to open up combat on an unwounded opponent due to how physical damage works.
What I'm trying to say here is that Kartia is really, really good. Which I guess is fitting in a game about Kartia.
It's not that physically attacking is bad, but rather that Kartia is just so much better. Ofcourse there is a price to pay for power.
But the game gives you plenty of money to pay for that power.

This is also what makes Phantoms value in the game weaker.
Phantoms can only physically attack. The only thing Phantoms can do, that humans can't is attack indirectly with physical damage.
This is why the game would have benefited greatly from units having skills or abilites, that would allow them to do other things than simply attack.
There are a ton of things you could have phantoms do, that are weaker than Kartia effects, and either be free or cost a non Kartia resource.
This also makes the early phantoms you get, still viable for later game, where you might need them for their abilities alone.

But this is getting out of hand. back to the regularly schedules childrens card game.

Toxa is already at a secure level. Misty needs to get caught up, so he is on item get duty.
No, I don't appreciate spending 1 silk to get 3 more, when I have 120 Silk. Come on game. Silk is no longer a reward.

This is the "Big" Text. Any of you Swahili speakers know if this is translated properly?
Anyways with this Text, I'm shaking with power.

THIS CAMERA

If a character doesn't flinch then they don't get hit. :eng101:

Woah, a non Fire spell. Well I'm not using Fire because I want to watch the world burn. It's strategically better to set things on fire, than blow it away.
(Unless you're up against an immortal villain, then send those suckers flying into space.)

So fun fact, I set myself the goal of gif'ing every spell this mission. Unfortunately Fire Needle didn't pan out.
But the next one is gonna be a "Big" one.

Anyways, this is just the calm before the oncoming storm that is my hateful fury of all things Phantom.
Yes, Posha only took that little damage.

Fire Needle is a reverse sky laser. I then feed the thief kill to my Shadow Behead with the Behead armor. I honestly should have given it to Misty.
I kind of want to level up a Behead, now that I've got some armor for it. It'll probaly die down the road though.

Some more Force Wind. Kills one of the Doll Phantoms. It even hit my Kyau.

I. Noooooo. :qq: My vengeance shall be furious. Mark my words! :argh:

IT'S TIME. Plume of the battlefield, Let unto me thy power yield! Oh wait, wrong game. :getin:

gently caress your sky dragons. I have Kartia to slam the moon into your face. Or is it just a weird eye ball... thing? I don't have the slightest clue.
Either way you all fail your saving throws automatically. Get out of this LP right now.

I am DONE with this mission. You have so many dudes. You are spread out so far. Posha starts off in the worst position I have ever seen.
And don't think for a second that I forgot, you made me waste 3 turns last mission. Chasing down loving Mordere assholes, that spend their turns doing nothing but run away.

Alright so, to cast Wide Quake, you need the "Big" Text we got this mission. It has a MASSIVE range. Deals 50 damage.
Later on it's gonna drop in effectivety, but right now I can flip these assholes off with it so yeah, that's what I'm gonna do.
This is also why it only takes me 4 turns to end this mission. :D. Posha gets the killing blow on the whole group except one of the thieves.
She gets a total of :siren:2 LEVELS AND 40xp :siren: With one spell.

So fun fact. There are 4 elements in the game, but only 4 types of phantoms. Common are weak to Fire. Shadows to Wind and Dolls to Water.
Then logically Humans would be strong to Earth right? Nope.
Human elemental defenses can vary, but they are typically stronger against Wind and Water, and less so Earth and Fire.
So every enemy unit so far shares a single element as a weakness. Incidentally it's the same element with the largest hit area.

Now, before you think I'm gonna go total mad with power, note that Wide Quake costs 1 Mithril to cast. So this little skirmish cost me 3 Mithril to do.
Compare that to the 3 Mordere I could create and... yeah Wide Quake winds out by a large margin, because as I'm repeteadly saying, phantoms suck.
And they quickly grow outdated.

So a single thief and two Mordere survived. For all intents and purposes this mission is over. I'm only keeping these buttdonkeys alive so I can grab the last loot.
Of note is the "Unique Axe" in one of the chests. It's a terrible weapon. It's unique effect is that it restores 2hp when you attack.

This says "Lightning" It's a Mithril Text. One of the thieves we defeated earlier also gave us a "Tough" Mithril Text.
Combined with the "Big" Mithril Text, We could have missed out on 3 Mithril Texts.
Anyways I collect the last crap and kill the thief, ending the mission.

"How's Lacryma at the Shrine? Are they alright over there?"
"I guess their battle is over now."
"She is the best warrior in the group"

Toxa means Alana. Not Lacryma. Because how could he refer to a person he has never seen fight?

"No, the best warrior is Lacryma."

Listen Posha, it's bad form to post such things on the forum. We don't want none of your fan girl kind here.

"There is a warrior stronger than Alana?"
I'm kind of in disbelief too. I mean, not to rack on Lacryma, but she doesn't have an exploding sword. (Atleast I think so.)
But I guess that's not really Alana's strength. She was just lucky I gave her a really good weapon.

"You'll meet her soon. Let's get back to the group."
"OK."

Oh so it were 5 turns. Still 17 frigging dudes? drat. Atleast I only lost 3 Phantoms. So I'm becoming a better pokeymans trainer.

See when the game gives me 40 Silk when I already have 93. Then I'll just take that as encouragement to use more Kartia. Which I almost can't really.
I think I can count on one hand, how many times I've physically attacked with a Human.
The Texts are "Long" and "Breath". They're both Silk Kartia. The gap in my Kartia list, kind of worry me. It makes me think I might have missed a Text somewhere.

Epilogue
This is a really long epilogue you guys.

I can see why you wouldn't want to talk about Misty. But there is no reason not to tell Vigilance, that
the thieves were kidnapping a Druid. It could give insight into what the thieves were trying to do.

Unless Toxa was being clever and withheld information because Vigilance could have spies.
But I think that line of thought should be credited to either Duran or Alana. The less people who know
about who saved Mona. The less likely they are to find her. After all. All the thieves who were part of the escorting
mission are either dead, or working for us.

Why yes I did just convince myself of something different. No I'm not crazy.
:colbert:

Well okey, with such a small group, it would be pretty easy to figure out any potential thieves. So now there is even less
reason not to tell everyone about Mona.

