Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cheez posted:

The book was designed specifically to make nerds stop talking about Zelda timelines. It failed.

I honestly think it was made because the claim that a Zelda timeline did in fact exist was a complete and total bluff and Zelda fans finally called Nintendo on it enough that they were forced to try and come up with something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Neruz posted:

I honestly think it was made because the claim that a Zelda timeline did in fact exist was a complete and total bluff and Zelda fans finally called Nintendo on it enough that they were forced to try and come up with something.

The thing is, they used to say there was no timeline. Then they turned around and said they did. Then the book appeared.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There's always been sort of a timeline, at least since Ocarina of Time was clearly about the backstory of Link to the Past. Hard to deny the connection there.

But, some games were fit neatly into a timeline while others are more like a different story that happens to fit in the Zelda genre.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Minish Cap is clearly a prequel to Ocarina of Time as well. As much as Nintendo didn't really think about the chronology of the series in the grand scheme of things, there definitely were certain games that were intended to be set either before or after other games in the series.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

gently caress the timeline.
It's all separate worlds.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

That's the thing, it's out there now in book form, so Nintendo's kinda locked themselves to it, lets hope the Mario Historia isn't next. :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Judge Tesla posted:

Lets hope the Mario Historia isn't next. :v:

All the Marios happen within the scope of a few days.
Mushrooms are known to distort the sensation of time.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 4, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

But several of the games mention the other games by name. Kinda hard to just ignore.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Hyrule timeline was set by people in Nintendo gathered around a Pachinko machine with the balls all labeled with different games. The CD-I ones were set on the other end of the table away from everything else and they just attached connectors to whatever came out.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kind of seems like Hyrule is screwed in every timeline though. Strange to think Windwaker is the most optimistic one as it's a rebirth of Hyrule of sorts.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Mario has PTSD, all the sequels are just him re-living the first few games over and over in flashbacks with his memory fudging some details each time.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
The can fix the mess of Hyrule Historia by just claiming the next Zelda game is a reboot of the entire franchise, starting the madness all over again.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cartheon posted:

The can fix the mess of Hyrule Historia by just claiming the next Zelda game is a reboot of the entire franchise, starting the madness all over again.

That would be really dumb and would just end up alienating their fans though?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

The only fans it'll alienate are the ones nobody wants to be associated with.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cheez posted:

The only fans it'll alienate are the ones nobody wants to be associated with.

Yeah, no, there's actually a thing with something having a solid backstory having a bit better ground to stand on compared to something that is a complete blank slate. Besides, I don't really see what a reboot would give the series that it doesn't already have?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Actually the red mushrooms Mario eats look similar to a real life mushroom that is known for causing hallucinations that screw up perception of size when ingested. :tinfoil:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mordaedil posted:

Yeah, no, there's actually a thing with something having a solid backstory having a bit better ground to stand on compared to something that is a complete blank slate. Besides, I don't really see what a reboot would give the series that it doesn't already have?

Considering no Zelda game uses that solid backstory to stand on and gives you all the information you need then and there in the game.
They were intended to be standalone but very loosely connected. Like two different plays using the same characters and props.

What does the series gain from being interconnected beyond fulfilling that quintessential nerd need to have everything have an in-universe explanation and for it all to fit together?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Considering no Zelda game uses that solid backstory to stand on and gives you all the information you need then and there in the game.
They were intended to be standalone but very loosely connected. Like two different plays using the same characters and props.

What does the series gain from being interconnected beyond fulfilling that quintessential nerd need to have everything have an in-universe explanation and for it all to fit together?

Like it or not, it's there now, Nintendo have released not only a timeline, but an entire book detailing it down to the small details, I'll agree that it didn't need to exist but it does now.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

"I don't like it, so they should change it, because nobody will care if they change it" is your argument, but really, there isn't any incentive for Nintendo to actually go back now that they've made an official statement of how they are connected.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mordaedil posted:

"I don't like it, so they should change it, because nobody will care if they change it" is your argument, but really, there isn't any incentive for Nintendo to actually go back now that they've made an official statement of how they are connected.

It's not that I don't like it.
It serves no purpose, adds no extra flavor bar some trivia that does not matter within the scope of each game.
When no game in the series affects another's story what is the payoff from saying they are connected?

Not that Zelda games are some bastion of good writing, mind.

Wait no it did do something.
It sold a book.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Who the gently caress really cares though in the grand scheme of things?

We are talking about a series where the original game was the first chronologically, but then A Link to the Past was, no wait Ocarina of Time was, poo poo Minish Cap totally is though.... wait, wait, Skyward Sword is now.

Hyrule Historia was a revenue making way to attempt to get dumb nerds to stop asking about the official timeline and hopefully stop nerding out on this crap so much already. It didn't achieve the latter and it's far from stopping them from putting the next game in the series where ever the gently caress chronologically they feel like.

Also I am jumping on the bandwagon that says this remake looks nice and can't wait for MM to get the same treatment in a couple of months.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Okay, lemme try snarking Rigged Death Trap's point and seeing if that helps.