Yes I just reconvinced myself. No wait, don't run away. I'm not dangerous! :sigh:

Correction, they attempt to protect the town by themselves, but things almost went wrong if Toxa, Duran and Misty hadn't shown up.
I really can't see Posha surviving that skirmish, Rimzan could probaly fight off the whole group by himself, because he is effectually immortal.

:siren:Music: Unknown Track XIV:siren:

Lying isn't really Alana's strong suit. Also wouldn't Misty be a Swordswoman?

"My name is Misty. It is an honour to meet all of you."
"She accidentally wandered into Count Shinon's estate when she got lost..."
"If we didn't meet her, we probaly wouldn't be here."

Duran is trying to sell Misty as Zoro. It is appearently a common trait in Swords(wo)men to have terrible navigational skills.

So this is the infamous Troy.

So like I keep saying. Encrypters are wizards, and Troy is a pretty badass wizard if memory serves.
In all of Vigilance Alana is the only one who can come close to him in terms of Kartia.
Alana is cooler because she wears a cape though.

"Thanks..."

Posha Saint-Amour..... So what? Fancy Holy-Love in French? Well I guess Posh is from UK, but still.
Or is "love" Armour? Well I don't frigging know. If anyone is fluent in French, do feel free to let this filthy savage know.

"Her parents forced her to join Vigilance when she was sixteen. Poor girl..."
"Troy... Can't you introduce us in a normal way?"
"I make it a priority to tell the truth."

"Posha, don't take Troy seriously, okey?"

Alana leaves the group and go talks to someone less unpleasant.
If this was meta-commentary on how players would view someone as weak as Posha appears to be, then that would be incredible.

"Troy, I think Posha did her best."
"Then I don't think her best was good enough."
"She fought bravely..."
"However, her skills are not good enough to be considered a member of Vigilance."
I have my own idea of Troy, but I'll just let you guys form your own opinion of him. He certainly makes the game more interesting.

Troy leaves the group and goes somewhere else
There is a difference between acknowledging you're bad at something and then completely giving up. This is the latter, and it's always bad.

"What a gentleman... Is he really a member of Vigilance."
"That is his personality. He was like that from the beginning."

Lacryma, tired of listening to Toxa's stories about being a guard, moves up to Misty and Duran.

"Yes..."
"I'm Lacryma. Thank you for protecting the town from the thieves."
"I didn't do much..."
"Lacryma, I'm thinking of letting her join us."
"I think that's fantastic. Misty, please join us."
"But, I..."
"No need to be concerned, You will be of great help."

----

Epilogue to be continued...

Right so we've met a few new characters and the update is getting rather long. It's quite possible you guys are getting tired of reading things already.
So I'm gonna do an update tomorow with the last bit of the epilogue, because that's were the plot will move forward. I don't want to overload people with all this new information.

Sazero fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 11, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. Area magic seems like a pretty good way to powerlevel humans.

Does it have friendly fire?

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

There is no friendly fire at all in the game actually.
You can't hurt your own dudes, and the enemy cannot hurt their guys.
You can't heal the enemy either and vice versa.

Wide Quake will fall off later in the game as it only deals a base 50 damage, so as enemies level up it will quickly become obsolete.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Toxa Episode 7 Chapter 4 pt.2

:siren:Music:Unknown Title XIV

So last, we had just fought of the Akueldo attack on Vigilance in Kainas. Troy got introduced to everyone and boy is he a character.
Time to figure out what to do next.

"Yes, sir!"
"Toxa and Misty, will you join us?"
"Not at all, sir!"
"Sure..."

Actually Toxa WILL be joining the meeting, so I don't know why he is declining here.

"They will talk about getting the thieves. Either the Knights will do it or we will."
"It's too dangerous to go after the thieves, isn't it?"
"Don't worry. Nothing has been decided yet."

On the opposite side of the room, Ele have more pressing concerns.

Ele doesn't wan't to create it herself, as it would just be sour water. :v:

"Yes you! Aren't you a servant?"
"I am a trainee. I'm also a member of Vigilance."

I wonder what Kun's name is in the japanese version of the game. Is it the same?
How would that even work out with their honorifics? Kun-kun? :v:
Also look at his face. He has the most "what" face I've ever seen.

"This isn't a training excercise. Besides I don't think it's our job."
"Then who exactly is going to take over?"
"People with no brains, like you!"
"I don't think we're going to get along..."

The game actually spells out the contraction we're to were. But for the sake of less confusion I'll just correct it.

"I don't kiss up to others to make friends."

"Exactly... Lacryma, what do you think?"
"This is a great opportunity to regulate criminal activity."
"Duran?"
"I agree with Lacryma, but I think we should get assistance from the Knights."

Yeah, lets go get help from the military while they are fighting a rebellion. Good job fantasy police.

"That sounds great, but we also have to be pragmatic here."
"We can send a million troops out, but if we can't find them, that's just plain stupid."
"But we do know! Misty knows where the fortress of the thieves is."
"That's great!"

"Oh really..."

:stare: Holy poo poo Amano, what did you do? LOOK AT THAT! That's it. LP over. I can't deal with this.

"If you say so..."
"Very well... I guess everyone is for controlling the activities of thieves except for Troy."
"Alright, I'm in. However I'm not responsible for whatever happens."
"We will leave here tomorow at noon. Be prepared"
"Duran's group, Lacryma's group and the Knights will execute the operation."
"Any questions?"
"How do you want to divide our numbers?"
"I'll take care of it tomorow morning. Any other questions? No? Then the meeting's over."
"Duran, Toxa and Misty stay here."

Lacryma leaves

"I recommend that you leave Posha out of this operation."
"For what reason?"
"She is not a warrior.."
"She may not be a fighter, but she has a medical license. That is reason enough."
"Then I request that Posha be placed on Duran's team."
"You just don't like her, do you?"
"Posha can be a distraction to Lacryma. We can't afford to make mistakes during this operation."
"I know Lacryma cares about Posha... But I don't think it's a good idea to make decisions behind her back."
"I agree with Duran. She should make that decision on her own."
"It is obvious that Lacryma will be opposed to the idea."

Not even halfway through yet folks. There is alot of things getting talked about this last bit of chapter 4.

Back in the hall.
:siren:Music: Vigilance Committee

"What are you talking about? You helped save the town."
"That's because Duran and Rimzan were there. I'd be..."

"Is it a big operation?"
"Yes, but the first thing we'll do is scout out their location."

"How did you find out where the thieves are hiding?"
"Misty seems to know the place..."
"I see."
"Wait a minute. Please explain..."
"We'll be taking alot of risks on this operation."
"Whoever is reluctant can leave now..."
"Count me in! I have no problem getting those thieves!"
"This operation is going to take place on Shinon territory. Of course I'll go!"

"y,yes ma'am... I'll go..."

Back in the meeting room
:siren:Music: Unknown Title XIV

"That's a lot"
"That's not a lot. We can still handle them. Think positive or else we lose."
"The Knights will be the main force and we will back them up."
"We don't have enough people who can create Phantoms..."

Bachstail just comes in wtihout knocking. Kind of a rude dude.

"Bachstail!?"
"I'll be staying with you for a while."
"Bachstail!? Where were you all this time?"
"In Pales... It's a great place for a person like me..."
"Are you part of Vigilance?"

:stare: Could Amano be the originator of the derp faces you see nowadays? Look at that. drat

"Did you see Lacryma?"
"Yeah, just now. She hasn't changed a bit."
"Yes, she did... And it's your fault."
"Look, it was a mutual agreement..."
"What do you want from us!? You'll only cause..."
"Duran, don't be so hard on him. He is still our friend."

Like I could keep using that Rimzan smile face for the rest of this update...

"But..."
"Do you need any help, Rimzan? If you're going to defeat the thieves, I bet you need more people."
"Will you help us?"
"Actually, I'm back for that same reason, I want to join Vigilance again."

Let's summarize. Vigilance will attack the thieves with the help of the Knights. Misty tells them that there are a total of 7 hideouts.
Just as Duran notes they don't have enough people who can create Phantoms, Bachstail appears.
A guy who is connected to Lacryma and a person Duran isn't particularly fond of.

Let's go check out how Akueldo is doing.

So it seems the regent of Idorus is working together with Akueldo. That could explain how the "thieves" were so well equipped with Kartia.
Remember, most of our Text's were obtained from these thieves and they've always been a step forward in regards to Phantoms.
Unfortunately for them, they were storing most of the Texts in chests and pots instead of using it themselves.

However the relationship between Akueldo and Idorus seem to be rather weak as Lord Vandor doesn't trust Idorus to get him
the Texts he needs. But brute forcing things have a way of making noise and attracting unwanted attention.
What really seems stupid is that they were going for a covert op. And then decide to just blatantly attack a village.
They succeeded in getting the Text sure, but now Vigilance is aware of something being wrong.

"It's hard to believe that Misty has betrayed..."
"It's a fact. She has hindered our plans twice."
"As her sibling, I should take care of her. Permission to terminate Misty, sir!"
"You have my permission, Asty..."
"Thank you very much, sir."

"Vandor, do as you please..."
"Go to Idorus and control the thieves. You'll know what to do."
"Yes, sir."
"Go, Karis."
"I'll do my best to meet your expectations, sir."

Lord Vandor and Raguruzet leaves

"Ladies are always welcome. I am Cross and she is Asty."
"How long have you been in Akueldo, Karis?"
"It will soon be half a year."
"Six months? Lord Vandor is a real sucker for women."

Asty leaves

"All the people here are twisted in some way..."
"By the way, what was that thing you gave to Vandor?"
"Half of the text that will allow us to create humans"

Seriously? Half the text to create humans via Kartia? Listen creating humans aren't hard. Hell, you can do it by accident.

"To create a new type of Phantom, maybe?"
"We are talking about a man who thinks he can create God..."

Again let's summarize what we know so far.
Akueldo is trying to create Eden and/or God?
In order to do so, they apparently need to create Humans.
But there are plenty of Humans around, so what gives?

The best question however is, why would they spend time trying to create God/Eden?
And what about that Bachstail character? What is his deal?
I'm sure we'll find out later.

Toxa Episode 7 Chapter 4 Epilogue End.

Next time, we'll be starting a new game and play Lacryma's part. So Toxa will be taking a break.

Sazero fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 24, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Look, given the formula hacking you're doing all the time, if you had a "human" combination Kartia you could probably toss in a bunch of adjectives and get pretty close to God.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

It could be argued that since God is perfect and encompases everything, you'd need every Text at once to create him/her/it/shut up feminists. That's... err a pretty high Kartia stat you'd need to pull that off.
A stat so high it could be argued that you'd need to be God.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I prefer Lacryma's scenario to Toxa's, actually. The characters have better chemistry, for lack of a better word. From this bit alone, you can deduce that Lacryma is serious and plays it straight, Kun is perpetually baffled, Troy is the abrasive goon... things are bound to get interesting with a bunch like that (and they do.) By contrast, Toxa is impulsive and :downs:, Duran was apparently created from the 'Xanax' kartia, Misty's self-pity is all she ever thinks about, etc. I like Alana the best, she seems less gimmicky. But Amano's art for her is possibly my favorite in the game, so I'm probably biased.

Posha Saint-Amour just means "Posha Saint-Love". Some French people do have St-_________ last names, but they're usually, well, saints. I'm not sure what they were going for here, probably just gratuitous French.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

How could you forget about Ele?

As for the art itself, I think Rimzan's smiling mug is the best. :colbert:

Posha is the character I can connect best with and is probaly the most realistic of the characters so far.
I hold no grand illusions about my martial art skills. If some rear end in a top hat is mugging me, I'd drop everything I own, tell them my pin number and where I buried my pirate treasure.
So I think it's kind of refreshing to have a character who does not excel at combat, be all "Hey woah, fighting is actually hella dangerous, I'm also really bad at it. Maybe I should just, not?"

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I didn't mention Ele because of a mild gameplay/plot spoiler: She joins Lacryma's party after this chapter and stays in it for the rest of the game. She's kind of a more intelligent, but not really more mature Toxa. The funny thing is that I've been marathoning the White Knight Chronicles thread, and wow. The difference in writing quality really hits you in the face. I'm not just saying that because I like Kartia, pretty much any game looks well-written next to WKC. Just... goddamn. Stuff actually happens in this game (although the early chapters are sort of slow. Especially Lacryma's.)

I like almost all of Amano's art, even the weird crap. If nothing else, it's always been really memorable to me. Even if some of the characters are undeniably strange-looking. Maybe I'll buy a Zakuro avatar....