'Obviously, knowing that Skyward Sword takes place during Minish Cap which itself is happening concurrently as Phantom Hourglass which oddly enough ends just seven minutes before Ocarina of Time begins helps improve the incredible Legend of Zelda series's cumulative quality tenfold. :smug:'

"Totally a Rigged Death Trap" posted:

Okay, so now we have a list of which game came before/after the others.

How does that affect the games when they don't do things related to the last ones like Metal Gear Solid or Dead Rising or Batman Arkham series do? It's like caring when each Far Cry game is happening.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Okay, lemme try snarking Rigged Death Trap's point and seeing if that helps.

'Obviously, knowing that Skyward Sword takes place during Minish Cap which itself is happening concurrently as Phantom Hourglass which oddly enough ends just seven minutes before Ocarina of Time begins helps improve the incredible Legend of Zelda series's cumulative quality tenfold. :smug:'

Crawfish posted:

Hyrule Historia was a revenue making way to attempt to get dumb nerds to stop asking about the official timeline and hopefully stop nerding out on this crap so much already. It didn't achieve the latter and it's far from stopping them from putting the next game in the series where ever the gently caress chronologically they feel like.

People seem to assume Nintendo thinks like they do, which I feel might not actually be the case. They probably didn't release a book on Zelda timelines to get nerds to stop nerding, but to get the average Joe to talk about it too and share in it to create a meta-myth of the series.

At the end of the day though, it really doesn't matter what we say in here, Nintendo is just going to keep doing the series as they want to and I have a hard time seeing a reboot being the way they go with it.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

People seem to assume Nintendo thinks like they do, which I feel might not actually be the case. They probably didn't release a book on Zelda timelines to get nerds to stop nerding, but to get the average Joe to talk about it too and share in it to create a meta-myth of the series.

You say that, but Nintendo was getting really tired of people asking them about the Zelda timeline and telling them "there is no timeline" again and again.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cheez posted:

You say that, but Nintendo was getting really tired of people asking them about the Zelda timeline and telling them "there is no timeline" again and again.

You say that as if you work at Nintendo. Also, you are the nerd that complain about dodongo hates smoke. You are the type of nerd who would miss this poo poo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mordaedil posted:

You say that as if you work at Nintendo. Also, you are the nerd that complain about dodongo hates smoke. You are the type of nerd who would miss this poo poo.

I could say the same about you, claiming Nintendo wants to cultivate the 'meta-myth' in public view.

Mordaedil posted:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

You took my "anger" seriously like an idiot, not my problem. At least I made an informative post instead of speculative bullshit. Are you the same kind of person who thinks "I am Error" is a translation mistake too?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Okay now you all need to shut the gently caress up.

E: Oh, the things I do to have a thread that's actually active.
(From Twitter:)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 5, 2015

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
When I wished you a more active thread, thorn, I didn't mean it like this. I'm sorry if I jinxed it somehow. :(

As I mentioned on one of the videos though, I like the idea of a sociopathic link Groose whose unchanging expression and cold stare makes everyone he encounters extremely uncomfortable.

kaiten80
Oct 31, 2012
Groose really is the hero that Hyrule deserves.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Question: is the game engine for the 3DS version the same from the original version? I mean, it looks the same, but the added animations skew my perception. Also, 4 items at once, and the ocarina now has its own dedicated button? Makes me wonder.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

ThornBrain posted:

Okay now you all need to shut the gently caress up.

E: Oh, the things I do to have a thread that's actually active.
(From Twitter:)

I told you the Monkey's paw was a bad idea: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
(Seriously which pharaoh's tomb did you desecrate to make your non-Zelda threads so inactive?)

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

bman in 2288 posted:

Question: is the game engine for the 3DS version the same from the original version? I mean, it looks the same, but the added animations skew my perception.

The engine is essentially the same (or at least very close to the original) but from what I understand they "recreated" it rather than straight up ported it. They changed some stuff like the frequency of collision detection and such, but seeing how they apparently had to actually "implement" some of the old bugs and unwittingly created new ones on the side, I suspect they basically wrote a new engine while using the old one more as a reference rather than reimplementing the old one line for line as close as they could have.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Odds are the old engine was intrinsically tied to the N64 hardware so I would expect they'd have had to rebuild it from scratch using the old one as reference.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

Mordaedil posted:

I was jesting. It was why I included the "starting the madness all over again" comment.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cartheon posted:

I was jesting. It was why I included the "starting the madness all over again" comment.

It got kinda hard to tell in here, but you're alright. :unsmith:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Judge Tesla posted:

That's the thing, it's out there now in book form, so Nintendo's kinda locked themselves to it, lets hope the Mario Historia isn't next. :v:

http://www.lemmykoopa.com/lk1-5.html

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Noooo don't bring this back up. :(

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Woah mama, now that site's a blast from the past, I've not visited that place since 2003 and it looks exactly the same now as it did then. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S6ZJZER2Iw

Anyone want to buy my Link Between Worlds edition to fund my getting this awesomeness? Seriously, they stepped up the quality big time, that one just had a big triforce on it.

• Locked thread