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Speaking as someone who loves Yoshitaka Amano's artwork, he is ripping himself the HELL off in this game. Like, usually, he makes his character designs look distinct from work to work, but the first thing I thought upon seeing the US cover was "Is that FF6's Tina/ Terra?" and multiple other character portraits look like FF6 characters with the registry numbers filed off. Rimzan is Cayenne, Rarguzet is Kefka, Karis is like Half Gogo, Duran is Edgar, etc. etc. etc.

It's like he was explicitly told by Atlus to make the characters look as much like FF6 as he could.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

You make it sound like ripping off FF6 is a bad thing. You're right though.
I didn't really notice it until I saw Karis.

I made the connection between Karis and Gogo. But I somehow forgot Amano was the designer for both games, even though I wrote it in the OP.
:downs:

Still, I guess it could largely be due to Kartia and FF6 share a similar setting. FF6 has Magitech/Steampunkish medieval and Kartia has... hmm well that would be spoilers.
It's also possible that Kartia was the next game Amano worked on after FF6.

I'm way to lazy to look any of this up. I'm also a fan of other people doing my work, so if there is an interest for it. Feel free to make an info post about Amano.
Though try to keep the creepy stuff out. I have enough trouble sleeping as it is.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Lacryma/Terra resemblance is really hard to miss, though. Here's Amano's drawing of Terra:

There really isn't any significant difference between that portrait and Lacryma's image on the game cover. If I didn't know better, I'd think they were the same character.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

So last time, we were planning to go fight some thieves or whatever. But you know? I feel like we're missing something.
So let's go back in time. Back before I crushed several phantoms and a pair of thieves into the ground with several large area earth Kartia spells.
Back before Garum got nuked several times by a mysterious CROSS dresser.
Way way back before Misty started sulking and Alana exploding several victims with her sword.
In fact, I'd say we have to go further back than the start of Chapter 1 of Toxa's story.

It's prequel Lacryma time!.

Lacryma Episode 2 Attack of the Clones Chapter 1

Figures of course that the religious protagonist's surname has CHRIST in it.
Anyways we've already seen the opening and the text crawl so I'll just spare you that.
I still had to suffer through it though. I'm kind of getting vindictive about that.

Yep, it's still 1034. Such a classic year.

Except... This is new. Hmm. Nordia is, if you remember, the country where there will be a rebellion later on.

This actually takes place before the intro in Toxa's story.

As evidenced here.

"Is everything ready for Mona?"
"The Cardinal will tell you what to do."
"Meaning, once we're out of Pentagram, we're on our own."
"You have to understand what kind of situation he is in."
"We don't know when he will switch sides."
"However it's not wise to turn on him yet."
"We're using him as long as he is of value?"
"That's correct."

Okey, so we have Idorus, Nordia and... Cross Land... Really? That just sounds kind of half assed to me. Like this LP! :v:

"We can't move our soldiers"
"Don't tell me you're going to use the thieves instead!"
"The Knights of the Allied Forces are heading toward Nordia. While security is low, the thieves will be fine."
"Mona is the key to Eden. Her security is of the top priority."
"If you're still worried, then I'll assign one of my own."

If Mona's security was so darn important, then why did you only assign Misty to the job? It's not like Asty was doing anything at Akueldo base camp.

"No... I will assign Misty. Prepare yourself, Misty"
"Yes, sir..."

Misty leaves.

Sheesh, she still had that elipsis thing before getting betrayed by her sister. I'm kind of understanding why Asty is trying to kill her now.

"Misty knows how to deal with the thieves. I want you to go to Idorus and meet up with Cross."
"...Yes, my Lord."

Asty leaves.

"I thought you were raising them on behalf of your daughter."
"Don't be ridiculous... I'm going to have her retire."
"The rumor of the disease is true?"
"She won't tell anyone, but I know..."
"Do you remember the day you adopted them?"
"How could I forget that day?"
"It's been more than 10 years. Yet, I can recall that day."
"I feel the same way."

So there you have it. Vandor adopted Asty and Misty after their parents got murdered by the church.
Asty is appearently sick, which is why Vandor assigned the task of transporting Mona to Misty.
Asty percieves this as him loving her less than Misty. And this sets off the chain of events regarding Misty.
All based on a misunderstanding. Quite a bit of exposition so far. But wait, theres more.

"The results will come soon as long as we work together."
"The Eden Project is just a matter of time."

So Raguruzet is the mastermind behind creating Eden, and Vandor wants the :siren:Original:siren: "Human" Kartia.
I'll leave Eden on the back burner for a bit. But appearently there is an Original "Human" Kartia. That's a huge deal.
Original Kartias are super mega huge deals. Mona is currently carrying around the Original "Nothingness" Kartia.

Elves refer to Original Kartia's as Forbidden Kartia's. I'm sure there is no reason for that AT all.
Just to give an example of scale, the "Nothingness" Kartia is supposed to be able to wipe out all of existance.
So it's very possible that the "Human" Kartia can actually create a Human.

Raguruzet wizard-pours himself a drink

What I gather from this, is that there were a time, when people could only use World Tree Kartia. Since World Tree is expensive as all hell, only the privileged could have access to it.
If they could even use it. Raguruzet and Vandor is responsible for Kartia becoming more accessible, easier and cheaper to use. Sounds alot like industrialization to me.

Raguruzet pours himself another drink. Almost as if to make a point.

They also expanded upon the knowledge of Kartia, with the invention of Kartia. Of course we already know how religion takes to development and science.
Especially when it comes at a cost of the churches power.

Raguruzet creates another drink, to celebrate himself.

So can we really proclaim to be the good guys? We are fighting against the pioneers of Kartia.
People, who are without a doubt making the world a better place? Well, let's not forget it's also the same people
who kidnaps people and attacks villages in the name of :science:. So yeah, we still have the moral high ground.

Unknown Kartia? Not really sure, what is being refered to here though. It also seems like Vandor didn't get into this business with
the best interest of people in mind.

"What are you talking about, Vandor? Don't you see what we have accomplished? The result is obvious!"
"Mithril and Silk have freed us from depending on the World Tree. Rebus is entering a new era!"
"It's too early to be happy. Pentagram will send Inquirers to kill us. The war will begin with then."
"Inquirers. The most powerful hunters in Rebus. But that's why you're here."
"You can count on me."
"I've done all I can for now. All I can do is pray!"
"But you're an atheist."

"I'll set up the oppertunity for you to reunite with your daughter. That's my gift to you."
Raguruzet leaves
"I never asked for that..."

Right, so that's quite the exposition dump. We've learned quite a few things.
But anyways I'm expecting to be making shorter updates, because I'm not gonna spend 8-9 hours of my time in a row, transcribing text.
Doesn't mean I'm gonna update more often though. I really should be linking the music, but I'm just soooooooooo lazy. Besides it's not anything new.
So just pretend it's "Feel Uneasy" or "Ominous".

To be continued...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

This really does give us a lot of insight into what's happening in the other campaign. I forget if the reverse is true.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's an interesting angle on this. Kartia are now much easier to use, but it seems like they're still rather lacking in civilian applications.

Feldherren
Feb 21, 2011
Well, theoretically they've solved famine and drought, if only they can teach enough people to make tangerines and water. Though that changes the problem to transporting silk around rather than transporting food around.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Lacryma Episode 2 Chapter 1 Pt.2

Toxa had a similar screen when we started his campaign. Though his read "Record of Fake"
Coincidence? Probaly not.

Vigilance HQ - Meeting Room.

The game can be somewhat inconsistent with titles. Sometimes it says "Bishop Aile" and other times it's just "Aile"
Similar to how sometimes Duran is "Shrine Warrior Duran".

Aile "Lacryma, take care of everything while I'm gone."
"Please be careful."

Aile leaves.

"Yes sir. I will take care of Vigilance while you're gone."
"Great, Also, look after Posha as well."
"As you wish."

Lacryma kneels, after Rimzan leaves.

After praying to God, Lacryma views her duties as taken care of and goes back to her room to continue her research on the much elusive "Roastbeef" Kartia.

I still can't get over the fact that these, amulet things are actually Kartia. There isn't even any Text inscribed on it!

"What are you talking about? By the way, where is Rimzan?"
"On the way to Pentagram. He's guarding the Bishop."

If you don't remember, Pentagram Cathedral is where Akueldo kidnapped Mona from.
Since we are in Episode 2 properly, these events take place after Toxa's run in with Misty.

"By the way" counter: 3. I get that in this case Lacryma is just copying Troy, but come on. You'd think I wrote this dialogue.

"No rest for Lacryma until our leader returns. I respect you."
"Kissing my butt doesn't change anything. Why are you late?"

A swear word!? IN THE 1997'ies !? I... I can't... What the hell? It's not even "bleeped" out like in FF7. Though to be fair Barret probaly has a pretty foul mouth.
He does have a stereotype to fit into. Butt still. :v:

"Kartia exist to be used. Hence, a resource."

Why am I getting those hippy vibes again? Oh right 90'ies game.

"You're only serious when it relates to Karma."
"I want the Unlimited license by this year."
"That's higher than the Advanced license"
"Everyone's an Encrypter these days."
"I understand what you mean, but you're late. I want you to make it up by making Kartia."
"Yeah yeah... Whatever you say, boss lady."

Lacryma is a pretty harsh boss. Especially considering the nature of Vigilance as an organization.
What licenses are... Well Troy will explain them more a bit later, so let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

"If Pentagram has money, they should use it for Text research. This way, we'll have more Kartia"
"The World Tree is used for Kartia. What good will it do to lose the World Tree?"
"I think it's stupid to spend money on the World Tree."
"Our present life style is based on the power of Kartia."
"In the past, the World Tree was the only material used for Kartia."
"That was then. Now there are cheaper materials."
"Some Kartia can only be made with the World Tree."
"World Tree Kartia has nothing to do with everyday life. World Tree Kartia is impractical."

You take that back, you filthy liar. You take it back RIGHT NOW! World Tree Kartia is the strongest Kartia in the game. Stop being so wrong Troy. :colbert:

"People with no faith can't possibly comprehend."

Yes, just cut down all arguements because they're faithless. That's how people on the internet argue Lacryma, you're better than that.

"That's great."
"Why is that?"
"Rimzan is guarding the Bishop. Alana and Duran are gone. The Knights are also gone. With only the two of us..."
"Two? What about Posha?"
"I'm talking about people who can fight."
"Don't say that. Besides, fighting is not everything."
"When it comes down to fighting, she hinders us."
"Not true. I always make up for her mistakes."
"See? She's dragging us down."

What Troy doesn't know is that Kartia early game is super easy. Except for a certain aspect of Lacryma's second chapter.
Because gently caress the RNG gods. But that's also getting ahead of ourselves.

"Yes?"
"I'm looking for Vigilance Headquarters. Do you know where it is?"
"Yes I do. Why?"
"I'm looking for Chief Rimzan... Why do you ask?"
"You must be Kun, the new member of Vigilance."
"Why do you know my name? Are you a member?"
"Yes, My name is Posha. I'll take you to Headquarters."

"Rimzan told me that Vigilance work is very dangerous. I never knew a girl would be in Vigilance."
"...You're right."
"Huh?"
"I can't do anything right. I'm useless."
"Oh, I... I didn't... I didn't mean it that way."
"It's OK. I'm not good with a sword. I only have a beginner's license. I'm a burden to everyone."

:stare: drat Posha. Way to just barf up all your insecurities on a guy you havn't even known for 5 minutes. Holy poo poo. If this were a date, then these are the absolutely do not date flags. Just... Run. Run away and never look back, lest you find yourself stalked by a psycho. I've seen enough anime to know where this could lead.

The noise of people screaming can be heard

Lao "Help! Somebody help!"
"Mr. Lao, are you OK?"
Lao "Those drat Phantoms... They appeared and started to destroy my place."

Lao "Posha, I heard you are now a member of Vigilance. Will you take care of the Phantoms for me?"
"But I... I can't kill Phantoms..."

"Sir, is there anyone else left inside?"
Lao "A few customers..."
"Sir, if you could go to Vigilance Headquarters and get help, I'll get the others out."
"What?"
"Could you get the people outside? I'll take care of the Phantoms."
"But you're not a member yet."
"That has nothing to do with it. People need help."

Kun. Providing an insight into every young male's mind. Showboating and being the hero.

Posha, the anti-matter to everything awesome. Also stereotypical logic.
Shut up Posha, I'm obviously cool by owning a sword and swinging it around with no practice,
where the most realistic outcome would be self mutilation. I've played video games. I know how to fight!
Now get me my fedora, I've got a neckbeard to grow.

Posha and Kun heads inside the pub.

To be continued...

Next time we'll briefly cover combat again... very briefly.

Sazero fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 24, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. I mean, I know Posha was kind of a total load when we met her with Toxa but this self-deprecating poo poo seems like it'll get old fast.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Last time, Kun was on his way to Vigilance Headquarters.
He met Posha along the way and discovered the local pub to be under attack from Phantoms.
Kun decided it was an excellent opportunity to showboat his sick triple 360 noscope 420 blazeswag skills.
Posha... Just kinda tagged along.

Lacryma Episode 2 Chapter 1 pt.3

"But they're dangerous... We should wait for back up."
"I'm pretty good with a sword. How strong could Phantoms be?"
Not very.
"Umm... Is this your first time fighting Phantoms?"
"it's my first time seeing one. They're not allowed in my country."

I hit the button a bit too fast here, but it's just standard tutorial stuff.

The cavalry is here! Still, we don't particularly need Lacryma and Troy for this. It's.. kind of really easy.

I just wanted to show off Troy, being less than gracious. Because Troy is a bully, and bullies get bullied.

"Thank God, you're here..."
"Are you from Vigilance?"
"Yes, but who are you?"
"I'm the new recruit Kun. I'll help you with these Phantoms."
"Thanks, it will be helpful."

If only because I need more people to help me loot everything.

"Ok, Ok..."

Yes, that's right. Only 6 Miles Phantoms. In comparison to Toxa's 9 enemy Phantoms and Misty.
So it wouldn't be all that unfeasable for Kun to do this alone. Well maybe except for a few things, that makes him different from Toxa.

"Who, me?"
"Of course! Doll is stronger than Shadow. Common is stronger than Doll. How can we win with only Common Miles"

Troy kind of explains how the Phantoms interact with each other kind of awkwardly here. Alana did a much better job.
Well speaking of Alana she does many things better than a lot of characters.

Yeah, guess what? Kun is from a country where Phantoms are forbidden, so he can obviously not create Phantoms.
Not that Troy'd know that.

Troy stands frozen in disbelief for a moment

"Oh, man..."
"What should I do?"
"Don't get killed. Phantoms can be replaced, but humans are different."

IT*S TIME FOR A PUB BRAWL LADIES AND LADYMEN. :getin:

So this is our party for a while. It's quite different from Toxa's party.
First of all we only have 1 person who can create Phantoms.
Lacryma can't because she is a Shrine Warrior.
Kun can't because he is grew up in a country where Phantoms are forbidden.
Posha is... Posha :sigh:
So that only leaves Troy.

Also note how Troy and Posha is wielding frigging spears. Posha has the excuse of being Posha, but
come on Troy, you have no reason to pick a lovely weapon like that.

Anyways, that's not the only difference between Toxa's and Lacryma's party.

First up is Kun. He is Lacryma's Duran. Solid C rank equips. He comes with lovely armor,
and an even worse hat. Seriously. who the gently caress travels around in loving armor made of WOOD and a straw hat.
There needs to be fan art of this.

Anyways his most crippling flaw right now is his 1! <-------- Kartia stat. 1.
Just... Wow Kun, do you even know what a book is? Can you even read? He has the lowest Kartia stat in the game.
When you have stats worse than Posha, you seriously need to reevaluate your worth as a person. That's pretty damning. But unfortunately he isn't the worst unit on our team. :sigh:

Well I can't handle all the bad news all at once. So let's see the great and idolized Lacryma. Protagonist and leader of this group.

WHAT THE poo poo IS THIS POOP? D EQUIP RANKS? SHE STARTS WITH A loving E RANK SPIRIT KNIFE?
Compare Lacryma to Alana. There is just no contest, Alana is the better unit, with C rank weapons and D rank armor.
and a Kartia stat of 4. And she can create Phantoms. What the poo poo does Lacryma got on Alana? She can't even loving wield the Fire Arm. Greatest warrior of Vigilance my donkey butt.

(To be fair she has excellent magic defence, which is harder to raise and Kartia is the most dangerous thing out there for quite a while.)

I don't really need to say anything here do I? Posha has the worst of everyone. 12 overall magic defence.
The lowest equip rank possible. She only wins over Kun in Kartia stat, and that's only by 1. And only because Kun's Kartia stat is literally the worst out of everyone we've seen.

E rank weapons and D rank armor. No one cares about equipment anyways, It's all about the cards man.
And Troy is the Magic The Gathering master we all know him to be. 4 Kartia stat and our Phantom creator.
I honestly don't have anything else to say about Troy.

Anyways this map is only 6 Miles Phantoms and there are no enemy reinforcements or anything to spice the map up.
So here is all the interesting loot.

Oh look the sword that Toxa started with... thanks game.

This is the "Stone" Text, good to have you back buddy.

The party kills the 6 Miles Phantoms.

"Check to see there aren't any of them left."
"I think we got them all."
"This side is clear."
"You two, don't allow the spectators to watch. Troy, take a look at this. I've found something."
"She sure knows how to be a leader."
"She's tough. You'd better watch out."

This mission is SO easy, I didn't even lose any Phantoms and I use them rather recklessly.

I can't remember what the Text is, and I can't be bothered to look it up.
The Miles Boots are like the Behead Armor. It gives a rather hefty defense boost and increased experience gain.

Appearently Kartia isn't completely... Consumed? Upon usage. Sort of like an bom--- Oh no. CSI: Kartia.
I don't actually watch CSI, so I don't know any CSI jokes. I'm sorry.

"I'll do whatever it takes. I won't forgive who did this."
"We kept damage to a minimum. We did great."
"Can you fix the shop before Alana comes bacK?"
"Do I look like a carpenter?"

"All the people are safe."
"That's great."
"Thank you Posha. You did great."
"I..."
"Don't spoil her, Lacryma. Anyone can usher people to safety."
"You're right..."

"Shut up! You don't know anything."
"What!?"
"Stop it, Troy! What is your problem?"
"Relax. A little drink will make me happy."
"Don't be offended Kn. He's always like that."
"No problem..."

No, be offended! Punch that jerks teeth out and break his knee caps. Jerks shouldn't be allowed to be asshats, just because they're always asshats.

"I'm the Encrypter Troy. I know everything about Kartia. And this beautiful lady here is Lacryma."
"She was anointed as a Shrine Warrior when she was 18!"
"Wow!"
"She's also the daughter or Kainas."
"Troy, stop..."
"Kainas? That's the same name as this town..."
"He was the greatest Shrine Warrior. He's legendary."
"I would love to meet him someday."
"My father died when I was little..."
"I'm sorry..."

A Kyau is running around.

"I think you already know Posha. I hope you two get along."
"Nice to meet you."
"Nice to meet you too."
"Did you know Rimzan is also the head of the Knights?"
"I didn't know... But now I know why he told me to come here."
"There are two other members. One is a tomboy and the other is a square headed warrior. They will be back this week."
"Tomboy and a square headed warrior?"
"I'm not going to help you when they find out..."
"How will they know? Anyway, let's get going."
"Where to?"
"The people are throwing a thank you party for us."

Troy scares the Kyau away.

"What about you?"
"There's something I want to check on."
"Let me help."
"Thanks, but I can handle this."
"But..."
"She's addicted to work. Leave her alone."
"Don't worry about me. Have fun."
"I feel bad going to the party like this."
"You shouldn't. Besides, you're the hero."
"Should I bring something back for you?"
"I'm fine. Thanks anyway."
"Don't work too hard, Lacryma."
"I'll be fine. Enjoy the party."

So after Lacryma has told everyone she is fine for the fifth time, and oh god, you guys, just gently caress off already. She looks at the half burned Kartia.

The Kyau from earlier approaches Lacryma.

And so Lacryma, unable to deal with the stress of being a JRPG protagonist, became a crazy Kyau lady.

poo poo, Kun. You show up in loving Wood Armor and a Straw Hat, and expect to be annointed a Knight?
Good luck finding a job dude.

So I'm going to assume that people use Kyau strings to create Silk Kartia. But you need Silk Kartia to create Kyau and... So.. But how did... Which came first? The Kyau or the Silk Kartia?

Err... Kun, there were 6 Phantoms.. Multiple. And the Phantoms weren't even close to being a danger.

Lacryma Episode 2 Chapter 1. END.

Sazero fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 24, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, Troy really is carrying that team, isn't he?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
We dealt with the enemy, and it seems the encrypter had to cut and run?

:frogc00l:

CSI jokes are all puns.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Yes, Alana is both a better fighter and a better caster than Lacryma. Take note of that, it's not just a gameplay abstraction.

I feel bad for you grinding out these early chapters. The story moves slowly, the battles are limited in scope/tactics, you don't have much Text to play around with... honestly the first ~4-5 chapters in both scenarios always felt a little weak to me. It's also sorta hard because like half the game is :words: without much interaction. I know that's not exactly rare in an RPG, but even linear jRPGs usually have town exploration, or shops to visit, or optional side quests, or <i>something</i> to do other than fight. Kartia does not. When the battle is over, all you can do is advance the script or skip the scene. So between fights you basically read a play performed on an isometric stage. That's not everyone's idea of a good time (to say the least), but the story rewards are there for people who are into that.

Speaking of the story, are you transcribing this all yourself, or did you find a text dump somewhere?

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I'm... *sob* I'm transcribing it all by hand. It's largely why the first update took 9 hours to make.

Lacryma chapter 2 at least has a secret that is all kinds of RNG BULLSHIT ARGH I loving HATE THAT SECRET. :argh:

Still the first chapters is rather solid in setting up the characters, the story and building the world. It feels like reading a book, except when things get too dry, you get a combat section.
The game feels very :words: because of the presentation in the SSLP format.
When you play the game the scenes are animated, there's sound and music, so kind of counter-intuitively a video format might have been a better choice to present the game in.

But then you'd miss out on my charming and well written commentary. :)

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Don't get me wrong, I genuinely like this game. I'm just glad you're enjoying the early chapters, because IMO it only gets better from here.

I feel ya on the "SSLP or video?" question, because both have serious drawbacks: you don't get the animations/sound effects with screenshots, but videos present their own problems (for instance, half the viewers saying "it's too fast" and the other half saying "it's too slow".) And, as you say, losing the commentary is just heart-breaking. :v: IMO, the writing and art direction (and commentary) hold up well enough that even without the flourishes, you can follow and enjoy the story. So I'd just keep doing the SSLP and not worry about it. The game is what it is, y'know?

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Lacryma Episode 4 Chapter 2 pt.1

Last time on CSI: Kartia, we were introduced to Kun's debilitating alcoholism, which lead to a bar fight with some wild phantoms.
After the rambunctious throw down, Lacryma stumbled upon evidence that suggests the phantoms were not wild at all. And in fact might have been
terrorism. After this startling revelation, they threw a party to celebrate just how radicool they were. Except for Lacryma, who is a huge nerd, who'd rather
study than party. Man what a nerd.*

*Atleast half of this is a creative retelling of the events that really happened.

We join Lacryma as she is examining the Kartia remains she found in after the pub fight.

The village of Kainas is actually a border village between Crosslands and Idorus.
Comparatively Shinon Estate is more or less directly north of Kainas, but both are part of the same country.
I guess by this comment we are currently in Crosslands.

I'll just take it at Lacryma's word that the portrait portrays the visage of her father.

Due to how Vigilance does salary, not many people, rich or poor would find it a viable career choice.

I guess what Troy is saying is that, you just tell people what they want to hear and look out for youself? Maybe? :shrug:

I don't know what they told Troy about the new guy joining. But appearently he had gotten his hopes up, only to be let down.
Anyways that's the story reason as to why Kun only has 1 Kartia stat.

Silly Troy. Vigilance doesn't pay. At all.

Vigilance HQ.

We join in medias res. Kun probaly asked what the hell it is Vigilance actually does. And it sounds like it's a bit of a multi talent agency.

"So we do everything."
"When something breaks, we fix it. We're a free public service."
"That's great!"
"Are you stupid?"
"What?"
"Everytime we do something, we lose money. That's how it works. You can't expect to get paid."
"Then why did you join Vigilance?"
"For the Kartia license, kid. That's all."
"Nanomachines!? Kartia license?"
"You need to be qualified to use powerful Kartia. Since I have an Encrypter license, I can create Phantoms."
"I see... But why do you need to be a member?"
"The license I want requires me to work for Vigilance of the Knights. That's why I'm stuck here."
"I see... All this time, I thought that you were a good person."
:catstare: Posha, did you even pay any attention when Troy has ever spoken to you? Or were you too busy thinking about how awful you are? I'm starting to think you deserve the treatment Troy is giving you. Almost.

Anyways This means that Toxa also has an Encrypter license, given how he can create Phantoms and has a compareable Kartia stat of 3 to Troy's 4. And to clarify you don't have to work for Vigilance or the Knights in order to have an Encrypter license. What Troy want is an even higher license, and that is what requires him to work for Vigilance. So Troy is striving for personal power. What he wants to do with that power remains to be seen.

Not sure what Kun lied about to make Troy prompt this. Maybe he told Vigilance about this once time he cast the sickest spell on a dragon and it like, totally combustsplotioned into sunglasses and skateboards. True story man.
Troy was a true Kun fan, writing fanfiction and going by the nick xXxCunxXx on the pubs bulletin board. That is until he actually met Kun and got disappointed. Never meet your heroes kids.

"What!?"
"So... Anyway, Vigilance is basically charity."
"So..."
"That's a bad follow up. Will you stop?"
"Ok..."
And so Posha channels her inner Misty.

"Anyway... There's not much I can do, since I'm only good with a sword."
"There's other things we do. Such as holding prisoners, killing wild Phantoms, and such."
So wild phantoms are actually a common problem and not a sign of fantasy Ragnarok.

"Like yesterday's incident?"
"Since the Knights are up north, we have to take over."
"The Cross Land Knights are up north?"
"A rebellion occured in Nordia. It's serious."
"The Knights are there to take care of them?"
"The Rebels started to affect our country as well."

So both Idorus and Cross Land Knights are being moved to Nordia to fight the rebellion.

"So we don't have to worry about any Rebels in town?"
"For the enemy, this is the best time to attack us."
"It's time for us to work."
"It will be busy."

Speaking about getting busy, there's already another incident to solve it appears. Though I find it odd that a town both has a police force AND Vigilance.

"I'm Troy... Why do you ask?"
Encrypter Police. "We are here to arrest you on suspicion of theft. You have the right to remain silent..."

Oh. Well poo poo. Like him or not Troy is my best caster. Don't take that away from me game. I NEED Troy for the next mission

This little part happens after Toxa chapter 2. Not that it's important, but I thought you'd wanna know.

Aw poo poo yeah, let's get our CSI on. Hold on, let me grab my leather jacket and aviator sunglasses.

Kainas Encrypter School. 15:47

Encrypter Police "The professor doesn't remember asking you anything."
"He's saying that to save his own butt."

Prosecutor Lacryma and her assistant Kun, shows up on the scene.

Encrypter Police "I can't tell you. As of now, only the thief and I know what was stolen."
"When was it stolen?"
Encrypter Police "I saw it yesterday. But it was missing this morning. It was between yesterday and today."
"Troy was the only one who entered during that time?"
Encrypter Police "There are two Encrypters on guard everyday. Those two witnessed everything."

It looks pretty damning and Troy is in some real deep poo poo.

Thankfully Lacryma did her examination properly and has a hidden ace in the hole.

"Troy, did you really do it?"
"Shut up, stupid!"
Encrypter Police "We have no intention of releasing this to the public. Lacryma, can you take care of this business in private?"
"What do you have in mind?"
Encrypter Police "If he returns the thing he stole, we will not prosecute him. We will allow you to judge him."

Encrypter Police "Troy will only lose his license. That's all."
"May I ask the two Encrypters questions?"

CROSS EXAMINATION

BEGIN!
:siren:MUSIC:Investigation:siren:

Hmm, there is something about this guy that seems familiar...

Well we already know who this guy is. But for those of you with bad memory, well you'll just have to go back and read the LP again. Hint: The name he has given us here is very close to his real name. Worst spy ever.

Krause "Here, of course..."

==> Present Pub Owners Testimony.

:siren:MUSIC:Lying Coldly:siren:

"Don't lie to me. I already have witnesses who saw you there."
Krause "I did go to the pub to see what was going on... But he was here while I was gone.[/b]
"Then he can be in the library while you're gone."
Zakuro "Wait a minute. Am I a suspect?"

Back down? => Present evidence

=> Present Burned Kartia

Encrypter Police "A Kartia?"
"This Kartia is used to create Phantoms. Only certain people are able to use this Kartia."
Encrypter Police "I understand. But what does this have to do with the theft?"

=> Present Inn Visitor's Log

"This Kartia was issued by the kingdom of Idorus. I checked the visitor's log and found that one person from Idorus has been here."
Zakuro "I was sent here by the Idorus Encrypter School. What does that have to do with anything?"
"So, he can set up the Phantoms and go to the school. Once everything started, one will stay while the other stole the thing."
Encrypter Police "Is this true?"
Zakuro "No way!"
"Sir, he's the thief!"

Zakuro "Where's the proof that I stole the Text!?"

"Oops, you're busted!"
Zakuro "What!?"

=> Present Encrypter Police's Statement

"So, the thing that was stolen was Text?"
Encrypter Police "How did you know? You must be the one!"

Verdict: GUILTY!
You can stop the Phoenix Wright music now :v:

Zakuro attacks the Encrypter Police

Let's make a Zakuro portrait! NOPE :colbert:

Zakuro escapes

"Too bad we can't use a Fire Kartia."
"Why not?"
"Think Kun, think! It will burn all the other Text!"

But casting foundation shattering Earth Kartia is totally okey, aswell as flooding the room with Water Kartia.
Or shooting lightning bolts with Wind Kartia. Thankfully even though Troy says Fire can destroy the Text, it actually has no consequence on the map. But since that's a headache and a half on it's own I'll postpone it to next update.

To be concluded...

And now to spend the rest of my vacation playing Phoenix Wright games... :sigh:

Sazero fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 24, 2015

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I got many chuckles out of that update. So much so that it woke up my girlfriend who was asleep next to me. Well played, sir.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Zakuro, if you already stole this poo poo, why are you still hanging around?

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Lotish posted:

Zakuro, if you already stole this poo poo, why are you still hanging around?

Why did Zakuro stick around to frame Troy? He could just have dodged town when he had grabbed the Text.
Maybe there was a reason Zakuro had to frame Troy and stick around?

It's not really a huge deal, but when we know more, we can reasonably conclude why Zakuro didn't just bolt at first chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Oh, please let this push the thread to a new page! I think it took about five minutes for my poor laptop to load the update this time.

And Troy is a text-book bully. He gives way to those stronger than him (Lacryma), but preys on the weaker (Posha, Kun) without hesitation. And yet I still think he's a better character than Toxa.

edit: nope, still on the same page.

• Locked thread